What stickies should we have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Dar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Although the admin has final say over forum stickies, I have a lot of flexibility here in choosing the ones we think are most valuable. Having subforums, on the other hand, is not under my control, but you can voice your opinions on that here.

Currently we have 6 stickies - those are the threads that are always at the top of the thread list and say "Sticky" next to them, for anyone who is new here. I think this is a lot, and I'd like to actually reduce the number a bit. I also think some of the stickies don't really cover the information that really should be stuck there for easy reference - the answers to questions people ask over and over again.

So, please tell me what stickies we should have for this forum. Give me no more than 5, and tell me why the thread should be sticked and what information it should contain.

Thanks!

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 10:03 PM

I think other academic ones would be nice. There is one for math but that is it, right??

Maybe a science, history and reading one????
#3 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 10:36 PM

Getting started in homeschooling
contents: suggested reading and websites, definitions of styles (we can leave the unschooling one blank ), finding a rhythm and a style that works for you and your kids, what to buy and not buy

Ways to help your child learn to read
discussion about whole language, immersion, phonics etc and specific suggestions re resources and approaches

Resources and suggestions for homeschooling the "under 5" group
I don't know what to suggest for including here but it seems that this topic comes up with astonishingly regularity

I like the math resource list, and the socialization one so I guess those would be my 5 (but the books about homeschooled kids is good too )

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#4 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 PM

Book suggestions based on both reading level and age appropriateness... e.g. younger advanced readers/read alouds, beginning readers appropriate for older kids, etc. Ideally these would be further separated by genre, if applicable: SF/F, adventure, etc.
#5 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 PM

Here's my two cents.

1. Getting started: (I'd recommend Ann Zeise's site and Lillian's site, certainly), brief descriptions/links on different homeschooling styles, articles, links to homeschooling laws (again, I'm thinking of Ann Zeise's site), info for family/friends, books that are great for those just starting down the path, etc.

2. Homeschooling Toddlers and "Preschoolers": Really not sure what to put in this one, but it does come up often. I think Lillian has some good articles collected.

3. Unschooling: Links, individual definitions, articles, books, possibly other groups, etc.

4. The three R's: Specific info on reading, writing and arithmetic. Styles, links, personal stories, what have you.

5. Free homeschooling links: (I just love this thread).

(Or, I could see getting rid of the free links thread and splitting up math and "language arts.")
#6 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 AM

My one and only issue is who should post where.

Fi, I contributed to a thread today that asked for feedback from a specific style of hser. I did contribute to it, even though the header was specifying a certain style of schooling to answer. I participated because I thought I had something to say. I didn;t say I wasnt't a part of the group they solicitied the info from, however.

I want to know if that sort of thing is OK. Where are the lines are drawn? I want to post to lots of threads, but I do limit myself, as I do not want to be inappropriate.
#7 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 03:48 AM

I go back and forth about whether we should have a sticky for fabulous resources. I think it might be too broad of a subject though. But then again....

I second NoHiddenFees sticky on book suggestions. I find myself having to dig deep to find what Im looking for in regards to books for my kids. Having a sticky would save heaps of time.
#8 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 10:04 AM

If there is a way to sticky certain threads on approaches, I think that would be valuable. Recently there was a thread asking about Charlotte Mason and it was filled with useful links, resources and suggested reading. I can see that being very helpful to more people down the road. Then is someone needs a link to something, they can check the sticky.

UUmom, you raise the issue of posting in threads where you don't consider yourself 'part of the group'. I guess I'd prefer we not draw too many lines about where we fall and share our experiences where they are relevant. Does that make sense?

