subbing, I'll write more later
#32 of 47 Old 06-20-2007, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamasBoys View Post
Jen, I can't get your link to work?
http://www.gwc.edu I didn't realise I added the .com on the end!

:
#33 of 47 Old 06-20-2007, 03:58 PM

We are also starting in the Fall. I will be HSing my 5 and almost 4 year old at the time
I have picked out a few things already and DH and I are looking forward to doing some shopping next month. We are lucky to have a few homeschooling stores in our city.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#34 of 47 Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarasheika View Post
hello~
will also be starting to homeschool dd-6 in the fall with a classical/charlotte mason approach.
thanks for all the support here!

mamarasheika
Same here, but dd1 will be 5 in December. We'll start with a twaddle-free literature approach (a la Charlotte Mason) as well as continuing Singapore Math and doing a lot more hands-on science (Young Scientist club with lots of supplements and books).
#35 of 47 Old 07-05-2007, 03:07 PM

Hi There,
I will be starting this fall with my DD who is 5. I love the idea of unschooling but I really need some structure in my days so am really drawn to the Oak Meadow and Enki curriculum's. I just can't decide. I love what I read about Enki but the price is slowing me down I like the fact that Oak meadow is available second hand.
I just ordered the Oak Meadow k-3 Teacher manuals second hand so I will see how they look.
I would appreciate any feedback from those that already have either of those curriculum's.
#36 of 47 Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 PM

We've made the decision to HS in the fall. Now I'm on the hunt for a curriculum. I'm going to a sale on Saturday so I'm hoping to find something there. If not, I think I'm going to order Oak Meadow. I've been looking on Ebay but of course they don't have 1st grade. Are there some other complete curriculums out there that are secular that someone would recommend?

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#37 of 47 Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 PM

There's a yahoo groups called waldorfcurriculum-supplies. A variety of waldorf- related items comes through there...
#38 of 47 Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think someone had OM 1st grade for sale on the trading post here......I noticed someone has the pk curriculum on there now, if anyone is interested (I am a bit of a tp addict )

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#39 of 47 Old 07-06-2007, 12:44 PM

I've been researching Charlotte Mason for my dd too. She turning 4 in just a few days! I've decided to start her on some Kindergarten books in August. I guess I use a bit of the unschooling techniques, we do lessons only as long as she wants. Some times its 10 minutes of phonics, other times she'll spend hours doing workbooks. And she is always pulling out books for me to read to her.

So far I've ordered phonics, math, and handwriting workbooks. I have to be very selective though, she is still just developing her hand-eye coordination. Some require more writing than others.

I'm so excited that she loves "school" so much. I love reading stories to her. She absorbs so much from them and will tell them back to us when we least expect it. That's why I believe CM is a the right approach for us.
#40 of 47 Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 PM

We are new too. It's great to see so many people homeschooling. DD is 4 so I really have another year to play around with hsing. DS is 22months.

Right now we do looks of games, Letter Factory, Word factory, Reading in 100Easy lessons and BFIAR. Lots os art projects and playdates.
#41 of 47 Old 07-07-2007, 03:43 AM

Hi everyone! We are newbies to HSing as well. I have an almost 5 year old that will be starting K this year. We have been active in an amazing local homeschool support group for the past year, but haven't done anything official yet. Just learning whenever and whatever she has been interested in. We have weekly park days and lots of social events, academic fair, art fair, it is awesome. She has enjoyed meeting other families that homeschool and proudly tells people she will be homeschooled now. Before she wasn't so sure of it since everyone we knew went to school.

We will be using Rocket Phonics and Starfall for reading, Handwriting without tears, Math U See Primer and Singapore math, What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know and Story of the World. We also are using Rebecca Rupp's Homelearning Year by Year as a guide/checklist and a lot of the resources listed. We will be reading a lot of books, in English and Spanish as well. We are a bilingual family but have decided to teach reading in English first, since the resources are more readily available and go to Spanish soon after. I read to her in both right now. She loves Junie B. Jones in Spanish.

I am just finishing up getting 1st quarter planned. We will be doing 4 9 week quarters, with 2 weeks off in between each, then 2 weeks off and a 6 week summer session (with just math and reading/writing and whatever she chooses to learn over summer), another 2 weeks off and then we will be ready for the new school year. We will of course see how it worked.

My plan is math, reading/phonics and writing daily, for 15 minutes each to start and then history/geography one day, science another, literature another and music/art on another. Fridays are our park days with our HSing group, so just reading on that day unless she wants to do something else.

Of course, this could all change after a few weeks. We are both new at this and will just go with the flow. I am not really a scheduler, and though we live where laws are very flexible, I want to have good records, just in case.

Looking forward to reading others posts! Subscribing now!
#42 of 47 Old 07-07-2007, 04:15 AM

Dd loves Starfall. While I'm getting totally burnt out on hearing the ABC song for 3 hours in a row : , I have realized that it (the song) as well as the site have gotten her to start recognizing letters she remembers.

