Rosetta Stone tech question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2007, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you buy Rosetta Stone, are you allowed/able to install it on more than one computer in your house? We want to get it, but have multiple computers and want to know if we'd be able to install it on all of them. Thanks!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 AM

I'd contact Rosetta Stone and ask. But, first I'd make really sure there is no way to you can access the program free through a library. Many libraries have it on their database program so you can do the program online and it is exactly the same thing as what you'd buy.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:36 PM

This is what my user agreement says:

A. Personal Edition Users (standalone): If you received the personal edition of the Rosetta Stone software (denoted by the A after the version number printed on the front of the application CD-Rom and by *personal Edition* if your printed packing slip) the license granted to you by Fairfield gives you the right to install and execute the Rosetta Stone application software on the hard drive or other storage device of you personal computer for your personal use and the personal use of the members of your household. The application disc may be retained for bakcup. You may not make an additional backup copy of the application disc or language disc. In case either disc us damaged you may return it to Fairfield for a replacement upon your payment of applicable shipping costs. This agreement does not allow the Rosetta Stone Software date software to be executed on more then one computer at a time. You may not make Rosetta Stone Software available over a network where it could dbe used by multiple computers.

B. Online Edition Users: If you have purchased online access to the Rosetta Stone Software (Rosetta Stone Online) the license granted by Fairfield gives you and the members of your household use of Rosetta Stone Online from any workstation matching System Requirements for language learning purposes only. http://www.rosettastone.com/home/support/sysreq/online

So it looks like no for the personal edition but maybe yes for online?

FTR I bought the homeschool version and it does have the A after the version number.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Jen, thank you for typing that out for me. It sounds like we would only legally be able to install it on one of our computers, which kind of stinks. I will email them though and ask. I can't imagine there aren't families out there that buy it for homeschooling who have a couple computers in the family and don't use it on all of them ... not that that justifies installing it on multiple computers against the UA, but you'd think they might realize that families have more than one computer in the house.

Roar, I am not sure if my library system has it or not, but ultimately we want our own copy so we have the ability to use it when we wish and not around our library's schedule; plus I will be using it not only for dh, myself, and our boys, but my nieces will be using it when they are here during the week. So, dragging us all to the library to take turns just doesn't work logistically.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:13 PM

They make a homeschooling edition which may be different than the personal edition???
Old 05-12-2007, 02:17 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
You are legally able to use it on only one computer at a time. It is perfectly possible to install it on, say, both the upstairs and downstairs computer, and use one or the other (but not both) at any particular moment in time. We have RS Latin and my daughter is the only one who uses it. She has installed it on two different computers without any difficulty. As I read the user license this is perfectly acceptable -- it doesn't say it can't be installed on two computers at the same time, only that it can't be executed on two at the same time.

From a tech standpoint, it's certainly not a problem to do.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 PM

We have had an online sibscription and you can log in on any computor, not sure about the cd versions.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post

Roar, I am not sure if my library system has it or not, but ultimately we want our own copy so we have the ability to use it when we wish and not around our library's schedule; plus I will be using it not only for dh, myself, and our boys, but my nieces will be using it when they are here during the week. So, dragging us all to the library to take turns just doesn't work logistically.
Just to clarify, how it works is that libraries purchase it as a database. As a patron you have free access from your home. You log on and use it. It will keep track of where you are in the lessons and so forth just like if you were using it on CDROM. The only difference is that you need internet access and the program is free to you. I hope I'm explaining that okay. We are able to access exactly the same thing as what we'd get paying the disks, but we get it online through the library. So, we are limited by the library's schedule we can log on anytime 24/7.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
Just to clarify, how it works is that libraries purchase it as a database. As a patron you have free access from your home. You log on and use it. It will keep track of where you are in the lessons and so forth just like if you were using it on CDROM. The only difference is that you need internet access and the program is free to you. I hope I'm explaining that okay. We are able to access exactly the same thing as what we'd get paying the disks, but we get it online through the library. So, we are limited by the library's schedule we can log on anytime 24/7.
How awesome! I had no idea that was even a possibility. I'll have to ask our library and also the neighboring city's library (where our city has priviledges, if that makes sense ... basically they will give us free library cards for living in our city at their library). I will definitely check into that on Monday. I'm sorry for misunderstanding ... I thought it would be something that would be offered only while at the library.

User Tag List