April Unschoolers support - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 255 Old 04-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer View Post
My friend (mentioned above) hinted about us sheltering my children from that 'real world'. That has never been my intention. I do want my children to have certain values that I would be fighting against the tide with if they were in school. Our culture is really screwed up imnsho. I do not shelter my kids. I walk with them thru life talk about the values of our culture and allow them the choice to make their own mark. That is my intention anyway.

You know what it was like for me? (and can anyone else relate?) When I was in school, and in my family growing up, I really felt like I just wasnt like everyone else. I actually thought about things and wondered 'Why' and 'How' and was never ever allowed to explore. I guess I was a bit of a nusance to my family because I wanted to do things my way, or I asked questions, and couldnt just sit back and just accept what everyone told me. I made a nusance of myself by asking questions or arguing with the teacher or telling him that he really shoulndt treat us the way he was, or talk to us the way he was. Not only was it the adults tho, my 'peers' really didnt get me either. They just got on with their work and got good grades and... well that was it. I got good grades but it was because I could work the system. Not because I had learned anything.
re sheltering kids ~ My kids will participate in the WHOLE world, but in their own time, not a predescribed time line that "society" or a "school authority" or even "their peers" have decided. But, I do understand how people could attempt to say that to folks like us. It seems to be the common belief that school is representative of and preparing students for the "real world".....which we all know, is so amazingly false!!!! So, if we look at it that way....who is really "sheltering" their kids....

re the experience of school ~ Though I didn't challenge anyone really, I was also one who got great grades, but only because that is what I was supposed to do. I didn't invest much energy into truely learning, just "acing the test". One of the biggest hopes I have is that my kids will actually "remember" what they have learned, because they wanted to learn it, they invested their own time, energy and enthusiasm (sp?) into it, and learned it in a way that suited and influenced their life, not because it was the specified day/time to learn about that specific subject, or because they were going to be tested on it.
I feel like I wasted so much of my life with the time I spent in school.....and also with going off to college (I was raised in a family where that is just what you did, you graduated high school and the next yr was college, no questions asked). Had I really had experience with the "real world" and life, instead of "school life" I think I would have made a lot more of those years in college, or maybe even chosen not to go.....to *gasp* do something else!!
#62 of 255 Old 04-05-2007, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I have it easy with regards to having doubts. I went to many different types of school so I know how they are different and that there isn't a better option. I remember how little I was taught each day, how much of the time was just moving from room to room and settling down. I remember how poorly many of my teachers were able to explain things and how they couldn't even write a clear test question.

I did fine in school, socially and academically, so I don't worry that I'm just keeping ds out so as to not repeat my bad experiences. I think I should have gone to a trade school instead of college. I've seen that a college education is not particularly helpful. So many people have them but still can't DO anything. And, most importantly, it is so apparant that ds is learning and doing fine without school.

It's early years yet for us but I'm not worried about him not keeping up with his peers. It helps that he learns easily and I know that people who teach professionally aren't any better at teaching than me. They won't understand ds or how his mind works as well. I know I'm lucky in this regard. Some people don't have kids who think like they do and that would make it harder. It's like moving furniture with my brother. We just pick it up and go. When I move furniture with my dh (who thinks differently), I have to stop and talk about what we are going to do, make sure we understand each other, and we still have to stop and reassess the situation as we go.

But, like breastfeeding, I'm really homeschooling because it is easier!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#63 of 255 Old 04-05-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel like I wasted so much of my life with the time I spent in school.....and also with going off to college (I was raised in a family where that is just what you did, you graduated high school and the next yr was college, no questions asked). Had I really had experience with the "real world" and life, instead of "school life" I think I would have made a lot more of those years in college, or maybe even chosen not to go.....to *gasp* do something else!!
I feel this way too. I mean, I don't regret a minute of my life as I know it led me to where I am now, and my life is beautiful and I love it. But I wanted to give my children something else...something different. I wanted to give them FREEDOM........CHOICE.........ABUNDANCE. I was thinking about this even today. Part of what drew me to unschooling was that I didn't want to "school at home". I didn't want anything to do with school for my kids. I don't want them having to do certain things, on any kind of schedule, at any specific time. I don't want to create some kind of pseudo school environment inside the comforts of home. I truly wanted them to be free of those constraints and I wanted them to be able to pursue their own interests on their own timetables. I want them to begin to experience beauty, joy, and abundance immediately! Why wait for adulthood for that?

