May Unschoolers Support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas! It's May 1st today ~ happy unschooling!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#2 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 AM

We're so happy that it's May here.. we have plans to spend the day at the pool!

Joyfully- Laura
radically unschooling 3 awesome kids
#3 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Slept late. DD spent the morning getting really frustrated with the barbiegirl website. Lots of bugs! Read more myths. We went out to lunch, bought fruits and veggies at the marketstands, fed pigeons (then she chased them), came home to snuggle up in the bed with the cat and watch The Barnyard. We have the Wii game and just got the movie. It's cute.

We're just messing around before dinnertime, playing games and chatting. Nothing too exciting happening here. Sorry!
#4 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Hello mamas!
I read through last month's thread and am so happy to have found fellow lifelearners! I am home with 3 adventuring sweeties ages 7.5, 5.5, and 20 months.
Today is a mellow day. One of my dd's allergies are acting up today. Lots of book reading and then off to Kung Fu for an hour, then baking.
Nice to be here
~Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#5 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 01:25 PM

Hi! I love May! I'm really going to participate in this thread this month...<says the procrastinator> DS#1 got up really early this morning and decided to mop the kitchen floor, the walls, and the ceiling All before 7am: At least the kitchen is clean!
#6 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM

Ooh! I wanna play!

We are sort of fly by the seat of our pants learners. I hate labels. We fit mostly with unschoolers though because we don't have any preconcieved notions of what we "should" be doing right now.

But dd loves "workbooks" if they are difficult enough so some hardcore unschoolers poo poo that. Ah well, whatever.

I haven't ever read the previous thread, off to read!:

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#7 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new to the unschooling support threads. My oldest is 2 years, 9 months old. Just wanted to introduce myself for now. I'll be back.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#8 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We're "relaxed homeschoolers, leaning towards unschooling." But we do have some academic structure because DD requested it. It's hard to explain what we do to people who expect homeschooling to be "school at home." My Mom isn't very comfortable with what we're doing, but she's getting better about it, plus she's happy because we're doing more structure now. I can't help but wonder if "pressure from Bubbie" is part of the reason that DD was asking for more structure. Nah, I think she was just bored and wanted to learn some stuff with me.

Ugh. I had to explain our schooling style to a CPS worker this morning. NOT fun. Somebody called because DD2 wasn't in school, but I showed her the paperwork from the school district and she seemed satisfied. I still feel violated though.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#9 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 01:40 PM

My youngest and I read some of The Railway Children this morning, and now she is on the porch waiting for some hsing friends to come over and play. She walked the dogs and played in our pond. She also sat in bed for a long time this morning reading, and after that and before going outside, she was in the playroom with her plastic ponies stretched out over a large area.

My oldest dd is watching Emma Thompson and Dezel Washington in Much Ado About Nothing and is laughing hysterically. She spent the morning drawing, reading (I think she is currently reading Juniper, not sure), and running outside with her sister and the dogs.
#10 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 01:40 PM

After years of trying many different methods, we gravitated toward unschooling, and it really works for us. We've been unschooling now for about the last four years. The only thing I "make" our son do is some stuff relating to our decision recently to raise our children Catholic - I'm having him do a faith formation work book and read a book, but he does this mostly at his own pace with a little nudging from me.
#11 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 01:52 PM

Hi,
Just popping in to intro our family. I will have 4 kiddos in August. We are basically unschoolers. It is the philosophy I believe in but we deviate a bit. Ds5 LOVES workbooks and the 2 older 2 do a token amount of independant book math and make sure to read a bit everyday(which they would do anyway) to make their dad(my ex) believe they "do" school. It's not ideal but it is working for us and in other respects we are definately unschoolers.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread!
#12 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 PM

Has anyone linked the old thread?....

if not here it is... http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=646349

We are a religious unschooling family and there are things we do because its part of our lives. We go to church, I read bible stories, we discuss what our faith means, who God is to us, etc. Recently my ds said 'I hate church' so Ive stopped making him go. He'll probably want to come on the days when the lads all go to football (thats british for 'soccer' ) practice at the way cool, massive, well impressive, proper football stadium where the real footballers here at manchester united play. Ill be honest and say that our 'method' of unschooling doesnt come from a real conviction that this is the best way children learn. We sort of fell into it ourselves. Ive not done tonnes of research on it; its sort of just feels right for us. Its a case of us learning about it as we go and hoping it will work out. As the days go by I am becoming more convinced that it is genuinely the right thing for us. Im personally not opposed to a bit of structure if it is needed so if in the future we feel we need it, we'll go for it. I dont think that would make us not unschoolers. I hate labels too anyway.

