ChOrEs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-25-2001, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there.
I am wondering how you all go about the chores in the household for 6-10 year olds. We are a two-parent, three-children family who unschools. We are challenged by a lack of motivation/"stubborness", arguments about how "it is too hard" on days that they just don't feel like doing it (other days they are happy and eager to do them).

Do you post a chart, have formal days/jobs, or do you deal with it more spontaneously? How about alternatives/incentives to tying chores up with allowance? 'Natural' consequences for not doing chores?

Thanks in advance.
May the Force be with you..
GG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-25-2001, 09:48 PM

We have two parents and three homeschooled 5-9 yr olds. We don't have an official structure for chores, but there are certain things the kids are expected to do. Sometimes I enforce this, and to be honest, sometimes I get tired and just let it slide.

However, I do not fill requests by children who have ignored my requests to take care of their jobs. For example: Q:"Can we go to the bookstore?" A:"Sure, if your room is clean." Q:"Are you going to make lunch?" A:"Yup, as soon as the cat has been fed."

I also use natural consequences. I am not into allowances. We're sort of a communist family.
#3 of 5 Old 11-26-2001, 01:46 PM

#4 of 5 Old 11-26-2001, 11:03 PM

My children are slightly younger; 3 and 5 yo. We approach the chore thing a little differently than some families. No one is responsible for a specific chore, when things need to be done, we dish them out according to who's in the mood to do what. For example, today I cleaned the playroom and kid's bedroom while they made my bed, sorted laundry and loaded the washing machine. Things generally get done before complete chaos takes hold and the no one feels put upon too much.
When the children are having a hard day, I let things slide or maybe try a little incentive such as fresh baked cookies when we can see the living room floor.
Blessings, Becca
#5 of 5 Old 12-26-2001, 04:05 PM

Hi, GG. I guess this thread is getting old but here's my two cents. I do similar to what JP does but I do give allowances because it's how we learn about money and management of it. It sinks in alot more when it's their money. If someone has been whiney and grumpy about doing their chores that week, they don't get their allowance, even though they still have to do their chores or suffer natural consequences. They understand this, and it rarely happens. My kids (6 and 12) only have to make beds daily, but otherwise don't have to keep her room neat and clean everyday. However, they can have a friend over when it's picked up, so there's an incentive to stay on top of it. I also try to give them a lot of positive feedback for doing chores, so they realize what a help they are to me. For instance, my 12 year old son recently took on the task of doing the dinner dishes in the evening. This has been a real blessing for me and I continue to let him know it; he's very pleased to think he's helping shoulder some of the work of the home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page