So what did folks do this week? Share if you feel like it. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We haven't had any big time fun, but we've been researching chickens. There are so many varieites. We are looking for rare breeds native to our area.

We were hoping for a big snow and some sledding, but all we got here was slop. That was a dissppointment, so on the big slop day, we made Valentines instead. My dinning room is covered in glitter and none of us feel like cleaning it up.

I wish that glitter wasn't bad for dogs...we've no food or crumbs on our floors thanks to our doggies, but the glitter may be there to stay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 05:29 PM

Definitely playing in the snow (14 inches!) and watching the plows. Yesterday we enjoyed icing cookies together. We just started the Little House series (more fun for me than them).

DS is sick today and had to miss a field trip. I had been holding Great States Jr. for a special day, so we broke that out while DD slept.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:56 PM

Mostly we got over the stomach flu :

Yesterday we were snowed in and so K and I finished our Scotland project, the kids worked on Valentines and playing Blink. They spent a good part of the day trying to figure out DD2s new WINX club computer game. DS has been playing Euro Soccer and Rayman on his X-Box. We looked at puppies on the internet. We had literally not left the house in 4 days.

Today we did venture out a little to homeschool group where the kids exchanged Valentines and had some treats. Then Kelsey and I gave our report on Scotland as well as watching another HSer give hers on France. Then the kids went out to play in the snow for a bit. Now they are all in DDs room cleaning up the fish food that the kittens knocked over.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Let's see, on Monday DD was sick so we didn't do too much. On Tuesday we managed to get out to the library, and half of Tuesday and all of Wednesday was spent reading. I felt kinda bad because I was engrossed in a fiction series, and yesterday I was reading the newest book in the series (the one I hadn't read before) just as DD was reading historical fiction and kept bombarding me with questions about Native Americans, slavery, Colonial life, and the judicial process in general.

Today, thanks to a school/school bus miscomunication, I had all 3 kids home with me. We went to the chiropractor and then the supermarket and then came home to put away groceries, start soup for dinner, and now the younger two are playing together on the living room floor, the oldest is checking her email and I'm playing on MDC.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On Monday we went to a friend's house and watched her kids because she had to work all day (she owns a flower shop so this is their crazy week). Her kids are the same ages as mine, so they all had a blast. Nothing resembling school happened unless you count playing with Legos.

On Tuesday, ds finished reading First Steps, the first book in his Amish reader series that he's working on. He did a page in the Singapore Math 1 Extra Practice book and did the Saxon math meeting book. Watched an episode of the Magic School Bus and the Muzzy German vocabulary builder tape.

Yesterday and today, he's mostly played in the snow with our next door neighbor, especially today. He's watching the Magic School Bus with him right now, since they were frozen and wanted to come in.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 02-15-2007, 06:43 PM

We went to the Ennironmental Center and learnt about insects, went to the library and hung out there for a morning, had ballet, went tubing up at the ski hill, read some books, did a couple of crafts. Lots of fun!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:55 PM

M<onday we had library meet with our HS co-op. DD had ballet Monday and Weds- she is getting ready for Royal Acedemy of Dance exams. She loves all the exdtra classes but at this point I can't wait for exams to be over. Ysterday the kids watched 2001. Also, yesterday afternoon DS had more Pokemon card drama with the neighbor boys. I think they all need color coded card protectors with the accusations that always fly (oy vey!) Today they are spening every spare moment playing Pokemon.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:42 PM

DD was sick so we learned about Nemo, brother bear, magic school bus etc, now other dd has it, so we are watching musicals. (moms sanity pick)

We read info on fair trade chocolates. dd found that very interesting. (sorry, typing with dd in lap)

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 02-15-2007, 08:32 PM

We are having one of those bi-polar weeks. DS (4), who struggles sometimes with fine motor stuff, went from begging to do mazes and tracing his name 20x, to dramatically refusing to decorate a mug for his papa's valentine. All week has been like that--radical swings from excited and engaged to total meltdown. I guess that's just being four.
Anyway, we got a great impromptu music lesson from a friend when we dropped by--piano and percussion and even a djembe! Big fun!
Oh, and there has been lots of playing in the snow--do they evey get cold?!

