resource/community centers for home/unschoolers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
We've been able to actually get out in our community as hsers. I dont think I would want to be a slave to a building, since there are already so many places we can go to participate in in our community, right in the community. (lol long sentences R Us).
Thanks for your input. It's helpful to read because I think that there must be a lot of people like you where I live--that like to be busy going from place to place. This isn't me--unless, maybe, I lived in a small self-sufficient town. Actually, this was my initial plan: to move to a smaller village/town where we could walk everywhere and see people bustling about (no, not people in business suits on cell phones--people *in* the community). I've sort of given up on this idea because I don't know if it exists in America (where it's not a million dollars to buy a modest home, and where dh could get a decent job).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Fi, when we want to do a book club, we meet and talk about books, we've also done knitting and cooking groups, drumminng, and seed exchanges. We have a CSA program, food coop, library programs etc. We've also met at various ice and roller rinks, and Y's, 4 -H club programming, community centers etc. We've done inter generational programming
The way I see it, almost all these activities, above, can be done in the same complex.

I find that in order for us to feel really comfortable and settled, we need to be in a place for about 3 hours. And then hopefully we can stay 3 or so more hours! I don't have an interest in loading up in the car to go from event to event. I want to get to know the people around me, to be relaxed, and allow creativity and conversation to flow naturally. I think of a complex being a huge living room or town center where all the neighbors meet. Also, I don't like to live by the clock--rather, by natural rhythms. Am I anti-American? I wonder...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbtoys View Post
Ideally, I would have found a parks & rec dept that would buy into meeting the needs of homeschoolers by offering a drop in sort of thing, but it was a tough sell. I think we are terribly unrepresented as far as public support.
Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I like the idea of a city-owned facility too. I'd be willing to pay a membership in order to hang out there. I think strictly homeschoolers would not allow for the intergenerational community I crave. And we don't need to hang out with *only* homeschoolers. I want to be part of the community at large. OTOH, if there's a cool learning facility already set up, I'd use that
Old 02-02-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyMN View Post

I find that in order for us to feel really comfortable and settled, we need to be in a place for about 3 hours. And then hopefully we can stay 3 or so more hours! I don't have an interest in loading up in the car to go from event to event. I want to get to know the people around me, to be relaxed, and allow creativity and conversation to flow naturally. I think of a complex being a huge living room or town center where all the neighbors meet. Also, I don't like to live by the clock--rather, by natural rhythms. Am I anti-American? I wonder...
This is the main issue for me. It is so difficult to get all 4 of my ducklings out the door. Once I get to planned spot, I do not want to have to let them back out the door again in an hour

I was to be able to relax, build friendships, maybe discuss a book "I" am reading, play with my children, go for a walk with other mamas and ducklings, color, play playdough......whatever.

I love traveling to other events......in theory. But I am ackowledging, it won't happen for us. I save events for when dh is home and we can go as a family.

Also....as a mama of a larger family, places do not seem to encourage our presence.....especially as homeschoolers.

Ex: at grocery store picking up treats for dance class and people are asking my son (7) why he is not in school???

I get sick of always having to explain. I just want to BE.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I like the idea of a city-owned facility too. I'd be willing to pay a membership in order to hang out there. I think strictly homeschoolers would not allow for the intergenerational community I crave. And we don't need to hang out with *only* homeschoolers. I want to be part of the community at large. OTOH, if there's a cool learning facility already set up, I'd use that
Ideally, this is what I would like as well.

Guess, we gotta start somewhere though

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-02-2007, 04:08 PM

I did like the ala carte homeschooling site. Thank you for posting it. I would love something like that, only Mon, Wed and Fri . That would still leave Tues and Thurs for field trips and sports or just playing outside. Guess I'm pretty alone in wanting something like that, huh? I don't need the classes to be named 2nd grade science. I think it is more interesting to group things like they do college classes - Medieval Literature, Statistics, Astronomy, Ancient Rome, Microbiology, Vikings, etc. Then if you have no interest in that, so be it. But I guess it would take a lot of different teachers (or a lot of parents teaching a class) to have a program that big. I would just group things loosely like 0-6 yrs, 6-12 yrs, 12-18 yrs, etc. to be more realistic. And you could have arts and crafts and free play every day. I think I should probably just give up now
Old 02-02-2007, 04:18 PM

Rikki Gard....I totally understand what you mean. I think that would be awesome! I would love to take "classes" like that....just really loose classes. No grades or anything. Just learning from others experience and/or knowledge.

