April Unschoolers support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK mamas. I'm giving this a try! Let's hope it's all suport! :

This weekend we've been playing outside all day long! I'm in Michigan and this week it's been very nice. I love it when the children choose to spend the entire day outside ~ I love seeing them free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We brought a first toad inside today for just a few minutes. We've got a little plastic toad house & the kids studied him & discussed him. I love it that my 2 year old can participate with all the children, rather than having them gone all day. Anyway, he's back outside amongst the grasses & mud where he belongs.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Howdy.

Don't you just love it when it gets warmer out and outside play is more comfortable! I love how it smells outside. Magical I tell ya...

Yay for toads. :

My kids are upstairs yet. I think Dd is up hiding from our little overnight guests (I'm babysitting lol) and Ds is asleep. My living room is covered in paper, scissors, and various art supplies. Cartoons are playing and I am consuming more coffee.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 04-01-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My living room is covered in paper, scissors, and various art supplies. Cartoons are playing and I am consuming more coffee.
Sounds just perfect!!! And more coffee is always a good thing.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Gonna say hi and try to keep up.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 PM

It's gorgeous weather here too. We went out twice today, just to walk around and do some little errands. We like to feed the pigeons

And my 8yr old dd has been pulling pranks on us all day long! LOL She loves April Fool's Day.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:26 PM

I just received a report (from dh, sadly I am at work and away from my kiddos) that the ds & dd enjoyed the mud from our April Shower -- they were completely naked and stomping in the mud (thank goodness they are young and still get away with it, I can't).

hmmm, maybe I'll leave the library and go splash in the plaza for a bit

We did get to do an egg hunt (or 3) before I went to work this am and I did get pranked quite a bit!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:27 PM

We spent the first day of April swimming at my parents and watching our new carpet being installed.

Right now, they are building a space station behind the couch with some empty boxes. They are pretending that the gravity is stronger so its really hard to walk. I wish the video camera worked!

Joyfully- Laura
radically unschooling 3 awesome kids
Old 04-01-2007, 10:51 PM

We spent the day at our friends' house for our monthly Messy Hands get together. Five families, all with kiddos around the same age, get together once a month at one family's house and do whatever needs doing. A couple parents watch all the kids, or the kids participate, depending on what's going on.

Today was a gardening day, so we built four raised beds and moved a lot of dirt around. DD got to help a lot this time and had a ton of fun shoveling dirt with the blade of a broken shovel and pushing around the kid-sized wheelbarrow. We found some worms and bugs and held them in our hands to watch them wiggle, talked about beneficial bugs and not-so-helpful garden pests, and then relocated the offenders and tucked the earthworms back in the garden beds.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We've had a nice day with a late start due to ds wanting to get up for a couple hours in the middle of the night. Fortunately, I tend to have insomnia and was ready to get up for a while myself.

I've been reupholstering a chair with intermitten help from ds. He has been playing computer games, alternatingly with me and dh. He has been enjoying having me work on my project in the same room as the computer because he likes having everyone all together. Right now, he is watching Star Trek with dh while wearing roller skates.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 04-02-2007, 01:38 AM

I'd get excited about the weather, it is supposed to be 90 this week, but my kid is still in Mistress of the Dark mode up all night and sleeping all day
Old 04-02-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I'd get excited about the weather, it is supposed to be 90 this week, but my kid is still in Mistress of the Dark mode up all night and sleeping all day
Good gravy 90 degrees! I forget where you are. Florida or out of the US?

My Ds does the sleeping all day thing right now. Well, not all day I guess. He was up by 1pm today. LOL

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 04-02-2007, 02:18 AM

This thread is a great idea
Yesterday, we had a crazy hail storm!! I documented some of it at my blog: hannahbearski.blogspot.com. Today we followed up with reports of street flooding, car damage, and parts of town completely unaffected by our "blizzard." Crazy!

~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 04-02-2007, 02:54 AM

We just got back from staying at my parents' vineyard farm. See my blog for photos, if you're interested. We liked it so much that we've decided to spend three months this summer working there. It is going to be so much fun! We've also been gardening and getting set up to raise chickens. At this very moment, my 8yo has every spice in the house out and is concocting...something... She made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies all by herself for the first time yesterday. I think she's trying to relive the thrill.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Dar

We've had a crazy-busy couple of weeks... our trip to California, where we stayed with our awesome-awesome unschooling bestest friends and stayed in a cottage at the beach and toured a chocolate factory (GOOD chocolate, too, and lots of free samples) and I got to thrift at cool thrift stores and mostly we just talked a lot... they are such great people.