Juliette
Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 PM

On Monday Dd and I made some Valentine crafts together. Dd read some poems. We watched the snow fall and waiting for our new refrigerator to be delivered. We looked at a map of our town. The refrigerator wasn't delivered and I felt bad for the things we could've done if I weren't waiting by the phone and door.

Tuesday dh's office was closed. We shoveled snow and hung out as a family.
Dd and dh made cookies. Dd and I played a board game.

Wednesday dh's office was closed. He brought us lunch. Dd and I built houses and towers. We made a nice dinner. Dh wasn't feeling good so he slept and we tried not to disturb him.

Today I was not feeling good so we didn't do much. Dd watched TV and spilled stuff on the floor. The dog licked it up.

I feel pathetic.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 02-15-2007, 10:26 PM

Let's see, this week we made Valentine cards together, dd sewed a blanket for a model horse, we made some bath salts for dh for V-Day, dd added "furniture" to the cardboard house we made (she drew in a stove, table complete with tea set, chairs, framed art, bookshelf, end table, floor lamp, cat, and fire place!), and dd made a pinch pot. They've also been playing outside a lot since we have a streak of sunny weather. That was all the unscheduled stuff. Tomorrow we have a V-Day party at our homeschool co-op.

For the scheduled stuff, we read "The Star Child" and did star pictures in our lesson book, then traced our hands and colored them in (covering the number 5). We reviewed the letters A through I, with special attention to G, H and I, making a letter hopscotch on the living room floor with painter's masking tape.

This has been a particularly productive week, though. They aren't always this good <g>. Ds was sick last week, so we didn't do much, so dd is particularly enthused right now.

Kristin
mom to dd (5 1/2 yo), ds (2 1/2 yo), and #3 due in July
Old 02-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Hmm
currently my Dh and the kids are playing with their Valentine's Day Present - a digital blue QX5 microscope which luckily arrived yesterday just in time exactly as I planned . They are busy looking at a dead fly, bits of the flowers and a purple carrot peel.

We've have a somewhat busy week. My DS8.5 needed some help on graphing for his science fair project so we graphed M&Ms . We've had a tonne of Bill Nye videos out, we've been reading about NZ as my aunt and uncle are heading there for 6 weeks later this month and the kids wanted to know more about it.
We're working on Journey North at eIditarod projects and doing the typical weekly art/skating/dance lessons etc.

We went to a fun play yesterday based on the kid's book Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and tomorrow we are going to see this as the finale (sort of) of the quilting workshop my DD5.5 has done this winter.

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
DD was sick so we learned about Nemo, brother bear, magic school bus etc, now other dd has it, so we are watching musicals. (moms sanity pick)

We read info on fair trade chocolates. dd found that very interesting. (sorry, typing with dd in lap)
Oooooo, do check out Singing in the Rain. My kids love that one. It's funny to hear them quote a movie that is over half a century old but still sounds fresh and funny.

All my kids have a Debbie Reynolds fetish.

You can ask what Debbie Reynolds and Queen Amadala have in common...my kids would love to fill you in....
Old 02-15-2007, 11:38 PM

Monday we just hung out all day and read, we are all a but sick and still decompressing from our trip to mexico. Oh a friend came by for tea and we all made palydough while the baby was napping, as ds' all dried out while we were away. Tuesday DS 1 has preschool, and ds2 and i went grocery shopping. Then in the evening we met friends for dinner and then went to gymnastics.

Wed we had neighborhood playgroup, and then a quiet afternoon, reading and napping. Then some friends with kids the same age came over for dinner, ds and i made chickpea curry.

