How to choose? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-16-2002, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello everyone,
My husband and I are planning to buy/build a home. We just got married (6 mons ago) and are planning to TTC Jan/Feb 03. So it seems a little funny to be thinking so hard about how we will educate our ( unborn) children! But we need to conceder that we may stay in this house for a long time (at least 10years) SO we need to conceder if we choose public school for example we need to pick a good school system. Or if we decide to try Private we should be in a location that is not too far from the private school. I personally lean more toward homeschooling but my husband has a lot of questions and concerns that I can not always answer. Like if we home school how will the child meet friends or play mates? will they be able to join sport teams are other extra curricular activities that public schools offer. So Hoping to get some answers and good advice!!
#2 of 14 Old 02-16-2002, 04:11 PM

I think that it is a bad idea to buy a home based on the schools because your concept of what is a "good" school may change dramatically over the next few years or what they are doing at the school may change. Deciding what is a good school is tricky business.

We live in a city where houses cost about 40% more in the school district with the highest test scores. I know people who spent all that extra money on a home and then decided that the school wasn't a good match for their kids and are now homeschooling. We wanted to buy in a decent school district, though, because the resell value is more stable that way.

As far as friends and playmates, my kids play with our neighbors, attend a homeschooling group once a week, and currently take 2 classes through our cities park and rec program. We sometimes have other families over for dinner and our kids are friends with our friends' kids, too.

In some states homeschoolers can participate in school sports and even take a few classes at the Jr. high or Sr. high level. In some states they can't. Even though that is an option where we live, it is not a path we plan on pursuing. Our kids will do sports (if they choose) through neighborhood programs like parks and rec, the Y, etc.
#3 of 14 Old 02-16-2002, 04:52 PM

What Linda said. ;-)

You can check out the hsing laws at http://www.nhen.org/leginfo/ As was already noted, it depends on the state (and maybe the district) as to whether or not a homeschooled child can participate in school activities. Also, the regulations regarding hs vary greatly from state to state--in some places you will enjoy a great deal of freedom, and in others, you will be bound to report to the district.

Regardless, if the town you are in has a recreation program, that should be open to ALL children who are residents of that town. There are also clubs like 4-H, scouts, boys and girls clubs, and "Y" programs as sources for activities. Your children might also participate in summer programs like camps, or in dance, gymnastics, art or music and theatre activities and of course, homeschool groups. Homeschooled kids don't need to be isolated, so don't let that worry hold you back.

If we were moving, I'd look for an area that was rich in opportunities -- someplace near museums, science centers, parks, recreational activities, theater, concerts, etc.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#4 of 14 Old 02-17-2002, 01:49 PM

I would choose a location based on the place I most wanted to be. If it's important to you to be near parks or libraries or whatever, let that be your guide. For instance, when you have a toddler do you mind having to get them into the car every time you want to go to a playground (or to the library or playgroup or whatever) or would you prefer to toss them into the stroller and walk in the fresh air? Do you want to be able to stroll all day, to the grocery store, then the library, then a playground before wandering home, or is buckling your child(ren) in and out of car seats a zillion times appealing to you? Or is public transportation easily accessible (note that many bus systems are not child-friendly, but some are and don't mind you bringing a stroller on board and will even lower the wheelchair lift for you to get on)? Are there other young families in the neighborhood - young children already present and young couples who may be starting families soon, or are most of the children middle school aged or older - or are most familes retired couples?

A community with a lot of resources for children - good libraries, nice playgrounds, recreation center for children's classes, etc - will provide ample opportunities for your children to meet others regardless of public/private/home education choice. And by the time your kids are "school" age you will probably have changed your mind about 20 times concerning their education!!

good luck!
#5 of 14 Old 02-18-2002, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with what everyone said. Who knows what a school will be like in 6-7 years. You will know however if there will be a store handy, a park or pool near, a good library that you can use etc . . . These are much more important than what school they go too.

As for the issues you brought up about homeschooling:

Kids meat kids evrywhere. They are much better than adults at making friends (Hey, wanna be my friend? Yeah? Great lets go play). So long as you stay active and social your kids will. Regardless of whether or not your kids are in school there will be endless oppritunities for girl scout, dance, art classes, social functions, church, music classes, playdates, kids in the neighborhood. If you homeschool you will be in a better postion to utilize these opprituities because your childs schedule won't be tied up with school.

For sports most childrens teams aren't through the school anyways. Things like soccor, tennis, baseball, and basketball are through the city associations and the YMCA. when your child is in High School the two of you can decide together if playing sports is a good enough reason to go to a group school.

You can homeschool in any sort of house. There is no need to plan for an extra room for a class room, desks, flag chalkboard etc . . . Nobody does this. At least not for long. Everyone I have ever known who did this either freaked out and quit homeschooling altogether or got a clue and realized it was to phoney and started enjoying genuine learning oppritunities everywhere (including thier desks but not limited to )

good luck. How thoughtful of you to start thinking about all of this now. So many people just rush into (and through) parenting without ever thinking about anything. It drives me crazy. You children are lucky to have thoughtful parents.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 14 Old 02-20-2002, 04:45 PM

What a great state to homeschool in!! Last I checked,
Ohio had more Homeschoolers per capita.

