considering HSing. need a good book for a beginner?? why, how, etc... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi mammas!
im starting to think about homeshooling or unschooling or ?? my 8mo and 7yo.
i know its a little early for the little one, but time flies! hopefully its not too late for the older one. he loves his montissori school, so thats a step in the right direction.
can anyone reccomend a good, up to date book for total beginner moms? i basically need all the info on different methods, lesson plans (seems like there are a million!), legalities, successes and not so success stories.
i know im going to get some negativity from ds#1" dad (my ummm, yucky x) so im going to need all the good reasons why (he thinks i must be totally out there!)
i found one at a thrift shop but its from '86, so im sure alot has changed.
thanks mammas, and keep up the great work!!!
#2 of 7 Old 02-09-2007, 10:31 AM

The first book I read about homeschooling was by Linda Dobson. The Homeschooling Book of Answers was really helpful (and so is she, if you contact her) as well as The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child.

My local library has both books, so you might be able to find her books at yours.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#3 of 7 Old 02-09-2007, 11:24 AM

I agree with Karen about The Homeschooling Book of Answers by Linda Dobson. I passed that book around to family members as well. When I was thinking about homeschooling, I just went to the library and checked out every book about hsing. They are in the education section. Good luck!

Amy: Mom to 8, homeschooler, runner, Baby #9 due April 2013

#4 of 7 Old 02-09-2007, 11:48 AM

When it comes to reluctant fathers, I think John Taylor Gatto's book, Dumbing Us Down is a good resource. It's written by a man who was a teacher in the public schools, and he tells it like it is. It isn't a fuzzy book about how wonderful it is to read with the kids on the couch in your jammies, in other words.
#5 of 7 Old 02-09-2007, 12:40 PM

I would read anything by John Holt, if you want something short and to the point Learning all the Time is good.
#6 of 7 Old 02-09-2007, 02:32 PM

The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child
Homeschooling: The Early Years
both by Linda Dobson

Homeschooling and the Voyage of Self-Discovery
by David Albert

The Unschooling Handbook
by Mary Griffith

I definitely second Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto for the dad
If he wants something a little more scholarly, Deschooling Society by Ivan Illich

Also, Matt Hern is a really interesting unschooling writer, Deschooling Our Lives and Field Day: Getting Society Out of School are good, don't know if they would help convince your ex, but you might enjoy them.

Oh yeah, the guy who wrote Snow Falling on Cedars is(was?) a high school english teacher at an elite prep school, and he homeschools his kids, he wrote a book specifically to give to family members to help convince them, Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense by David Guterson

hope these help
#7 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the great suggestions! im heading tot he library next week to get some!
im definately going to check out Dumbing Us Down, it sounds great!
ill keep you up on our adventure!
Thanks again!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page