May Unschoolers Support - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 292 Old 05-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure how that would work. Here we just do our thing. Maybe you could start a thread with your question so it doesn't get lost in this one.

Yesterday we went to a ballet performance. A church down town has a lunch time concert once a month called Feeding the Soul of the City. We went a lot before I got pg and had the baby. This year they switch to Tues which was the same time as playgroup. Anyway, yesterday a ballet co (the only professional one in our state) came and did a 35min performance. My dd who loves ballet thoroughly enjoyed it and ds was mesmerized. Afterwards an older lady thanked dd for being such a good watcher and thanked me for exposing my kids to ballet!
#182 of 292 Old 05-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy2bmom View Post
Hi all, I'm a homeschooler thats interested in unschooling. I hafta admit i didn't read this whole thread but i have a specific question about it. I live in a place that you hafta join a religious school to homeschool so how do i legally get away with unschooling? I would love to do it though if i knew how.thanks
Yikes! Where do I not want to live?

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#183 of 292 Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 PM

Hello all,
I'm new to this email group and don't do well with email as a form of communication (needed disclaimer)...although I'm grateful for it as a tool to help build community. I'm new to Baltimore city and would love to find like minded people with children to build relationships with. I'd love any and all suggestions as to how to find them/you!!!

Parenting styles and philosophies override all other social parameters....I'm an attached parent (oh my, will he ever leave my bed??!!), unschooler, working on talking vs. yelling (an ongoing challenge) and overall observant "hands off" parent.

I share my days with my two boys, 8 and 12, we'd love to find people in this area to share activities with.

thanks for reading,
Catherine
#184 of 292 Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 AM

If you want to hook up with people locally, you might try posting in the tribes forum here for your state.
#185 of 292 Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
LEGO® products as a Function of Anthropology...

(a) Homo Faber ( Man the Designer ) ( Man the Maker )
(b) The Irresistible Invitation to Create. It is impossible to keep your hands off a pile of LEGO® products.
(c) Play is the WORK of Children...All higher-level animal young develop life skills through PLAY. He who plays best, survives longest! Yet man-the-adult denigrates Child-Play. Man is the only animal that tries to teach its young by LECTURE...The man-child who can learn by PLAY ( hands-on experiences ) becomes a better adult.

This is from a site I just checked out (from a link on another thread here for parents of lego addicts!!!) and just thought letter c especially fit us unschoolers!

http://www.weirdrichard.com/zero.htm#ANTHROPOLOGY
#186 of 292 Old 05-17-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla14 View Post
We are an unschooly-ish family. Sometimes I panic and ask my kids to do stuff though
Hey! That's us! Of course it probably doesn't help any that all of our real life homeschooling friends are school at home-ers

I was just surfing mothering since I had a few minutes. The kids got home from their dad's house this morning and we haven't done much. We are REALLY excited because we might be moving to a kick - ehem, butt house. We've been looking for something new for a while now and we just checked out a really nice, bigish, old house that's so cute!! Most of the morning we just talked about that. Nothing like jumping the gun a little, huh? We should find out for certain next week, but I think it's pretty sure.

So after a couple of hours of that, I put away groceries while the older two made lunch and the little one 'did dishes' . Now the little one is taking a bath, his brother is watching him and playing in the water, and dd is laying in bed drawing. We're going to make some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies in a few minutes though. Later we'll probably read. A lot. It's a kinda gloomy day here, and reading is the best way to pass gloomy days.
#187 of 292 Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 AM

oops, i asked a question and forgot about it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
Not sure how that would work. Here we just do our thing. Maybe you could start a thread with your question so it doesn't get lost in this one.
Great idea, i'll hafta do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTmama1 View Post
Yikes! Where do I not want to live?
Alabama, UGH
#188 of 292 Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM

I love this thread! Everyone is doing so many great things.

We spent a lot of the morning singing/playing instruments. The girls have been lining the chairs up in the kitchen to make a train (that goes to Alaska, Chicago and China...lol)

We stopped by the pet store to buy a new Plecostomus and got to look at all the animals there.

We did story time at the library, which my 4 year old absolutely loves. They do stories and singing and dancing and she just has the best time. My 1 year old isn't as fond of the library and I spend most of the time trying to keep her from climbing the shelves and/or pulling all the books off the shelves. Luckily there is a random staircase in the back that keeps her entertained for a bit.

