how many books do you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of my friends have been commenting about the ginormous amount of books we have. I've cleared out toys to accommodate more books. We have a bookcase downstairs with that has 3 shelves - 2 bigger and 1 smaller shelf that fits board books. And I have a bookcase upstairs with seasonal books and educational books I've collected for when he's older. I often go through and clear out books that weren't big hits, but we still have a lot. Just wondering how many you all have for your kids? I can't be the only book junky... We go to the library weekly and he has his favorites that he reads over and over, but it's not unusual to see him on the floor in a stack of books looking through them.

DS loves books and so when I see good deals on quality books I get them for him.

Did I mention he's only 2? LOL

We are definitely a book family... DH's office is lined with tall shelves loaded with scifi/fantasy books and our bed has underbed bins underneath loaded with books as well.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#2 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 12:42 PM

Too many to count. They are everywhere in our house. DS has a 3 shelf book case in his room which is overflowing. DD has a 3 shelf bookcase in her room which is overflowing and dh and I have bins of books all over the house.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#3 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM

Way too many!! I am currently finishing a room in our basement and converting into a family library.

I'm thinking about using Readerware or LibraryThing to organize myself better. I hate when I buy a book only to find that I already had a copy! :
#4 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

oh my. If I'm not the only one than you've all just enabled me. I'm doomed. I have 3/4 of DS's books logged on a spreadsheet. But I can't keep up with the flow! LOL

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#5 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 01:52 PM

I grew up in a household where maybe 1/4 of the walls were lined with 6 foot book shelves (stacked 2 or 3 deep) with stacks of books on most tables, with boxes of books in the attic. And it was worse before... I can remember as a small kid driving with my dad to donate 2 truck loads of books to a library from my parents' collection. We are talking about AFLICTED book junkies.

In our house we only have maybe a 6 foot and a 4 foot book case full of "grown up" books (mostly car, technical, and birth/parenting books)

both kids under 2 and I would guess we have "eleventeen" books. At least 150 pounds of board/kids books.
#6 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Let's see . . . We have 20' by 6' downstairs plus my son has 4' by 6' and dd has 4' by 6' and our bedroom has the same so that equals (my math for the day!) 192 square feet of books.
#7 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullens_Girl View Post
oh my. If I'm not the only one than you've all just enabled me. I'm doomed. I have 3/4 of DS's books logged on a spreadsheet. But I can't keep up with the flow! LOL
With Readerware you can buy a hand held scanner and just scan the upc on the book. Saves a ton of time I imagine...I just haven't been able to justify the cost yet. You don't need the scanner to use the program though...you can manually enter in the isbn and then it pulls all of the book's info and catagorizes it...

I can't wait to get started!
#8 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthluvinmama View Post
With Readerware you can buy a hand held scanner and just scan the upc on the book. Saves a ton of time I imagine...I just haven't been able to justify the cost yet. You don't need the scanner to use the program though...you can manually enter in the isbn and then it pulls all of the book's info and catagorizes it...

I can't wait to get started!
That is so cool!!! I can't wait to get started either, although it will probably take me a few months. We have a two 7x7 custom built bookcases that are overflowing with books. A standard six x 2(my five and six buttons don't work, sorry) Overflowing with books and magazines. I have a five x five bookshelf in my room filled to the brim and then the boys each have a bookshelf in their rooms that are filled. I would love to turn the downstairs into a library, but that is the teen's domain.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
#9 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 03:43 PM

We actually have gotten rid of many of our books. We have access to a good library system. Although it's tempting to keep lots of books around 'just in case' we want to read them, I found having a lot of books to be overwhelming.

I do keep a list of books we've read, so if we want to read it again, it's a simple task to check it out from the library again. I've also found that I read MORE now that we keep fewer books in the house. If I know I have a book and I can read it anytime, there isn't much incentive for me to read the book in a timely manner. However, if I check out a book from the library I know that I have a limited amount of time in which to read the book.

We've gone from having about 10 bookshelves full of books, down to 1. It actually felt really good to let all of those other books go (not to mention, it has helped to pad my paypal account ). I have kept a few favorite fiction books, and many reference and non-fiction books. But we've pared it down quite a bit.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#10 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM

Ginormous here too. We just donated about 150 to the library book sale.
#11 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 04:20 PM

Too many! I already had a book addiction before having kids. Well, now I am nutso about getting kids books, so nuts I'm feeding my addiction even more, b/c I am also an usborne books consultant, lol! My problem is that my youngest is a destroyer. He will rip, eat and destroy books, and if he sees them on a shelf, he just loves to mess them all up. I am eagerly looking forward to when he outgrows this phase so I can actually get some nice bookshelves. Right now I have stuff in some bookcases in a gated off room and books in boxes!
#12 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 PM

I've lost track, but at one point it was somewhere around 400 children's books and growing. Not to mention how many we've got out from the library at any one time. Plus the non-kid books. We've got bookshelves and baskets of books everywhere, and we love it.

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

#13 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Tons! We have bookshelves everywhere and need more(shelves and books!).

