Grants for Homeschooling Supplies??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-14-2007, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there such a thing as grants or some kind of governmental help on purchasing Homeschooling supplies and curriculums? Or is the best they can offer a deduction on taxes?
Im just wondering because in my search for just 1 or 2 good books on Waldorf I realized just how EXPENSIVE this can get and its unsettling and disappointing.
Thanks for any help on this!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#2 of 8 Old 03-14-2007, 03:22 AM

As far as I know, you get absolutely no help from the government for homeschooling. I think they mostly would rather you didn't do it at all.

Do you live near a good library? Homeschooling can be free; if you want to talk about your goals and needs there is bound to be somebody here who is on the same page!
#3 of 8 Old 03-14-2007, 03:51 AM

HI, as far as i know there are not grants or tax benefits to homeschooling. actually i do not want the goverment in my business, each state differs in homeschooling law and what they require.

Try searching google or yahoo, there are a number of homeschooling groups, etc... you are bound to find one or two or several in your area that can help you. In our area there are 3 we do things with. They offer a wealth of knowledge, we book swap, share lesson plans, go on great field trips etc...
I love our library, they can get almost anything for us. Also explore outside acitivies, (art class, dance class, story time) these are a great way to meet other families, you never know who could be sitting next to you , plus it allows for great social development for your kids...

I also get alot of my books from ebay/half.com...some of the more obscure subjects are readily available for pennies on the dollar...

good luck and keep us posted on your homeschool adventures
#4 of 8 Old 03-14-2007, 10:33 AM

the only way you can get the gov't to pay for your homeschool is if you live in a state that has virtual academies. some people really like this option, and depending on your childrens age it may be an okay route if their older. however, i think it's far too much for younger kids though. just my opinion....som mommies feel different and really like it though, as they get funds for a lot of extra curricular activities like ballet, gymnastics, etc. i guess it depends on the virtual academy that you choose. )

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#5 of 8 Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Actually, some states/school districts will provide funds for homeschoolers to buy curriculum. In my state (MN), I believe that it's a little more than $100/year. To claim this money, I would need to fill out a form and send in the receipts to our local school district. The materials must be of a secular nature. When this is done, the materials technically belong to the school district, you may not resell the books.

Personally, I've chosen not to take advantage of this, because I don't WANT the government paying for my kids' school books.

The previous posters were also correct that enrolling in a virtual charter school (public school) will provide books and other materials for free. But again, the materials belong to the school, and must be returned at the end of the school year.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 8 Old 03-14-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=1growingsprout;7550599]
I love our library, they can get almost anything for us. Also explore outside acitivies, (art class, dance class, story time) these are a great way to meet other families, you never know who could be sitting next to you , plus it allows for great social development for your kids...
QUOTE]

We already do story times on Wednesday Mornings and therefore have that nailed down. But Im interested in what you said about the library, are they willing to obtainbooks that arent in any of the branches? For instance, there are some Unschooling information books I would love to have a look at, as well as the Waldorf info (which is really what scared me price wise) but my library nor any of the associated branches have copies of these books. Is there a way to ask your library to purchase them?
Thanks again!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#7 of 8 Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=3babies4me;7553488]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
QUOTE]

We already do story times on Wednesday Mornings and therefore have that nailed down. But Im interested in what you said about the library, are they willing to obtainbooks that arent in any of the branches? For instance, there are some Unschooling information books I would love to have a look at, as well as the Waldorf info (which is really what scared me price wise) but my library nor any of the associated branches have copies of these books. Is there a way to ask your library to purchase them?
Thanks again!

i *think* its called INTER-library loan. where our library can literally search all the library systems in the US for a book you want. then they put in a request and in a few weeks you have your book. it took me a few times to find the correct librarian who knew how to do this, i have the best luck using the adult reference ladies. for example i wanted an obsucre outdated book, they were able to locate in Boston, they ordered it and about 3 wks later i had the book. the only down side is we are not allowed to renew but thats fine, i figure if i like it i will either buy it on ebay/half.com or at a book store, otherwise i can just xerox what i find interesting.
#8 of 8 Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM

Not sure about the homeschooling thing, but wanted to chime in. Last year my husband wanted to read a book that the Library didn't have, & yes, they do purchase them & call you when it arrives. Really cool! We live in N. KY., so if they'll do it here, I'm sure that others do it.

I've also heard they do a similar thing with DVD's & tapes, so you could even expand a little on what you were studying with other media. It's certainly worth a try! I just wish I was in a position to do what you guys are doing. I so fear sending my little one out there... : [ Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page