And what a trip it's been! 6 children with every conceivable interest & desire imaginable....I love seeing them grow and flourish!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#64 of 255 Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 PM

Hey everyone,

Can I hang out here? I'm not a committed unschooler or any kind of schooler really. But ds will be preschool age in sept and we are starting to get questions about his schooling. MIL seems to have accepted homeschooling, but my parents are still doubtfull, fortunatly most of my friends with small kids also homeschooled/unschooled. But so far unschooling is where I feel the most ocmfortable. KWIM?

Like Ali (hi!) I to am stuck in cold cold winnipeg. But with two little kids wehave to get out, so we spent some time at the Y this week and today ventured out to the playground for an hour. We startted our seedlings at my parents place last weekend and are eagerly waiting for them to sprout. My goal is to grow/can a little more of our own food every year. LAst year it was greens this year greens/tomatoes/salsa.

We also are creeping towards reading chapter books, really anything to move past the captain underpants books And DH is home tomoro so loking forward to a long weekend with family.
#65 of 255 Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 PM

schoolers always think that school is the "real world".

:
#66 of 255 Old 04-06-2007, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Can I hang out here?
Welcome anarchamama!

#67 of 255 Old 04-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
schoolers always think that school is the "real world".

:
That's something I've realized lately as I've started looking into homeschooling and specifically unschooling. School does seem like a huge part of the "real world" when we spend 13 or more years in school. I mean geez, after 17 years in school and I'm only 25, it's like I don't know anything but school. But after finish college it became clear to me pretty quickly that life is waaay different than school.

Now whenever people object to HS because of the social aspect, I think about how in school and college the social thing is SO different from life outside of school. It's easy to make and find friends when you sit in boring classes with them all day, or in college when you go to class, eat, and live with the same people all the time. But that doesn't really prepare you for the kind of social interaction that takes place when you aren't in a school environment any longer and it becomes much harder to find people you relate to and develop friendships with them.
#68 of 255 Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 PM

We had such a wonderful day. It was so lovely and sunny. We went to Good Friday service and it was boring for the kids so we went outside halfway thru to walk among the grave stones and see how old some of them were. My kids love doing that but I admit I get a bit freaked out when they walk on the graves (Im like that). We then went on to have a wonderful day at the park with a friend after church, having lunch with her and her dogs. We were out of the house from 10am till 830pm. Lovely day.
#69 of 255 Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 PM

When most of the people that I know think about the real world, it's cubicles and asking permission to use your vacation time. Not much different from school!

This week, we had our martial arts class, met with new and old homeschoolers, volunteered at the library, went to an informational session about the state Supreme Court at UCONN law school, went to the children's museum and had a rehersal for an abridged version of Macbeth.

I have a feeling my kids aren't going to have many cubicles in their future

Oh and by the way Hey there Erika! It has been ages since we have seen you. Hope to catch up with you somewhere soon

Off to play scrabble jr with the 2 yo dd.

Stacey

Stacey- WOHM and wife to Jesse- : Athena , Huckleberry : Fiona : Shillelagh : and Calliope
#70 of 255 Old 04-06-2007, 08:24 PM

Cubicles would be alright with me... if I chose the cubicle, when to be in it, how long to be in it, the reason I am in it, and how to decorate it.

It's warm here for early spring and Dd is outside reading, on the phone with her friend, and playing with the dog and cat. Ds is telling me how hot it is already. Dh is watching an old war movie before he needs to take off for work. We want to have a garage sale tomorrow but I have no idea if we're going to get those thunderstorms or not.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#71 of 255 Old 04-06-2007, 09:58 PM

Hey, another 'Peger here! Hi Heather! Nice to meet you. Hope you're enjoying the (by Winnipeg standards) glorious weather we're having today.

I'm really loving reading this thread. One of the big reasons I took ds out of school was so that he could get MORE experience of the real world, and real life, than he was getting in ps. It's really crazy for me to hear the "but what about the real world" comments. The further we get away from school, the less that any of it seems to have any relation whatsoever to real life.

