how many books do you have? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've recently gotten rid of alot of books - I went from over 100 cookbooks to one shelf of my very favorites, for example. And now I actually use them unlike before when I had so many it was just overwhelming.

We have 3 bookcases in the living room/dining room and they are mostly filled with reference/non-fiction books, some of dd's books, and a big shelf just for our library books. (We usually come home with 20+ books on an average trip to the library.) Dd has a small bookcase in her room and we have a small 2 shelf bookcase next to our bed with our favorite fiction.

I really like the library because there are alot of books we love but really have no need to keep them around - like 90% of the fiction I read and alot of dd's books. I don't tend to re-read books, so there is no real reason to own them.

flowersforyou.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 09:40 AM

We're book junkies. It would take me a bit to count every last one of them, but a rough guess would be easily well over several hundred between the childern books and adult books.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#33 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftField View Post
I once counted them one day when I was incredibly bored and a post like this was posted on another site. I remember it was over 750 books. We're getting ready to move and I really need to get rid of some of them.

We culled so many in our last recent move. It was the most painful thing for me, I actually teared up over letting some go. :

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#34 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Lots and lots. At least 1000, I'm sure. I have books in boxes in the garage. Dh doesn't understand, he's not a book guy (you should see his iPod and his CD collection though, sheesh!). I try to restrain myself, and stick to the library. We probably have over 20 books out each week, between the kids and myself. I only buy books if I really want them, anymore.
#35 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthluvinmama View Post
I'm a member of this awesome site called paperbackswap.com. We've been members for a couple of months and have already exchanged a ton of books in about 20 different states. It's really the coolest thing and it doesn't cost anything at this point to join. There are over a million titles to choose from between members.

I would try to explain the concept, but it would probably be best to just check out the above link. There is a video from a news story there as well. If you do join, please be sure to use my email as a referral so iI get a book credit (earthluvinmama@gmail.com). Thanks!

I hope I don't sound like an infomercial here ...I just really, really enjoy this exchange concept! Anyone else familiar?

I am hopelessly addicted to that site. I ahve gotten so many awesome books and given some not so awesome that I didn't want anymore.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#36 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 04:19 PM

About a million. Well, give or take a few.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#37 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 PM

I managed to get most of our children's books (but not the picture books) into LibraryThing and was shocked to find we about about 1100 children's books. I've only put in a couple hundred of my and my husband's books. There are about a hundred checked out from the library at any given time as well (about 3/4 homeschooling related). Librarything is great... we've got so many partial series that it's hard to keep track; when I see a bargain, I have have DH check on his internet phone thingie to see if which volumes we're missing (he can also check Amazon and Powell's pricing).
#38 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHiddenFees View Post
I managed to get most of our children's books (but not the picture books) into LibraryThing and was shocked to find we about about 1100 children's books.
Do you have a scanner or did you key all of those in by hand? I tried the isight camera on my laptop for entering them, but it was not working as well as I would like (too slow and particular about lighting to work).

OP, I do not currently know how many books I have in the house. Just say lots (and lots and then a bunch more LOL!) A bookshelf in the living room, 1 in kitchen, 2 in the dining/project/school/my office, 2 in dh office, 2 in DS + an overflow pile, 2 in DD1, and 3 bookshelves in master bedroom with bins stored under the bed. Yikes!!!
#39 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 12:26 AM

we have alot... probably 1000 and we are getting more on saturday.. the library has its semi annual book sale... someone PLEASE stop me...

we love new books, used books, classic books etc.... we gets books from everywhere... including, barnes noble, borders, bookmans, (used bookstore) goodwill, savers, craiglists, booksales... we are book-aholics
#40 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clane View Post
Do you have a scanner or did you key all of those in by hand? I tried the isight camera on my laptop for entering them, but it was not working as well as I would like (too slow and particular about lighting to work).
LibraryThing lets you do keyword searches of the Amazons, the Library of Congress, and many other databases. You can type in a couple keywords (including words like "hardcover") and pick out your book from a list that pops up by clicking on the title or cover. All the other info is filled in. If your edition doesn't show up, you can "change cover" later, and choose the appropriate one. Changing the cover will change the publication information automatically. LT lets you export all your info into a number of different formats as well

I don't know how many times I'd started to catalogue our books, but this was so easy, I actually finished what I'd set out to do (i.e. the kids' books).
#41 of 51 Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 PM

We used to be book junkies but realized we'd like to simplify things and keep only books we really really enjoyed and would read again, books for reference, books we felt were "important" and wanted to keep to share with friends and all of our daughter's books. Oh and books we bought but hadn't read yet. LOL

We're down to three bookcases now (they nearly reach the ceiling and one is all dd's books) and regularly weed out books to sell at the bookstore. But we always let our friends go through them first and take out ones they want for free We like to share.
#42 of 51 Old 04-01-2007, 09:17 PM

Bazillion.