Today friends came over for brunch, and ds and i made them french toast, the kids played. And then after that we just read and had warm baths. Its insanely clod here (-40) so we can't wait for it to warm up!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:49 PM

We went to a brief dramatic interpretation of a children's picture book. The Children's' Theatre hosted it in conjunction with the city symphony (for free). My kids were slightly intimidated by the dramatic portion of it. There was a lot of solicited audience participation. They loved the music portion. One musician from the symphony demonstrated percussion instruments and he also allowed the children to play with the instruments. It was so much fun! Unfortunately, we've caught it at the end of the series but we'll look for it again next year. That was our big outing this week.

The kids spent most of the week playing. I feel like I haven't seen them much. Luckily, they left a trail...as I cleaned up stuff, they made a new one. At one point yesterday, they were astronauts who encountered dinosaur-Martians. It's been that sort of week.

We briefly did some chemistry at the beginning of the week but it's been a week full of play, mostly.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Monday: baked bread, met a friend at the park, bought 51 things at the Dollar Tree, made goodie bags for Tania's bday party. Tuesday: helped Joey put together his portfolio for his interior design class, went to soccer, did some Singapore math, went to a German toy store - bought dd's bday presents: paints, The Seven-Year-Old Wonder Book, box of old-fashioned games, a game called Yin Yang, Tania went shopping with the neighbor. Wednesday: went to ice skating, did language arts, read about Mary Queen of Scots, had the neighbor over for dinner. Thursday: cleaned the house, read.

Not a lot of excitement.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:11 AM

Speaking of chickens I just got a catalog from Meyer Hatchery here in Ohio. I loved looking at all the different breeds of birds they sell.The white crested black polish Bantam is quite a site.They sell peacocks too! I would love to get some birds.

Basic schooling stuff here.Each day some phonics,social studies(neighborhoods and map usage),math,spelling.Some crafts with clay and painting sea creatures that go on the fridege via magnet.Once it gets into the 20's we will be building an ice fort,and checking the temp inside it(and out).Today we are taking off,going shopping,and checking out an indoor black light/glow put-put golfing place....
http://www.glowforeit.com

Oh, and hopefully this weekend the kids can see how to properly replace a wax ring on a toilet,and mom not breaking anything in the process
Old 02-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcronewillis View Post
We are having one of those bi-polar weeks. DS (4), who struggles sometimes with fine motor stuff, went from begging to do mazes and tracing his name 20x, to dramatically refusing to decorate a mug for his papa's valentine. All week has been like that--radical swings from excited and engaged to total meltdown. I guess that's just being four.
Anyway, we got a great impromptu music lesson from a friend when we dropped by--piano and percussion and even a djembe! Big fun!
Oh, and there has been lots of playing in the snow--do they evey get cold?!

Juliette
That's great! I bet the drumming did ds alot of good. My brother made a drum called a cajon that's really awesome. It's a wooden box with strings in it....well, google it and you'll get to see more about it. If you like drumming you guys should try to make one. The cajon my bro made only cost about
$35 to make. Totally off topic, I guess, but fun stuff regardless.

We haven't done anything too crazy this week. I own a business so typically the kids go to work with me a half day then come home with dad. They have had a park trip this week. They went with me to my 24 week checkup and did some shopping. Today we layed around in our pjs until about 11 (which we NEVER get to do!!). So the pajamas were probably the height of our week. This afternoon she has art class then we're going to make some magazine necklaces and go to a friends 30th bday part. Was any of that even worth sharing.....

p.s. I'm a little jealous of you playing in the snow:P
Old 02-16-2007, 04:58 PM

We had HS PE/Swimming at the YMCA and our 1st 4H meeting. DD had her first Brownie ceremony and she got a couple of badges. DS and DD started new lapbooks. DD is obsessed with dolphins so she is doing her lapbook on that. She changed her name to dolphin. DS is doing a book report type lap book. He is reading the Pendragon series. We've been to the library 2x this week. Today we're going to the zoo and the used bookstore. This is a slow week for us. Normally DS has 11 dance classes and DD has 4. The dance studio has a mid-winter break so we're doing all of our field trips this week. I LOVE homeschooling.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Dar

You can come here and play in our snow... I'm honestly sick of it... and I'm jealous on your chickens-to-be, UUMom. Chickens used to be my best therapy - just watching them relieved major stress.

