How long does a Math U See level last your children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-28-2007, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering.

My son has almost finished the primer level. I went into it knowing it was just an intro. I didn't mind and wanted him to learn how to sit down and get used to math.

I wonder how long Alpha will take him? (Ok, I know it depends but I'm looking for ideas)
#2 of 7 Old 04-28-2007, 03:14 PM

We do one unit a week and take every 4th week off so it lasts us 38 weeks, which is about the length of a typical PS year. I think it is designed to be one unit per grade. Primer being K, Alpha first, etc.
#3 of 7 Old 04-28-2007, 06:10 PM

Except I have been told as you get into higher books each book has material that would be considered in a ps to be at varying grade levels. So while in ps a kid may be in 4th grade, in MUS he may be doing work considered to be 2-6th grade. So you can't think of those book levels as grades. It may take a year but then again it may take only 6 months or even 2 years to complete.
#4 of 7 Old 04-28-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

OK thanks that helps.

He did the primer from Jan til this week. He will finish it.

Sometimes he really likes it and does several pages, sometimes he only does a page or two. I wasn't sure how long it was really supposed to be
#5 of 7 Old 04-29-2007, 12:31 AM

DS2 did Primer in about 4 months also. Alpha we are right on target with one unit a week. DS1 Has done Alpha and Beta and is doing one unit a week also. Sometimes he finishes the unit early but we still don't start the next unit until Monday!
#6 of 7 Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 AM

I actually have paid no attention to how long it takes so I'm not real sure. My dd has gone through Primer and is into Alpha and that's been within the last several months. My ds did Alpha and is now into Beta and looks like he will be fininshing Beta by the end of this school year but I can't remember for sure when he started it. I think late fall -- maybe around November?? We just work at each lesson until ds gets it no matter how long that takes or how quickly it might take. I guess it's working out for us though to take a year or a little less with each book.
#7 of 7 Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 AM

I don't schedule MUS. Since Alpha and above are mastery, we stay on a leson until she is done and move on. Additionally, I let her work completely at her own pace. She usually does a page or two, Friday she did 8. A level can last two months or it can last two years.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page