One can never have too many books.

Books (and reading) are the single most important thing in a child's education.

By the way, some of the books I have were pulled from my grandmother's attic years ago. They were published in the late 1800s. One of them was some religious prophecy book which claims the world will end in 1941.
#43 of 51 Old 04-12-2007, 09:44 PM

A lot but not enough. We use the library like nobody's business (and have subsequently found out the limit on the card ) and I love to hit up the bookstore. We only have two sets of shelves right now, one big and one small. I've got another matching big one waiting for me at my mom's house but even with that one, we probably will still need more room. I think we don't have enough books but dh is overwhelmed because of the stacks everywhere. So, I'm trying to find some cheapie (but sturdy) bookcases to get things in order. Any advice on where to get some (other than yardsales, thrift stores, etc. I haven't had any luck there)?

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#44 of 51 Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 PM

Too many, thousands, of wait that's very few books.

We have our own personal library.
#45 of 51 Old 04-13-2007, 12:02 AM

More than I'm willing to count. I just wanted to jump in and second the recommendation for Paperbackswap.com and LibraryThing. I actually use Librarything to keep track of the library books we read so that I can remember the good ones to check out again for my son.

You can see my swap and librarything lists on my blog. Links right below the photo of my daughter and me.

Nina
http://preschoolathome.typepad.com/
#46 of 51 Old 04-13-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldermamato5 View Post
I'd be embarrassed to count,and I am frequently purging! Books and plants are my thing. My kids love them too,so we have one big bookcase just for their books.
I could have written this!

The last year or so I haven't really had any money for books and have been utilizing the library more, so I haven't been adding.
#47 of 51 Old 04-13-2007, 06:53 PM

Yikes! We have loads.Bookshelves,boxes,piles. Well basicly,we have a lot.

Mom of 7 great kids:Sarah(10'95), Lisa(12'96), Noah(8'98), Janet(11'99), Katherine(3'01), Martin(12'02), Hailey(5'04) and #8 on it's way!Vist my blog!http://wondersoflearning.blogspot.com/:
#48 of 51 Old 04-13-2007, 07:23 PM

Oh, golly - tons.

14 full bookcases (I just counted - didn't realize we had that many!). 3.5 are mine, 4 are dh's, and 6.5 are Kenzie's. Granted, he only has two that are tall - the others are smaller ones. Dh's and mine are all tall, though.

I'm very good about getting rid of fiction I've read, unless it's something that I've fallen in love with. Those, I keep. The bulk of mine are nonfiction that I use quite a bit - books on homeschooling, parenting, computer programs, grammar, graphic design, natural living, cooking, history, music, etc. Oh, and one of my bookcases is devoted entirely to poetry books.

Dh has LOTS of fiction. He's a fast reader, and he also likes to reread, so he keeps almost everything. Most of those are sci fi and fantasy. He also has lots of art and computer books.

Kenzie has some of everything, it seems. Lots of novels (mostly fantasy), of course, but a TON of nonfiction - Greek myths, ancient history, dinosaurs, sign language, American history, wildlife, science experiments, puzzle/game books, fantasy creatures, biographies, trivia, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! manuals, drawing instruction, etc.

We still visit the library each week, but all of us just love having our own copies of books we really enjoy. We buy almost all of them at thrift stores and garage sales, but if there's something specific we're looking for, we usually head to half.com. I can't imagine how much our collection of books would have cost full price! :

One of these days, I'd like to raid our local Ikea and furnish an entire room with Billy bookcases. I just love the corner units!
#49 of 51 Old 04-13-2007, 09:14 PM

way too many to count, we all love books!

Shannon
#50 of 51 Old 04-14-2007, 08:56 AM

Thousands and thousands. Bookcases, racks, baskets, piles, totes, books, books everywhere and my new favorite, e-books which are eating all the space on my computer. The favorite spot for books is around the bed. I clean from 50-75 from the side of the bed every few days, lol! I would love to live in a house where we could actually have room for them all . I could easily buy a couple shopping bags at the local second hand stores a week not to mention my online shopping, which I have had to curtail.

(ets: I have many bags of books to give away but I can't bring myself to do it, not to mention the kids keep finding them so they've integrated themselves back into the books we are keeping).
#51 of 51 Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 AM

I wish Amazon had a library version that operates like NetFlix.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page