Waldorf and Holistic Support Thread for February - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2007, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oakdale mama~ Thanks for the Tiptoes Lightly review. I am getting the Spring book for my youngest for Ostara.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR View Post
Well, tonight, completely out of the blue, after a very busy day away from home, she came into the family room with "The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat" (a silly little reader that was given to her by grandma) and proceded to sit down and READ IT!!!!!
Congrads JessicaSAR! That's wonderful!

OakdaleMama, I have used various resources with the gardens. The Wynstones series of books, Spring and Summer, are super-great. I'll be posting one from that series on my site later this week. The Root Children by Sibylle von Olfers, the Friendship Garden (if you can find it at a used book store) was an old Disney Pooh grocery store book which is just fabulous. Also, Grandmother Twylah's story online, etc.

And MamaKass, thanks for your thoughts on last year and this - I hope to feel the same way later this year.

I didn't realize that anyone Waldorf had oficially stated one way or another on AP, but truly half the people in the movement seem to be AP families, so I would look at who we are now; instead of who they were then. As you say, pick and choose for your family, but also see that you won't be alone on the Waldorf front...you know, even Martha Sears has a comment in one of their books about checking in with her toddler - yes, she was busy and she set aside a few minutes to cuddle and focus on him.

Lucie
Old 02-19-2007, 12:20 AM

subbing...
Old 02-19-2007, 02:40 AM

hi, everyone. After taking a bit of a break I am back and will have to go back and read this months thread. We have been totally lame and not doing much of anything. Our daily routine is all over the place, although I am trying like the dickens to get us back to something.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 02-19-2007, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't be so hard on yourself! And welcome back!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-19-2007, 05:10 AM

I'm checking back in ... I had a consult almost 2 weeks ago with Beth, the creator of Enki and loved it, but it was also at the height of my dh's busiest time of the school year, and I was in survival mode, which wasn't incluing anything resembling rhythm or hs'ing. My goal is to sit down tomorrow and do a little planning and see if we can plan a short-week of stuff. I'm excited beacause I was able to push back ds#2's speech therapy by 1 1/2 hours on Tuesday and Thursday, so we no longer need to get right up and out of the house for that. Plus we are starting the Feingold Program, so I'm not having us go to breakfast with my mom or dad during the week like we were, so there's more time at home to get into our rhythm. I have high hopes ...

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 02-19-2007, 03:20 PM

That is great. It is nice to move things around so you have more time to do what you really want to do.
For some reason, I have just added loads of stuff to our schedule. LOL Not good, as I look at it I get all anxious and think to myself... "What were you thinking??" :
I get all antsy as spring gets here and think I want to be out and about, then I remember that we all get nuts when we are not having enough down time or home time. UGH! Will I ever learn?
I need to spend some time (hopefully tonight) and get a schedule going so I can plan a few things for us to do and keep a little routine going among the craziness.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 02-19-2007, 05:22 PM

took me awhile to find this!! is there anyway we cna post a link to next months thread at the end of the current month's thread so we don't get lost :

anyways, my dd's playroom is getting nicer and nicer, i ust put in an order at nova natual and dh found some playstands we could afford i'll post pics soon. thank you everyone for all your help.
tomorrow my dd andi are attending a cicle time and im going to but one of the book and cd sets o learn some songs so we can start doing circle time at home. im exciting. she gets so calm when i sing to her.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 PM

We did get a nice little play area set up recently. We had to do osme furniture re-arranging do make room for a diningroom table and so we had this perfect place to make a little area for the two younger boys. It has a "kitchen", baskets for all the natural toys. It looks really nice and the kids love it. Plus it is right next to the area where the older two do their school work and we eat, so they can play along side us while we do other things.

H

Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Dear Everyone,

Our rhythm is changing - DH is on a new medication and new diet, and the weather has become so gorgeous! We're keeping a good schedule for us now - walk, an all-together verse activity, then 6th does independent work while my 1st grader and I work together on Pirate Math, then I get with my 6th grader to go over his work and we break for lunch. I like to give them at least an hour after lunch, and then 1st plays while 6th and I work together on his main lesson, Business Math for about an hour.

