Waldorf and Holistic Support Thread for February - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 119 Old 02-24-2007, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks mamas! what kind of verse do you do?i dont think we did a verse in the circle time we attended,just soungs..

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#92 of 119 Old 02-24-2007, 11:34 AM

Subbing because you mamas inspire me so.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#93 of 119 Old 02-24-2007, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wrote my verses myself. I'm on the way out, but will share them when we get home.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#94 of 119 Old 02-24-2007, 12:05 PM

thanks

#95 of 119 Old 02-24-2007, 12:59 PM

I am butting in your thread because I am dying to learn more about Waldorf. The more I look into it, the more appealing it seems! Do you ladies have some good (preferably free) websites about it and with ideas? Thank you!!
#96 of 119 Old 02-24-2007, 05:10 PM

OK, our circle time standards for winter

Gathering (this is a song)
Come along with me,
Walking, walking in our circle.
Come along with me,
It's circle time again!
Come along with me,
We will sing and dance together.
Come along with me,
We will sing and dance together.
Come along with me,
It's circle time my friend.

We can change "walking walking" to dancing, tiptoeing, hopping, whatever we're in the mood for.

Candle Lighting:
In the dark,cold days
There shines a light
To make my heart
So clean and bright.

Circle Ending/Before we blow the candle out:
My heart swells in joyfullness (Hands crossed over the heart)
My spirit dwells in peace (Hands lifted above)
My body rests in quietness (Hands at the side)
Our circle time is ended. (All hold hands)

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#97 of 119 Old 02-24-2007, 05:16 PM

thanks!! i love it!! so the candle thing is more for winter right? when do you girls usually start wit hthe spring stuff? we just got one of those 'you can sing naturally' song books and cds and have been singing the groundhog song and winter good bye.. oh and tall,tall tree my d even does the movements with me for it : i love it!

#98 of 119 Old 02-24-2007, 05:53 PM

Dh is a high school math teacher, and I was a college professor before resigning to stay home with the girls. So add us to the list of homeschooling teachers.

Lucie, I am fascinated by your math processes block. I need to know more! We are doing the quality of numbers block now, and so I anticipate doing the four processes sometime this spring. I haven't decided what to do yet. The Christopherus syllabus uses squirrels, but I think I am leaning more toward gnomes. But the addition of pirates is a new one for me.

Here are our opening and closing verses for circle:

"Softly quiet falls upon us, fills us with its grace
folded every hand is resting, peace on every face.
In the quiet hushed and tender, strife at once departs.
May the dove of peace be resting in our hearts."

"To every hearth a little fire,
to every board a little feast,
to every heart a joy,
to every child a toy,
shelter for bird and beast."

We are also doing Goldilocks for our preschool story now and it is a huge hit. I realized a couple weeks ago that I had never done this story. I don't know how I missed it. My 3yo is completely entranced by it. I checked the library for an illustrated book to use at the end of the week, but surprisingly I couldn't find one that suited. Waldorf has completely spoiled me when it comes to illustrations. I decided I could do better myself, so during each of our painting sessions I have been doing little illustrations. They are very simple, but perfect for my 3yo. I think I will eventually bind them in a book for her.

I also love Little Bear, as well as Frog and Toad. They are both wonderful little readers.
#99 of 119 Old 02-25-2007, 12:47 PM

Yoo-Hoo Mama Kass!

Hi! I Pm'd you and have been anxiously awaitig your reply, so I hijacked this thread to send out a hello to you

Hello also to all of you lovely waldorf inspired homeschoolers! I'm also a Mom of two homeschooled with waldorf flavored children.

Best wishes to all

Shannon
#100 of 119 Old 02-25-2007, 12:49 PM

jessica thank you for your verses as well. im loving them!! you mamas are such inspirations for me!

frog and toad and little bear.. are those for learning to read like the dick and jane books? or just nice books to read to your little ones?

#101 of 119 Old 02-25-2007, 04:11 PM

OT: Jessica - my dh is a high school math teacher and I used to teach college too! (I did elementary and college - reading & writing.) Just had to share the coincidence!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#102 of 119 Old 02-25-2007, 04:12 PM

I am axiously awaiting the arrival of our Russian nesting dolls - they should be here this week - as our fairy tale this week is about them. I thought it would be fun for the boys to have a set to explore after reading the story together (though I'm thinking I should have ordered two sets ... I might be making another purchase from Kremlin.com ).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#103 of 119 Old 02-26-2007, 01:57 AM

My kids love Little Bear (And I did too as a child.) I love the clothing one, that just cracks me up. LOL
And I have yet to find a Three Bears story with pictures I like, so I just tell the story. My dad use to tell it to my brother and me to keep us walking when we would go hiking or back packing, so I have this whole story visualized in my head no book can do better than that. LOL

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#104 of 119 Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Good Morning!

