Homeschooling in PA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-25-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are probably going to move to Pennsylvania this year.

A friend of mine (who doesn't actually live in PA) says that homeschooling is difficult in PA. I read the homeschooling law and it doesn't seem much different from Ohio.

Can anyone in PA give me an overview of what you have to do to be "in compliance"?

Thanks!

Namaste!
#2 of 14 Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 AM

I'm in Southeast Pennsylvania. Personally, I don't find the requirements here that terrible - a pain in the behind, yes, and I'd certainly prefer that they weren't on the books. They are, though, and I have to deal with them although I think their ickiness is overrated. It's generally a matter of being organized and perhaps a little creative, so I don't think you'll have a problem.

I have a couple links (on another computer, of course) that I'll PM you in the next day or so. There is one organization that I can steer you to with confidence and one I want to warn you away from, so please watch for that.

And congrats on your move! I love living here - we moved away twice, each time for three years, and keep coming back. I think this time it's for good.
#3 of 14 Old 01-25-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Do the kids HAVE to be standardized tested in grades 3, 5, and 8? There seems to be some debate about that on the homeschool list I found.

I look forward to the links!

Namaste!
#4 of 14 Old 01-25-2007, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama View Post
Do the kids HAVE to be standardized tested in grades 3, 5, and 8? There seems to be some debate about that on the homeschool list I found.

Namaste!
The tests are mandatory. I guess the debate comes in because you decide what grade your dc is in and some people decide their dc is in second grade, then skips them to fourth in order to avoid the tests. There is potential trouble in doing that because the school district might give you a hard time, making things unpleasant. I don't have any real life experience since ds is only 5 and I don't have to file until he is 8. I have heard that I happen to live in a school district that doesn't require a portfolio.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 14 Old 01-25-2007, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One nice thing in PA is you don't have to start jumping through hoops til age 8/third grade. So, I really haven't had to do anything yet.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 14 Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 AM

Id like to know more about this too...I have a 3.5 yr old that I will probably homeschool
#7 of 14 Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Namaste!
we just moved to PA from MD (which is an easy state). It is manadtory that you submit test scores for your children from those years. However, it is really easy to work within the law and still homeschool in a way that works for you. We are unschoolers, and do things fairly different than is "expected" but I use the "educationalese" and have found a great evaluator that is also an unschooling mama. SHe has been invaluable in working through the legalities of hs'ing in PA.
#8 of 14 Old 02-01-2007, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

I refuse to have my kids standardized tested. I flat out refuse. I was wondering whether, for those years that they are supposed to be tested, I could enroll them in a private umbrella school so that technically they are private school students rather than homeschoolers? Would they still have to submit test scores?

Namaste!
#9 of 14 Old 02-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unfortunately, I don't think that would work. As far as I know, even private and umbrella schools need to comply with the state law for testing. If it helps, it doesn't count for anything. They can't look at your child's scores and say, "Oops, sorry, you're not doing well enough, you can't homeschool anymore." Personally, I plan on treating it like a fun exercise in filling in dots.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 14 Old 02-01-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
If it helps, it doesn't count for anything. They can't look at your child's scores and say, "Oops, sorry, you're not doing well enough, you can't homeschool anymore." Personally, I plan on treating it like a fun exercise in filling in dots.
Hmmm. I know that in Ohio, if you are homeschooling and you opt to have your kids tested, they must test at the 25th percentile or above.

So, what are the implications for a child getting into college if all their standardized test scores are zero?

How is the test handled? I don't even want to have to take my kids somewhere where they must sit through a test.

Namaste!
#11 of 14 Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. I know that in Ohio, if you are homeschooling and you opt to have your kids tested, they must test at the 25th percentile or above.

So, what are the implications for a child getting into college if all their standardized test scores are zero?

How is the test handled? I don't even want to have to take my kids somewhere where they must sit through a test.

Namaste!
Do colleges even see those scores? I didn't think they did.
#12 of 14 Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 PM

I'm interested in this too. I'm subscribing!

~Kiyomi~ Unschooling mom to one very chatty, very amazing 7 year old bundle of boy
#13 of 14 Old 02-01-2007, 04:39 PM

Look into Upattinas School. My step-daughter went there. They are a democratic school, but they are also an umbrella school for homeschoolers and they do not do standardized testing. It's what I would use were I still in PA.
#14 of 14 Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I pretty sure the parent can administer the test. I don't think you have to take them someplace.
Here's a link people may find helpful.
http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/index.html

This is the part about testing.
http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/...oltesting.html

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page