Intro and 5 in a Row question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-12-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and will hopefully be new to homeschooling soon! My son is scheduled to start K this year and we are working on a plan to be able to hs.

First, all of the curriculum and plan options are so overwhelming! I feel like I have been researching for such a long time, and then I find something completely new and start over! :

The 'system' I am most drawn to for my style and my children's personalities (my 3 year old will be 4 just after school starts and she will be home, hopefully participating as well) is "5 in a Row." I love the idea of a literature-based plan and the paths that can be made from a book to every other topic out there. I can see it working for my family and I think it will help engage them in a love of learning.

However...reviews are hard to come by. I seem to find positive ones, but I don't *know* the people using them. So...among other like-minded folks, are there any 5 in a Row'ers here? If so, what can you tell me about it? I'd love some honest opinions!

ETA: I tried to do a forum search but didn't get any matches. If it's been discussed before, links to those discussions would be appreciated as well

Thanks,
ALBC

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#2 of 11 Old 05-12-2007, 12:22 PM

#3 of 11 Old 05-12-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I had tried "Five in a Row" and "5 in a Row" but never thought to try FIAR. Oops

Thanks again!

#4 of 11 Old 05-12-2007, 12:48 PM

When my first child was young, I was very drawn to FIAR, too. I just knew it would be perfect for us! Unfortunately, I find the ideas for the stories odd and rather abstract. My kids have never enjoyed them. But it's a good booklist!

dm
#5 of 11 Old 05-12-2007, 01:10 PM

We use FIAR. We really like it. Some book ideas are better than others but in general we really like the program. Sometimes I look at an idea in the manual and think, "Where the heck did they come up with that!?" But for the most part they pull some really interesting things out of the book that I might not have thought of. It is also a cheap curriculum. That is if you don't feel the need to own all of the titles: . LOL

Do you have any specific questions about it?

There is a FIAR message board at fiarhq.com (Just be aware it is very religious, in case that matters to you.) The archives over there are AWESOME.

ETA: My boys are 6 and 8
#6 of 11 Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 AM

I have FIAR volume 1, although I think we only rowed Mike Mulligan, Ping, Madeline, and The Rag Coat.

I think if you were the type who really liked to prepare it would be awesome. Me, I'm too lazy. For example, for The Rag Coat (for those who haven't read it the story is very "Coat of Many Colors" by Dolly Parton inspired) you could teach your kids about Appalaichan (can't remember how to spell that) culture, poverty, coal mines, quilting (and the geometry that goes with it), empathy, etc. It's got beautiful artwork and a good, although sad, message.

So if you had the time and inclination to spend some time at the library looking for related materials you could really pack a lot of punch into FIAR. I think that it's the kind of the thing that is as good as *you* make it, kwim?

FWIW it's cheap and worth having, even if you're just going to use it for a few weeks or as a once-in-a-while thing or whatever. I got my copy off of ebay for about $18 with shipping, so it was worth buying it.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#7 of 11 Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

THanks, everyone! I have checked out their forum, but it's so happy/perky that I think I can only handle small doses. *laughing* I've been trying to get to the archives, but I have to be registered, so I did...but now am stuck while waiting for approval. I'll keep trying because I definitely want to see them! They are also changing webhosts, I think, and some links aren't working. I emailed them and he replied that they should be ready in a few weeks. In the meantime, though, I can't see the sample lessons or anything.

For those of you with 2 (or more) ages, is it easy to include both in one lesson? It seems like it would, so I would love to hear more about that. frogguruami, you seem to have the same spacing, so that gives me hope

Sasha_girl, thanks for the example of the links to the books. I was really curious abot how books would lead to social studies, math, history, etc... I'm an analyst by trade, so I am one of those super-organized and love-to-do-prep work people. I guess I'll be able to keep those skills current when I trade in this day job for my new one

I've been bidding on volume 1 on Ebay, so hopefully I'll win one and be able to see for myself what it looks like!

Thanks everyone!
albc

#8 of 11 Old 05-13-2007, 12:24 PM

We do everything together. My younger son takes what he can and wants from the lessons. We also put together lapbooks for each of the books. When you register for the message boards you have to do it with your name. You can not use a call sign. So if you used the same user name there as you are using here they will not approve you.: Once I figured that out I was approved shortly.

Everyone uses FIAR differently. Some people use it as the bulk of their curriculum and only supplement with a phonics and math program. Others, like me, don't depend on FIAR as the bulk. You really can do either. There is enough in FIAR that you don't need anything else (except phonics and math).
#9 of 11 Old 05-13-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
When you register for the message boards you have to do it with your name. You can not use a call sign. So if you used the same user name there as you are using here they will not approve you.:
Good to know. Seems silly, but so be it. I will try to re-register today.

I love your lapbooks! I am fascinated by the idea that we'll be able to make something like that

#10 of 11 Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleBitCrunchy View Post
For those of you with 2 (or more) ages, is it easy to include both in one lesson? It seems like it would, so I would love to hear more about that.
Very easy. My kids are 1 1/2 years apart and we rowed vol 1-3.

We used FIAR years ago and recently one of my DDs said she wanted to do it again because it was one of her very favorite things that we've ever done. I'll be ordering vol 4 this week.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#11 of 11 Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
Very easy. My kids are 1 1/2 years apart and we rowed vol 1-3.

We used FIAR years ago and recently one of my DDs said she wanted to do it again because it was one of her very favorite things that we've ever done. I'll be ordering vol 4 this week.
FYI VOl. 4 is now out of print. The authors are now going to do digital downloads on their site for the VOl. 4 units.

I am going to be doing some FIAR, and the kids and I like what we have done so far. I have to say, the only frustrating thing is that some of the books used are out of print. I think the ones for Volume 1 are all available though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page