I don't even remember this week - is that pathetic? I shall try, working backwards... Today is Friday, and Rain is babysitting all day for my friend's 8 year old son, because school is out for the kids but she's a GTA and her college classes are running. Tonight Rain is going to a junior high dance with a friend... Whatever floats her boat... I am staying home doing stuff, because this is the first day for weeks that I haven't had either work or school or (like yesterday) both. I got college all squared away for Rain, so she'll be excited when she gets home. She can start either in the summer or fall, and take up to two courses.

Yesterday I was in class most of the day, got home, took Rain to the library to pick up some stuff she had on reserve, took Rain out for coffee, took Rain to dance, and went and taught a class. Rain went to a play at the high school with a friend after dance - something Bronte, I think. She was not so theatrically impressed.

Wednesday we did a lot of sitting around trying to think of what we could do, but it was 15 degrees outside so we kept deciding that staying home sounded better. Rain knitted a lot - she's been big into knitting lately. She's also been reading The Exorcist, which she says is boring but she wants to finish it anyway. Rain danced from 4 until 9, with an hour break. I went to hear a faculty candidate speak and then went to her reception afterwards, and then to my seminar class, where we mostly talked about the candidate. Oh, and I went to the dentist Wednesday morning - now my teeth are clean. Rain disn't wake up until about noon that day...

Tuesday I had class all day, and Rain danced from 4 to 7. I was supposed to pick up the candidate at the airport at 6, but her flights kept getting delayed. I finally picked her up at 11:15, and the airport is an hour from our town, and I got lost a bit on the way back, and we stopped for a hamburger because she hadn't eaten dinner... so I got home after 1. Rain waited up for me.

Monday we watched Jesus Camp with the director's commentary - we watched it on (I think) Saturday straight. I think everyone should see it - it's just a great documentary of evangelical christianity in the US and how it's being taught to children within that community. The filmmakers were very even-handed - it wasn't a Michael Moore-style documentary, where his bias is clear. The subjects of the film were generally very pleased with it.... but Rain was in tears within the first 20 minutes, and I found it very disturbing. It really shocked us that much of the documentary was filmed in a suburb maybe 50 miles from us, somewhere we've been...

Anyway, Monday ended with me tutoring and Rain dancing from 4-8:30... and that was our week.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 02-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Monday: My best friend was visiting from Boston. Both DDs loooooove her. She read them a ton of books, did some word searches with DD1, played some games (Elephant Something...I'm blanking on the name....and Memory using picture cards I got at a Mother Goose course).

Tuesday: BF left. DD1 started making up her own Dora adventures and everyone in the family got a part. The poor cat always wound up being Benny, who never has any good lines. (DD2 is Swiper because he's her fave...I think it's because she truly believes he's a cat, and she loves cats.) One involved going to Popsicle Island.

Wednesday: I introduce DD1 to the idea of valentines, and she insists on writing her name and her friends' names on 11 or 12 of them. Then she makes more for the entire family and anyone else she can think of. It's cute. It snows a ton here and DH and the kids make brownies from scratch.

Thursday: She and DH "play" Blue's Clues by drawing clues on paper and cutting them out, then putting them in strategic places around the house and trying to guess what the other person is thinking of. There's a lot more writing of letters, including a shopping list. We also talk about brains and local anesthetics...though that might have been another day. Probably was.

Today: they are at a friends' house and have been there for 4 hours now. DD2 has a cold and slept like %*$& last night...poor kid. DD1 has the same cold but DD2 sometimes gets a cough and wheezes and DD1 never does.

We have tons of snow here but it's 9 degrees....too cold to play! Maybe tomorrow - it's supposed to get into the 20s.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.

User Tag List