Does such a curriculum exist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-18-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking into getting a curriculum to start with my dd in September. She was 7 in March, so will be 7 1/2. Here in the UK she would be in year 3.

I have tried devising my own stuff but, I have Rupp's book. But whilst I can come up with ideas of things to learn about, it is the delivery; or how shall we do this that I struggle with. Maths education is another struggle- trying to cover the details but making it fun.

So here is what I am looking for:
~ Holistic, addressing the spiritual nature of children.
~ Academics being introduced similar to when her peers are learning stuff. (I tried the Waldorf approach with reading and dh is not happy that she only started last Sept). I.E. not as laid back as Christopherus, but not as fast paced as TWTM.
~ Using a variety of methods to teach info (with paper work/ worksheets being least favoured)
~ Not rigid- flexible.
~ Help with topic ideas and how to do them.

Does such a thing exist?

Amanda treehugger.gif , UK Mum, married to airline pilot Davesurf.gif . Mum to Emily blahblah.gif (20), Jasmine  dust.gif(11) and Theo fencing.gif(7):

#2 of 16 Old 05-18-2007, 07:49 PM

Have you looked at Oak Meadow? It sounds like it might fit the bill.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 16 Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sounds like Oak Meadow would be a good bet to me, too.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 16 Old 05-18-2007, 09:10 PM

I'd say Oak Meadow as well, or an eclectic mix.
#5 of 16 Old 05-18-2007, 10:03 PM

Oak Meadow is not flexilble. Enki is all those things you listed and flexible

http://www.enkieducation.org

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#6 of 16 Old 05-18-2007, 10:28 PM

Lol, I was thinking oak meadow and enki (maybe a combo of both, this is what we are thinking about doing) sounds like what you are looking for. Looks like everyone here was thinking about the same thing.
#7 of 16 Old 05-18-2007, 11:55 PM

Actually, there's quite a bit of flexibility built into Oak Meadow - it is definitely not what I'd define as "structured" especially in comparrison with most of the "structured" curriculums out there. We use both OM and Enki here.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#8 of 16 Old 05-19-2007, 12:16 AM

Enki currently only goes up to second grade. Not sure how that compares to year 3 in the UK.

I think Oak Meadow would be a good fit.

dm
#9 of 16 Old 05-19-2007, 12:37 AM

School in the UK starts at age 4, with no kindergarden year, so year 3 would be equivalent, probably, to around grade 2.

My family is all in Northern Ireland, and I do know that learning is accelerated there, my parents were appaled to know we weren't learning division until, gasp, grade 4, and my mom spent part of my grade 3 spring break teaching me long division.

You might then, Mand, not be totally happy with a grade 2 curriculum. Depends on how much you want to keep to the same timetable your dd's peers are doing in school.
#10 of 16 Old 05-19-2007, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

I think dd would be in grade 2 this September if she were in USA.

I love the look of Enki, but it concerns me that it ends at grade 2, what are you supposed to do then? I wish it went all through the grades!!

I looked at Oak Meadow (sale on right now!!) and it looks good, the maths side in grade 2 however seems to be too easy for my dd though, not sure whether grade 3 would be a better fit. How does Oak Meadow teach mathematical concepts?

It is so hard to choose and then I wounder if I should just pull my finger out and use all my Christopherus/WTM/Rupp stuff to plan for next year during the summer buying in resources I need : But that would be so much work!! The one downside to the Waldorf stuff is that dd seems to find the whole drawing and colouring in laborious.

Amanda treehugger.gif , UK Mum, married to airline pilot Davesurf.gif . Mum to Emily blahblah.gif (20), Jasmine  dust.gif(11) and Theo fencing.gif(7):

#11 of 16 Old 05-20-2007, 05:13 PM

this is free and you can look at it, www.amblesideonline.org

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#12 of 16 Old 05-20-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand View Post
I looked at Oak Meadow (sale on right now!!) and it looks good, the maths side in grade 2 however seems to be too easy for my dd though, not sure whether grade 3 would be a better fit. How does Oak Meadow teach mathematical concepts?

Does Oak MEadow let you advance a level in math? I *think* that you can do that, don't quote me on it, though.
#13 of 16 Old 05-20-2007, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is why I'm assembling my own curriculum. There is no one curriculum that suits the needs of my children in all subjects. It just doesn't work. Check out www.rainbowresource.com, it has tons of books and curriculums available. I did a lot of research before I decided on the different things we are using. We are using Explode the Code and various little readers for phonics, A Reason for Handwriting for printing, Horizons for Math, ScienceWorks for Science (plus the Usborne book of Experiments), and Story of the World plus the Usborne Book of World History for history. We also have a Bible curriculum I've made up for the summer (during the year they go to AWANA which is a Christian kids club and we follow their books from there). It really isn't that hard to make your own curriculum and you are able to fit it to what your child needs. What if your child is really ahead in math but behind in reading? You don't want to buy a grade 2 curriculum and make them do math that's too easy for them or reading that's too hard. I started doing that but then realized that the beauty of homeschooling is that I can tailor it to suit their needs.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#14 of 16 Old 05-20-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Check out www.rainbowresource.com, it has tons of books and curriculums available.

Rainbow Resource is awesome. Their catalog is bigger than my phone book!
#15 of 16 Old 05-21-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for al your help. I agreel, that the beauty of homeschooling is you can tailor it to your child. I tried some pages of Singapore maths with dd and she found it boring. Then I did a Waldorf puppet show to tell her the story of the maths processes using 2 teddy squirrels and an owl and she loved it, she is still talking about it a week later. It seems the more fun, imaginative hands on it is, she lights up and loves it.

I think I will use Rupp's book for a guide as what level to pitch things at and this also gives me some kind of systematic progression that I am looking for. So when I see a concept that I feel we should cover then I will dig out my resources such as Peggy Kaye, Marylin Burns, Christopherus books for ideas on delivery.

So far:

For Literacy we are doing Handwriting Without Tears, Jolly Grammar and Peggy Kaye's Games for Writing. Reading Reflex and reader books.

For Numeracy I am unsure what I am going to use- Rupp for a guide what to cover then lots of maths with manipulative's. Concrete stuff first, real life maths and games (Kaye's games for math and some of Burns' books).

History is either Story of The World or Rupp's schedule.

Geography - Rupp's ideas

Science - Projects- I am guessing Rupp and lots of fun experiments.

I just need to lay enough down in a plan now to take me to the summer then use the summer to plan for the new academic year. Sometimes I feel like a teacher

#16 of 16 Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 AM

http://www.laurelsprings.com/

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page