Is this quote offensive?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 05-11-2007, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know the first time I ever saw that I thought to myself "OH MY GOSH HOW TRUE THAT IS". I LOVE IT. Makes me laugh...... and true- so true.
#32 of 49 Old 05-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple living mama View Post
I think it can be construed as elitist.
I agree with this.

That being said, I think it's very funny (and very true!).
#33 of 49 Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 PM

Not offensive but not at all in line with my philosophy. I love my village.

It also kind of sounds like you're homeschooling because you're afraid of letting your child interact with the world.
#34 of 49 Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 PM

I like it, and I think it's true for us. To me it doesn't mean wanting to shelter your children from the larger world or the "village," it means you don't want the village controlling your children or your family. I want my kids to be exposed to all kinds of people and all kinds of ideas (as age appropriate), but I don't want them to be forced to conform or assimilate into the village mainstream as happens in public schools. I don't need the state/society/village telling me or my children how to think. I think that's the sentiment being tapped into with that saying, nothing to do with isolation or Republicans.
#35 of 49 Old 05-12-2007, 01:51 PM

Not offensive at all. I'm LOL at it!
#36 of 49 Old 05-12-2007, 02:30 PM

well I think it's funny. But I didn't see it as a dig against the Clintons, but I thank Joan for bringing that up.

As far as HSing to keep my kids away from society, actually that was a primary consideration. Frankly I don't like most of the stuff I see at happening at schools, they are their own society and one that I don't agree with. The conformity, the bullying, the attitudes, the competition. The fact that the school district acts like their own your kids. So yeah, I don't want that "village" raising my kids.
#37 of 49 Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 AM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
I have had it in my email signature line for a couple months, most people get a kick out of it, if they are offended, they keep it to themselves well

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
#38 of 49 Old 05-13-2007, 02:00 AM

I posted earlier that I thought it was funny.

It seems as though the quote puts the "village" in the context of homeschool vs public school. I take the "village" to mean governement-run, schools rife with corporatization. I'm all for my child being exposed to people/cultures/points of view different from mine. However, there are many ways of thinking I don't want subtly (sometimes not so subtly) and consistently reinforced through questionable curricula via the "village".
#39 of 49 Old 05-13-2007, 02:40 AM

*I* don't think it's offensive....because I agree with it 100000%!
#40 of 49 Old 05-13-2007, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
I was thinking, though, that if that bumper sticker was next to the "Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot." that could be a whole 'nother thing.
: omg- that's too funny....!!! And, I don't find the original saying offensive but I can see how others would take it as such.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#41 of 49 Old 05-13-2007, 11:47 PM

Well, I can see how some people could decide to take offense at it... but I'm tempted to steal it to use on another forum anyway
#42 of 49 Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post
Not offensive but not at all in line with my philosophy. I love my village.

It also kind of sounds like you're homeschooling because you're afraid of letting your child interact with the world.
Nope, I was taking the village as the government or government-run schools. Kids spent a LOT of time at school these days. A LOT. I don't want them raising my kids..But I don't want my kids interacting too much with "the world" until they're strong enough to say no to things that are wrong. They're exposed to people who are different than them, have different beliefs, etc. They interact with the world but under my discretion (what I deem appropriate for them at their ages). If that makes sense. I've seen what goes on in many 1st grade classrooms and I don't want my kids exposed to some of those things until they're a little stronger in their beliefs. Hope I'm making sense here!!

We are not the type to shelter from anything and everything. We're just cautious. I was exposed to some awful things as a public school kid. Things I'd rather my kids not experience.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#43 of 49 Old 05-14-2007, 12:51 AM

It started as an inherently anti-US-liberal statement, and you really can't wash that away.

If you're comfortable with giving off that impression, go for it

babyf.gif

#44 of 49 Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 AM

I think it's funny and very tongue and cheek. If someone is offended by that; well maybe they don't have a sense of humor.
#45 of 49 Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 AM

I hope I'm doing this quote thingy right. Right now, I'm just a public school teacher, not a parent. But this quote gives me confidence in people who do homeschool.
[I love the diversity of opinions and experiences the whole world has to offer.

To me, the quote seems to imply that you are homeschooling to avoid having your children exposed to opinions and ideas besides the ones you want to teach them... that you're homeschooling to keep them away from the world. I suppose that I would identify more with the village than with you, and some people might take it to mean that you think you're better than everyone else... I dunno. I wouldn't feel offended, but I would probably feel the need to assure people that not all homeschoolers believe that, if it was mentioned somewhere...

dar[/QUOTE]
#46 of 49 Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
I saw this elsewhere and wanted to put it it my siggie..It is too offensive??

"We homeschool because we've seen the village, and don't want it raising our children!"

Ok... so I am a little slow to catch on, bc I immediately thought of the movie, the village... ... now that I understand, I think that it is funny and I need that as a bumper sticker... and modified versions...

... and to be honest, LJ is only 11 months... but I like it bc there are some folks in our village with some abusive tendencies, and we had to rearrange the village. Meaning, my stepfather has a drinking problem, so I dont spend too much time with him... he is definately a village member or an example of a village member that I not interested in having raising my son.

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#47 of 49 Old 05-16-2007, 02:50 AM

i don't care for it. it's certainly not accurate for us, and i don't like promoting homeschooling through the use of negativity.

to elaborate in part:
as a homeschooling family, we DO get more contact with our "village." and i like that. i do not think that children tend to get as much guidance from adults in schools, and that same-age peers have an unnatural amount of influnce. that combination leads more to children raising eachother (raising used loosely), than the village raising the children.
#48 of 49 Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 PM

I like it, but I like my sig quote better

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
#49 of 49 Old 05-17-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
"We homeschool because we've seen the village, and don't want it raising our children!"
Well, I'm not offended...

But I see what I and other hsers are doing as creating our own village!

Kind of like Family of Choice versus Family of Origin, to borrow recovery terms.

Village of Choice. Oooooooo, I LIKE that!!!! I am going to be using that from now on!!!! Hsers are creating a Village of Choice! And it has a lovely double meaning...

Mama to two amazing homeschooling boys born in 1999 and 2002

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page