She'll also repeat (on occasion) the phonic sound that goes with the letter (if she remembers the letter.) I can't wait til she's ready to move on to reading (but that's mostly because I'm beginning to hate the "ABC" song... )

I'm attending a local hs'ing conference next month that has a number of early child ed workshops. There's also a used curriculum sale. I can't wait to see what offered. We have OM pre-k to start off with, but if we got lucky and found some Enki K materials... :
#43 of 47 Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Hello we will begin HSing in the fall!!! We have a Kindergartener and a 2nd grader. We are so excited!!! We are doing an online program.
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#44 of 47 Old 07-08-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia9178 View Post
Hello we will begin HSing in the fall!!! We have a Kindergartener and a 2nd grader. We are so excited!!! We are doing an online program.
Alicia
Which program are you doing? My BIL/SIL/nephew/niece are stationed overseas and looking at hsing. An online program would prob. work well for them (portability).

Thanks in advance.

Carey
#45 of 47 Old 07-10-2007, 01:32 AM

I will be homeschooling for the first time this fall! I am extremely excited, my son is 6 years old and in the first grade.
I feel bad for what he had to go through in kindergarten. First of all, I've always wanted to homeschool my children, but I didn't know where to start, so I put him in a charter school. The school had issues. The children were learning, but they had staffing issues. His first teacher left, he got a new teacher. Then after spring break they ran out of money and they had to find a public school to go to! I was very upset. My son has been through enough.
I'm his teacher now! I am going to use my own curriculum, which is comprised of some free classic books, some purchased classic books, and whatever else I find fit. We will have some fun this year, and until he hits college, which is the way it should be.
#46 of 47 Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
We will be using Rocket Phonics and Starfall for reading, Handwriting without tears, Math U See Primer and Singapore math, What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know and Story of the World. We also are using Rebecca Rupp's Homelearning Year by Year as a guide/checklist and a lot of the resources listed. ......

Hi Mariposa (and everyone else),

These past six months I've had a real change of heart regarding homeschooling philosophies. I've gone from thinking we should be radical unschoolers to now understanding that a structured, classical education (with LOTS of science thrown in) works MUCH better for our family.

I've gone over and over Core Knowledge and the WTM, as well as looking at the Accelerated Achievement documents. I really like what I see.

So, here's the plan...we already do 75% of this every day right now (dd1 craves struture and is very bright...she'll be Kindy age in December).

Each of these activities run from 10-15 minutes daily.

I read to her (Ambleside Year O readings and/or Core Knowledge suggestions...they often overlap).

She reads to me (she's at a third grade level now) from McGuffey's readers.

Singapore Math

Handwriting Without Tears (this takes 5 minutes usually)

Chemistry (Real Science 4 Kids Pre-Level 1)

Young Scientist Club activity OR CK science suggestions

Spanish (20 minutes daily, songs, bingo, activities)

ASL (10 minutes daily, using ASL Pro online)

MTuW Chinese (30 minute Mei Mei or Jade DVD...my kids LOVE these!)

Th F Sa French (15-20 minutes Rosetta Stone)

art (appreciation -- 5 minutes, creation -- as much time as they want)

music (singing songs -- as much time as they want, usually 15 minutes or so. Appreciation -- 15 minutes of my playing something specific while we're in the car)

handicrafts (wood working, learning how to tie shoes, helping me fix plumbing, dust, cook, whatever else comes in handy on a practical basis)

geography

American history

copywork using common phrases and saying -- 5 minutes every other day

This seems like a lot written down, but again, we're doing most of that right now and it feels relaxed and enjoyable. All of it should take 3 and a half hours each day, spread out throughout the day. I'm making sure at least 3-4 hours are scheduled in each day for outdoor time, preferably in nature (ocean, farm, hiking, etc.)

Dd1 is also starting Suzuki violin, continuing soccer and swim lessons, and joining a Mandarin-speaking playgroup. Then there's meeting up with friends 2 or three times a week (including weekends). And fitting a few things for dd2 in as well.

We'll see how doing all that feels, and we'll cut back where (if) necessary.

ETA: I plan on doing three weeks on, one week off, year-round.
#47 of 47 Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 AM

I'll be a newbie. I've hung out here at the HS folder for over a yr now, but we aren't, "officially" starting until this autumn. My oldest is 3.5 yrs old, he's all into the idea of school, so we will do preschool at home. We'll be using OM K (he already knows his alphabet and almost all of the sounds), and then of course there will be lots of playtime and manipulatives too.

My HS philosophy is really loose right now. I'm definitely eclectic and I think that we will have some sort of structure, but won't hesitate to be relaxed. I'm not quite ready to go full blown unschooling yet. Anyway, I'm attracted to so many different types of HSing, I think I'll take the best of each one and apply it to my kids' needs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page