Math U see - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-17-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey everybody,
Another question for those of you who use math u see. I was homeschooled through abeka. My mother didn't know any better so she used the videos... I HATED IT! So far math u see looks really good but on the webpage it says you have you use the dvd. Is it possible to use this curriculum. But for the parents to watch the dvd then teach the child? Also why is it so important to teach a child to count starting with 0?
#2 of 5 Old 04-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Is it possible to use this curriculum. But for the parents to watch the dvd then teach the child?
That is actualy the main idea of the dvd's. But most kids watch it to.

Quote:
Also why is it so important to teach a child to count starting with 0?
It teaches counting from 0-9 because 0 is the number you should start on. A number which often gets overlooked, but apparantly that is the corect way.
In my manual it has a small chart showing rows of numbers like this-
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Hopfuly that came out straight. When you get to 10 you have jumped up to the tens place (to do with place value) so it rightly belongs on the second line not with the units (0-9) Hope that made sense!
#3 of 5 Old 04-18-2007, 10:50 AM

I just went to a MUS workshop this weekend (If you can get to one, it is very informative) and he said the DVDs are designed for the parents to watch and then teach the kids but alot of kids really like to watch them too. Honestly, I have been teaching for 2 years without the DVDs but I am going to try really hard to be good and watch them!!!!!

As far as zero goes....it has to do with place value. EVERYTHING in MUS relates back to place value.
#4 of 5 Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Yeah, the videos are actually for the teacher not the student but most people have their kids watch them anyway. My kids love watching the videos. And 0-9 is actually correct for counting in a base 10 system like ours due to place value.
#5 of 5 Old 04-18-2007, 12:54 PM

My son actually likes the videos- he thinks Mr. D is a "nice guy." LOL This is a kid who usually isn't a video kind of guy.

The video lessons are short- maybe 10 mins or so. But you can certainly watch them yourself and then teach.

Good luck!

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page