Any one see the movie "Accepted"? Minus the goofiness.....it is kind of about an "unschooling" college

Wow....I "quotationed" alot in this post!

Old 02-02-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Gard View Post
I did like the ala carte homeschooling site. Thank you for posting it. I would love something like that, only Mon, Wed and Fri . That would still leave Tues and Thurs for field trips and sports or just playing outside. Guess I'm pretty alone in wanting something like that, huh? I don't need the classes to be named 2nd grade science. I think it is more interesting to group things like they do college classes - Medieval Literature, Statistics, Astronomy, Ancient Rome, Microbiology, Vikings, etc. Then if you have no interest in that, so be it. But I guess it would take a lot of different teachers (or a lot of parents teaching a class) to have a program that big. I would just group things loosely like 0-6 yrs, 6-12 yrs, 12-18 yrs, etc. to be more realistic. And you could have arts and crafts and free play every day. I think I should probably just give up now
You mean instead of "History" and "Math"? I think it'd be even cooler to have auto mechanics, home building, farming, cooking, gardening, hand crafts...My dream village would have small businesses where kids and adults could run inside and watch and ask questions, and even "intern" if they wanted.

That ala carte homeschooling place doeesn't go by age, but by learning level (can they read or not, etc.) which is pretty cool.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You mean instead of "History" and "Math"? I think it'd be even cooler to have auto mechanics, home building, farming, cooking, gardening, hand crafts...My dream village would have small businesses where kids and adults could run inside and watch and ask questions, and even "intern" if they wanted.

That ala carte homeschooling place doeesn't go by age, but by learning level (can they read or not, etc.) which is pretty cool.
Amy....maybe we are long lost twins!

That is EXACTLY the kind of things I would love to learn. They are also the types of skill I value in regards to my children's "education" Oh no.......quotations again!

Old 02-02-2007, 07:13 PM

Yeah, I like the learning level instead of age idea a lot. And definitely NO GRADES! Or HOMEWORK! EVER! ANd no one cares if you are absent or on vacation.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

So does anyone have a community center in their city similar to what I described in post #8?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Here is Olympia Community Free School, located in Olympia, Washington. Wow!

It looks like they offer their center to all the community, encouraging community learning and sharing. They have an office space, resource library, workshop, and classroom. The staff are mostly volunteers.

Quote:
Why FreeSchool?
Olympia is a community with amazing resources. There are folks here with many diverse talents and skills to share. Too often however, a lack of communication keeps us apart. The Free School is a synergy of the diverse ideas, talents, skills and resources of community members. We believe:
  • Learning occurs throughout our lifetimes and that the learning process can become a constant source of renewal and growth.
  • Everyone is a teacher and everyone is a student.
  • All people should have access to education without money as an obstacle
  • Providing learning opportunities in a free, open and non-hierarchical environment
Community members had a great deal of knowledge to share, and that Free School could offer a new learning experience in return.

The Free School works to facilitate this learning exchange as an instrument for individuals who want to learn in an open environment. We are a resource that provides free alternative educational opportunities to people of all ages and backgrounds. The FreeSchool also works for profound social change by serving as a model for education in the future.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Something like this would be a cool start for a learning center. The post says that families rented a home together...

I'm wondering if anyone has discovered any other existing learning centers. Please post about them.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 PM

I LOVE this convo! Great ideas and inspirations!

Quote:
Northern Light Learning Center

I was also told this by one of the members "This group has taken a lot of effort by the part of the board members to get started....I am sure that it is possible to do something simpler. The liability of having our own space is a huge issue, as is supervision of kids in relation to that, as well as how to distribute the work load more fairly."
We actually just bought a house in Ithaca and will be relocating for exactly the reasons you are talking about Amy. I am going to pm you.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

The Living School
Boulder, CO

Quote:
The Living School is a democratic, learner-centered educational environment that is community-based, experientially centered, and focused on the creativity and intelligence inherent in each student. We foster inquiry in each participant by allowing the school itself to be a living experiment in learning.