We're out 3 afternoons a week just now, I would prefer two, but I'm teaching chemistry to 6th & friends on our otherwise-open Wednesdays, so it is unavoidable. Scouts are normally in the evenings so DH and I take turns.

MyLittleWonders and Mamaofthree, I enjoyed reading your rhythms thank you for sharing. Don't be hard on yourself when everything seems out of synch - that's part of it. Always readjusting. It is my own weakness to overschedule and has taken me 6 years to learn to wait out the slower times after fall flag football, rather than adding new activities.

Swim lessons will start next month; Baseball starts in April, so our evenings will go haywire then! Just now, we can spend time out on the greenbelt and the boys can ride bikes and jump on the trampoline and play together. We see homeschool friends each week for something different - this week nature study.

To keep my sanity, I plan for 6th's chemistry to end before baseball starts, and for 1st's lesson time to drop to under 40 minutes then.

Arts/crafts are integrated into lesson time now, we're doing painting, papercraft, and modeling in this block. Tonight we're going to try the painting with DH after work and keep that up weekly for his stress relief.

Spring
I will be taking 1st to a sheep-shearing and teaching him to knit this spring. Also, we'll be doing a full garden/compost curricula beginning in early March with just the worms and a few seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
took me awhile to find this!! is there anyway we cna post a link to next months thread at the end of the current month's thread so we don't get lost :
CounterGOPI - I think that's a great idea - whoever ends up starting the new thread on March 1 should do so.

Have a fabulous week!

Lucie
Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 PM

i am so thankful to find this thread...

you all covered SO many of the issues we are currently dealing with.

while i type my 6yo is playing piano and singing ABC's with her 2yo sis, this is some Loud and lovely bliss.

we live in the woods of northern michigan and unschool and are working toward a life that respects the balance of nature. our biggest (my biggest) struggle is to stop worrying about everything (i am a worrier.)

6yo is not reading --she shows all sorts of signs that she can but chooses not to. she is so into dancing and music and imaginative play i try so hard to let flow...

speaking of must go and help put out a little fire btw the girlies!

peace

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
Old 02-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Ds starts 'viking writing' today. We have been taking it pretty easy and in a couple of days Dh is using some of his vacation time so I know we aren't going to be getting much done.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 PM

Lucie - your mention of swim lessons and baseball totally reminded me that I need to sit with dh (and probably ds5 1/2) and discuss this spring's activities. He loves to play the little free "indoor" soccer program that our city runs, but he also wants to start swim lessons (he is a swimmer by nature - it's in his blood), and personally, dh and I would both rather him do swimming based on a number of factors. Then, of course ds3 chimes in that he wants swimming lessons (the kid is fearful of water on his face - some SID issues there - and I'm not sure how that's going to play in swim lessons ), and they both want piano lessons (well, again, ds5 1/2 wants them and ds3 chimes in that he wants them too!). So ... I want to do as little as possible. I go back and forth on the piano thing - I began lessons at four, which I think was too young, though I had the finger strength and finger span at that age. Ds5 1/2 definitely has the finger span, but not necessarily the attention span, iykwim. But, the lady who gives lessons is 3 houses down from us, so it's not like I'd have to drive them anywhere and could just watch them walk to her house from our porch (a big bonus). I really like the little soccer program the city puts on - it's free, one small practice during the week and a little "game" on Saturday. But, with speech twice a week for ds3 and roller skating, I really feel it will be too much. (And for soccer, sign-ups are on March 1st, so I do need to start figuring this out.) And I know that holistic education (for instance, Enki, which is most of what we follow) speaks *against* organized/competitive sports at this age, though I also know I need to do what works for my kids, and not necessarily what's written in a guidebook, yk? So ... the pondering will continue.

