waldorf homeschooling, is this a start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-15-2002, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have begun to do some things with ds who is 2 years old, for the last few weeks. We have been doing this 2-3 times a week or every time he asks for it (lately everyday!).
I got a really nice book with a cd called Sing a Song of Seasons that he really likes so we are singing the winter songs and starting some spring ones, and we also have been painting in the way suggested in the book You are your Childs First Teacher, with blue, red and yellow and big brushes. Its really nice.
I used to paint and sing with him before and we have also done things in the house and garden but now I kind of see these activities with a different all-inclusive into waldorf perspective. Im relaxed about it but excited as well. I suppose now I feel like I have "started" because Im doing some things that are waldorf oriented.
How did you started and when?
#2 of 12 Old 02-15-2002, 11:11 AM

This is an oddly hard question to answer for me. On one hand, my kids have always been learning and I have always done things with them, so we never really "started." At the same time, there have been several times when it suddenly felt a little different. When I started reading about different homeschooling styles and trying things out to see what felt right for us; the first time I ordered something from a homeschooling cataloge; when DD#1's friends started preschool and she didn't; and when DD#1 was old enough to start public school and she didn't were all times that just felt different about our homeschooling journey.
#3 of 12 Old 02-15-2002, 12:48 PM

I have a 20 month old son and I have read "You are Your Child's First Teacher".

I am thinking of doing some of the things that you suggested, but am also interested in some other age appropriate ideas....
#4 of 12 Old 02-16-2002, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, I suppose it feels like a "start" because I ordered the waldorf book with songs and began using it.
I think Im falling in love with waldorf

Like what Iguanavere? Im curious!
#5 of 12 Old 02-16-2002, 03:49 AM

Where did you get this book? I would love to have it. I read the Steiner (sp?) book too and I was sold.

Let me now what else you find and where you found it.

Too bad you are in Mexico, otherwise, we could start a Waldorf playgroup.

To answer your question, we started in utero. I couldn't sleep when I was pregnant because I had to keep getting up to pee so I would stay up and read Dr. Seuss and other books to my fetus. I had always collected children's books so I had many! As soon as she was born, I was "teaching" her everything I could and still am. She will be 4 this month and love to learn (AND TEACH!)
#6 of 12 Old 02-16-2002, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ruth: I found the book at a site someone (sorry) recomended here at the boards
www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com
its a great site

a waldorf playgroup sounds good to me, will you consider moving a bit further south?

seriously, that would be nice, do you know if theres a way to find one?
#7 of 12 Old 02-16-2002, 05:00 AM

I just got a call tonight from a mama I met at our local Waldorf school. They are trying to start a Waldorf inspired homeschooling group! Yeah!!! I'll e-mail you, ok!?! I'm so excited!

I have several Waldorf books I bought at the school. Maybe you could borrow some & read more about it. You'll love it even more!

I have been doing some research & I'm thinking about ordering some Waldorf homeschooling curriculum. We need to get together & talk, friend!
#8 of 12 Old 02-16-2002, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

e-mail for you!!
#9 of 12 Old 02-16-2002, 12:15 PM

I guess I need to get the book out again....I know there are age- appropriate suggestions of activities.

I guess I think my ds is a little too young to do the painting stuff yet - se we are doing crayons and pencils. The paint would be too stressful for me as he would spend most of the time tyring to keep ds from painting my furniture.

We already read a lot of books and I am even trying to tell him stories from memory, but his language skills and attention span aren't there yet.

So I am wondering what others did with almost 2 year olds...
#10 of 12 Old 02-16-2002, 09:54 PM

There's a waldof homeschool playgroup in San Diego.

let me know if you'd like info.
#11 of 12 Old 02-17-2002, 05:33 AM

Do tell! You could PM me with the details if you don't mind! Thanks!
#12 of 12 Old 02-17-2002, 01:38 PM

Iguanavere,
I did not do much with paints and other messy crafts until my dd was at least 4 - I'll be totally honest here - I found it took a lot of time to set up and there was a LOT of cleanup for about 5 minutes of fun on dd's part. I don't even have markers or playdough in my house for the cleanup reason (mean mama). however, when the weather is warm, it is great fun to set up the easel and paints OUTSIDE where you don't have to worry so much!

we did do a lot with crayons and colored pencils and chalk... I used to feel guilty that I wasn't one of those moms who did a lot of art projects, but now that dd is older we DO do a lot, so I guess you just see what feels right.

most of the things I did with dd when she was under 2 were musically oriented - lots of singing and dancing, learning songs in other languages, learning mother goose rhymes, etc - i checked books out of the library which had the tunes to the mother goose rhymes so I could learn as many songs as possible. we also had a lot of nature walks.

i think the main thing is to do what you enjoy doing with your child, and not worry that you aren't doing the things you "ought" to be doing. The Toddler's Busy Book (also the Preschooler's Busy Book) by Trish Kuffner is a great source of ideas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page