weird things you have heard as homeschoolers - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 139 Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhemina View Post
My dc are so confused when people ask, "Does your mom let you have recess?" or "Does your mom give you homework?"
When the schooled kids in the neighbourhood recently had Spring Break they kept asking me if I "let" ds have Spring Break too! I wanted to say his whole life is a Spring Break!
#62 of 139 Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 PM

How's this/
#63 of 139 Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have had 3 people over the years say to my children: " So...let's get you back/into school." Did I ask for their opinion? and even if they felt compelled to give it should they really bring an 8 year old into it? No...

Imagine their reaction if I said to their children "Lets get you out of school next year" (quite frankly many kids would probably agree and then the parents would be really ticked )

kathy
#64 of 139 Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM

Oh, my personal favorite has been a comment from a VERY politically liberal person: "But by taking your children out of the public school system you're letting down public school."

Um, no. Public school let us down.
#65 of 139 Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 PM

And FTR, private school has let us down too! LOL
#66 of 139 Old 04-24-2007, 10:32 PM

Here is one:

"How are *you* going to school them??"

"Mom," I say, "what do you mean?"

She says, "well *you* dont know everything....."

Geez....that for that confidence builder!!
#67 of 139 Old 04-24-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3esmom View Post
Here is one:

"How are *you* going to school them??"

"Mom," I say, "what do you mean?"

She says, "well *you* dont know everything....."

Geez....that for that confidence builder!!
Your mom and my mom must be talking to each other. That totally sounds like something my mom would say. I would probably say something like, "Well, if I need to know something I will be sure to call you since *you* seem to know everything." :
#68 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Doesn't the woman know any teachers? Like THEY know everything? Oy.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#69 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 04:21 AM

A friend of mine once said, more or less, "I'm so impressed that you're confident enough to think you can teach all the necessary subjects." My snark-o-meter hit the redline and I muttered something about being pretty good at math and science for someone with an English degree. She went on, "I mean, maybe up to second grade, but after that---?" at which point, mercifully, the conversation was interrupted.

I totally believe you don't have to have a Ph.D. (or even a B.A.) to teach your children--but I actually do. Moreover, I see everyday in my classroom well-intentioned but not especially intelligent students wanting to be education majors (there are exceptions, of course; I speak of the rule). The thing that boggles my mind is that this friend does too. I'm trying to figure out how fabulous her PS elementary experience must have been for her to feel that I couldn't get my son through third grade.
#70 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 06:28 AM

The most hurtful thing I hear is that I'm making my child weird. I just can't even respond to that one. But it is the one I hear most often. I think adults call kids "weird" when actually they are just not accustomed to seeing a child interact with them and unashamedly be her/his own person. This is weird? Well, I'll take it!
#71 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggies View Post
A friend of mine once said, more or less, "I'm so impressed that you're confident enough to think you can teach all the necessary subjects." My snark-o-meter hit the redline and I muttered something about being pretty good at math and science for someone with an English degree. She went on, "I mean, maybe up to second grade, but after that---?" at which point, mercifully, the conversation was interrupted.

I totally believe you don't have to have a Ph.D. (or even a B.A.) to teach your children--but I actually do. Moreover, I see everyday in my classroom well-intentioned but not especially intelligent students wanting to be education majors (there are exceptions, of course; I speak of the rule). The thing that boggles my mind is that this friend does too. I'm trying to figure out how fabulous her PS elementary experience must have been for her to feel that I couldn't get my son through third grade.
The thing is, and I'm speaking as a teacher here too, the vast majority of teachers are ones who majored in education, a college major routinely attracting students who score in the dead-bottom third of the SATs -- obviously not a perfect indicator, but a telling one, and a standard against which other students can be measured. In my own experience, and this is obviously not all-encompassing, the vast majority of elementary-school teachers are really not particularly well-educated in core subjects. OBVIOUSLY there are exceptions, but you don't need to go very far to find parents kvetching about yet another classroom newsletter from their child's ES teacher containing seventeen "typos" -- "typos" that apparently include trouble with subject-verb agreement and shaky command of they're, their, and there.