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#14 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 04:58 PM

I shudder to think of the actual number :
We also have about a dozen different book shelves-some short and 2 are 8ft tall and overflowing.
I think I do so well and get rid of a box but then I come home with another box....
I wouldn't change it though, I love books and my kids love books. Nothing better than hearing your kid say "just a minute, I'm just finishing my book"

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#15 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 05:07 PM

DH likes to read, I LOVE to read. My toddler loves to look at books too, and have me read to him. I think we have quite a few for him, for his age.... DH and I recently picked which ones to keep and which to sell on half.com so we've cleared room for the future.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#16 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 PM

I'd be embarrassed to count,and I am frequently purging! Books and plants are my thing. My kids love them too,so we have one big bookcase just for their books.
#17 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 PM

We have an embarrassing number of books. I buy myself at least a book a week (usually more), and I buy the kids I nanny for at least that many as well. (I actually went a little overboard last weekend, and spent $155 at Barnes and Noble, buying tons of books for myself and the kids.) I have several bookcases full of books - one for fiction, one for nonfiction, one for child development, nanny-related, homeschool, and curriculum books, one for cookbooks, and one for foreign language books. The kids have a completely full bookcase in their room, and a huge pile of books next to it, waiting for me to put together another bookcase, which will probably also be filled. We do get some books from the library, but since the kids speak/understand other languages that we can't find at the library here, we buy a lot of books when we travel, so we have them around.
#18 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let's see:

We have four five shelf tall bookcases in my office.
There are two four shelf tall ones in one of the playrooms.
Our homeschool bookshelf is five shelves tall.
There are still books we haven't unpacked yet in the basement.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#19 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 11:47 PM

I refuse to answer that question on grounds that it would incriminate me.

Let's just say lots.
#20 of 51 Old 03-28-2007, 11:48 PM

I've only got one floor-to-ceiling bookshelf because they are very expensive, but I think I've got six four-shelf bookcases in addition to that in the living room and the rest of the wall space is about 3-4 shelves high of milk-crate-and-board bookshelves. We have a two-shelf high board-and-brick bookcase in the hallway, dd has one storebought four-shelf bookcase and several milk crates full of books in her room and I have about 6 milk crates and ther bottom of my bedside table in my room.

This is after last year's recent purge, when i got rid of all the "little girl" books except for one American Girl, one Betsy-Tacy, one babysitter's club, etc. for the memories and to show my grandbabies someday.

I like ebooks because they take up less space so I don't have to give up any of my pre-exiasting books, but it's really not the same as curling up with a regular paper book.

We're also regular library patrons and have a long, long wish list on Amazon.
#21 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 12:29 AM

Our books are mostly in boxes (moving around a lot) and there are too many to count, but this thread reminded me of an amusing anecdote.

My father's friend is a librarian, and he came over one day in a total huff. He hands me this survey he was mailed:

Question: How many books do you have in your house?
A. None
B. One
C. Between one and five
D. More than five.

Those were the only options. I swear, there was smoke coming out of his ears. He had upwards of six thousand books in his small basement, all catalogued by dewey decimal and he culdn't believe the only thing he could say was "more than five"!
#22 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 01:52 AM

I'm a member of this awesome site called paperbackswap.com. We've been members for a couple of months and have already exchanged a ton of books in about 20 different states. It's really the coolest thing and it doesn't cost anything at this point to join. There are over a million titles to choose from between members.

I would try to explain the concept, but it would probably be best to just check out the above link. There is a video from a news story there as well. If you do join, please be sure to use my email as a referral so iI get a book credit (earthluvinmama@gmail.com). Thanks!

I hope I don't sound like an infomercial here ...I just really, really enjoy this exchange concept! Anyone else familiar?
#23 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 02:10 AM

I grew up in a huge reading family (my parents have floor-to-ceiling bookshelves in 3 rooms of the house!) and I try to share my love of reading with DD. We have WAYYY too many books, especially because at 15 months all she wants to do is rip the pages or eat them. She loves board books and cloth books for now, but I'm stocking up big time for future!

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#24 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 02:15 AM

I actually just sold a ton of them. My DS has 1 bookshelf in his room that is full. We have 2 that are full for homeschool books and 1 tall one for my books. I am going to have to get another shelf because my collection is starting to grow again.

My dream house has a library........someday maybe...someday

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#25 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 03:55 AM

Enough to justify buying readerware
#26 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 08:18 AM

A lot, really. My kids love books, especially my 11 y/o dd. We love book sales. We also use the library weekly and usually fill both cards. I have been weeding out lately, just giving away and donating what we haven't been using or really love.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#27 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 AM

I once counted them one day when I was incredibly bored and a post like this was posted on another site. I remember it was over 750 books. We're getting ready to move and I really need to get rid of some of them.
#28 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 AM

I've been collecting books since I was a child and I do have a ton (and just bought another big box of them when I was home last week---they have a great used book store). We use the library a lot too but I find that having books laying around stimulates my kids. Sometimes my five year old will pick up a random book and search for words he knows (simple words like "the"). He doesn't know he's scanning Wuthering Heights but it makes me . I try to purge from time to time but I'm not much of a decorator so I consider my books my own personal statement in the house. I know that I personally picked up Oliver Twist and read it when I was very young (7 or 8) because it was there on the shelf at my parent's house and I was bored one rainy afternoon.
#29 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 AM

Too many and at the same time never enough! I love books!
#30 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM

Gobs and gobs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page