We are a nonprofit educational corporation...

Our Mission is to establish a trusting, supportive, and evolving environment where children and adults can learn, guided by curiosity and intrinsic motivation.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:27 PM

Amy, I tried to pm you, but your mailbox is full.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:39 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
http://www.villagehome.org/ in Portland, Oregon is a large (200 families?) group, and offers many classes (mostly pretty academic-focused), activities such as field trips and seasonal parties, and various optional homeschooling advising services. It is very popular, but didn't really have anything to offer my family. Like a couple folks said, we prefer to learn outside classes, no matter how small, friendly, and ungraded. I did get the impression that some families found a feeling of community there; it just didn't happen for us.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 07-03-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a compilation of places so far.

Homeschool Hub
Niles, MI:
http://www.hshub.org/

I was told about it:
"People can go in and work (or play) on the computers, and use any
area they want. Most people don't though, they just come if they have
signed up for an enrichment class. After the class is done they
sometimes hang out for quite a while."
=====================

Open Connections
Philadelphia, PA:
http://www.openconnections.org/

Quote:
Open Connections (OC):
An educational resource center and learning community for young
people and their families

+ facilitates family-directed learning with an emphasis on life-based
curriculum, Real Work, multiple intelligences and a child-directed
experience
+ provides programs for youth and their families
+ offers a collaborative, developmental approach for each individual
(No enforced content curriculum, grades, age-separated classrooms,
testing/punitive evaluations, etc.)
+ creates an environment for life-long learning
+ honors individual passions in the context of community
+ bridges the pathway from conventional schooling to
homeschooling/unschooling for those new to family-directed learning
=====================

The Hangout Learning Center, Inc.
Northglenn Colorado.
http://www.hangoutlearningcenter.com/

The Hangout Learning Center is a community center designed just for
home school students and their families. With access to a great
outdoor space, two gymnasiums, an art center, computer lab, game
room, and play room, in addition to monthly classes, the Hangout can
be considered a recreation center, a home school support center, an
ongoing home school group and community center all wrapped up in one.
Students and their parents come away with group socialization that is
sometimes hard to find amongst home schoolers.
=====================

Northern Light Learning Center
Ithaca, NY
http://northernlightlearning.org/

Quote:
Northern Light is a Cooperative Homesechool Learning Center located
in Ithaca, NY. To find out more about our program, please visit about
us.

NLLC is off to a fantastic second year, with 70 member families
enjoying our new space, and a full schedule of classes of events!

NLLC is a place to learn new things, hang out with friends, share
your talents and interests with others, and make use of shared
learning resources. Our community-based learning center is a place to
connect with mentors, learn about the many resources our wider
community has to offer, and to give and get support from other
families who are also growing and learning together.

I was also told this by one of the members "This group has taken a
lot of effort by the part of the board members to get started....I am
sure that it is possible to do something simpler. The liability of
having our own space is a huge issue, as is supervision of kids in
relation to that, as well as how to distribute the work load more
fairly."
=====================

Olympia Community Free School
Olympia, Washington.
http://www.olympiafreeschool.org/

It looks like they offer their center to all the community,
encouraging community learning and sharing. They have an office
space, resource library, workshop, and classroom. The staff are
mostly volunteers.

Quote:
Why FreeSchool?
Olympia is a community with amazing resources. There are folks here
with many diverse talents and skills to share. Too often however, a
lack of communication keeps us apart. The Free School is a synergy of
the diverse ideas, talents, skills and resources of community
members. We believe:

Learning occurs throughout our lifetimes and that the learning
process can become a constant source of renewal and growth. Everyone
is a teacher and everyone is a student. All people should have access
to education without money as an obstacle Providing learning
opportunities in a free, open and non-hierarchical environment
Community members had a great deal of knowledge to share, and that
Free School could offer a new learning experience in return.