Again, obviously there are exceptions to the rule. However, the rule is a rule for a reason -- for a host of reasons, actually. Maybe I'm completely full of it (and not for the first time), but one big reason we're homeschooling is we thought we could do better than the public schools. So far, so good. We'll see later; maybe that will change my mind.
#72 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 12:43 PM

great thread

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#73 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 02:23 PM

Meg Murry, I totally know where you are coming from. I have many friends and family who are educators and my understanding is that the bulk of their teacher training was classroom management -- more to do with lesson planning and the logistics of teaching 20 kids than actual core knowledge of subjects (*how* to teach vs. *what* to teach).
#74 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
Doesn't the woman know any teachers? Like THEY know everything? Oy.
SO TRUE!! I distinctly remember, in 8th grade, reading the teacher's guide, teaching the TEACHER how to do our math, then him trying to teach the other kids, w/o success, and those kids coming to my desk during study time so I could teach them how to do it. . . yup, pretty sure I can do that for my kids now, if I could do it at age 13!!!
#75 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LOL, so I'm not the only person who found themselves taking over a math class from the teacher? In my case it was Algebra I in high school. I was ahead because I had Math Blaster Algebra program on my computer at home. The teacher knew algebra all right but couldn't maintain order in the classroom or explain things so that the students could understand.

My best childhood friend was an elementary ed major up until her junior year of college when it dawned on her how dumb the program was. She switched to English, in which she went on for a Master's.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#76 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
The most hurtful thing I hear is that I'm making my child weird. I just can't even respond to that one. But it is the one I hear most often. I think adults call kids "weird" when actually they are just not accustomed to seeing a child interact with them and unashamedly be her/his own person. This is weird? Well, I'll take it!
My response to this one is "Definitely, I want him to be unique, just like everyone else!"

By the time they have wrapped there mind around that one I have moved on to another subject! (I am pretty sure I have mentioned this before, but I am a Smart Aleck. : )
#77 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 PM

After hearing that we homeschool (I didn't even mention the fact that we unschool), one person responded with, "Wow! You must REALLY like your kids!" :

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#78 of 139 Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheime View Post
After hearing that we homeschool (I didn't even mention the fact that we unschool), one person responded with, "Wow! You must REALLY like your kids!" :
OH this reminds me, my husband's managers wife asked me last month if I ever was able to get up there to have lunch with him during the week without the kids. I replied that I am with the little ones all the time, i'm homeschooling my six year old, and if we go have lunch it's "lunch with daddy" and she said "so you are with them ALL the time?!" uhm. yeah, all day anyway. I was so surprised at her shock about my children being with me all the time.
#79 of 139 Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheime View Post
I'm sorry..this thread is full of goodies, but this one killed me!!

How would you respond?

"um..no...not really....actually, I detest them, but the government says I can't just leave them on a streetcorner somewhere.."

Okay...a very tired, newly preggo mama stumbling to bed, laughing her butt off.

CPST
#80 of 139 Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 AM

I have been talking about homeschooling for YEARS. Y.E.A.R.S. My sons 4th birthday party was last month, and my sister saw a flyer for the WI homeschool conference on my fridge. She said, so you are still doing that? Yes. That plus school, or instead of school? Um, homeschooling. So just this year then, or will he go to Kindergarden. Um, homeschooling. So, what, you won't do it all the way through high school, right? Um, if it works for us, we will continue.

Then came the comments about how my son will be a dorky book worm, won't have any friends, what about that competition in class to get good grades, or what about sports, and of course, socialization and how is he going to get into college.

Aaaak. I literally got a twitch in my eye. Whew!

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#81 of 139 Old 04-26-2007, 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=reeseccup;7919674][QUOTE=mom2ponygirl;7919634]The worst I've ever heard was from a teacher. She said that she couldn't imagine anyone homeschooling. If she had to stay cooped up at home with her kids all day she would end up killing them like that lady in Texas did. She said this in front of her 12 year old daughter. QUOTE]

I have to chime in. My daughter is only 2 but we plan on homeschooling. Our neighbor is a 2nd grade teacher and just had her 2nd child whom she wanted to find childcare for at 6 weeks (I am a nanny). She made the comment "I just miss my kids (the PS kids) so much. It is hard to be gone for too long." Aye. Aye. Aye. I decided it was a definite no go after that comment.
#82 of 139 Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 AM

When I first discussed hsing with my mom, she made a similar comment about being with the kids all day driving me crazy and said "you can love your children and hate being with them." Gee, thanks Mom...
#83 of 139 Old 04-26-2007, 11:47 PM

I have mostly recieved nice comments and questions. Some from other parents/grandparents because they are intrested in homeschooling their children.

