Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 127 Old 05-18-2007, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
You said, "...Education should always be balanced so students are not brainwashed. Don't we want our children to come to complex and sophisticated conclusions on their own? I thought indoctrination was something we were trying to move away from." You're absolutely right. I treasure my child's individuality too much to have it crushed by a crowd of Hollister-wearing Mean Girls on a prepubescent rampage. I treasure my child's individuality so much that if she ever goes to school before college, it will not be until well after the bold outlines and many of the supporting details of her personality are completely filled in by her, and until the foundation of her personality is dry and structures she designs can be built upon it safely.
You put that so beautifully. I remember before I had decided to homeschool, I didn't want my kids to go to school until they were 8 or 9 for just this reason. I have been fascinated with watching my children's personalities emerge. I don't want them to be assimilated.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#123 of 127 Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 AM

My niece, who is finishing up her first year of public school in Kindergarten, recently instructed her Mom to throw away all her My Little Ponies and other really girl toys. I guess the toys aren't cool. I cannot fathom my son abruptly asking us to throw away a bunch of toys that he previously enjoyed. My niece and my son are the same age, but he seems so much younger than her in many ways. The public schooled kids I know (the 5 year olds!) seem very worldly and very conscious of how others perceive them. My 5 year old, good or bad, is kind of oblivious to how other people perceive him. Nothing is getting in the way of him using the toys he wants. Yesterday, he was pushing a baby stroller around the house.

Whenever we're with other kids, he seems so much younger, because he does lack that worldly quality and he doesn't care about "cool" yet. Sometimes, it bothers me because I worry he'll stand out so much. But there are lots of kids in our homeschool group like this so he's in good company. My husband says that it's "natural", because he's free to develop his sense of self without peer pressure yet. Sometimes, it concerns me (I should create a spin-off thread). But at any rate, peer pressure starts in Kindergarten!
#124 of 127 Old 05-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Okay, I have been lurking in the hs/us forum for a while, but since my ds is only 14 months, I haven't spoken up. However, dh and I have known that we were going to hs (only recently learning more about us) since before we were married, and I have known it for, well, ever. I have long been having this discussion with family and friends.

I know that hs/us families are not defensive about their decisions, just defending them against common arguments in an effort to educate, but even then sometimes I think we should all just say:

"The burden is on you to justify the terrible educational and social outcomes of your failed system of "education," which has been quite successful, actually, at achieving its original aims. Meanwhile, I will be attempting to create exceptional opportunities for my children, as "normal" (per ps definition) doesn't really cut it."

I could probably be more articulate, but so many others here have done such a good job, in thread after thread, of explaining the specifics.
#125 of 127 Old 05-18-2007, 03:50 PM

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacesmum View Post

"The burden is on you to justify the terrible educational and social outcomes of your failed system of "education," which has been quite successful, actually, at achieving its original aims. Meanwhile, I will be attempting to create exceptional opportunities for my children, as "normal" (per ps definition) doesn't really cut it."
#126 of 127 Old 05-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annab View Post
I don't know...my favorite bumper stickers says: Question Authority but not your Mother :-0
I LOVE THAT!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#127 of 127 Old 05-19-2007, 06:52 PM

I've never had to publically state my stance on homeschooling simply because I have a mother that makes me do that everyday!

Here's my take:

1) My son is 13. He was bullied/beat up and has been since 6th grade. His grades started slipping, we did tutoring, talked to teachers, counselors, and principal after principal and had no luck in the bullying. We pulled him out of school and he's been fine. The reason we homeschool is also because we travel a lot and it gives us a chance to travel as a family as opposed to my husband going all over alone.

2) We live in an extremely diverse community and come from the San Francisco area, which, if you don't know, is a melting pot. Now, he has Italian, Mexican, German, and African-American friends and he socializes just fine with them. We don't look down upon kids that are in public or private school because their "mileage may vary." Nothing is cookie-cutter in our eyes.

3) My daughter is 4 and we're planning to homeschool her for her entire schooling. We won't put her through the system because it's our choice not to. It's what works for us and we're actually scared for her to attend the local schools, so we're opting out.

4) I'm an ex-public school teacher. I saw it all with my own eyes and that alone scared me. Is every school like that? No way. No way would I insinuate that. What works for me and my own family doesn't work for all.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page