Mothering Forum banner

K12 Virtual Academy?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mary-Beth 
#1 ·
Newbie here...thinking about homeschooling next year.

We have a K12 Virtual Academy that just opened up here last year. Everything is totally free, which is the biggest benefit for us, as we are struggling financially and I feel like an existing curriculum would be best to start out with.

The one reservation I have with the K12 program is that it seems like there is very little freedom for students and parents. It looks like you have to constantly send reports to the "school" and such. I'm not sure that I like the idea of having that watchful eye over us all the time.

Any experience with this?

#4 ·
From what I have read regarding K-12, not from this list, is that it is a government funded homeschooling program and is to be avoided. This is just what I have read a very long time ago when I first started homeschooling four years ago. I guess just do the research and see what you really want your homeschooling experience to be like.
Try this one... it is free too...
http://amblesideonline.org/

#5 ·
I just posted this in a thread below this one.

Quote:
We use k12 as a homeschool option (2nd and 4th grades). We just dropped the math and science portion of it. I found math for my children to be too easy. They love math and were always wanting to do more. We finished it up very early and I didn't sign back up for it.

I found their science, on the other hand to move too quickly. I also thought it was very hard. My kids were horribly frustrated with it. I think their history is a little advanced as well. But you don't really have to fully undersand history to move on and theirs repeats itself so much that eventually my kids get it. I am also REALLY weak in history and this program keeps me on track.

I really love their language arts program. It is slow enough that it helped my slow reader improve tremendously and yet fast enough that my fast reader isn't feeling constrained.

I am not sorry we started with this program. It really taught me how to homeschool. It showed me how to set things up, teach, keep things going. But I am not sure we will continue to stick with it even for the language arts next year. I might continue with their history program, because I just don't think "I" will stick with history otherwise.

#6 ·
Oh my gosh, thanks everyone for linking me in. It's so helpful to hear the stories of other parents who have used K12. (The good and the bad!) I am definitely not going to go for the K12 curriculum, since my children both seriously need to be 'de-schooled' right now. DS #1 has been so completely pushed into a mold and with his personality, he now has a black or white perspective. Public school has sucked the creativity right out of him. He resists and cries and gets so frustrated with creative writing, drawing, open ended questions, etc. DS #2 is just now being diagnosed with ADD and it takes him a lot longer to complete tasks than other kids his age. I would hate to start homeschooling and have my kids despise learning at home too.

I'm so glad I can cross another curric. off my list. Thanks!

#7 ·
Thanks for the links.

Just one thing is that in those links people discuss it as if you have to do all or none. You don't have to sign up for all the classes-- you can do just one. And you don't have to do it through your public school or submit anything to the virtual school, unless that is the option you want.

Parents can buy the curriculum to the class of their choice directly.

I'm still looking...not sure what I even want yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.