The Free School works to facilitate this learning exchange as an
instrument for individuals who want to learn in an open environment.
We are a resource that provides free alternative educational
opportunities to people of all ages and backgrounds. The FreeSchool
also works for profound social change by serving as a model for
education in the future.
=====================

The Living School
Boulder, CO
http://www.livingschool.org/

The Living School is a democratic, learner-centered educational
environment that is community-based, experientially centered, and
focused on the creativity and intelligence inherent in each student.
We foster inquiry in each participant by allowing the school itself
to be a living experiment in learning.

We are a nonprofit educational corporation
Our Mission is to establish a trusting, supportive, and evolving
environment where children and adults can learn, guided by curiosity
and intrinsic motivation.
=====================

Broderick Recreation Center
Pinellas Park, FL
http://www.pinellas-park.com/Departm...on/BrodCtr.asp

Overlooking the playground and basketball courts, the Broderick
Fitness Center offers a wide range of workout possibilities. Free
weights, treadmills, and targeted weight machines allow users to
adjust their workout to their individual needs.

Participants ages 16 and older pay nominal fees to access the Fitness
Center.

The Computer Room offers ten computer stations and two printers to
participants. Internet access and popular software applications are
available to perform a wide variety of activities. Educational game
software is available for younger users.

Video games, foosball, billiard and bumper pool tables encourage
friendly competition in the popular Game Room. Space is available to
play board games, puzzles, and relax between games.

The Arts + Crafts Room offers unlimited creative possibilities to
program enrolled participants.

Kitchen facilities adjoin the MultiPurpose Room which is used for
various classes, small meetings, and indoor play on rainy days.

Standard and Bankshot basketball courts, tennis courts, a ball field,
and playground equipment round out the offerings at Broderick
Recreation Center and Park.

A 1/4 mile paved Fitness Trail is popular with joggers, bikers, and
skaters. Covered pavilions attract families and groups for picnics
and outdoor gatherings.
=====================

HEdfEx
Home Educators for Excellence
Burnsville, MN
http://www.hedfex.org/

School-like, but maybe something to learn from them?

"We are a secular home school group that utilizes professional instructors and small class sizes to support your home school curriculum."

"family members that aren't in classes hang out and socialize. The parents often sit around and chat, knit or craft while their kids are in class. If kids aren't in class, they hang around together and read, do art stuff, look at Pokemon cards, play video games, run around outside, etc. "
-annethcz

=====================

Renting a home

"An online friend and her like-minded friends created a playgroup co-op. About 10 families rented a three bedroom house together, which they set up with different play areas for babies, toddlers, older kids. Each contributing shared toys. It has a fenced backyard and playset and they take turns, as an extended tribe providing childcare, to have a few hours off, or to stay and socializing. They can leave stuff there, have access to the kitchen, and can access it at all times. Eventually, there were so many families, they created morning playgroup and afternoon playgroup gatherings. But, it is another way to create an intentional community for your families."
Pat (WuWei)
=====================

Village Home Education Resource Center
Portland, OR
http://www.villagehome.org/

"is a large (200 families?) group, and offers many classes (mostly pretty academic-focused), activities such as field trips and seasonal parties, and various optional homeschooling advising services. It is very popular, but didn't really have anything to offer my family. Like a couple folks said, we prefer to learn outside classes, no matter how small, friendly, and ungraded. I did get the impression that some families found a feeling of community there; it just didn't happen for us."
=====================

My idea for an Intergenerational Recreational Center

At minimum, a recreational space will have/be
- A room for scheduled and spontaneous activities and classes, plus a quiet space
- A larger space for socializing, spontaneous play, hanging out
- Intergenerational: age infant through senior citizen
- Open to the public, walk-ins and loitering encouraged

Additional features:
- Open 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Gym with climbing & throwing things (foam cubes, mats & balls), plus floor hockey, etc.; also for community dances
- Basketball/volleyball court
- Billiard/Game Room with pool tables, ping pong tables, foosball
- Lounge with couches & tables (for playing cards/board games/puzzles, socializing)
- Arts & crafts room; with art supplies & creative volunteers
- Courtyard (car-free zone): green/grassy space for community gardening, picnicking, playing, sledding; plus a playground
- Stage (for concerts, speakers, playing)
- Café
- Community kitchen