And now I need to sit and think about this week. I never got to it yesterday. And I want to play with our rhythm now that our speech time is pushed back. Last night dh was saying how he didn't want to go to work this morning. (He is a high school teacher.) I told him how awesome it'd be if/when he has a job (or enough incoming cash!) that doesn't require him to get up and go into work 5 days a week. He asked what our days would be like and I created the most wonderful sounding rhythm ... now I'm off to see how I can use that IRL.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 PM

HI everyone,

We're already starting on Spring activities...as winter never arrived here in Switzerland, it really made no sense to continue on with the frost and snow theme.

We made playdough and modelled springy things, made some tissue paper butterflies to hang on our windows and ds decorated our table with some lovely purple tulips.

Tomorrow we will plant some primula in little pots on our terrace for color.

We will start officially with Kindy in the fall. Dh is very supportive of the homeschooling idea but would prefer if we would work with a curriculum. He likes the idea of Oak Meadow as a base because he would like our ds to have "school" records of some kind. Homeschooling is basically unheard of here, although legal. Being "enrolled" in something gives him a certain sense of security. I think I could live with it, too...with lots of supplementing and other material. We're not "purists" at any rate, teaching at a Waldorf school cured me of that.

Just checking in ladies. Hope you're all doing well!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Old 02-20-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmum View Post
Ds starts 'viking writing' today. We have been taking it pretty easy and in a couple of days Dh is using some of his vacation time so I know we aren't going to be getting much done.
We wrote runes on beans and made a little pouch. We used them for divination. DS thought it was lots of fun. We are also Pagan. I thought you might like that idea.

My Little Wonders~ You said your dh is a school teacher. I am so amazed by the number of teachers who homeschool. Why do you think that is? Does your dh teach traditional education? How does he feel about holistic education?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass View Post
We wrote runes on beans and made a little pouch. We used them for divination. DS thought it was lots of fun. We are also Pagan. I thought you might like that idea.

My Little Wonders~ You said your dh is a school teacher. I am so amazed by the number of teachers who homeschool. Why do you think that is? Does your dh teach traditional education? How does he feel about holistic education?
He does teach traditionally (public school) and loves holistic education. We live more holistically each day, and sometimes I wonder if it is hard for him to have such contrast between what he does as a career and how we strive to live our lives. More later, but I'm typing one-handed while standing with a babe on my hip.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:54 AM

Lucie, wow! It sounds like you have a lot of changes going on!

We're doing well. I feel like our transition from k12 back to Waldorf is almost done--hooray! The compromises I made were
--we still have a "main lesson" type time, but it's thematic rather than a bunch of worksheets, and it's less than an hour rather than five hours
--we still have the hour of TV each day because it's the only way I can think of to get a nap.
--we're very slowly, slowly, slowly reading Little Bear. Since she's reading, I just don't feel like we can unring that bell. Ditto with writing. We're combining simple verses to copy with the fairy tales we tell.
--we had to give up the morning walk for now. It's just too darn cold and I'm too hugely pregnant for it to be safe.

But it's been really quite peaceful and lovely. Lots of baking, lots of getting back into a household rhythm--the house is clean again!--and lots of times for hugs and cuddles.

I'm so thankful to you all for helping us along this journey!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 AM

I was glancing over the thread and noticed people talking about gardening... (I LOVE to garden) one of my favorite kids gardening books is "Roots Shoots, Buckets and Boots" the author does all the art it is so sweet and has such wonderful ideas of gardens to do with kids!

H

Old 02-22-2007, 01:50 PM

I need a gardening book that I can get easily from the library. It's almost time to plant, and I can't wait! Beautiful days here. It is almost spring.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:41 PM

I found "Roots, Shoots, Buckets, and Boots" at our library... loved it so much I bought a copy.

H

Old 02-23-2007, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Dear Everyone,

AnetteMarie, I LOVE Little Bear. I could read a Little Bear story each day for the rest of my life and be completely happy! I think that those books, like Rachel Carson's and just a few others, can truly bring wonder back to adults. I like the one about the hat, coats, pants, and his fur coat the best.

