Mothering Forum banner

Anyone else's new readers doing this?

387 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jessy1019 
#1 ·
My daughter (4.5) has been reading phonetically for a while now, but in the past couple months, she's started speaking this way . . . ie: I use a word as part of a sentence and she repeats the word back phonetically . . . ex: I ask her something about her hairbrush and she'll repeat, "buh-ruh-uh-shhh". I'm sure it's connected to her new reading abilities (she's also started writing out words that she can sound out and is really surprising me with the things she's come up with), but it's kind of odd and can be grating when she does it a lot. She does it when she's playing or talking to herself as well.

Anyone else's kids do this?

#2 ·
my ds did this before he could read- sort of. He would sound out words trying to spell them- cementing them in his mind. I would look at something like spell to write and read or something like that to help her cement the words and how to spell them and that might help with the vocalization of it.

#3 ·
I'll have to look for that.

She's getting remarkably good at sounding out words to write them -- bringing us letters and things all the time lately -- but she might enjoy something that focuses on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.