We are going to go this afternoon and try to find some containers to start a container garden on the deck. It gets tons of sun all day, so I'm hoping to grow some tomatoes and summer squash, and maybe some flowers. My 4 year old has been wanting to plant a garden, and she will be in charge of watering every day. Hopefully by next year we will be able to put in some raised beds and grow more.
#189 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 02:26 AM

Hi all! I'm new to this thread. I had recently emailed Greenlee (Mama in the Forest) about her jewelry (isn't it beautiful??!!), and she mentioned this thread. I used to post on Mothering quite a bit when my boys were younger (they're now 6 and 8), but haven't posted in a couple of years. In fact, I forgot what my user name was, so I had to re-register! I'm looking forward to being a part of this thread. I just love reading what everyone is doing with their children.
#190 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 03:04 AM

Ds and I stayed up way too late last night, spent hours talking about ds's usual obsessions of politics and religion (you do NOT want to invite this kid to a dinner party ) We spent a few hours surfing some favorite sites together (Make magazine and instructables.com), and talking about books we're reading (ds and I both like to read multiple books at once, usually switching back and forth between each others books). There was a huge thunderstorm last night, the first big one of summer, so ds and I sat out on our balcony with our new cat (the older one is terrified of thunderstorms, the new one seems to like them alot) and watched the lightning, and the storm roll in, our balcony faces due west so we can watch the storms rolling in from the prairie.

Ds did comment to me that his shoulder felt funny, at about midnight. It wasn't until then that he remembered that he'd fallen off his bike at 4 that afternoon. Still, he said it didn't really hurt and turned down tylenol. We finally got to sleep around 4, the new cat likes to ram his head into ds's back while he's sleeping, good thing he's incredibly soft and cute, or ds wouldn't put up with him

Woke up today at 1 (I've got a 4 day weekend and I'm milking it for all it's worth, ), and made ds a good breakfast. He said his shoulder was still hurting a bit. Now, this is a kid who broke his wrist and still wrote with that hand for 3 days before finally complaining it was aching. He broke his ankle 3 years ago on a hike, finished the hike and went out to the water park before he felt the pain. So, I figured I'd get him checked out, just in case.

We waited in the Urgent Care ward for about 6 hours, though actually had a pretty good time. Ds wants to learn to make furniture, and was planning out an idea he had to make a portable, folding chair that is short enough to bring to music festivals (usually the rule for outdoor fests is around 2 feet high, max.) He spent a few hours sketching out his idea and adjusting it, then read Pagan Holiday (about how ancient Romans used to vacation) and told me about how Naples used to be an exclusive artists colony, but is now the poorest city in Western Europe, and actually had an outbreak of cholera in the 70's.

Finally we get in to see a doc, and sure enough, ds's collarbone is broken. Now, I've never broken a bone, so I don't know about this, but I've always been told by people who have broken bones, and especially collarbones, that it hurts like crazy. So far ds has broken 3 bones, and doesn't seem to notice. He's been x-rayed so much that he directs the nurses when we go in, and reads his own xrays while we're waiting for the doc ("hmm, so that's what my ribs look like!") I worry that he's going to be seriously injured someday, and not even notice. He has such a good attitude toward injuries, though (I guess he's had so much practice, sigh), he was joking around in the waiting room, hung out in the kids room for a while watching Go, Diego, Go with the little kids who were waiting (he's really, really big for his age, and one of those really gentle big guys who are really patient with little kids, all preschoolers love him to death.)

Now, ds has his arm in a sling and he and his buddy are having a sleepover, at least, I hope there will be some sleeping involved. They're playing Heroes on his friends laptop and taking turns shooting each other with ds's potato gun. Ds really is the Iron Kid. Now, a cold, the sniffles, a little bit of flu, totally another story

Hope everyone else here is having a fantastic week.
#191 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 09:43 AM

Ds wants us to learn chess together! He's only 4, but he can play a little bit. His father and my mother have been teaching him, and apparently he can play some game that uses only pawns, and he's starting to learn what the other pieces do. Our library has an all-ages chess club that he wants to join, so i got some chess books for children. These are for myself, because I can't follow the chess books for adults!
Lately he's been making up math worksheets for himself. He writes things like 4=2, and tries to figure out ways to balance the two sides. I'm impressed because i have math anxiety, and haven't talked much about it with him. So he's doing math from his own free will! Awesome!

punk rock mom to Milo, my unschooling anarchist snuggle buddy :
#192 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi texas hippie! Welcome to the forum ~ glad to see you here!

I always love reading about the things everyone's doing - it's so nice. I like knowing I'm not alone on this unschooling path.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#193 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Alima, that's one tough kid you've got there! I hope he heals quickly!