We're having a fabulous week! My greatest reminder of DH's problem was when I paid the cardiologist bill today! So far its smooth sailing - for the pirates who kidnapped our math gnomes too - they don't know it but Plus, Minus, Times, and Divide are going to rehabilitate them while teaching them how to count and keep track of their treasure. I love this block - especially taking down the notion of noble pirates. My first grader, though, is less enchanted with them than by Peter Pan.

I taught my Sixth Grader how to do a formal outline yesterday, as he's finishing his Global Warming report. We've just begun to touch on our business math, but I have to recommend the BEST book for this block, Great Graphs and Sensational Statistics by Lynette Long - and it is inexpensive! Paired with any Waldorf middle school math, it really gives you most of the activities you need for about $11.

Dear MamaKass and My Little Wonders, That's so neat, though, that he is interested in holistic ed and might be able to bring some bits into his classroom work. My mother was a teacher in Texas when she worked. She did a lot of creative things, but by the time her retirement came around she was very frustrated with student behavior and bureaucracy.

I meet more and more former teachers in the homeschooler ranks - do you?

Take care,

Lucie
Old 02-23-2007, 02:44 AM

We love the Roots, Shoots... book too. Last summer we grew the sunflower house. We used the mammoth sunflowers, so it was over 10' tall!

Denise

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
Old 02-23-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post

I meet more and more former teachers in the homeschooler ranks - do you?
Yes! It is amazing. In the last hs group I was involved in about 30-50% of the parents were teachers.

We are finishing geometry and letter writing. My oldest has been very creative with these blocks.

My youngest is still having a blast with Goldilocks and the Three Bears in Eurythmy land. We have done this same story for a month and he won't give it up. Fine with me! I'm glad he's having a blast.

Can't wait to go outside today. We are having nice weather. Tonight we will paint.

Have a great day mamas.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM

We grew mammoth sunflowers last summer too! They were amazing! I have already got our seeds in the ground for this years.

H

Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Lucie, I love your pirate story!

Little Bear is just such a gentle reader. Since she was reading anyway, it seemed like the gentlest choice, especially after k12 and its shots and cuts and gum!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 PM

so dd and i attended a circle time at our local waldorf store and loved it!! now are all of them started and ended the same way? the teacher used the umm what are the called.. i can only think of the german name:glockenspiel..but you know what i mean? any ways she used one of thsoe and played a particular number of notes, then we did the songs and then she ended with that same tune/number of notes. Is there a certain tune that is to be done? where can i find it?
im hoping to buy one in the next couple of months but how can i start and end circle time i nthe meantime? thanks?

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 AM

It is indeed a glockenspiel - and in a Waldorf nursery / kindy, they're all tuned to the pentatonic scale. Here is a link to an online store with lyres and glockenspiels (all pentatonic) and a little book (we own a copy - it's quite lovely) of simple Waldorf pentatonic songs and lyrics:

http://www.novanatural.com/browse.ph...ategory_id=685

Oh, if you want something simple to end and start circle time with, I have used a bell with a nice clear tone - a Tibettan hand bell is lovely for this, or the striking of a triangle. Or you could simply sing an "opening" song and light a candle and then say a simple verse at the blowing out of the candle to signify the closing of the circle, in the absence of an instrument of any kind.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 AM

I have pined for one of those lyres from nova naturals. They seem so spendy. Although I may just get one anyway. LOL

H

Old 02-24-2007, 01:57 AM

They are beautiful. If you're musically minded, you can get a lap harp and tune it pentatonically rather than traditionally. At least that's what I hear. We have one, but we never tried it.

We always start circle with a gathering song and then a verse while we light the candle. We end with a verse and then blow out the candle. It's amazing how they instinctively just sort of sit with the silence for a few moments.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:21 AM

I am so not musical... that is one of the reason I love those lyres, you can pretty much play anything and it sounds lovely. LOL

H

User Tag List