Benefits of recreational center:
- Encourages sense of community
- Allows all generations to enjoy and learn from one another
- Promotes creative, spontaneous work and play among all the generations
- Fosters well-being via sense of belonging and contributing to all generations
- Creates free space during the _daytime_ hours (seniors, preschoolers, homeschoolers, night-shift workers, teens in the afternoons)
- Provides free space during the _evening_ (all ages--including school students, day-time workers, and families)
- Saves money and resources--All-in-one facility:
.....Minimizes need to drive often and far to participate in community and activities of interest; thus, minimizing carbon dioxide emissions and gasoline use
.....Minimizes maintenance, utility use, fossil fuels, carbon dioxide emissions, staff, supplies, etc. that several facilities would require
=====================

Here are a few links to some community centers for some ideas:
http://www.kairosdance.org/ (Minneapolis intergenerational dance company)
http://www.durangogov.org/resident/p...reccenter.html
http://www.ymcarockies.org/page.php?code=17
http://www.cityoftulsa.org/recreatio...CommCenter.asp
http://www.mapleridge.org/parks/faci...acilities.html
http://www.carbusters.org/magazine/i...24&go=feature2 (article)
http://www.pps.org/topics/gps/gr_place_feat (article)
Old 07-03-2007, 07:55 PM

That rented home idea sounds so intriguing to me. With the rental market what it is, there are probably a lot of possibilities there.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
HEdfEx
Home Educators for Excellence
Burnsville, MN
http://www.hedfex.org/

"We are a secular home school group that utilizes professional instructors and small class sizes to support your home school curriculum."

I *think* that other family members that aren't in classes can hang out and socialize in the building, too.
=====================
Yes, family members that aren't in classes hang out and socialize. The parents often sit around and chat, knit or craft while their kids are in class. If kids aren't in class, they hang around together and read, do art stuff, look at Pokemon cards, play video games, run around outside, etc.

A few other notes about this co-op: classes are now divided strictly by age. It used to be up to parent discression and reading level, but that is now longer the case. In short, it was felt that kids on the older end of the spectrum were being held back by kids on the younger end. Quite honestly, I see their point. With more relaxed classes, age/maturity difference between students isn't such a big deal. But with more formal classes, there's a big difference. I find that parents with younger kids really like the idea of multi-age activities. But parents with older kids don't see as much of a benefit to that. It's also hard for the instuctors to know what to plan when there is a large age gap- the younger children may spend half an hour cutting something out and writing their name, while the older kids can finish that in 5 minutes and then sit around waiting for everyone else (this situation happened in my DS's science class last year).

Amy, I like your idea about the different kind of classes- cooking, construction, gardening, etc. But there are reasons that there are a limited number of classes offered.
1- time. Although you talked about wanting to stay in a place for 3+ hours to be comfortable, I don't know that most people agree with you. For our family, 3 hours is about the maximum to be comfortable in a large social situation. After that amount of time, all of us start to get cranky, unhappy, and just ready to go. In talking to other families who participate in the co-op, I found that many of them felt the same way- that taking several classes was just too draining for the kids and the parents.
2- money. I know that all co-ops do not have to be like this, but the classes are taught by professionals (professional artists and thespians, directors of science centers and spanish academies). There are many families (mine incuded) who spend thousands of dollars each year to enable their children to take a few classes. I do not begrudge the price at all- I strongly believe that the teachers' time and experience are valuable, and that the teachers should earn a living wage. I chose to limit each of my children to 2 classes each for the coming year, for the sake of our family budget.
3- interest. Our co-op decides which classes to offer by polling the members to determine what classes people would like. Unfortunately, economics and space constraints limit the number of classes that can be offered. Our co-op is offering some pretty cool classes this year, which may be cancelled due to lack of enrollment. Sure, lots of people indicated interest in the class, but interest does not equal enrollment. (another thought- although the classes you listed sound interesting to ME, I don't know if my kids would be interested in learning about those things in a formal environment)

FWIW, I'm not sure that we'll continue in our current co-op after this year. Although I'm really happy with the way it is run, we recently moved and it's a much further drive for us. I would love to get something set up in our new town- perhaps a homeschool drop-in once a week at the community center.