#194 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alima View Post
Ds and I stayed up way too late last night, spent hours talking about ds's usual obsessions of politics and religion (you do NOT want to invite this kid to a dinner party ) We spent a few hours surfing some favorite sites together (Make magazine and instructables.com), and talking about books we're reading (ds and I both like to read multiple books at once, usually switching back and forth between each others books). There was a huge thunderstorm last night, the first big one of summer, so ds and I sat out on our balcony with our new cat (the older one is terrified of thunderstorms, the new one seems to like them alot) and watched the lightning, and the storm roll in, our balcony faces due west so we can watch the storms rolling in from the prairie.

Ds did comment to me that his shoulder felt funny, at about midnight. It wasn't until then that he remembered that he'd fallen off his bike at 4 that afternoon. Still, he said it didn't really hurt and turned down tylenol. We finally got to sleep around 4, the new cat likes to ram his head into ds's back while he's sleeping, good thing he's incredibly soft and cute, or ds wouldn't put up with him

Woke up today at 1 (I've got a 4 day weekend and I'm milking it for all it's worth, ), and made ds a good breakfast. He said his shoulder was still hurting a bit. Now, this is a kid who broke his wrist and still wrote with that hand for 3 days before finally complaining it was aching. He broke his ankle 3 years ago on a hike, finished the hike and went out to the water park before he felt the pain. So, I figured I'd get him checked out, just in case.

We waited in the Urgent Care ward for about 6 hours, though actually had a pretty good time. Ds wants to learn to make furniture, and was planning out an idea he had to make a portable, folding chair that is short enough to bring to music festivals (usually the rule for outdoor fests is around 2 feet high, max.) He spent a few hours sketching out his idea and adjusting it, then read Pagan Holiday (about how ancient Romans used to vacation) and told me about how Naples used to be an exclusive artists colony, but is now the poorest city in Western Europe, and actually had an outbreak of cholera in the 70's.

Finally we get in to see a doc, and sure enough, ds's collarbone is broken. Now, I've never broken a bone, so I don't know about this, but I've always been told by people who have broken bones, and especially collarbones, that it hurts like crazy. So far ds has broken 3 bones, and doesn't seem to notice. He's been x-rayed so much that he directs the nurses when we go in, and reads his own xrays while we're waiting for the doc ("hmm, so that's what my ribs look like!") I worry that he's going to be seriously injured someday, and not even notice. He has such a good attitude toward injuries, though (I guess he's had so much practice, sigh), he was joking around in the waiting room, hung out in the kids room for a while watching Go, Diego, Go with the little kids who were waiting (he's really, really big for his age, and one of those really gentle big guys who are really patient with little kids, all preschoolers love him to death.)

Now, ds has his arm in a sling and he and his buddy are having a sleepover, at least, I hope there will be some sleeping involved. They're playing Heroes on his friends laptop and taking turns shooting each other with ds's potato gun. Ds really is the Iron Kid. Now, a cold, the sniffles, a little bit of flu, totally another story

Hope everyone else here is having a fantastic week.

Poor bunnie! Hope he heals quickly!

And isn't it amazing one doesn't need to be in a classroom to learn?
#195 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Ds and I stayed up way too late last night, spent hours talking about ds's usual obsessions of politics and religion (you do NOT want to invite this kid to a dinner party )
That reminds me...

So the other day we're out in the yard playing and ds (7yo) looks at me and says, "Mom, I know you aren't supposed to talk about religion or politics, but what's that third thing?"

That was totally unexpected. I have NO idea where he heard that.
#196 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 AM

minxin - That's the age that my ds started playing chess. The year he should have been in kindergarten he was in the middle school chess club and went to the state championship

He just seemed to pick it up by trial and error playing. The funny thing is that although I know the technical aspects of the game I have no strategy. He somehow got strategy .

There's a site online about teaching chess that's really cool - it has some tutorials and game ideas. I think it's here, but I'm not certain. Anyway, I found it using google. It spouts some nonsense about kids under 12 not being able to grasp strategy, but that's bs imo. With dd she didn't just 'get it', so we used the game Rooks pawn hunt to teach the way the pieces move.

Good luck...it's alot of fun
#197 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilmonsters View Post
So the other day we're out in the yard playing and ds (7yo) looks at me and says, "Mom, I know you aren't supposed to talk about religion or politics, but what's that third thing?"