Today we met up with our local homeschool group at the park nearby. Its been a glorious day. Sunny and so much fun.
#13 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 02:31 PM

We are an unschooly-ish family. Sometimes I panic and ask my kids to do stuff though

My biggest worry is that i'm busy looking after the toddler and preschooler, and I don't 'expand' on their interests like I should. I also find it hard to get out of the house with 4 kids. The toddler is only 15 months and is very active, and doesn't like to sit for long if we want to go to a museum, or even the library.

I'm trying to build up our resources at home, so the kids have more to read, and access to more hands on stuff. But at the same time we live in a small home... *sigh*

Either way, i'm definately an unschool supporter, and a real wannabe, but still struggling a bit
#14 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Hi guys. My kids are still young, so of course we're unschooling. As they get older, I can see us adding a smidge of structure, but not much (unless they really want it). My 3.5 year old adores workbooks, though, so we'll see.

Today we went to the grocery store and picked out some plants to bring home, as well as sushi for lunch. When we got home, we turned over the compost pile, made a fairy house in one of our square foot gardening spaces, and planted some marigold transplants around it. Then we planted some broccoli seeds.

After that, we played with the sand and water table for a while, checked on our spinach seedlings, and had lunch.

Not sure what we're going to do this afternoon.. probably work some more in the garden, if my husband comes home early. Otherwise we'll go meet some friends at the park.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#15 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM

I'm jumping on board for May... was a bit to late for April....we are fairly new to unschooling as i took ds out of 6th grade in feb..i think it was feb...so dd is still in school...which makes it a bit stressful around here somedays....i'm having her finish school in june...and no more school....our family is moving to MX in december....so i feel so stressed these days....i also have some gulit lingering about ds...he still only wants to play computer 24/7 and i have tried to get him to go on outings with us and go cool places...but he'd rather be at home in front of the computer...is this still ok? He also stays up really late at night and wakes up at like noon every day...is this ok too? I have read a bunch about unschooling but i still have concerns that i am doing the right thing...so hopefully by jumping on the May support thread i will become much more comfortable about how things are going here at home.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#16 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 03:04 PM

I cannot believe it's May! Wow. I'm almost 31!

I got up an some horrifying hour to check in for my first day of jury duty. I was excused from this trial, but I have to go back Friday. Fun. Note to self: bring change and a book next time.

Ds is barely awake, and Dd just finished some oatmeal w/brown sugar. Now she's playing Kingdom Hearts on PS2. Dh should be home in like 4 hours or so! He's been gone for 3 weeks.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#17 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM

Subbing for May!

We went to the library today, then hung out at the harbor, and watched the river rage that empties into the ocean (it was really ragin!! we've had about 3 days of rain in a row), then went to buy post cards for the unschooling around the world post card exchange! Good day

And yesterday, my baby boy turned 3!!!

Off to go eat some leftover birthday cake (homemade chocolate cake with chocolate icing....YUM!!)
#18 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 PM

Hi all!

I can't believe its May already either! It was hot,hot,hot and humid here today. Son#1 said "If this is spring, whats summer gonna be like?" I think we had snow still on the ground 3 weeks ago. Its been crazy weather!:

I'll be 37 on the 29th, even crazier!: I don't feel old enough to be that old!

Son#1 turned 18 one month ago today. Technically, he'd be a junior in HS if he'd have stayed in public school. He wanted to "graduate" this spring, but we thought it'd be best if he waited one more year. He's dyslexic (one of the reasons we pulled him from PS 6 years ago). Thing is, I don't know what I'm going to do with him next year. He's bossy and bored at home but he's also not quite ready to venture out into the big wide world totally on his own yet either. Its going to be an interesting year, me thinks.
#19 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I hear you!!! I just turned 32 and I'm not sure where the years went...Happy birthday!!!
#20 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 06:03 PM

Hi everyone and welcome to the newcomers!

It's pretty quiet around here today: Grocery shopping this morning (with a discussion on the new recycling push at Superstore -- recycled pop bottle bags, etc.); a teething toddler; a muddy ds!

Carolm22117, what about volunteer work?

Have a great afternoon/evening everyone!
#21 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Volunteer work!!
Thats a GREAT idea! Thanks!!!
#22 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Awww, you young thing. You're just a babe still. I'll turn 42 in June! My daughter will be 19 this May.

I'm so glad to see so many unschooling mamas!!! Welcome to everyone!

Today was very warm & windy here too. We planted some seeds inside today for transplantation later. Mostly herbs as we'll plant the vegetable seeds directly outside. Some that we planted inside last week are beginning to come up. Their tiny little stems are so cute! The kids are so excited to see them coming up. It's like magic.