I'm really happy that ds is now a teenager, and school is quickly becoming a non-issue for everyone around us. Very few kids his age (13) are still enjoying school, so no kid ever asks him why he's homeschooled, they just think he's lucky. He looks old enough to be out of school, so no one ever questions him about why he's not there. The idea of school just never seems to come up any more

Speaking of the real world, tho, we had a great day today. I've been working like crazy lately (I think I might have mentioned this once or twice ) so having the day off was great by itself. Ds actually woke up before I did, a feat in itself. I finally got up at 2, we lazed around for a few hours, then went out to the local cafe/bookstore where ds had coffee and a really yummy feta and olive sandwich, I had a raspberry italian soda with whipped cream, and we shared a peanut butter brownie. We picked out a bunch of books, I always go overboard when we go there, but found half a dozen books that are on the reading lists for the online book clubs I've been joining lately. Ds found a book on biplanes and triplanes, from a series that he already has a bunch of books in, and a copy of Half-Asleep in Frog Pyjamas, a novel I've been telling him about for a while, it's one of the few novels written in the second person, where the narrator addresses "you". It also happens to be set on Easter weekend, starting on Thursday, April 5 (written in 1994.) Ds is going to try to read it this weekend. He also decided he wants to try to get a job at the cafe, since he loves books and coffee. He worked at the grocery store next door to us for a while, liked making money but learned some very good lessons on just how boring pointless work can be, and really grew to appreciate the value of money.

Now we're back at home, watching a gorgeous sunset (I work inside an arena and almost never see the sun lately, so I'm basking in it now) and watching House, our favorite show, ds is simultaneously playing video games and we are planning on napping some more later on tonight

Oh, and Genifer, I totally get the not walking on graves thing, my mom (Irish Catholic immigrant) would FREAK if I walked on a grave, it's totally disrespectful there, and there's a big culture around grave yards, we would go for "picnics" with the grandparents, sitting on their graves and celebrating their birthdays, long after they'd died. Only a close relative is allowed to sit on a grave, and no one is allowed to stand. I still can't walk on a grave, it makes me feel like I've walked into someone's bedroom. It's their place, kwim?
#72 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
I still can't walk on a grave, it makes me feel like I've walked into someone's bedroom. It's their place, kwim?
Yeah, I dont know why Im like that actually. I never got it from my mom, who is 3rd generation american irish catholic, (she was the kind of catholic who sent her kids to catholic schools and went to church on easter, once on christmas and only when the priest gave her dirty looks when she picked us up from school, lol). I just find that I start thinking about all the dead bodies, or their bones in most all cases, under our feet and I do think its disrespectful. I dont know, I get these feelings and thoughts that just say 'Oh my goodness get off these graves, its so disrespectful!' I actually cannot stand going to a museum and seeing a mummy or watching those archeological programs when they dig up people's graves and look at all the stuff that are put in a, say viking, grave, for that person in his next life or something, Im thinking he really needs those . I really, really, really hate that!! I always say leave the dead alone for goodness sake!! I wonder what they did with the ice man they found. They did all sorts of tests on his dead body then what? I bet they didnt have any kind of respectful burial or anything like that. All this is way OT but thats unschooling, I guess nothing is ot really is it