We got home after midnight, so about 16 hours later my brother arrived for a visit - I hadn't seen him in almost 3 years. So, we hung and talked and walked the dog by the river and went gambling, and he and Rain went to the Natural History Museum together, and it was good... although he does not quite get our way of life, and he repeatedly noted that we had found a very "hippie" town to live in, even here in Kansas... which is true. And oh, he considers unschooling Rain to be "an experiment" and he is waiting until she's 18 to see the results... whatever. I tried to explain to him that we weren't really focused on that, whatever it means, and that the now was important, and the now is very good... but I don't think it worked.

So, yesterday he left and today I worked and tried to write a paper and got some stuff ready for the boys I tutor tomorrow, and Rain's friend came over and they watched a movie and then walked the dog in the woods near our house (and she got all muddy - the dog, not the girl) and then I went to study with a friend and they went to Rain's friend's dad's house for dinner, and then she came back and went to sleep... because neither of us has gotten much sleep lately.

Oh, the the weather here is gorgeous! In the seventies, green and warm and wonderful, and everything is growing! Rain planted some wildflowers and I planted some herbs, and we have a volunteer tulip that just came up and bloomed, even though the landlord said no one had planted tulips here for years...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 AM

Im so glad someone started this here thread. I need some unschooling support. I dont want to be a school at homer- I do not want to be a school at homer! My newest mantra. Its been hard deschooling myself tho. Its hard to just let go and trust that they will learn. I have twin girls at 7 (almost 8) and a son at 6.

My ds played football (or soccer) yesterday with church. I was surprised he enjoyed it so much. He was the youngest lad to go with a church group to a massive football pitch. My girls have been enjoying the sunshine, riding their bikes. We had finished the Little house series together just in time for the sunshine and they arent really interested in reading anything anymore, just little bits here and there. We planted some seeds and tried to sort out my mess of a compost heap. It stinks so no one will go near it but me: . Dh has been off work for a few days now just dossing about, enjoying his freetime with us. Its been a rather relaxing week actually. Usually it can get a bit stressful. Well it had been for a few weeks there. I think we're back into the groove tho. And hey, its been almost one year to the day that we took the kids out of school! Yay!!

gen
Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 AM

The weather is looking up here as well. The crocus are up and the daffodils and tulips and poking through the ground. We had some really great days last week and spent a lot of time outdoors--walking the dog, hiking, cleaning up the garden beds, setting up the composter (or "dirt maker" as my 7 y/o calls it) climbing trees, and generally just playing outside here and at the park.

My 16 y/o is thinking about becoming a carpenter and so we've been looking into apprenticeship programs for him. He's got to be 18 though to enter, which seems silly to me but I'm also kind of glad, for selfish reasons--I really enjoy having him around. He was showing me some stuff on YouTube this weekend--a young comedian that he and his friends thought was funny. I showed him one of MY fav comedians and we had a good time laughing together. I never hung out with my parents when I was 16--I love that he and I can do this. Other than that, he's busy with friends, archery, reading, WOW, and building things. We and several other family members have home improvement projects in the plans that he'll be working on.

My 12 y/o is still writing her book. She also just decided to re-read HP before the next book comes out. She LOVES going to HP websites and discussing what's going to happen next, as well as disecting past books and looking for discrepancies or clues. She'll be in a skating show in May that she's looking forward to. And she cooks. All. The. Time.

7 y/o has been playing with Legos, spending tons of time outside, he's taken up drumming (we got him one for his birthday) and he's excited about some projects we're planning, like making a bird bath and a squirrel feeder. And he's already on the look out for the ice cream man.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
He has been enjoying having me work on my project in the same room as the computer because he likes having everyone all together.
My dd, 8, is like this. We have one big great room with TV/gaming/lounging area, computer area with two desks pushed together so we can all three sit together, a dining area, and a little couch by the bookcases and stereo for reading and listening to music. I really like this set-up cuz we can all do our own thing but be together at the same time. We're moving soon and I'm sad to say, it's hard to find apartments like this with one big room I'll miss it!

Here: another great sunny day. Another walk in the air, feeding pigeons, buying veggies and fruit at the market, bumping into friends on the street, and DD got to go to the toy store and spend her monthly stipend. Also, we got our JList order in the mail today!!!! Happiness! I ordered some cards, kanji paper and a wipe-off kana practice board for us both and a DVD of Pokemon songs in Japanese with the kana at the bottom for us to learn Fun!

Also, DD spent some time this morning looking through a cookbook and picked out four new veggies to try. We bought them at the market and plan to make them for dinner (potatoes, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms, in case you're interested) along with a baked chicken.