My 7 year old daughter told me that she's made friends with a particular bee. We have apple trees in the front yard so right now there are hundreds of thousands of bees drinking their fill of the apple blossoms.......anyway my daughter told me this long story of how she has come to know one of the bees and it follows her around. Apparently it likes her very much. All I could think about was how fortunate she is and how beautiful it was that she could occupy her thoughts with something like this. She is truly free. :

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#23 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 PM

I'm mom to 7 unschooled kids 11y, 10y, 8y, 7y, 6y, 4y, 2y,and am pregnant with #8! We live way up north in BC, Canada in a very, very small town with a lot of like minded people (yay!).
We've just got back from May Day celebration which was lots of fun, dancing, talking with friends, eating lots of food! I'll be posting more!

Unschool mom of 7 great kids!: : :

Visit my blog:http://wondersoflearning.blogspot.com/
#24 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM

subbing...we're on day 2 of our double birthday bash hangover...
sleeping late (8:30 yesterday!), eating leftovers, hanging around...
ds and dh just went to buy concrete for our new front fence after a loooong lesson in using the level: . ds does not waver when learning something tool-related!
dd's asleep on my lap after falling asleep in the bike trailer. she's had a fever on and off...yuck. poor kid.
got my new mothering today and was totally absorbed in the beautiful story about mom/son tree-climbing ...this could be me in 15 years!
happy living and learning in may, everyone!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#25 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM

Joining in this month

I find that unschooling is near impossible for me right now with my depression at an all time low. I wonder if scheduling time would be best to help me be motivated to do things like leave the house and wake up at a normal time.

Today's "lessons" take the form of making words with alphabet cookies. And Willy Wonka. I kind of suck lately. I wish I were able to be as cool as my ideas.
#26 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 08:39 PM

Hi! I'm new too (wasn't in last month's thread).

I'm Jen, I unschool Alison who's 5. We've also got Ian who will be 9mo on Friday. We started hsing last year for preschool with unit studies. We had fun, but then I got pg and we started getting more and more unstructured. Now we've been unschooling for over a year.

Until this week we were really busy with story time, a play group, etc. But both of those are done so we are adjusting to being home more. Today was rainy most of the day so we stayed home and did nothing.

I have a couple projects in mind. I'd like to start some seeds. Our yard is mostly shady so we just do pots on the deck. Dd has already planted an apple seed she saved from her apple. I'm not sure if it will grow, but she'll find out. We also have a sweet potato end growing on our counter and an avocado seed hanging out in water. It hasn't started to sprout yet.

I also want to try a pond water experiment I read about. http://www.kidsgardening.com/Dig/dig...pe=Art&ID=1032 It sounds like fun and we have lots of different places we could get samples from.

Anyway, baby is getting tired but I'm glad to have found you all and will be interested to see what you all are doing.
#27 of 292 Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Ugh. I had to explain our schooling style to a CPS worker this morning. NOT fun. Somebody called because DD2 wasn't in school, but I showed her the paperwork from the school district and she seemed satisfied. I still feel violated though.
Yikes! Glad it went ok but it's horrible to know someone is watching you and reported you.

We had a poor night's sleep but got a couple more hours in, after getting up at 5AM, before going to see if our morning playdate was rained out. No one was there so we grocery shopped and checked back. People were there the second time and ds had fun chasing squirrels and birds with his new friends. We puttered around on computers a bit when we got home and then had another nap.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#28 of 292 Old 05-02-2007, 12:23 AM

Earth Angel ~ it's so cool that you and Jaya connected and that she turned you onto The Work! I've contributed some energy toward the book with Jaya. I love that she is consolidating the community experiences of The Work with children. There is so much in The Work that is to share with and nurture ourselves as parents and our children!

I practice The Work every day, almost constantly. It is alive in me, as Katie calls it. The questions are always just there, asking ~
"Is it true?" Is it true?"
There's the noticing of more thoughts, beliefs.
"Are you sure?"
"How do you/would you live your life out of that belief?, self? How do you react when you think that thought?"

"Who would you be without that thought, dear self? Who are you - right here, right now - without that thought?"

I find myself just being very quite and yielding to my children ~ and find them to be ancient masters at this thing called life. There is a silent and ecstatic gratitude in being within their presence.
#29 of 292 Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momazon4 View Post
I hear you!!! I just turned 32 and I'm not sure where the years went...Happy birthday!!!
Thanks so much! It's coming up here in a couple weeks or so. Happy belated day to you as well. :

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#30 of 292 Old 05-02-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Mia View Post
I find that unschooling is near impossible for me right now with my depression at an all time low. <snip> I kind of suck lately. I wish I were able to be as cool as my ideas.
YOU DO NOT SUCK. You rock.

Besides taking care of your kids' basic needs, take care of yourself, take care of your health, take a walk every day that you possibly can (so good for you, good for depression, and such good learning oppurtunities too!) And just let the little things go for right now.

If you keep a journal (or blog) it is easier to keep track of the neat little things your kids do that show that they are learning and growing. So you don't feel like a failure in that regard.

I findthat getting out of the house by 10:00 (or 10:30) every day, even if just for a walk, keeps me feeling much better about myself and everything.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page