With the nice weather, we've been doing a lot of gardening and playing softball. Occasionally we go to one of my husband's games (he plays softball and ultimate frisbee) and strangely, my kids are usually the only kids there. All his teammates know them now and interact with them, and they feel totally comfortable and accepted in that environment. I think it's pretty cool. I just remember as a kid always feeling like I had to stay out of the adults' way... my kids really seem to have no conception of that. They see themselves as people, not lesser beings.

Let's see... my oldest son, the chef, has created a new recipe (totally out of his head) for chocolate waffles. Unfortunately, when writing it down he got tsp. and tbsp. mixed up so that while they were FANTASTIC the first time, we haven't yet been able to recreate them. So we've been making a lot of waffles trying to figure it out.

My daughter is really getting interested in reading, trying to read along with me. I was wondering if she would start earlier than the boys, you know that stereotype that girls pick up reading earlier than boys. She has. (She's just 5.) No interest in math yet, though. Which my boys naturally started very early. Interesting.
#198 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilmonsters View Post
minxin - That's the age that my ds started playing chess. The year he should have been in kindergarten he was in the middle school chess club and went to the state championship

He just seemed to pick it up by trial and error playing. The funny thing is that although I know the technical aspects of the game I have no strategy. He somehow got strategy .

There's a site online about teaching chess that's really cool - it has some tutorials and game ideas. I think it's here, but I'm not certain. Anyway, I found it using google. It spouts some nonsense about kids under 12 not being able to grasp strategy, but that's bs imo. With dd she didn't just 'get it', so we used the game Rooks pawn hunt to teach the way the pieces move.

Good luck...it's alot of fun
Thank you! I've tried many times to learn, but i get very impatient and frustrated with myself and give up too quickly. He seems to be understanding it very easily. He's not old and jaded and doesn't say "i'll never get the hang of it" and i hope my lack of confidence doesn't rub off on him!
I'm no good at strategy either. I'm also not ruthless, which seems to be an important chess skill.

punk rock mom to Milo, my unschooling anarchist snuggle buddy :
#199 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Wow, Alima--what a tough kid. (I totally can't relate to that--around here, when I hear hysterical cries of "MOM! I CUT MY ARM OPEN." what it means is, I'll need to put my glasses on to hunt for the scratch. ) Hope he heals quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilmonsters

He just seemed to pick it up by trial and error playing. The funny thing is that although I know the technical aspects of the game I have no strategy. He somehow got strategy
That's me too. I learned to play as a teen and, while I enjoy it, I'm not very good at all. My dh keeps telling me that I need to "see" a few moves ahead. How the heck do you do that? But ds really gets it.

Lots of outdoor stuff going on here--gardening, nature classes, birding, hiking. We went to a sheep farm this week. And we went skating--I think that was the only indoor activity all week. And the boys spent time at a friend's house, one went out for a sleepover, one had a friend sleep over here...Dd and I volunteered at the animal shelter this a.m. and this afternoon we're all going to see a glass-making demonstration. Tomorrow we're going to an opening of an exhibit on Lindberg.

My kids can never go to school--we just wouldn't have time for it.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#200 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 12:51 PM

What a busy week! Since I posted on Tuesday we've done a lot.

Took the baby to get weighed on Weds and he was 20lb. (he had tons of issues growing at first, we did wt checks 2x a week, dr was all concerned).

Thursday we went with my mom to some local historical homes. The man who started our library and the art museum has a beautiful victorian home which has been restored so we went for a tour. Dd has been fascinated to learn more about him since he started "her" library and musem. We had lots of fun then went back to my parents' house for dinner and dd told grandpa all about what we did. It's neat to hear what she remembered and thought was important. The funny thing during the tour is that we were our own little tour group so the guide we were asking all sorts of questions and she being a former teacher was asking dd questions. At one pt dd got a question right that the guide didn't expect her to and dd said "Well, I am pretty smart you know." So modest, lol. She did amaze us all with what she did know and what she noticed as we were on our tour.

Yesterday we were going to stay home. But a friend called and had to take her car to the shop right by the mall so she asked if we wanted to meet her there. Since it had been almost a month since I had seen her we went. It was fun to let the kids play while we chatted.

Today there is a spring fest, a kite festival, and the newspaper is having tours for their 150th anniversary. The worst part is that I feel like just staying home.
#201 of 292 Old 05-19-2007, 09:49 PM

I just have to share, I am so proud.