Right now, we're listening to the Pokemon songs and DD is playing with what she bought and snacking on some cheddar and bread sticks. I'm resting my feet until I need to get up and finish the laundry. It's been a nice day and I hope it continues that way (It's 2:30pm now)
Old 04-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Joan, why not approach a carpenter directly and ask if your son can work as a laborer under him and learn a few tricks of the trade? He could find out for certain by age 18 whether he wants to go through with the apprenticeship program. My dh is actually in school for carpentry. We couldn't find any apprenticeship programs. But he loves what he is learning about. He started back up today and is taking Floor Framing, Roof Framing, and Wall Framing, so after this term, he'll know how to build a house!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:52 PM

I'll be back when I'm feeling more wordy. I just wanted to make sure I could find this again
Old 04-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Joan, have you checked at the local Home Depot or Lowe's Home Improvement stores? They have "Do It Yourself" classes here. You can learn about laying hardwood floors, installing fencing, laying brick paths, building outbuildings, pouring driveways, hanging sheet rock, etc. And I'd imagine that he could sign up with your "permission", or perhaps take the classes alongside one of his parents, or another adult friend. I'd just contact the class instructor directly and discuss his interest in learning. You might even find an apprentice mentor that way.

Another possibility is to check at a Senior Center. We have one here which works with students (mostly middle school) to create intergenerational connections for both parties. You might find someone who'd mentor that way. Also, check your local homeschooling groups, there may be a dad or grandfather who'd welcome an apprentice. Another possibility is check in your neighborhood for folks doing home improvement themselves. Many would LOVE an extra pair of hands!

There are woodworking clubs also, I imagine. But that might be more skilled than he is ready for. I agree with contacting some small business contractors about taking him under his wing too. Or check small local hardware stores, like ACE Hardware. They often have ole' timers who'd love to pass along their knowledge to an interested party.

We have community college classes that permit teens to take classes at 15 1/2, iirc. Or younger, with an adult registered to take the class with them. You might check at a local Farmer's Market too. Often men do wood working and sell bird houses, furniture, tables, etc. And they might be willing to 'introduce the tools of the trade', gleefully.

Oh, often you can get 'Do It Yourself' videos about home improvement too, and unschool building!
http://www.totalvid.com/Home-Improvement-Videos/1
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/
http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projectlist.htm
http://www.askthebuilder.com/

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM

This weekend was my first weekend off work in a looooong time, so ds and I were mostly sleeping, reading, doing desperately needed housework and sleeping some more. Ds is still sleeping now, wrapped in a cocoon of blankets and loudly announcing "NO" whenever I go in there He doesn't acknowledge morning until about 2 in the afternoon

I'm so jealous hearing about the beautiful weather everyone is getting, it's been snowing here for the last two days. Yesterday we went to my sister's for a family dinner with 2 of her daughters. Ds hung out with his 12yo cousin, while I wrote out some of my older neice's favorite recipes in a "healthy eating" notebook she asked me to start for her a few years ago. She talked a lot about what sort of things she wants to do in the next few years (she's 18), asked for my advice on student loans (don't!) and where to buy equipment to make jewelery.

After we got home, ds and I watched Hell Boy, and ds played online video games. After that we laid down together in my bed (something we don't do often since ds became a teenager, partially because he's not so cuddely anymore, but mostly because we just don't fit on my double bed together anymore, sigh, if ds keeps growing at this rate, I'm going to have to rent him a barn: He read the latest issue of Learning Through History, about the Byzantine Empire, and I read the book I just got through library holds, which happens to be Istanbul by Orhan Pamuk. We talked about the Byzantine and Ottoman empires and major battles from both the Christian and Muslim side of things (ds is a major military history buff, this is how most of our conversations go, ) Ds wants to read Istanbul when I'm done with it, won't take long, it's a facinating book.

Ds is now bellowing "FOOOOOOOOOD" from his cocoon bed. I have to go laugh at him, then drag him out of bed

Great thread, I look forward to seeing what everyone is doing this month.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alima View Post
He doesn't acknowledge morning until about 2 in the afternoon

After we got home, ds and I watched Hell Boy, and ds played online video games. After that we laid down together in my bed (something we don't do often since ds became a teenager, partially because he's not so cuddely anymore, but mostly because we just don't fit on my double bed together anymore, sigh, if ds keeps growing at this rate, I'm going to have to rent him a barn

Ds is now bellowing "FOOOOOOOOOD" from his cocoon bed. I have to go laugh at him, then drag him out of bed

Oh this all sounds so very very familiar! Video games, Hell Boy, sleeping (morning? We don't need no stinkin morning...) reading, and food.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'm loving this thread! Before I started it I was starting to believe that I was one of only a small handful of unschoolers lurking on the homeschooling forum. I feel pretty alone there. And I even wondered if anyone would respond to an unschooling support thread! I'm so happy to see everyone coming out of the woodwork!

