Mothering Forum banner

Which curriculum do you like for K? Sonlight vs. My Father's World or no curriculum?

8K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  MidwifeErika 
#1 ·
HI,
I've been researching and putting my feet on HSing world for 2 years but don't know much about curriculum. My son will be 5 in June and I will need to decide which way to HS him. I visited my friend who use Sonlight curriculum and I liked the books but it is expensive...
What do you suggest for HSing Kindergarten age and what curriculum is good? I also went to a curriculum fair but there are so many books out there I can't literally pick each one and choose...
Thanks so much.

#3 ·
i have never used anything for kindergarten. We use a basic handwriting program (a reason for handwriting and explode the code primers) and math program (making math meaningful) and start with reading instruction but otherwise everything else is just reading library books etc . . .

#4 ·
Quote:
Which curriculum do you like for K? Sonlight vs. My Father's World or no curriculum?
I'd say "no curriculum" if, by that, you mean a schooling type program. Here's an article I put together after years of repeating parts of it over and over again: A Homeschool Curriculum for Preschool and Kindergarten

And this page of links includes articles at the top, beneath which are lots of annotated links to websites that have great ideas for activites with little ones:
Preschool and Kindergarten Learning Activities.

Have fun!
Lillian

#7 ·
Another Ambleside Online user here...I'm using it for my 8 year old but when my son is in Kindergarten in a few years I'll use it for him too. Technically it is a curriculum but it allows for a lot of freedom, with no tests, workbooks, etc--it's mostly just reading great books with your kids, going for nature walks, doing handicrafts, etc. It's also completely free and there is plenty of online support in the way of Yahoo groups.

It's based on the teachings of Charlotte Mason, so in order to really use Ambleside's curriculum you need to read up on her methods, but even if you're not interested in that their year-by-year book lists will give you lots of ideas for wonderful books you can check out at the library.

For kindergarten, I definitely wouldn't sweat it too much. Kids should still be mostly playing all the time at that age.

#10 ·
I've used both of the programs you asked about, and I far prefer MFW for a 5yo. I found that SL core K (recently renamed core C) is above the head of many 5yos. About half of the read-alouds in core K (the new core C) weren't enjoyable for my (at the time) 6yo DS. I also found that discussion and comprehension questions included in the SL K instructor's guide were all things I'd ask my child anyway, and didn't add much to the program. SL tries to encourage people not to look at core K as a kindergarden program, which is why they renamed the program this year. Although an advanced child could use core K/ core C as a kindergardner, it is my experience that around half of the books are not age-appropriate (read= boring) for a typical K child. After using 3 different SL cores, I'm of the opinion that SL makes a better reading list than it does an actual curriculum. But YMMV

This year I'm using MFW K with my 5yo and 6yo, and both of the kids are REALLY enjoying it. It teaches phonics in such a sequential, logical way. And the rest of the suggestions made in the IG are fun for my kids. I love that we do more than just sit and read (sitting and reading is ALL you do with SL core K). FTR, I am not planning to use MFW 1st grade, as MFW has integrated religious lessons that are not consistent with our family's beliefs. Actually, we're using MFW K in a secular manner, and I've found it very easy to remove the religious portions from the curriculum. However, I've read that it is much harder to do this in the upper level curriculum.

I'll also add that I don't think a curriculum is necessary for kindergarden, not by a long shot. I used one with my oldest because I was an excited new HSing mom who wanted to be doing *something* with my child. I'm using a curriculum again for my 6yo because English is not his first language, and I feel he needs more instruction/practice than most kids his age, just to be on a level playing field.

#12 ·
I've always like the idea of using curriculum (especially Sonlight) but once I do all the research and try them out I always come back to doing our own things on our own schedule

My DD is 5 yr old and I thought maybe Sonlight would be good because we love to read and the schedule might keep me on track since I'm hsing her older brother too. But after I got it (used) and tried it I realized that all you need for that age is things that interest them-in her case:
-TONS of paper and tools to draw with
-books to read aloud
-BOB type books for her to read
-a basic handwriting workbook for her to practice when she's interested

We just do science as we experience it in life....we talk about the weather, clouds, animals, etc

For math we play lots of games which is good for both my older kids.

For me, a schedule like SL or others, is just a way for me to get frustrated because I'm "behind" or the kids don't like their scheduled activity.

Everyone has to find their own groove to see what works for you

#13 ·
We're loosing doing My Father's World K. Basically we take the subject do a couple of the activities suggested and get lots of books on the library. But nothing is rigid and we go slowly. It's lots of fun though! I tried Sonlight and felt like it skipped around too much! Just a personal preference though!

#15 ·
I tend to agree with the "you don't need one at this point" but if you're looking for something to give you ideas about what to do, Oak Meadow has a very flexible curriculum. I haven't seen the K curriculum, but I like the 1st and 2nd grade approach -- it's more like a bunch of ideas of what to do each week, incorporating awareness of the seasons/nature, which works for us in New england. That's what I like about ambleside and tanglewood too -- I take the list and do what I want with it.

#16 ·
I'm using MFW K and we *love* it. I'm also using MFW 1st for my DD and she is really doing well.

If the christian content doesn't bother you then I highly rec. MFW! If you go to their website they have a pretty active message board w/ lots of experienced mama's!

#18 ·
I have the Oak meadows K and I like it quite a bit. We have only done parts of it just because my oldest is only 4 right now. I like it because it is relaxed and is just idea giving for things to do. So it might look like:
tell this story
talk about the letter "a"
go on a nature walk and talk about leaves and the season turning to fall
draw a picture of fall

So, for me this is perfect because I do really like having a general outline of ideas in front of me. I know I can skip over what isn't interesting to us and spend more time on what is interesting and I can add in things that I want such as more music and more reading stories. So while a 5 year old doesn't really need a curriculum at all.... I can totally relate with a mom feeling better about having one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.