Your idea sounds interesting, but also VERY expensive. The thought of building a facility with all of those amenities is overwhelming to me. Plus the cost of staffing the facility with the extended hours. Just WOW! I guess that to me, some of that seems redundant. There are places to do all of those things in the twin cities already. Many of the classes you proposed are already available through community ed classes or private businesses. There are places for homeschoolers to gather during the day- co-ops, HS open gyms, community centers, parks, etc. I will concede that it's not all located in one spot. But in terms of creating a community or a tribe, I think that happens over time by consistently attending activities. I got to know many of the HSing families in my former community by simply attending the home school open gym every week. I didn't form friendships instantly, it took time. But it did get to the point where we'd invite friends over to play at our house after the drop-in time was over.

In my experience, creating a community or tribe has always consisted of making friendships and connections first, and THEN moving on from there. All of the co-ops and other HSing groups I know of started when like-minded people (usually close friends) got together and decided to go forward with an idea. I guess that instead of taking a "if you build it, they will come" attitude, I have the POV that I need to have a core group of people FIRST, and the rest will work itself out.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:35 AM

we have www.hangoutlearningcenter.com for homeschoolers/unschoolers in a suburb just north of Denver.

It's fairly new though and they are hoping to add more classes/events/rooms/activites

eta: and the building is my old jr. high school which I believe isn't used for much else so the potential for many more classrooms set up is big as long as there's the demand.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
Amy, I like your idea about the different kind of classes- cooking, construction, gardening, etc. But there are reasons that there are a limited number of classes offered.
To clarify, I'm not wishing for homeschooling co-ops. Rather, I'm talking about a learning facility/recreational center. I don't think I mentioned having classes on the above topics (and if I did, scratch that); instead, I visualize people working freely as they would in their own homes. Perhaps a mentor could lead a project if desired, and others could join if they desired (without "scheduling" it like a class).

Again, people would be free to stay as long or as little as they liked. (There'd be no time requirement.)

In a sense, this facility would be like creating an indoor/outdoor village. I don't think going to community ed classes would be even close to what I'm talking about here. Taking a class here and there doesn't create any form of free-learning "community".

Make sense?

HEdfEx seems *way* too school-like for my taste.

Drummer's Wife, Yes, that's on the list. (Side convo, do you live near there? PM me?)
Old 07-04-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
Last year I was holding meetings with other homeschoolers with the intention of getting something like this happening. It never went very far - I think the main obstacle people had was that real estate is so ridiculously expensive in our area that no one could fathom an affordable space. I wasn't going to let that deter me, but I just couldn't get enough people on board. I still have hopes of getting something like this happening.

If anyone is in the Bay Area and wants to be involved, let me know!
i'm pregnant with my first child so i am not really ready to do much but i'm totally interested in having something like this in the bay area. and at somepoint in the next couple years i would love to help make it happen if it hasn't happened yet. of course my partner and i are hoping to at some point move north of the bay area probably to mendocino county and that could effect how much we could do in the bay area

i have an idea for you though about finding a space. i have no idea if this would work but it could. i went to an alternative high school that was on church property in orinda. int he church across the street from safeway. i think for the first 20 or so years the school paid no rent and eventually there was a rent but it was more symbolic. when i was a student the school paid 300 dollars a month rent plus utilities and stuff. the school was in no way religious the church just donated the space to us. a lot of classes where student taught and a lot of classes students voted on so we had classes on all sorts of different religions and even some on tarot readings and astrology and stuff and the church never seemed bothered by this. the church used part of the school area for a sewing room and so they knew everything that went on. so i guess what i am saying is if you can get a group like this started you might be able to find a church or other organization that has an empty space and would be willing to donate that space for free or for a very small amount of rent. i hope you can eventually get something started and if we stay in the bay area for a while my partner and i would both love to help ad be part of something like this with our child.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 07-04-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Drummer's Wife, Yes, that's on the list. (Side convo, do you live near there? PM me?)

oops sorry, I didn't see it on your list until now.

I live about 15 minutes away

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

User Tag List