My son Jake started getting interested in reading "late", and tried to work on it intermittently from about age 8 but usually ended up getting frustrated and losing interest. This past winter he was just starting to read Dr. Seuss somewhat fluently (though slowly.) He's just turned 10, by the way. And then, this spring, he *really* got passionate about it. He received a book for his birthday that is for ages 9-12, and seriously started working through it (on his own initiative.) He would constantly follow me around the house spelling out words for me to tell him what they said. I was started to get a little tired of it, actually. "Jake, give me a break, will you?"

Now, just as I was reading this essay about TV (which fwiw I don't totally agree with, I am relatively anti-TV, radical unschooling in most ways but not with that ) he came up behind me and started reading:

"...as BIG a world as possible! TV introduces us to so many topics and interests that we may not have learned about otherwise. We have a joyful relationship with TV! The topics of interest that have been introduced to us through TV have been incredible! It is a window to our world! Being Homeschoolers, I love the fact that my kids know all about modern pop culture. They are able to have conversations with anyone, including kids in school about things current and popular in our world. They aren't the "weird, sheltered homeschoolers" who have no idea what Sponge bob is (for example) making them all the more different from kids their age. They feel totally "normal" around anyone because they know so much about what others are discussing in social situations."

He needed help with the bigger words, but pretty much got it all! I was so excited, I was clapping and jumping up and down! Then he left to check on his food (he's making quesadillas filled with refried beans and parmesan noodles -- one of his creations ) and I figured he was done with it. But then he came back and said, "now where was I" and started up again!

It is so exciting to see him entering the world of reading and *loving* it!
#202 of 292 Old 05-20-2007, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

#203 of 292 Old 05-20-2007, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good for your Ds! That's so wonderful. What a blessing that he was able to do this at a pace that was right for him.

(Also that was an awesome essay about TV!! Thanks for the link )

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#204 of 292 Old 05-20-2007, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Ds and I stayed up way too late last night, spent hours talking about ds's usual obsessions of politics and religion (you do NOT want to invite this kid to a dinner party ) We spent a few hours surfing some favorite sites together (Make magazine and instructables.com), and talking about books we're reading.
Wow, this sounds so much like me and my Ds! We debate (in a friendly way lol) religion, politics, entertainment and so on. He tells me all about his books and characters. We watch dumb youtube videos too.

I hope your Ds heals quickly! He sounds like a tough young man.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#205 of 292 Old 05-20-2007, 08:52 AM

FLB, That is SO exciting! It still amazes me how quickly kids go from "Dr. Seuss" to more advanced reading when they do it in their own way.

Dayna, is that article part of something bigger? I tried cutting off the end of the url to find its source (internet stuff is not my strength) and found the toy page, but nothing more about tv/unschooling. Just wondering if the article was in response to something in particular.

#206 of 292 Old 05-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Banned

-=-Dayna, is that article part of something bigger?-=-

No, it was just published in Life Learning Magazine alongside of an anti-TV article. I have my articles slaved from our toy site, because I don't have any pages left to use with my other website host. (Kind of a long technical story). My friend Scott Noelle is going to be hosting my Unschooling America site next month and I will have all my articles on that site soon.

~Peace & Love, Dayna
www.UnschoolingAmerica.com
www.thesparklingmartins.blogspot.com
#207 of 292 Old 05-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolingAmerica View Post
-=-Dayna, is that article part of something bigger?-=-

No, it was just published in Life Learning Magazine alongside of an anti-TV article.
Ah, thanks, that puts it in context for me.

There was a time I was anti-tv, but then I realized that my stance was in reaction to my dh's use of tv and I had to re-think it all.

(Scott Noelle's daily notes always give me a smile. Let us know when you're up and running over there.)

#208 of 292 Old 05-20-2007, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've had a busy few days, and next week promises to be busy as well. Shavuos (Jewish holiday celebrating the receiving of the Torah at Mount Sinai) starts on Tuesday night and ends on Thursday evening, so of course Monday and Tuesday will be spent in preparation, plus DD2 is signed up for a class about birds on Monday afternoon.

Ugh. I'm tired. It's so frustrating when I have a good couple of days, and then WHAM!!! My body has to remind me that I have FMS.

I'm still so torn about HSing DS next year. I don't really want him in school, but I question how I can take proper care of myself if I have to care for him all day. Like if I actually get a referral to physical therapy within a realistic driving distance. I can leave my 11yo at home while I go, and schedual my appts around her HSing activities, but what to do with a 5/6yo? I don't feel comfy letting her babysit before age 12, and my 12yo is going to be in school next year.