I got the "What about prom?" question. A sophmore public hs student asked me home my kids would be able to take Home Ec.: hmmm...Don't know how that would be accomplished at HOME. lol

One man told me he would never hire my children to work for him because they were homeschooled. I told him I hoped that my children would chose an employer that would look at them as the people they are not what they are on paper. He really wasn't worth the effort, he didn't even know that Texas A&M was a college.
#84 of 139 Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7kiddosmom View Post
he didn't even know that Texas A&M was a college.

That's blasphemy!!!!
Gig 'em Ags
#85 of 139 Old 04-27-2007, 10:11 AM

I'm in a very conservative area so I get a lot of backhanded compliments like, "That's wonderful! The way that God has been taken out of schools by the liberals, I don't blame you."

No offense meant, of course, to anyone who is Christian. I'm simply openly not Christian and I'm pretty openly liberal.

I also get people--MIL did this last week--who go on and on about how sweet my kids are, how smart, how kind, then she'll say, "I just worry about the socialization." : The worst thing is that I'm always mentioning the activities the kids do; it just doesn't 'count' as socialization, I guess, if it's not packaged that way.

"You send them to school for high school, won't you?"

A last straw with an uncle of mine came when he asked my brother, "Why is she (me) doing that to those kids?" My brother went off on him.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#86 of 139 Old 04-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninevp922 View Post
"How is he going to be able to get a job? He won't be used to being on a schedule and doing what's expected of him."
He's 5.
Oh, that too. Or, "Someday he'll have to work with a boss and not have Mommy around to help him."

Which, besides being condescending and rude, is a stupid point anyway. Someday he'll have a driver's license--should I start teaching him how to drive now? Someday he'll likely have a mortgage--should I charge him rent? Someday he might work in a cubicle farm--should I buy felt-covered walls and build him one to get him used to it?

Ridiculous.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#87 of 139 Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 AM

I'm sorry to serial post. I'm obviously all fired up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear View Post
"Oh so-and-so's class hatched chicks, how can he miss out on that?"
We live on a homestead so I *love* when people say stuff like that. Then I can pull out the, "Yesterday my kids helped shear a sheep." So there.

Quote:
And my all-time favourite: "I want my kids exposed to people from other cultures." This from a friend who's kids live in an upper middle class, primarily caucasian neighborhood. (Not to mention the passive racism and classism I hear in comments like that.) Ds goes to Chinatown, has a friend who's grandfather does work in Malawi, and has a Buddhist grandmother, not to mention all the people we meet in our city on a daily basis. Respect and interest in other people and places just doesn't seem to be fostered in school. It seems that at a young age kids are colour-blind, then as they get older cliques form, and the divisions start. I may be rambling . . . just thinking as I type.
ITA. I've heard that one as well and it's maddening. The local school here is tiny, K-12 in one building, and is 99.5% white. Diversity? Hardly. Of course, I'm enough of a snob that I'll say something like, "Well, they see different kinds of people at my belly dancing class, at Arabic playgroup..." et cetera, places where people of different ethnicities are far more likely to be than Dinkytown School, USA.

#88 of 139 Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 AM

When I informed DD's teacher and principal during a conference that I was withdrawing her to begin homeschooling, the principal warned me.

" You may think it will be easy to teach now, when its all about learning the simple things like numbers and reading, but have you thought about when she reaches high school and has to learn chemistry. I bet you couldn't teach her that. I know that I could not teach that."

I was appalled. I told her we would be fine. I started out college studying microbiology- I really do not see this particular problem coming up. I mean, if I do not know something that DD wants to learn about, can I not learn about it with her. : I can read too you know and I am not afraid of admitting when I so not know the answer to something. We look it up together. Not that hard.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#89 of 139 Old 04-27-2007, 11:11 AM

most of my family avoid the topic...they are hoping i will change my mind!:
#90 of 139 Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 AM

my family wil not bring it up, they are hoping i will change my mind:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page