April Unschoolers support - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 255 Old 04-29-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today has been the most beautiful day! The kids have been in the sandbox for over an hour & when I went out to see what they were doing I found a wonderful thing. They had created an entire city in the sand...with sticks, plant stems, flower tops, rocks, & little things found all over. They built a river with a dam & the engineering of it was pretty neat. I couldn't even begin to list all of the categories of learning they probably visited.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#242 of 255 Old 04-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Today has been the most beautiful day! The kids have been in the sandbox for over an hour & when I went out to see what they were doing I found a wonderful thing. They had created an entire city in the sand...with sticks, plant stems, flower tops, rocks, & little things found all over. They built a river with a dam & the engineering of it was pretty neat. I couldn't even begin to list all of the categories of learning they probably visited.

Ds and his friends did the exact same thing yesterday! We couldn't even tear them away for dinner! And ds had a new invention: "Coca-mud"! Apparently it is coconut mud !
#243 of 255 Old 04-29-2007, 11:29 PM

Wow! It's great to see other unschooling mamas doing Byron Katie's inquiry Work! I love how compatible unschooling and The Work are. They're both big on T R U S T. Love it. I have actually had amazing discussion with Katie about unschooling and many of the unquestioned, common concepts about learning.

I don't remember which of you was talking about the upcoming book on The Work with children, but is it Jaya that you know?
#244 of 255 Old 04-30-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post
I don't remember which of you was talking about the upcoming book on The Work with children, but is it Jaya that you know?
Yes! She is so amazing Do you know her as well?
#245 of 255 Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have actually had amazing discussion with Katie about unschooling and many of the unquestioned, common concepts about learning.
Now that is a conversation I would have loved to be part of!

#246 of 255 Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ds and his friends did the exact same thing yesterday! We couldn't even tear them away for dinner! And ds had a new invention: "Coca-mud"! Apparently it is coconut mud !
So fun!!!

#247 of 255 Old 04-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer View Post
Whats up Candace?

I personally used to be very against tv/vid games etc. Imnot anymore. I see it as a case of tv being a source of relaxation and enjoyment at times. There are things I wont let my kids watch. For me its all about age appropriateness and our own personal values/faithwise. We never watch horror movies, Sexually explicit etc. To me those are not for young children. I think of tv, media etc being part of the world we live in and Im not down with the gang who likes to hide their children from the world and wrap them in cotton wool, bubble wrap. For me as a parent its about what and when they can handle subject matters. We approach tv/media in the same way we do everything. We talk about what values are being 'suggested' and how our values can be different in some ways. Sometimes we just sit together and laugh, enjoy time together in front of the tv/movies/playing vid games. My son loves video games. Dh's father used to hate for him to sitt in front of the tv, or playing vid games. Dh sees the value of our son sitting in front of the computer for hours at a time. Dh remembers enjoying it as a child and how his dad didnt understand (he's an unschooler at heart, I know it, even if he's in slight denial at times ) Its actually fun watching ds try to work things out, get so frustrated sometimes, in his own little world, banging the keyboard , frustrated almost to tears, shouting 'NOOOOOO!!!!'. So for us parents it can be quite entertaining. I see alot of value in tv/vid games etc. (ds is only 6,bless him ).
Thanks for the response. (Thanks also, Dayna. I watched your videos.) I've been having a hard time with this lately, because dd will sit for hours and watch tv. And if you interrupt her, she turns into a monster. I'm sort of at my wit's end. We talked about it last night and she said she noticed that since we got a tv (we didn't have one for about a year), she noticed that she watches shows that she doesn't even like, just so she can watch tv. She said she thinks maybe she'll just watch tv a few times a week, on the nights that there are shows on that she likes, and that maybe it would be good if she didn't watch it first thing after waking up. Yeah, she came up with that all on her own. This came after I told her last night that she could finish watching the show she was watching, and then I'd like her to brush her teeth and come to bed. We were all going to sleep, and I don't like her staying up after we've gone to sleep. Well, all this time went by, and we were reading in bed, waiting for her. I noticed that her show must be over, so I asked her, and she said it was still on. Well, she was lying! And so anyway, I was really irritated. I felt that I had been reasonable. I used to hate it as a kid when I was in the middle of a show and my mom would just switch off the tv and say bedtime. Anyway, so that's why we had the talk. Hopefully things will get better.

My beef with tv is really not the content, as much as the hours that it can suck you in for. I mean, I can sit for a whole hour watching Psychic Sylvia on Montel and not even stop to think, "Um, this is stupid."

Also, I don't like the way she acts when she's watched too much tv. She gets cranky and rude. She has said some pretty horrible things to me lately, and has developed an attitude-y tone of voice.

So, yeah, this is a constant battle in my mind. I want Tania to be free, but it's really hard to let go of this. I did notice that when I tried to switch to a more understanding tone and words, she opened up and started to think about things from my perspective a bit more. So, blech. I'm just in a weird place right now.
#248 of 255 Old 04-30-2007, 12:55 PM

--My beef with tv is really not the content, as much as the hours that it can suck you in for. I mean, I can sit for a whole hour watching Psychic Sylvia on Montel and not even stop to think, "Um, this is stupid." --

: I've found myself sitting through some judge show a couple of time...she looks at the screen and tells you, 'The American Dream? I *am* the American dream". Yet what I've found myself thinking is, "She has good hair for a judge, Who does her blow out?". I kep forgetting to leave the TV on through the credits looking for the hairstylist.
#249 of 255 Old 05-01-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
I've found myself sitting through some judge show a couple of time...she looks at the screen and tells you, 'The American Dream? I *am* the American dream". Yet what I've found myself thinking is, "She has good hair for a judge, Who does her blow out?". I keep forgetting to leave the TV on through the credits looking for the hairstylist.
See how TV can be used as a research tool? :

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#250 of 255 Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
See how TV can be used as a research tool? :
I think schools should replace social studies with The Simpsons. That show is brilliant I tell you.
#251 of 255 Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Dar

I probably should not tell you all how many seasons of America's Next Top Model we have watched... we just got cable, and some days they'll run the whole season, one show after the next. It is interesting, though... it's made me look at ad photos in a whole new way.

And South Park! There's some social commentary for ya! Last night they had a repeat of the one with homeschooled kids, and we were cracking up...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#252 of 255 Old 05-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Hey, I think it is May. Yep, I had to confirm it with dh and google. Does anybody really know what time it is, does anybody really care? (have you all heard that old song?)

Do we want to continue this thread or have a May Unschoolers Support thread?

Pat

I have a blog.
#253 of 255 Old 05-01-2007, 12:06 PM

God, South Park.

What brilliant mind pairs a gay devil with a gay Saddam? That's priceless.
#254 of 255 Old 05-01-2007, 02:10 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=1#post8003138

That there is a link to the new May thread.
#255 of 255 Old 05-01-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
And South Park! There's some social commentary for ya! Last night they had a repeat of the one with homeschooled kids, and we were cracking up...

dar

Oh wow! I didn't see that one! We LOVE south park. They'll go after anyone!!

We actually just moved from Taos NM, and the real south park Co is only about 3 hrs from us.....when we'd go to Denver it was on the way. They have these huge cut outs of the boys right in the middle of town!!!

One of my favorites is Mr Garrison's fabulous new vagina (thats the title that came up on my tivo for his sex change operation episode....and I remember thinking, well, vaginas are fabulous!!! ). He got his operation in Trinidad Co, again, we've passed through there, and they really do have a reputation for being a sex change mecca!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page