I still need to find time to see my PCP to get a referral to my rheumatologist (or a different rheumy) so I can get a refill on my meds and a referral to PT. I'm pretty sure I need to see the PCP in person, and show them my new insurance card, before they can give me any referrals.

I'm just feeling kind of frustrated. I know in my heart that I want DS home with me next year, to learn at his own pace instead of being rushed to "keep up with the rest of the class" and I'd be able to care for myself with only a few hours of babysitting per week, but I'm not sure how to go about setting that up or paying for it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#209 of 292 Old 05-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Speaking of TV. Can we talk TV? I actually do not get the whole rabid anit-tv rhetoric.

Oh, of course I get the 'I don't want my kid to sit and veg and look at Lucky Charms commercials all day" worries. I also get not wanting to hear Barney or The Teletubbies music come out of the TV for 20 hours a day. I get not wanting to sleep on polyester sheets of Dora. I can't see unchecked abuse and neglect of media in a one year old. I also think that some of Jane Healy's work is compelling...if you are a toddler. The advertising to children. I get all that.

But the absolute craziness of no TV at all? Ever? The covering of eyes, the fighting with friends and family all the time? How is that intelligent or even healthy?

And what's with the anti -Shrek crowd? I love Donkey. I love Shrek. The French Robin Hood in the first movie? That is absolutely hilarious. lol (Am I slow?) Even long-suffering Fiona.

I don't have cable-- but there are some days we lust for The History Channel or Animal Planet (my kids love hotel TV!) etc. There are even some days I drop myself heavily onto the sofa with a beer and pray That 70's Show is on one of my murky channels...and the other day I caught King of Queens--I had no idea that show was still on! I cried when they brought their baby home from China, hysterically laughed when her father walked in, saying his marriage didn’t work out. Is that wrong? lol I . don't. think. so. There is so much interesting cultural commentary on TV. And a heap of talented writers finding theater for their work. In all the good, bad, and ugly, I think it's interesting.

And if my kids want some pita chips and hummus (or chips and onion dip) as they sit heavily down to watch some rerun of Simpsons, who the heck am I to deny them that?

I just can't go down that whole forbidding TV road and think it's healthy. We watch-- we might not watch a lot and I might be gald we don't, but I still don't get the whole fundamentalist evangelical anti-tv crowd. You just don't want them at your potluck supper.
#210 of 292 Old 05-20-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Speaking of TV. Can we talk TV? I actually do not get the whole rabid anit-tv rhetoric.
I don't know that I was ever rabid about it. What happened here is that, when dh and I got together, I didn't have a tv and had no desire for one. He loves tv but we were poor starving college students at the time so we had tv with rabbit ears and tin foil and snowy reception on, like, 2 1/2 channels.

What bugged me about his usage is that he'd have it on ALL THE TIME. "For background noise." which drove me nuts. It makes me feel nervous--I need quiet some times, yk? Our apt. consisted of a kit/LR with two bedrooms (we had a room-mate) and our bedroom was so small that the bed just fit into it, so it wasn't like I could go elsewhere and get away from the tv.

Anyway, when we had kids I didn't want them to get into that habit, so we had lots of conversations about tv. My concern was that, if they were watching tv, then they were missing out on everything else there was in life. Then, the tv broke and we couldn't afford to get another one. No one missed it but dh. We were without a tv for a while, but watched it at other people's houses sometimes--it wasn't an issue.

Once we got a tv again, we compromised and put it in a spare bedroom. This way, everyone got to watch it, but I didn't have to deal with it being on for background noise. When our 3rd child needed the bedroom, the tv returned to the family room and when we started hsing dh ordered satellite. I was worried that the tv would take over our lives, but then I started to realize that the kids were much more reasonable about tv than dh was. They WANTED to get out and do other things. And of course, there were things they could see on tv that they couldn't see irl (we're not going to Africa this week, nor are we spending any time inside a space ship, etc. but we can see this on tv.) Also, we often ended up having conversations about shows we watched--whether they were science shows, cooking shows, cartoons, whatever.

So, I've gone from no tv to a big screen, 800 channel monster with no limits. Turns out, it doesn't matter. I was wrong. There, I said it.

As for advertising, we've never shielded our kids from that--I'm not sure how that could be done, really. They see ads on tv, in magazines, the newspaper, billboards, stores--it's impossible to get away from. We just talk about the function of advertising, the goals, etc. My kids were all very young when they realized, "That company just wants us to buy their stuff and give them our money!"

(Oh, and we're big Shrek fans here.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page