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#9 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 10:59 AM

--UUmom, you raise the issue of posting in threads where you don't consider yourself 'part of the group'. I guess I'd prefer we not draw too many lines about where we fall and share our experiences where they are relevant. Does that make sense?--

I am not worried about contributing, being or not being part of a group..or anything like that.. don't have a prblem with that-- I post all the heck over the place. I am more interested in how much disclosure there should be before jumping in. I know I am not articulating this well... is it dishonest to go ahead and offer without first stating a label of sorts. I mean this for all of MDC..people are sometimes prickly about things...including moi..so i am trying to figure out issues of honesty. I don't know how else to say this.. There are so many splits and tribes and it's hard (for me) to figure how to best navigate that sensitivity respectfully.
#10 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 AM

I'd like stickies for people with older kids, and who already have a life philosophy of no spanking, respectful co-living etc.

More stickies for folks beyond the child- wearing stage. I need new reading material. Sitckies of places geared towards families with children who are 'school age'.
#11 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 11:42 AM

I'd like a sticky on what unschooling is, so that we don't continue to have thread after thread after thread about what unschooling is.

I'd like a sticky about the gems that people unearth while homeschooling: programs and websites and freebies, etc.

I honestly think we should ditch all the current stickies except the free links one. The rest of them just clutter up the page, imho.

Namaste!
#12 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 11:57 AM

OK..a sticky on what unschooling is so we don't keep having these discussions.

But can we still sometimes debate whether the words themselves are clear and/or appropriately self- explanatory, and whether we like using them to describe what we do/how we live? :
#13 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Please keep the free homeschool sites thread. There is so much good information there!!!
#14 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 04:18 PM

I think one sticky is plenty. Title it something clever so it catches the attention of every new poster, though! I hate how cluttered it looks up there with all of those stickies, but some of the info is invaluable.

Have the first link be to a thread titled "Getting Started" which could include links to sites and other threads about various methods and laws.

Second link to a thread titled "Homeschooling Toddlers and Preschoolers".

Third link to a thread titled "Homeschooling Elementary-Aged Children".

Fourth link to a thread titled "Homeschooling Highschoolers".

Fifth link to a thread with links for various subjects (math, history, etc.)

Sixth link to a book suggestions thread. That thread can be broken down into ones for picture books, read aloud books for pre-readers, early readers, advanced readers, teen favorites.

Seventh link to the free homeschooling resources post.

I think you get the idea. I think it could work really well. I'm willing to start the different threads and to do the work to get it all together if the idea has merit.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#15 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I'd like a sticky on what unschooling is, so that we don't continue to have thread after thread after thread about what unschooling is.

I'd like a sticky about the gems that people unearth while homeschooling: programs and websites and freebies, etc.

I honestly think we should ditch all the current stickies except the free links one. The rest of them just clutter up the page, imho.
dharmamama :

I would also love to see a Debate sticky : I really do enjoy debating the merits of X vs Y (in a civil manner of course) and I see these debates spring up in threads all the time where some one has innocently posted a question and things get , I think the debating when done in a friendly exploritory way is great but not so great when it derails some ones thread or a thread ends up locked over it.

ETA but I would love a place to see those debates carried out!

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#16 of 16 Old 02-18-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
I think one sticky is plenty. Title it something clever so it catches the attention of every new poster, though! I hate how cluttered it looks up there with all of those stickies, but some of the info is invaluable.

Have the first link be to a thread titled "Getting Started" which could include links to sites and other threads about various methods and laws.

Second link to a thread titled "Homeschooling Toddlers and Preschoolers".

Third link to a thread titled "Homeschooling Elementary-Aged Children".

Fourth link to a thread titled "Homeschooling Highschoolers".

Fifth link to a thread with links for various subjects (math, history, etc.)

Sixth link to a book suggestions thread. That thread can be broken down into ones for picture books, read aloud books for pre-readers, early readers, advanced readers, teen favorites.

Seventh link to the free homeschooling resources post.

I think you get the idea. I think it could work really well. I'm willing to start the different threads and to do the work to get it all together if the idea has merit.

I agree with this idea. It could also be cool if someone was able to set up a webpage for MDC homeschooling info and we could just link to that. It's so hard to keep it all on the boards, but I don't know if (a) separate information page(s) would be against the rules.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page