Anyone ever try "The Great Courses" series of DVDs & CDs?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-08-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We received a free sample CD and a catalogue showing just some of the courses they offer.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/teach12.asp

We (ds, age 8, & I) listened to the sample lecture on "The Remarkable Ideas Of the Hebrews" from their Foundations Of Western Civilization series. The lecturer sounded great (personable and not dry) and ds was intrigued by the idea of lectures on DVD/CD. This particular series was a bit over ds's level.

However, they also offer a high school level series of World History From the Fertile Crescent To the American Revolution. It is on 6 DVDs and comes with both guidebook and workbook. The cost is $79.95 for all of it (+ s/h).

The lecturers have good credentials and the variety of subjects is impressive. They have a return policy that sounds wonderful ($ back guarantee anytime) and they will replace any damaged DVD or CD, as long as the subject is still part of their inventory.

I think it sounds pretty cool. The cost isn't that much when you consider how long they would be used (a few thousand years of world history is covered!). I thought it would be good supplemental material.

Any comments??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
many libraries carry them so you might be able to use them without buying. I have only listened to the free lecture they had at christmas about Christmas music. It was very interesting.
#3 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 12:26 PM

I'd be interested to know this as well. I was considering getting DH one for his birthday, since he likes to listen to books on tape while he drives to work, and it seemed like one of the music courses might be a good thing to listen to in the car...
#4 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
They're great ... for what they are. They're lecture series, and they're better than almost any lecture series I've ever heard. But they don't have a hands-on component, or much in the way of visuals, or any assignments or activities for extending and integrating what's being taught.

We've watched on DVD "the Joy of Science", "How to Listen to Music" and the "Overview of World History" you mentioned. All excellent.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#5 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
They're great ... for what they are. They're lecture series, and they're better than almost any lecture series I've ever heard. But they don't have a hands-on component, or much in the way of visuals, or any assignments or activities for extending and integrating what's being taught.
Thanks, Miranda, that's what I wanted to hear!

I was thinking of using them as just an additional componant of the teaching program. To give ds a general overview and then to use our own books and activities to enhance each era/culture in the series. Basically like the the lectures we had in college. Listen to the prof go and then read the books and do the assignments.

Though, in the case of these series, the lectures sound quite a bit more "entertaining" and are shorter (plus, no uncomfortable chairs : to sit in, no note-taking needed : , and we can snack in our pajamas : while we listen!!!). And, I know the activities (ie: assignments) we do are even better!

I thought it would give me, as well, a good direction as to what would be a good "chain" of history to study (does that make any sense?! : ).

I have ordered "The Story Of the World" and await its arrival. Do you think I should just stick with that and the other supplemental books we have as our world history curriculum? Would this be good along with SOTW?

You know, the teaching is easy, it's the decisions that are hard!!

Alas, our library doesn't carry them .

Keep the comments coming!
#6 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 PM

We've really enjoyed them. I agree the lectures are pretty straight forward and not intense visually, but they are well done. We got one series that we didn't like the lecturer (it was the ancient China series) and the company was great about giving us a full refund so I have very positive things to say about their customer service. Everything else we've loved. We especially enjoy the music lectures by Professor Greenberg.

As far as being stand alone materials, I wanted to mention that there are a couple of courses that were mentioned here that you can get get texts and workbooks to go with. I know they are available for the Joy of Science and for the H.S. American History Course. You can find them by searching under the professor's name on Amazon. The history course materials as I recall are not particularly exciting, mostly quiz type of things. The Joy of Science has a more complete textbook. The courses also come with outlines of the lectures and with a bibliography so you can support with additional materials.

It totally depends on your kids. I would look for the kids to be at least middle school level (though not necessarily middle school age) before you try the h.s. courses.

Last thing - they resale value of these on ebay is really strong too. I often see them for 2/3 or more of the sale price.
#7 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
As far as being stand alone materials, I wanted to mention that there are a couple of courses that were mentioned here that you can get get texts and workbooks to go with. I know they are available for the Joy of Science and for the H.S. American History Course. You can find them by searching under the professor's name on Amazon. The history course materials as I recall are not particularly exciting, mostly quiz type of things. The Joy of Science has a more complete textbook. The courses also come with outlines of the lectures and with a bibliography so you can support with additional materials.
Roar - do you know if these the same as the transcripts listed with the dvds on the learning company site? Or are the something completely different?
Thanks
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#8 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 07:34 PM

I have been wondering the same thing! I just checked my library and they have some of the courses. Yeah! I don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks for all the information!

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
#9 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 04:32 PM

Karen,
No they are separate from just the transcripts.

The book that coordinates well with Joy of Science is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sciences-Integ...e=UTF8&s=books
I'm sure you can find a cheaper earlier edition, that is usually the case with textbooks.

I'm not sure with the high school history, but I know I met a homeschooler who was using an associated textbook. You may be able to search under the professor's name or contact the Teaching Company and ask.
#10 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
Karen,
No they are separate from just the transcripts.

The book that coordinates well with Joy of Science is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sciences-Integ...e=UTF8&s=books
Thanks for the info!
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#11 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 07:19 PM

DH and I get some for long car trips or he uses them in his commute and we LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!
We just did Conquest of the Americas on the way to North Carolina. Even 2 year old DS was entertained! He kept finding words/ ideas he knew and shrieking them out with glee!

They have very engaging lecturers!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page