I wanted to ask if there was anyone who pulled their kids out of school to unschool them. Or if anyone decided on unschooling after trying other 'methods'? I mentioned my kids were in school before for some years and now I find we are still in a place of deschooling after even a year. We are still learning what our interests are and we have many days where they say, Sophie especially, that they are bored. She is 7 and I wonder if she is they type of kid who likes to be told what to do, yk? My son almost never complains of being bored, he's 6 and wonderful. A true live wire and sometimes needs things to be his own way even when there are several other people to consider. He's always known what he wants and could never understand why he couldnt have the moon if he wanted it . My 7yo dd's were in school a bit longer and seem to sometimes need someone to suggest things for them to do. Sophie will get frustrated sometimes and say 'Im BORED!!' (In her gorgeous little british accent: ). I guess what Im asking is if there is anyone who, for whatever reason (school or otherwise) found that they didnt know their kids that well. That is where we are at at the moment. In any case, I guess Im just thinking 'out loud'. If I blogged this would be in my blog I guess. And again at any rate... Im just loving getting to know my kids again. Live sucked when they were in school!!
#73 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
We startted our seedlings at my parents place last weekend and are eagerly waiting for them to sprout. My goal is to grow/can a little more of our own food every year. LAst year it was greens this year greens/tomatoes/salsa.
I am desperately trying to get good at gardening. We have a tiny tiny space to grow things and live in an area where it would be absolutely pointless to get a glass greenhouse because the neighbourhood kids would just throw rocks/bricks at it:. I have a compost bin but have done something dreadfully wrong with my compost because it stinks, its too muddy and it just isnt the magical crumbly dirt I was promised Id have in the brochure: . I told the kids its our first year composting and next year we will know more about it and maybe even get it right. We are using it anyway mixed with store bought compost. I have decided to stop growing veg for the slugs now. I tried to grow some cukes and beans last year, and some salad leaves but the slugs got to them before I could. The other day I was trying to dry out my compost so I tipped it over and stirred it a bit while ds looked for worms, my girls rode their bikes as they cannot stand my compost bin. I was too tired at the end of the day to do anything more with my compost bin so I left it over night, then it rained: : and my attempts at drying it were futile. A neighbour, who is deaf, walked by , pointed at my rotting mess and shook his head as if to say 'Your so gross lady!' and walked away. I looked at my back yard and thought 'Oh well, it looks like we do alot of stuff in our garden' and sod what they neighbours say! lol.
#74 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I wanted to ask if there was anyone who pulled their kids out of school to unschool them. Or if anyone decided on unschooling after trying other 'methods'?
Yeah, but we only lasted 10 half days over the course of 6 weeks .

We had tried pre-k because k was full day and too big of a first step, I thought. Ds kept getting sick and being stresssed and anxious so I tried just going every other day so he would have an off day to catch up on sleep and eating.

I could still see some effects of the experience a year later but the first couple months were the worst.

My ds does get bored but that is because of his highly interactive nature. He wants someone to participate in almost everything he does. He loves to sit on my lap while playing computer games, even. He does very few things by himself. Every now and then, I happen upon him building a lego ship while dh is crashed on the couch. It is progress that his company doesn't always need to be conscious .

#75 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Everyone is having such a lovely time!

Well, after a week or more of warm weather, we're having a snowstorm today. The kids measured with a ruler & it appears it's about 5 inches so far. It's absolutely beautiful! Like a last pretty glimpse of winter.

I heard talk of playing bingo today, and maybe building a fire in the wood-burning stove. My 9 year old son loves to build fires.

#76 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
My 9 year old son loves to build fires.
As does my 5 yo. He can't get enough of them. I just wish he would be a little less interactive with them!

#77 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As does my 5 yo. He can't get enough of them. I just wish he would be a little less interactive with them!
I hear ya mama! Two years ago (my son was just 7) I found him outside with a roaring blaze going - he had used his magnifying glass & some dry grass! Had to have quite a few serious talks after that!

#78 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Well, we were without electricity, running water, phones and *gasp* the internet for over 2 1/2 days. Lots of learning experiences For instance, how much snow it takes to melt down into enough water to bathe with, and the multitude of meals you can create with beans, beans and more beans cooked over a propane heater

Though, being with each other without TV was kinda nice :

Now I just need to catch up on this thread...
#79 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 02:50 PM

I've only made it to page 3 but wanted to subscribe!

I am absolutely loving this thread!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#80 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 04:15 PM

We've been outside aaaaaaaaall week. It's been so nice. It rained last night though. My house is a mess because we've been neglecting it. So it's cleaning day. Then tonight, we're going to an easter-egg dyeing barbecue. Anyone have any favorite egg-dyeing tricks???
#81 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 05:38 PM

If you use a white crayon to draw on the egg before dying it the designs will show up afterward. It's pretty cool. Coffee, wine, and berries make nice colors.

We were going to do a garage sale today but it got windy and rainy so maybe next weekend? I have so much to get rid of! I need to clean up a bit today...some of Dh's fam is coming tomorrow.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#82 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 06:44 PM

We're a little wrapped up in Easter stuff right now, which is funny because we are in no way religious. My dd just likes to celebrate any holiday on the calendar LOL

We've dyed our eggs, decorated our egg tree and made cookies. We made brownies tonight (gotta have some chocolate!) and I'm letting dough rise right now to make English muffins for tomorrow's meal. We all talked about it last month and decided on our Easter brunch: eggs benedict on homemade English muffins with asparagus salad on the side, brownies with chocolate whipped cream and raspberries. For dinner, I'm making a shepherd's pie with leftover lamb shanks. Mmmmm

It's all about the food, baby! LOL
#83 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 06:46 PM

Oh we decorated eggs, or I should say my kids drank the vinegar we were going to use to decorate eggs . My son was decorating his tongue with the dye/vinegar mxtr. I dont know why they love vinegar. they are wierd.

