Unschoolers and state laws - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how unschoolers handle attendance sheets and things of that nature that need to be done for the state. Do you live in states that don't require these? Do you just fill them out genericly and send them in? Do you fill in every single day, since you are learning every single day? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My state does not require any attendance to be taken. We are required to test at the end of grades 3, 5, 8 and 10.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 05-03-2007, 05:08 PM

It depends on your state.

While we're not really "unschoolers" in the radical sense, we're quite relaxed. We utilize Florida's "private school option," and we chose a "private school" that only required the bare minimum: 180 days of attendence (just a written note that you've "done" 180 days, no learning logs or anything). I could submit 180 days in 180 consecutive days, or I could just mark off the traditional school days until I got ot 180, etc, as long as I came up with 180 checked off days each year.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:49 PM

When I lived in GA, I just filled out the attendance sheets(provided to me when I submitted my intent to HS form) using a school calendar and submitted them each month as required. It's quite ridiculous to have to take attendance in HS, IMO.

We have now been HSing in FL for 3 mos, and I just discovered the "private school" option. If all I have to do is submit attendance under that rule, I'm thrilled to do it. (Unfortunately, I have to pay for 2 health exams to get registered w/ the "private school". We have no health insurance right now.)
Old 05-03-2007, 06:11 PM

CA requires that i keep an attendance register, which can be in the form of a calendar that has days they are sick or not in school marked off...however, it is only in the event that i am being questioned or whatever...so the chances of me ever needing it, is slim...

you can find out what your state requires you to do here: http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/default.asp

peace...

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

Old 05-04-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaS View Post
When I lived in GA, I just filled out the attendance sheets(provided to me when I submitted my intent to HS form) using a school calendar and submitted them each month as required. It's quite ridiculous to have to take attendance in HS, IMO.
: I just fill it in generically. Quite a stupid requirement if you ask me.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm in NYS. I have to send in an IHIP (individualized home instruction plan), quarterly reports, and an end-of-the-year evaluation.

For the IHIP, I typed up what subjects I figured we'd be covering and put it into "educationalese." For the 3rd quarterly report (1st and 2nd were before we were HSing so I didn't need to send those in) I edited the IHIP- mentioned what subjects we'd actually covered over the course of the quarter, gave her a grade (all As!!) for each subject, printed it out and mailed it in. A friend in the same district showed me her sample quarterly reports, and she also included hours spent on each subject. I sent mine in without hours mentioned and the woman at the school district had no problem with it, so I plan to continue doing it that way.

It's really not that complicated to sit down 5X a year and translate what the kids are learning into educationalese. It's not like having to do this daily!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 05-04-2007, 12:44 PM

My state does not require any paperwork.

-Angela
Old 05-04-2007, 02:48 PM

I think the answer depends on what your state requires. If you need to keep track of attendance then I would get a small calendar that was for attendance and then just put a check mark on it for each day you "do school". That would likely be most days for an unschooler! As far as records and portfolios, you have to be a touch more creative. We don't unschool but we are very relaxed and, up until starting to lapbook, tend not to generate a lot of "paperwork". So I used my digital camera A LOT. Anything that resembled a field trip would have picture taken at it. I take pictures of art work and anything else that is an activity. I store all the pictures in the computer and pre sort by subject and then by activity. When it comes time for the portfolio to be assembled I can go in and print one or two good pics from each folder.

We just joined an umbrella school to avoid all of that. Every quarter all I have to do is send in an email saying DS1 has attended 45 days this quarter and DS2 has attended 45 days this quarter. I still keep all that stuff but I don't feel the pressure anymore, LOL.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:28 PM

Would those that are in Fl care to clue me in about the "private school" option??? You can pm me or just reply here. I am seriously leaning toward the unschooling approach here, and I am new to the whole HS'ing stuff.
TIA!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiasMamma View Post
Would those that are in Fl care to clue me in about the "private school" option??? You can pm me or just reply here. I am seriously leaning toward the unschooling approach here, and I am new to the whole HS'ing stuff.
TIA!!!!
If you register w/ an "umbrella" school, you are considered by the state to be in a private school, not homeschooling. You still home/unschool as usual, though. Once you are registered w/ one, all you have to do is submit 180 days of attendance for the year. I guess submitting it quarterly is what people prefer. You don't have to have an evaluation at the end of the year or keep a school work log or any of that stuff.

Here's a link to a list of schools that function in this capacity.
http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/...daUmbrella.htm

I'm brand new to the concept, so I may have left something out.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiasMamma View Post
TIA!!!!
We use FL Unschoolers. It is a free umbrella school. I just file my "attendance" report every quarter. We are technically Private schoolers, not homeschoolers. I will PM you the info sheet I have on them. They don't have a web site.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 AM

one of the few reasons i love arizona, we just file ONE affidavit when we enroll in HS and no one ever bothers you again.... its wonderful
no records, nothing to turn in, no assessments, no home visits...
Old 05-09-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks SO much for the PM and the info! This si definitely the route we will be taking and I have just passed the info along to my best friend, who will also be unschooling this coming year! We will both be contacting this lady ASAP!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:41 PM

Our state has no formal curriculum or attendance requirements; instead, a certified teacher must review the child's overall progress once a year. Our local portfolio reviewer is an unschooler!

Tending a garden of little ones. stillheart.gif
Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 PM

We have to track attendance, but don't have to turn it in to anyone. Really makes me wonder why it's part of the law, but it is.

My son lives with me and learning happens daily so he's in attendance daily.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
one of the few reasons i love arizona, we just file ONE affidavit when we enroll in HS and no one ever bothers you again.... its wonderful
no records, nothing to turn in, no assessments, no home visits...
Same with MI. Since dd was hsing from the start I didn't even have to inform the school district ever. Here in order to be fully left alone we hs for religious reasons. Which is fine by me because we do have religious beliefs that I want to pass on. If we were non-public private schools (the other option) there are all sorts of hoops to jump through.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:43 PM

In MI you're left alone if you HS for religious reasons? That's weird, LOL! When I was in NC it was super simple...get the HS card then do nothing. Here in GA I have to make up attendance reports. Blah...but with any luck I will be TX bound soon & it is my understanding you don't have to do jack there!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:34 AM

Here in New Jersey you don't have todo anything. Not even fill an intent to homeschool. No attendance, no paperwork at all.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 AM

Why on earth would a homeschooler need to fill out attendance sheet? I'm trying to figure this out.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:17 PM

the only time i've mark my chiold as sick as when he had the flu and didn't enven want to be read to or watch tv. Anything else is a learning day.
I use this attendance log:
http://chasesc.com/CHASEAttendanceForm1.doc
but make "blank" = present so I don't actually have to fill anyhthing in.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
In MI you're left alone if you HS for religious reasons
No ~ not quite the case. In MI there are no requirements to do anything with the school district or state. No notification, no testing, nothing at all, but it's not because of religion. It's just the law.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies

User Tag List