Fall 2007 Newbie HS thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone! I love reading all of the posts from the "veteran" homeschool Moms, but I'd also really enjoy getting to know others who are going to be new to homeschool this year.

I have three boys (9, 7, and 19 months.) I've already decided that HS is in my youngest's future for sure. But BOTH of my older kids are having huges problems with public school. My oldest son (will be in 4th grade this next year) is practically being pushed out of public school because they can't seem to deal with his behavioral issues. I just took the plunge and enrolled him in the K12 program today. K12 is not my favorite curriculum, but for year 1 I need something free and structured while I tread water and figure things out.

Who else is going to be new? Let's support and encourage one another. I'd love to hear what you're doing. Especially if you have a to-be 4th grader.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2007, 03:58 PM

Welcome to the HS board. I'm fairly new as we are deschooling now and will start doing more structured activities in the fall. We'll have to, it's going to be cold and wet.

I think that ALL 4th graders should be homeschooled! It's the hardest year with so much personal growth going on. Good for you for bringing him home. I was traumatized by 4th grade and whenever I talk about it others are like "me to! it was the worst year!" so, I'm not alone. I hope you love it as much as we are.

I have a 7yob, a 5yog and a 22 mob.
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 06-15-2007, 04:33 PM

Count me in! (I think. I hope!) I'm planning to start in the fall with a Charlotte Mason-based approach, although I also have lots of curriculum stuff because I've been researching and acquiring for awhile now. I'm using the summer as a kind of trial period, because I'm truly afraid I won't be able to handle the intensity. My DH is about to take on a second consulting job in addition to his FT job, and I work from home, so I have some doubts about my ability to factor HSing into our lives. But I do believe it's the best education I can give my DDs, so I'm going to do everything I can to make it work.

Looking forward to what the other newbies have to say!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 06-15-2007, 04:36 PM

I'll be a newbie too. I'll be starting with DD who is 5. I don't think I'll be able to HS the boys (long story). I'm still deciding on what type of curriculum I think she would do well with.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:45 AM

Not new to hsing, I've been "hsing" my sister for the last couple years but she is old enough that she does it all herself, I've just helped her get materials and shown her some things that she wouldn't have known about otherwise. I'm also hsing my kids, 3 yo and 2 yo. But I was wondering if you could post the link to the free K12 program? Thanks!

Mama to two boys and a girl.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:01 AM

Thanks for starting a newbie thread! I'll be starting my almost-14-year-old with Oak Meadow's 8th grade curriculum within the next 6 weeks or so. I am worried, excited, apprehensive, thrilled, and so many other simultaneous emotions. She's spent the last two school years in an international school, but after talking to one of her teachers last night about the problems in the school, I feel 1000% justified in my decision. I'm looking forward to sharing with everyone.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:00 PM

We will be hs/virtual schooling DS (8) for third grade next year. DH is more comfortable with this option and the accountability required with it. I'd rather use a more classical/CM approach, but better this than the traditional B&M public school.

The girls (4 & 1) will be along for the ride; still deciding on phonics/reading program for 4 yr old and definately using FIAR.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:03 PM

We're new, too We'll be hsing ds beginning with first grade (he is 6). I can already tell that we'll be taking an eclectic approach, because that's the kind of gal I am But we're taking a classical approach to history for sure. We're all really excited. We've chosen to hs to have more time as a family and give our kids time to pursue other non-academic interests.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM

hello~
will also be starting to homeschool dd-6 in the fall with a classical/charlotte mason approach.
thanks for all the support here!

mamarasheika
Old 06-17-2007, 03:34 AM

Ooh! Count me in! We'll be starting this fall with dd1, who is 5. I'll be using a catholic/charlotte mason curriculum from Catholic Heritage Curriculum. It's really flexible, while still offering some structure, if that makes any sense!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 06-17-2007, 03:44 AM

We're also going to be starting up with homeschooling in the fall. DS is currently in grade 1 and we'll make the switch once he's done. We made our decision back in January and I'm getting quite excited as we get closer to September.

I don't really have a specific approach planned out yet. I'm read some Charlotte Mason stuff and it seems neat, and I've got friends who unschool and I think that's kind of cool. What I have in mind is that we'll have structured mornings which include some book work but more along the lines of following DS's interests. I'm not planning on purchasing prepackaged curriculum, though I have been purchasing a wide variety of books.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
Old 06-17-2007, 01:50 PM

We're starting now with a more loose year round plan. We tend to travel several times a year, so knowing that we will school year round will give us more flexibility.

My boys are 6.75 and nearly 4. Thing 1 would be going into 1st grade in September if he were going to public school. I have a great friend who is also going to start homeschooling her daughter who would also be starting 1st, so I'm looking forward to having someone nearby in the trenches with me.

We've been going to a HS park day for the past year or so, but we've not really done anything "official" for kindergarten, just play and household stuff. So, I've developed a nice support network and am feeling better about getting down to brass tacks.

We've started Math U See and Thing 1 likes is. Thing 2 has joined in at times (we're starting with Primer), but it's a little harder for him because of the writing.

We're planning to do FIAR and Explode the Code. We'll be working around the park day, Thing 1's OT and other appointments - I'm really glad this year for the flexible schedule that homeschooling will give us while we get those things going.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 PM

We're newbies, too. My son would be starting kindergarten this year so it's time to start We're using FIAR and I'm really getting excited! We're busy researching, collecting ideas, setting up the house for it, changing work schedules, etc. We plan to do year round and we're starting in late August.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 AM

, HI!!! We are new also. We are starting with DD/ soon to be nine, she would have entered 4th in the fall. DS/4.5 will enter Pre-school, but I really think that he is would benefit fom leaning at home now. DH wants DD and me to have time together to "learn" how to Home School. I would really like to hear more about deschooling as I have been told that it could take a year to deschool DD. As for curriculum, so far I am liking the Classical take, I think we will both benefit from a structured curriculum to start, and then later we might move into unschooling. Nice to meet you all and thanx for starting this thread!

