Do homeshcooled kids go to college? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i mean, don´t you need grades and stuff like that? i´m not aggainst homeschooling, please don´t misunderstand me, i´m just curious how this is? when they hit "high school" time? and beyond? thanks!
#2 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 AM

I'm not a homeschooler - but I may be when dd is older.

My understanding is that most colleges will accept homeschooled kids, as long as there is some placement testing done - some evidence of their academic ability.

I know I've read a few articles about homeschooled and unschooled kids getting into college - even into Ivy League schools. So it does happen, and it's going to happen more and more as homeschooled kids of the past decade grow up.
#3 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 AM

#4 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
My understanding is that most colleges will accept homeschooled kids, as long as there is some placement testing done - some evidence of their academic ability.
No placement testing needed in my daughter's case. Every school is different.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#5 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Yes, they go to college. We are planning for both of our kids to be home/unschooled, and for both to go to college.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#6 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM

I had some sitting right next to me at mine! They were all academically gifted (they were from the same family). I went to a smaller private university. While they weren't hanging with the "cool" athletes or greeks, they seemed very comfortable with themselves, which I now see and appreciate.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#7 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 01:44 PM

I actually pulled my DS out of public school specifically so he will go to college. He was SO disenchanted with school that I honestly felt that if it continued he would be ready to drop out at 16 (he was 10 when we pulled him out).

There are so many differences between public school and college that I wish I had known when I tried a hundred ways to get kicked out of school as a kid. I definitely think that college is a lot more like homeschool than like public school, the way we learn anyways.

As for the technicalities, there are more requirements where I am, as far as crediting classes etc for a regular high school diploma, but its definitely doable. I'm sure my DS will be ready to take SATs and ACTs and CPTs when the time comes. I am more confident of that since its my job to make sure that he IS ready for them.
#8 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 02:38 PM

Yes we do! I was homeschooled from the middle of 6th grade until graduation and then went on to college to become, of all things, a teacher! I am now a homeschool mother myself. Every college and university has different criteria for entrance from homeschoolers. My mother kept transcripts and we did SAT's yearly and she gave these to admissions. I also took ACT's and scored well and was able to test out of English and Math.
#9 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 02:46 PM

I teach at a small, private, highly selective liberal arts college. There is a homeschooled student who sits in the front row of the class that just ended. She's one of the best writers in the class.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM

in homeschool and his local community college. When his age mates were getting their high school diploma he got his AA degree! Tuition was free too since he was dually enrolled. Now he is going to the University of Florida.
#11 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 02:54 PM

I was homeschooled through middle school and I went to college. I know that doesn't speak to the issue of grades and such, since I did have them from high school. However, my interviewer at one of my college interviews was homeschooled (strange coincidence). This was at Brown, and she was an alum from there.
#12 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Some do and some don't same as kids who are public schooled. I was homeschooled and started college at 14, went full time at 17.
#13 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Some do and some don't same as kids who are public schooled.
Yep. I was homeschooled and graduated with my BFA, my sister has not gone yet, my brother did dual enrollment with the local community college and is now working to earn some money before going to a traditional four-year university. We all took the normal end-of-highschool tests (SAT, ACT) and I also took my GED. I was largely unschooled (per my choice) and so when it came time to figure out "grades" and transcripts, we took the records we had kept over the years and gave me grades. Thus creating a transcript to hand to my university. We only kept records because the state we lived in required them (though never asked for proof of them) but it did prove helpful as a memory jogger when university time came around.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#14 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Some do and some don't same as kids who are public schooled. I was homeschooled and started college at 14, went full time at 17.
: I started college right after my 15th birthday. 4 mos before my 19th birthday I graduated with an AA and AGS and Certificate in Data Entry (so I could earn some money to go on to get my BA - which I never did). I have 2 homeschooled brothers that haven't gone and most likely won't go and another (hes 14) who will start in the fall.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#15 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 PM

Um, yes. I've even heard of colleges that seek out homeschooled kids because they are good students.

I graduated with my two year associates degree two weeks before high school graduation.

In my state, homeschoolers can enroll in public school, and then attend a community college during 11th and 12th grade...paid in full by the state. The credits count toward both the high school diploma and the college degree..double whammy bonus! As pp have said, lots of hs do that.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#16 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:45 PM

you can start CC in my state at age 15.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#17 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 PM

Homeschooling for Excellence is a book you should read. It's about a family that homeschooled their children and 3 of them went to Harvard.

Jenn
#18 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 PM

naw they all get jobs at the local car wash

sorry couldn't help myself.
#19 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 PM

I can't remember where I read it : but I have read that the average homeschooled child is taking community college classes at age 15.
#20 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

this is great to read! thank you all so much! thisi is something ivé talked about with my hubby who thinks i´m completelly out of my mind...but i´ll hang on and see how it goes until he gives in!

i live in spain so i don´t know how it is here, but it´s great to know it´s like this in the us. thanks!
#21 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 04:39 PM

I did, but don't feel like I really got anything out of it (partly the school's fault, partly mine ) and will not require/reccomend that my children do.
#22 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM

What about foriegn launguage requirements? Do some homeschoolers just take these in CC? I can't imagine trying to teach my dd French! Most universities required two or more years when I was applying. Or do they waive these requirements for homeschoolers?
#23 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 PM

My children are all home educated and both of my oldest are in college now, one graduates in May and the other is finishing his first year. Neither one had any problems getting into their 1st choice school (both were accepted everywhere they applied, 1st was actually offered scholarships at some he didn't apply to). I honestly feel that we had an easier time getting our sons in college than some of my friends whose children went to public school.

Both also had foreign language - spanish- which they primarily took via a video school, but I also took them to a private spanish class once per week for about 3 years where a lady from Mexico worked with them. They both also worked at a fast food restaurant where many of the cooks spoke spanish so this helped them develop their language skills. Unfortunately they are both losing it because they don't use it. Oldest has been taking Japanese in college and has done quite well in it and converses with some friends that were missionaries in Japan for 20 years.
Dawn
#24 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 PM

We homeschool and are planning to encourage Luke to enroll in college at age 16. He is almost 12 now.
#25 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 PM

Here's a whole page of links to interesting articles and web pages having to do with this question:
Teen Years, Homeschooling High School, College & Career Information

My son got into his first choice of colleges, and many of homeschool grads I know of are in or graduated from good colleges. Lillian
#26 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyfeet View Post
What about foriegn launguage requirements? Do some homeschoolers just take these in CC? I can't imagine trying to teach my dd French! Most universities required two or more years when I was applying. Or do they waive these requirements for homeschoolers?
I am planning on using a combination of Rosetta Stone and a local class.
#27 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Mine didn't need a placement test. His SAT scores, plus grades from community college classes were well accepted. It all varies a lot from college to college. He also didn't need any language studies at all! And keep in mind that languages studied at a community college generally count one semester of language study the same as a year of high school language study. I wouldn't start worrying about any of that until the time draws a lot closer.

The thing is to wait till the time is reasonably close - like when they're in their early teens - and start researching various ones then. Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page