Living a global life with ds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-13-2002, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

We are a multi cultural family. I am Australian bornliving in the US with my American husband. Anyway, we have been negotiating and come up wih a plan to live in both countries. With financial planning, a solid business and smart real estate moves we think we can actually pull it off. (Very exciting I miss home and the european like culture terribly)
Anyway, our ds is 20mo and so of course this means no regular schools. (Oh man am i THRILLED about that). I instinctually lean more towards unschooling, and allowing life to be his rich teaching ground (If he wants school well then Ill suck it up and step aside)
Anyway, my only concern is that he may form attachments to people and have to leave every 6 months. On the other hand what a rich experience, such diversity, and at each homeland, there will be loved ones waiting. Anyway I still feel concerned and wonder if anyone has lived a similar experience and how it has affected there child
Cheers
#2 of 6 Old 02-13-2002, 09:51 PM

Will you be moving back and forth between two houses, so that each time you return to the place you where before? If so, he could continue those friendships when he returns each time, and, as he gets older, stay in touch with his friends when he is on the other side of the world.

We used to live in Tucson, and then lived in Canada for 18 months, and then returned to live in Tucson. We only visited Tucson once while we were gone. My older DD was 3 1/2 when we left and had just turned 5 when we got back. She remembered her friends and was anxious to see them and play with them again. I'm sure if we were heading back up to Canada in 6 months she would be thrilled to see her same friends again back there.

The down side is that sometimes other peoples lives change while you are gone and it may be harder to maintain a friendship with them because they've decided to send their kids to school or whatever. With moving frequently, you have to put more effort into your child's social life than you would if you stayed in one place. And there are times that my kids feel left out of things. Birthday parties are a bit of an issue, as they want to invite children that live thousands of miles away.

On the other hand, I think that all the travel we've done (my DH is British and we go back and forth) and the places we've lived have had a wonderful effect on my kids' world views. Both my kids have an understanding of the desert, know a little French, know that it is safe to walk on a frozen river as long as there are ice fishing shacks, etc. Their world is just so big.
#3 of 6 Old 02-14-2002, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Linda

and thank you for the response

Yes we will be living in the same homes so it will be familiar. Hopefully the friendships I am starting to form here will remain solid. The women and men we know have young kids, all are unschooled or homeschooled so fingers crossed!

I tend to agree about this kind of lifestyle broadening their views, I am excited and hope it will be rich for him.

Thanks again

Cassandra
#4 of 6 Old 02-14-2002, 01:08 PM

some of the success will depend on your child's personality - i have good friends who went back and forth every 6 months between here and Mexico with no problems until their oldest was around 8 - and then she found she had trouble getting back into her group of friends (though she was in public school and that could also make the difference) when she returned - because of her the family is now limiting their Mexico trips to the summer (they had no problems pulling their kids in and out of school mid-year - it was the social aspect that caused problems).

but why not give it a whirl? if it stops working you can always shift gears.
#5 of 6 Old 02-21-2002, 01:49 PM

Hey there!! We have not moved a lot but my husband's father was a military kid. They have lived all over the world as has a co-worker of mine. They both say they loved it as kids. Both of them are very social people and very intelligent!!!
#6 of 6 Old 02-21-2002, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

i APPRECIATE YOU TAKING TIME TO POST ON MY THREAD

oops didnt mean to yell, that darn caps lock key

Thanks again, its all very comforting.

I just read dumbing us down WOW what an awesome eye opening book
Im convinced, my son will not go to school (unless he wants to then I have to back off and surrender I guess .. so I am a little more settled about that side of things)

thanks again. My concern is all that moving, but its great to hear it can be fulfilling to a child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page