You will NOT be alone.
While you are pregnant, you could go to these great
homeschooling events (parkdays, conferences, etc).
If you really fall into homeschooling, maybe start a playgroup
for moms who plan to homeschool their children. Plan
field trips for the 1-5 year olds (pet stores, ice cream places,
pizza places, zoo, parkdays, etc). You will grow your own
homeschooling group in a matter of no time!

Here are some links to State & Local homeschooling Groups!

Vicky mommy to Madison
Homeschooling In SCV

Here is a HS conference:
CHEO Annual Convention
June 27-29, 2002. Veterans Memorial Hall in Columbus, Ohio.

Colubus site for events for Children
< http://www.avcalendar.com/ >

Ohio Events (many things for kids)
< http://www.ohioevents.com >

Ohio Home Education Coalition
< http://grafixbynix.com/ohec >

Christian Home Educators of Ohio
< http://www.cheohome.org >

Central Ohio Homeschool
< http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralOhioHomeSchool >

Inclusive North Columbus Home Education Support
< http://groups.yahoo.com/group/INCHESgroup >

Ohio Homeschoolers
< http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ohiohomeschoolers >

Unschoolers Ohio
Just type "subscribe [Your name]" in the body of the email. For additional information, email Lori Collner roy@qn.net or email unschoolers-ohio-request@kjsl.com.

Home Educators in Central Ohio
< http://members.aol.com/ChrisOCo >

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#7 of 14 Old 02-20-2002, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!!
I didn't know that there was so much going on here!! Thanks so much!!
#8 of 14 Old 02-20-2002, 06:09 PM

You are most welcome!

There are usually many AP/ Mothering type moms in some of the homeschooling groups!

Don't count yourself out due to the age of your child..or having none yet.

Sometimes you can be the most valuable because you have time to help
plan Field trips for older HS'ers, organize events and such!

Good luck and have fun!

Vicky
#9 of 14 Old 02-21-2002, 07:27 PM

Hi Rasa,
We have 4 kids (13, 8, 5, 2) and homeschool. We bought for the great public school district, because of concerns regarding property value and problems selling our old house because the school district had developed a gang problem & bad rep.
Our kids meet others through our church, scouts, playing outside or at the playground, through park district/public library programs, or through the 2 home school support groups we belong to.
We put up some pictures on our family website of going to the homeschool valentine bowling party & our latest field trips, we will be attending a convention next month, kids will do a flea market/beach towel thing and take some classes, we also have a spelling bee coming soon.
Our local community college offers enrichment classes for hsers also, there is so much to do that it is a problem picking which things to participate in. Good luck with your decision & new home.
Mary
http://www.dbmen.com
#10 of 14 Old 02-21-2002, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanna's Mom
We bought for the great public school district, because of concerns regarding property value and problems selling our old house because the school district had developed a gang problem & bad rep.
We also wanted to be in a decent school district because we felt that there would more families with kids close to our kids ages. We looked at one lovely development which was closer to many things we enjoy, but it was in the worst school district in the area, so it was mostly people with grown children moving in.

The resale thing is a huge issue, too. My parents buy houses in bad shape and rehab them and then sell them. They won't even consider a house in the worst school district in their city because they did it once and it was VERY hard to resell. Houses in even a moderate school district are much easier to sell.
#11 of 14 Old 02-22-2002, 02:54 PM

I just wanted to let you know that I am going through the same situation with my husband. I am a graduated student from 11 years of homeschooling and really want to teach my 2 yr. old, 1 yr. old, and soon coming child at home. My dh had tons of questions at first but he now is realizing that it will be the greatest oppurtunity for all of us.
I lived in 5 different states while my parents homeschooled me. It was never a question of where to homeschool, but doing it well in every situation. My wonderful mother taught 5 of us all at home and we are the most out going, well balanced children in the area. No Kidding! It made a reall difference with us though, that our father was just as involved and supportive of the whole situation. So, what ever you do, do it together! Your kids will thank you.

I am new to the boards and thank you for letting me comment.
You are a real testimony to the new young mothers in this nation who really care about the future of your children and family! Thankyou for being such a thoughtfull parent and wife!

Cammie Sue :cool:
#12 of 14 Old 02-25-2002, 09:18 PM

Hi Cammas 2, thanks for posting. Always nice to have a new "face" on the board We are a diverse group here. Hope you will post often since you, too, were homeschooled.
Leslie in MD, board moderator
#13 of 14 Old 08-10-2002, 04:30 AM

I would pick a house in good school distirict and not just for re- sale values. You never know what your life will be like. Maybe you will realize that for whatever reason home schooling is not for you (you want to start working agin, do not like to be home all the time, you need the money, can not afford private school etc etc (I do not wnat to mention some pessimistic probabilities). Maybe I am a pessimistic Russian, but we have an old syain, :"The person who saves herselfe is saved by God." It is really hard to plan year in advance before you even know what kids of baby you will ahve and what kids of mother you will be. Everything has its pro and contra and felxibility will allow you to make the best desision for you and your future child when the time come
#14 of 14 Old 08-10-2002, 05:36 AM

Well it's great that you're thinking down the line, but since you're not even trying to get pregnant yet (much less expecting or have kids) I think you need to buy or build in an area which meats your needs NOW. Even if you got pregnant right away, you will have a good 5 years before you start thinking about how to school ,and a lot can change in that amount of time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page