Why do people want there 3 & 4 year olds to write and read? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamama View Post
Well, I guess I should explain, then. My ds has severe oral and verbal apraxia, hyperlexia, autism, and a bunch of other labels I don't particularly care for. Apraxia ia a neurological motor planning speech disorder. He was evaluated for it at 23 months. And every therapist I have ever spoken with or met with him has mentioned the hyperlexia. Actually I had never even heard the term before his forst eval. Apparently the therapist had her notebook open and he kept pointing to words in it when she said them without pictures to match. Very simple words, but still. Hyperlexia is an ability to read at a very young age but it also comes with other issues. He was extremely fluent in sign language at a young age, which is part of how we knew he was reading. He would point to words and sign them, one right after another. He could do that for whole books. Books we had never read to him and words I'm quite sure he had never seen in print. We never had flashcards, but we used real books. I didn't teach him the alphabet either and he had never seen Sesame Street, yet at 16 months he could point to the letters of the alphabet randomly.
If we go by the definition that it's not reading until they are fluent, well he may not sound fluent for years and years or never since there are still so many sounds he can't say, but I can tell he can read the words because I know how he says certain sounds. He may never have a normal speech pattern and he may always be hard to understand. He didn'e learn to speak till he was 4. He couldn't even say the sound "ma" till he was 3 1/2. He's 5 1/2 and can now speak in full sentences and carry on a conversation but is probably still only about 10% intelligible to people outside the family.
However, I do use phonics exercises with him because we discovered that he can learn sounds more easily if he can visualize the letter. He actually speaks more clearly while reading than not because he can see the letters in front of him while he's saying them and for some reason it works.
Thanks for the explanation! I should explain what I meant by "fluent" as well. I meant "reading" fluently, not speaking fluently. Some people say their children are "reading" as soon as they sound out their first word. I consider a child to be reading fluently when they can sit down with a book and read (and comprehend) it (either out loud, silently or with sign language).
#62 of 62 Old 01-28-2007, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I think it goes back to the same kind of thinking that makes people want their babies weaned, walking ,etc early- like kids are somehow "better" if they turn into adults sooner.

Sure, some kids are ready to read and/or write at 3 or 4, but most aren't. I think that most people simply don't respect what little kids ARE and can do, and try to push them into being "bigger kids" sooner.
:
I totally agree. I learned to read at 6, but I wasn't interested in reading until 8, and then only comic books interested me. But lo and behold, I graduated from college summa cum laude with a GPA of 3.99.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page