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

Old 06-18-2007, 02:58 AM

Hi!

This will be our first year of *officially* homeschooling, now that my oldest is the age to go to K. We are using a mix of Charlotte Mason and unschooling methods. We are using Ambleside Online, and started with their Year 0 last year, so we'll be doing Year 1 this year. So far it has been great!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Wow a lot of Charlotte Mason people! Neat! I'm doing K12 this year because it's free, but I hope to move into a more eclectic approach later.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 AM

Ah, new here, too. This fall I'll be hsing a 1st grader and doing A LITTLE preschool with my 3 and 2 yo (mostly reading books and doing art projects.

I am in love with the idea of doing Unit Studies and am going to use "Five In A Row" for most of our course work. I am debating over Singapore or Miquon Math. (I know, big difference!) and I like the idea of "Sing Spell Read and Write" phonics, but am not too keen on the price! OUCH! We are not formally doing any science or social studies, but it will be included in the FIAR program.

I am very excited, and very nervous about hsing. I am glad I have this forum for support.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:20 AM

I don't officially feel like a hs'er yet : ... dd will be 4 by Aug. and I have been reading and experimenting with Oak Meadow's pre-K package with her. I've also printed out the pre-k weather unit from Waldorf Homeschooling, and I've ordered the Midsummer Night Fairies unit from earth-school. I'm thinking of combining and trying some of these different curriculum out to see what works for us. I'm also interested in Enki and will be trying to purchase the Early Childhood guide by the end of summer. I've started to collect books here and there, not to mention I keep checking out different things. If it were entirely up to me, I'd prolly hs using an eclectic method that leaned toward Waldorf/ nature/ natural rhythms of life. But as I WOH full time and dh SAH, it's something that we'll need to agree upon. So I'm hoping this year will show him we can split some of the duties. Then when Kinder enrollment comes around, it'll be a part of our regular rhythms and he won't bother to mention enrolling her in PS.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 AM

I'll be starting homeschooling my 5yo ds for kindergarten this fall using the Enki curriculum. I'm very excited.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

Old 06-19-2007, 10:21 AM

I was thinking about FIAR for my 5 yr old as well. But there's so many choices, it's hard to decide.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I love Enki and Oak Meadow! I can't wait until I can start experimenting. I'm a total wannabe unschooler :P

Old 06-19-2007, 09:50 PM

i am new to hs'ing, but am really loving most of the waldorf stuff. enki is even more interesting, but man! it's high! does anyone have experience with it?
tell me more about fiar!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 AM

We are new to homeschooling too; my kids are 5 1/2, 3 1/2 and 1. I lean towards a classical approach and un-schooling. We will start with FIAR which i'll follow loosly along with some stuff from GWC (www.gwc.edu.com ) I want a curriculum while we are getting our feet wet but I doubt we will stick to it. For phonics we will be using phonics pathways and math is going to be very life experiance based. I did buy Family Math for Young Children and some manipulatives but I mostly plan to use board games, cooking, nature etc. I also got an abucus. I got a bok on art appreciation that looks like fun and I may throw some of that in here and there.

I am getting before five in a row for some ideas to do with my pre-schooler but I won't be doing a lot in that respect; I just want her to feel included.

My main focus right now is to help my son count better and help him learn his ABC's better.

:
Old 06-20-2007, 12:39 AM

Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 AM

We'll be starting in the fall as well. I'm pulling my 1st & 2nd grader out of p.s. and I'm a bit nervous.

So far we've decided on Sonlight for history, Math-U-See & Rosetta Stone for Spanish. I'm using the kid's bibles from church for bible study and we're getting together with some other hs friends to do a mini co-op for science.

I'm wavering back and forth on whether or not I need a curriculum for Language Arts or if I can loosely build my own (spelling & vocab) from their readers. It's too much to figure out. :
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM

Count me in! We are starting next week though, we will be loosely "schooling" year round.

My dd is leaving her Catholic school, end of First grade tomorrow.

I will be "officially" schooling dd (age 7) and ds (age 5) right now.

I purchased most materials from Catholic Heritage Curricula, though I chose Saxon for math.

I hope that by next year I will be able to design my own ecclectic curricula.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 AM

I'm *thinking* of hsing my DD this fall. As I write this, she is at her last day of ps kindergarden. I have been spending so much time reading about the basics of hsing and worrying about the logistics that I have not done much research about curriculum so I'll be reading here for what everyone is using and doing some more research from there.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Old 06-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! We will be getting our feet wet starting in the fall. I thought I had it all fugured out until I started reading about Charlotte Mason, and I really like that philosophy. Ds1 will be 4.

I am going to start with a curriculum of some sort and let our own ideas evolve from there.

I like what I see with the Enki stuff, as well. We will join a local hs group this fall and aside from loose curriculum stuff, focus mainly on play and field trips Glad to be here with you all ~ it feels overwhelming to me sometimes, although I KNOW that this is what we need to do!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Old 06-20-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!!! I'm so glad this thread is growing! I love everyone posting their links and what they are planning.

I've been looking more and more into FIAR, thanks to you guys. The only part of 4th grade that my son LOVED was Unit Studies. I'm going to see if I can save up some money to buy the FIAR curriculum, and if so, I'll ditch K12. Maybe just keep their math. I am sooo worried about Math. I am completely math retarded. I tried to help him with his 3rd grade math this year and had problems!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenivere View Post
We will start with FIAR which i'll follow loosly along with some stuff from GWC (www.gwc.edu.com ) .
Jen, I can't get your link to work?

User Tag List