Quote:
My house is a mess because we've been neglecting it. So it's cleaning day. Then tonight, we're going to an easter-egg dyeing barbecue. Anyone have any favorite egg-dyeing tricks???
My house is a mess because I never clean it. In fact I was cleaning the tops of my cupboards today (after about 3yrs without doing it ) and I said to my dh 'I hate hate hate housework!!!' He says 'Ya know, I love it, I just never find time to do it: '. as he sits down for another cup of tea and cig.
#84 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 PM

LOL I hate the smell of vinegar. I can't imagine drinking it.

Well, scratch my plans for the homemade English muffins. They were a complete disaster. I think I'll have to get up tomorrow early and make biscuits...or just not have any bread LOL Yeah...no bread sounds better than getting up early.
#85 of 255 Old 04-07-2007, 10:20 PM

The kids dyed eggs, mostly Dd. Then she decorated our old towel with the rest of the dye. It looks cool! I just hid all the eggs for her in the house and she's looking for them.

#86 of 255 Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 AM

Hi I haven't been keeping up--the last few days have been ultra busy with hikes, social events, community service, classes, sleepovers, family gatherings--where is this unsocialized, "do nothing" unschooled life I keep hearing about?

Our week of spring is over and winter has returned. It's freezing, literally, I hope our poor tulips, etc. make it! This is our first year with a compost bin and I'm a little nervous as the neighbors are VERY close. Once it gets warm I don't know what I'll do if it starts to stink.

Quote:
I wanted to ask if there was anyone who pulled their kids out of school to unschool them. Or if anyone decided on unschooling after trying other 'methods'?
I pulled my oldest out of 3rd grade and, not knowing anything about hsing, I figured I'd use text books and give him assignments . After a few days I we both bailed on that and "took a break" which led to deschooling, which led to unschooling.

Quote:
I guess what Im asking is if there is anyone who, for whatever reason (school or otherwise) found that they didnt know their kids that well. That is where we are at at the moment.
I don't think the "one month of deschooling for every year of school" advice covers it in the least. There are a lot of adjustments to be made. While I was close to my ds, I knew his schooled self and not the person he would become without school. HE didn't even know who that person was. On top of that, he needed to re-establish relationships with his siblings who were used to him not being around all day.

Sometimes he was bored and sometimes he wanted suggestions about what to do and of course, I'd throw around some ideas, but sometimes he just needed some time to figure it out for himself.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#87 of 255 Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 AM

Subbing as we will be home unschooling next year, we are school unschooling this year. I know sounds like an oxymoron but they attend a democratic school based on the sudbury valley model which really opened us up to unschooling at home.

We have done public schooling, waldorf schooling, k12 curriculum a pagan curriculum, back to public school, and then to the free school. So we have pretty much run the gambit on schooling ways. But seeing how our kids blossomed and matured by being able to guide themselves was the true kicker for us. I think had we not seen that (and I get to see it everyday as I "work" at the school) we wouldn't be so hard core convinced that unschooling at home is what fits all of our children.

Speaking of them we have 5. 3 boys ages 11, 10 & 6 and two girls ages 5 & 2. The boys have all experienced public school the girls most likely won't, unless they decided to take special classes at the ps when we move to WA, which I hear is a choice they can make and the schools love to have homeschoolers come in.
#88 of 255 Old 04-08-2007, 12:25 PM

We are dying spring eyes today, although it's actually cold here. The cold weather is quite unusual for this time of year and especially in the South where we live.
Anyway, last night we were talking about dying the eggs and my dd wanted know how many eggs we each could dye if we split the eggs equally between the 4 of us (little guy is too young to dye eggs) anyway she easily figured it out. She did division in her head, woot!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#89 of 255 Old 04-09-2007, 12:22 AM

We did eggs yesterday ok well dh and I did, dd wasn't really into it.
#90 of 255 Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 AM

Awesome thread! Subbing (and still reading ).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page