The Writing Road to Reading - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone actually use this? I borrowed a copy from a friend and it's making me : . Maybe I'm missing a major point, but it just seems unnecessarily complicated. Can you give a mama a clue?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 06:21 AM

haven't used it but here's some reviews-maybe they can give some hints?:
http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/rev...ws.aspx?id=369

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That was really my response too. When my older dd was learning her letters, she spent most of her time writing. I looked at this book, and decided it wasn't for us. If its any help, we did use Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons, but even that is pretty boring and dry, so it was only a small part in her learning to read and write.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:12 PM

I've used it. The fifth edition is a must, and there are some new lesson plan manuals that I haven't seen but that might be good. Mostly I used it for phonograms and spelling. I tried their comprehension stuff, but I didn't love it. Of course, I also took the training course, and that helped a lot.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

I bet the training course would really help. I wanted to love it because I've seen it recommended in Waldorf circles, but it just isn't doing anything for me.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 AM

Made my head spin as well! I believe it's written by Spaulding. Wanda Sanseri wrote a similar program call Spell to Write to Read. I think it's easier to use than Writing Road to Reading, but it was still more than my poor self could get my head around.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13

User Tag List