We're having a late start today as I stayed up to watch the Oscars. Pirate Math will continue this week - I'll try to write more later on my blog about it, but really it's just my way of keeping it fun. My first-grader loves his pirate ship , so the pirates just raided a British military ship and took a large treasure...but none of them can count more than ten - they're lack of education keeps coming up, they count on their fingers!

So they have kidnapped the math gnomes - the gnomes think this is all very funny and could escape any moment if they wanted, but they like to teach and are rehabilitating the pirates as they go. So far, we've taken the treasure of 269 jewels, and one gnome had them make them into piles of ten, then Plus helped to count them, and then Times helped to put them all onto blue cloth squares, which were then tied up - so each bag is ten, then ten bags fit into a wooden box - 2 "chests." So the pirates are burying the chests on an island, and will try to divide up the 59 jewels today - among four of them - and go to spend it in a port - we'll probably start borrowing and such tomorrow as they get into the spending.

We do each problem with the pirates and then on the board. And there's a LOT of adventure along the way - my First Grader has now been kidnapped to lift the chests, but whenever the pirates try to be mean, the gnomes fix it.

Hope it helps...maybe someday I'll put it all down.

Take care,

Lucie
#105 of 119 Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM

We had a wonderful day today...we got a mercurius order last week and I finally feel that we have many of the materials that we need and my kids are loving them!!! Their drawing is just taking off with the large drawing paper and new stick crayons...my dd started doing straight and curved lines today on the chalkboard and she LOVED that. I feel like we are starting to get somewhere and that feels good. I love love love Path of Discovery 1. It motivated me so much and helped me get focused and put things together better as far as organization.
#106 of 119 Old 02-26-2007, 09:07 PM

That does sound like a lovely day! Not to be stalkerish, but do I remember seeing somewhere that you're near Lancaster County? I grew up in Lancaster! Do you ever get to the Susquehanna Waldorf School for events?

#107 of 119 Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 PM

If I may ask everyone... how old are your kids, and if you are just coming to Waldorf/holistic learning was it/is it hard to do it with older kids?
I seem to be fine with my younger ones (5 and 2 1/2) but I am at a loss as what to do with my older two (12 and 9). I read about all of the stuff you all are doing and I am so jealous... (not in a weird way), because I can't seem to get my life into a schedule, which I know my younger two thrive in, but my older two are all over the place (classes, scouts, friends etc) that I don't have two days in a row to do anything remotely the same. It can be so frustrating, because I can see in my head what I want to do, but it never seems to happen when my day gets going. Then I get in a funk and say the heck with it. But really I don't want to do it that way... advice, ideas, a pep talk! LOL

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#108 of 119 Old 02-27-2007, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
If I may ask everyone... how old are your kids, and if you are just coming to Waldorf/holistic learning was it/is it hard to do it with older kids?
Hello MamaofThree,

Mine are 7 & 11, and I think it is normal to find the middle years more challenging - for one thing there's just much more online to help you with the early grades. There aren't even a whole lot of books for holistic middle school!

First, don't worry as much about schedule as rhythm. The activities can vary every day if the rhythm holds.

Still, with us it has been an exercise in teaching ME how they think at that age, empowering them to participaye in the planning, and making learning an interactive process. I've written about this elsewhere, so I'll just give you a couple of links:

Your older kids are at a different stage of childhood, so you have to learn to transition your thinking when teaching them - not hard to do but a conscious act.Ages and Stages - it helps me to re-read the section for the applicable stage each time I plan a block - the basics are the easiest to forget.

Goals and structure - finding the right balance of structure and freedom for that child, and learning what he needs to learn now, not necessarily what the curriculum tells you to learn - the older they get, the more flexible I get with content.

Gotta run, hope this is helpful in some way,

Lucie
#109 of 119 Old 02-27-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks everyone who shares their days.

I am just looking into using theWaldorf method with my two children. I have a 9yo son and a soon to be 4yo daughter.

I know it is time to make some serious changes around here and rethink how DS education is moving. I am not exposing him to enough things and know I need more guidelines and want a more natural flow to our days.

Plus, our days are just out of hand. Too much tv. This has led DD to only play if someone is playing with her. If you have to leave for some reason(bathroom or anything) she throws her toys and starts screaming. :

I have been doing reading online. Unfortunately our library has no books. I did an interlibrary loan for a couple things. If anyone has a recommendation for a real book that would be good reading for working with both kids I would love to hear. I really want to curl up in the chair with a good book.

My DD has down syndrome so we have a real need for more rhythm. I am also really commited to weeding down the toys and getting some of the junk out of here.