Quote:
I never hung out with my parents when I was 16--I love that he and I can do this.
You know Joan, I think hanging out with my teenager is one of the most beautiful benefits of unschooling. Last night we watched Marie Antoinette together & I just cherish these moments.

Quote:
Oh this all sounds so very very familiar! Video games, Hell Boy, sleeping (morning? We don't need no stinkin morning...) reading, and food.
: So true.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
You know Joan, I think hanging out with my teenager is one of the most beautiful benefits of unschooling. Last night we watched Marie Antoinette together & I just cherish these moments.
Rain loved that movie - we saw it at the dollar theatre and happened to have found a magazine with a story about the movie and the real Marie right before we saw it - I think it was Smithsonian magazine? Something? Anyway, it was interesting to compare...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 PM

:

Stephen (16) has decided be wants to take the GED next year, so he's planning out what he needs to get there. He's currently reading The Teenage Liberation Handbook and LOVING it!

Hannah (12) is having a harder time. She does need some kind of structure, she's even said that. But when I try to involve her in creating that structure, she wilts

I ask her what she would like to learn about. She doesn't know. I ask her what her goals are. She says she's not good at making goals. "Of course you are. You do things all the time that you set your mind to do." Yeah, she'll say, things that don't have to do with school.

(me, internally: )

externally: "But school is life. There doesn't need to be a difference."

We need to deschool more, I realize that. Her brain is so wrapped around this idea of a delineation between school and everything else that we're getting nowhere. Part of it is the influence of her institutionally schooled peer-group Part of it is her fear that she can't learn on her own (of course she does, but to her mind that's not "school")

She's an incredibly intelligent, creative and, yes, driven person. I know she has it in her. But I fear that she's become too passive and molded to the "let's be force-fed information" model.

What we really, really, really need is to find hands-on activities that would interest a young teen :
Old 04-02-2007, 10:34 PM

May I join you ladies?? :

It has been so refreshing to read just the few posts in this thread!

Everyone seems so relaxed... and just so natural. I miss that. DH and I are going through some stressful stuff with our finances. Basically the lack there of : and figuring out where the heck we want to be and what the heck we want to do. I guess it is sort of our own deschooling that is conflicting with unschooling the kids. It's been so hard to just let the kids be. I keep thinking if they don't get themselves involved in something besides playing, they will end up like us. Broke and unsatisfied. :

Now, we completely love our family and are desperately trying to soak up every moment because it will be gone in a flash. My oldest is on the verge of officially becoming a woman while I have the smooshiest, happiest, lovliest 5 month old.

It's amazing for me to see all of them as siblings throughout the day. I can't imagine what they will be like as adults, having spent all this time with each other growing up instead of being away at school all day.

Stacey

Stacey- WOHM and wife to Jesse- : Athena , Huckleberry : Fiona : Shillelagh : and Calliope
Old 04-02-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper View Post

What we really, really, really need is to find hands-on activities that would interest a young teen :

Have you checked out the Unschooling Resources yahoogroup? It seems to be oriented toward helping folks enrich their passions. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unscho...guid=287472904

Or the Imagination Tribe which helps to discover one's creativity. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/imagin...guid=287472904

As far as I know, these are welcoming of children and adults seeking support and FUN. I've heard about both and have just joined both myself.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper View Post

I found The Watcher through another list this morning, ds is really interested in writing for this, and ds HATES to write, so if he's finding it interesting, it's gotta be pretty appealing

http://www.readthewatcher.org/

I don't think I can suggest anything else from what my ds likes, unless your dd has developed an overwhelming interest in tanks, anti-aircraft guns, submarines or ancient Greek military tactics
Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alima View Post
I don't think I can suggest anything else from what my ds likes, unless your dd has developed an overwhelming interest in tanks, anti-aircraft guns, submarines or ancient Greek military tactics
Not so much

Thank you both for those links, they're very helpful!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:01 AM

Thanks everyone, for the carpentry ideas--ds actually has a Home Depot clinic on the calendar for later this month. He's been asked to help build a retaining wall, which he's never done, so we'll see how this clinic goes and then maybe there will be something carpentry-related in the future.

The community college here doesn't offer anything he's interested in, but it's okay because he's just not interested in college at this point.

He's done a bunch of work with his grandfather, who was a contractor and other relatives have asked for his help on projects, plus, there are endless home improvement projects here, so I figure he'll have 2 more years of that, and he enjoys it.

domesticzookeeper, what kinds of things does your dd like to do? Does she like to read...is she artistic...does she like computers...give us some hints.

And I'm another one who can relate to the night-owl thing. When I saw that breakfast at the L&L conference was at 8:00, my first thougt was, "I wonder if the kids can stay up that late?" ('cause they sure aren't getting UP in time for an 8:00 breakfast!! )

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

User Tag List