Thanks for letting me share and I look forward to reading this thread and any suggestions you may have for me.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#110 of 119 Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 AM

spring is coming!! its beautiful here today the sun is shining so dd and i will hang our clothes on the line outside to day and i'll push her in her swing too. we went for a nice walk the other day and collected her bucket full of pinecones to have in her playroom she loved it. the warmer weater makes it so much easier to get outdoors. im finishing knitting an elephant for her but she keeps stealing him from me, gues she doesnt care if hes done or not.

so mamas,are you still doing winter activities or are you starting spring ones now? when do i switch?

#111 of 119 Old 02-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
so mamas,are you still doing winter activities or are you starting spring ones now? when do i switch?[/B]
We switched to Spring...since winter never really came to us this year. VERY unusual!

But there are already blossoms on many of the trees and it has been so warm. I know some of you are up to your ears in snow....so winter is still alive and well in some parts. I think you change depending on where you live, no?

There are some late winter/early spring things you can do and stories you can tell as a transition...

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#112 of 119 Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 PM

oh please do share the transition things you have all i have it the winter goodbye song and we started singing the morning light song for our garden ive been bringing tulips in the house for dd,too...

#113 of 119 Old 02-27-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Do you ever get to the Susquehanna Waldorf School for events?
Yes, I was there a couple of times. I also go to the Kimberton Waldorf school for their store and speakers. Our doctor is in Kimberton and I love going there.
#114 of 119 Old 02-27-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttermama View Post
Yes, I was there a couple of times. I also go to the Kimberton Waldorf school for their store and speakers. Our doctor is in Kimberton and I love going there.
I've never been to Kimberton, but we miss SWS. We did a sweetpeas toddler/parent class there, and Michael still talks about his teacher!

#115 of 119 Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 PM

Where do you live that there is a Waldorf store that does stuff like that? That is so cool!
We have a Waldorf private school here and a new Charter school... hmm I wonder if the charter school is doing any community stuff. I should look into that.

H

#116 of 119 Old 02-28-2007, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfath View Post
...I have a 9yo son and a soon to be 4yo daughter...Plus, our days are just out of hand. Too much tv. This has led DD to only play if someone is playing with her. If you have to leave for some reason(bathroom or anything) she throws her toys and starts screaming. : ...
I agree totally with your intuition on switching out the toys. It just sort of brought out two ideas:

First, yes, make all of your new purchases imaginative toys which don't have just one "right" use. Get wooden tree blocks instead of Legos, mosaic puzzles instead of puzzles, toys to imitate you - such as mini garden tools if you're a green thumb, or a toy baking set if you're a cook - dolls that aren't "set" in their personalities, etc...and let her infuse them with her imagination. Don't do that for her.

Second: Read something by Jean Leidloff - the Continuum Concept is a book that to me explained just how important it is for kids of this age to imitate adults who are performing life's work. In my experience that has to be something they understand as "work" - such as baking bread or cleaning house or gardening. (When I write or talk on the phone, they don't get that connection as well.)

Then you can set a rhythm where she'll expect that at certain times you'll be reading, telling stories, or playing finger-games or bouncing around outside; but she'll also expect that at other times Mom will be working with brother or kneading or painting, etc...that new expectation and new rhythm will be the key to helping you have more time to bring DS 'the world's treasures of thought' as you homeschool through the grades.

Then eventually you'll reach a point where you are working and interacting through the day with both kids - butneither one just needs constant attention - in fact their imaginative games will be very special to them and sometimes they'll ask you to leave the room so they can continue.

counterGOPI and Calynde - Thanks for your Spring thoughts. We're moving into Spring now by changing out the bookson the bookshelves, Spring cleaning, planting seeds for our later garden (it is still a bit too cold outside here in the Plains), and starting some Felt projects. We also start a new Spring verse tomorrow for March...and my first-grader and I are reading the Wind Boy. My sixth-grader and I are reading Onion John together - yes together. He LOVES to read and constantly reads on his own, but we also continue our reading out loud together - just for closeness.

Warm wishes for a beautiful Spring,

Lucie
#117 of 119 Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 PM

Lucie~ You're so creative! I love the Pirate ship story.

mamaofthree~ Please don't get discouraged. Let hs be a journey. Have you ever downloaded anything from Donna Simmons? I have not purchased any of her downloads, but owned several of her publications. I think she could really help you. She's very down to earth. Look here:
http://www.christopherushomeschool.org/audio.htm

Also, if you have a Waldorf school in your area call them! If nothing else I'm sure they will have a May Day celebration that you could go to.
#118 of 119 Old 03-01-2007, 10:26 PM

#119 of 119 Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
OT: Jessica - my dh is a high school math teacher and I used to teach college too! (I did elementary and college - reading & writing.) Just had to share the coincidence!
Even though I was perfectly competent in Math as a student, it does make me feel better to have a math teacher in the family. My PhD is in political philosophy, so I haven't had a math class (except quantitative methods) since college. And that was a long, long time ago....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page