Does anyone feel sad about the good school things your child misses? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There were a lot of problems about school when I was growing up (being teased/picked on, being bored, having to ask to go to the bathroom, etc) but there were a lot of parts I loved too. Sometimes I feel really sad for my kids that they aren't going to get to experience that. And sometimes I really wish I didn't homeschool but I have it so ingrained in my head that school is bad that I can't put them in school. I have even spent time researching schools, imagining my kids going there. Does anyone else feel this way?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 AM

I struggle with it a lot. I know that homeschooling is better for my dd, and that there is no way we would put her in a public school, but there are little "superficial" things that I am sad we'll miss. The little pagents, pulling the school supply list and having her choose a backpack, lunchboxc etc. They are not things I agonize over, but just little thoughts that run through my head every now and then. I also think my dd would like school (at least in the beginning) so that is hard for me as well. We are doing what we know is best- but I do think about the other things as well. She would be starting K in the fall, and seeing all her friends get ready (some start next week!)- it is starting to feel very real that we will be homeschooling.

I also think there are countless things that she will get to experience that I never did being in school- so it does go both ways

C- mama to K (8) and A (5.5) (8w5d) 10/08, new baby O-2.11.10
#3 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 AM

The parts I loved best about school I brought home to my kids. I had some amazing teachers who went all Ms. Frizzle-ish and threw themselves into their lessons. We were the smallest class in school so we got a lot of perks - getting to camp or going to the bigger city to study how Roman/Greek architecturial ideas survive or putting out a newspaper.
I don't miss the cliques or feeling like if I was just a kid and didn't have any rights. I don't missing having my 7th grade teacher abuse the class and tell me she was going to sue me. The parts I loved were in the lessons (and the awesome homemade rolls my elementary school cafeteria made!).

I'm sure there's going to be some things my kids will miss out on, but the same is true about public school. The grass is always greener. My oldest went back to school for a month last year and was elated when I asked him on the last day if he would like to return to homeschooling. Last year we had a chance to do so much and he felt like he was missing things when he was in a school.
#4 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 AM

I do, but the school my ds attends is very nurturing. Children to not have to ask to go to the bathroom, and there aren't even any bells. They do a lot of wonderful things and the energy is lovely.

But my dds are thriving as hsers. I guess I wish there was a part time option. I wish we could pick and choose when/how/what to participate. I do have my youngest doing some of the summer outdoor programming (while I was helping to weed the school organic garden), and that's been really nice.
#5 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 10:46 AM

What parts do you think they will be missing? I have found that all the "fun" stuff PS did, we do more of now. More field trips, more b-day parties, more art class, etc.

When they get older there are plenty of opportunities for prom, graduation ceremonies, dances etc. through various homeschool groups and organizations.

AM
#6 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Does anyone else feel this way?
No. Every choice we make in life comes with trade-offs, and I am satisfied with the ones we have made to homeschool. Besides, there is really nothing that a school offers that can't be found elsewhere while homeschooling. My kids would miss out on many, many, manymanymany better good things if they were in school.

dm
#7 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM

i used to be bummed that they'd not have school plays and/or band and orchestra concerts. then i found out that many homeschoolers DO do those things

nak
#8 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
there were a lot of parts I loved ...
1) Just because you loved them, doesn't mean your kids would.

2) If there's something your kids want to do, why not just find a way to do it--why would these things need to be done in a school?

When we first started hsing, one of the things I felt bad about ds "missing" was field trips. But, when I spoke to ds about it (he'd been in school for a couple of years) he groaned. He hated riding the bus on trips because it was hot and loud and made him feel sick. He hated having to bring a lunch that was totally disposable (he doesn't like sandwiches but thermos' weren't allowed on trips.) And he didn't like that everything felt rushed and there wasn't enough time to see everything or ask all his questions. So, what *I* thought of as a highlight of school, he dreaded.

Of course, we've gone on many "field trips" of our own. And we always have a great time.

I'm not sure what parts of school you think your kids might miss, but there are places outside of school to find art, sports, theater, etc. and there's no reason kids who don't go to school couldn't go pick out a lunch box and knapsack, yk? We find both useful for when we go out. We've gotten together with other hsers for trips, a science fair, labs, movies etc. and one hsing group in our state organizes a dance/prom each year.

If you can't find these things already organized, you could start them up yourself. But first, take the focus off of what YOU think they're missing, and go with what THEY are asking to do. My kids honestly do not feel like they're missing out on anything.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#9 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM

My ds has been in school, private montessori for K, public french immersion program for 1 and 2, and a supposedly alternative, project/research heavy program for 7. To answer your question:

No, no, never, no, nope, nuh-unh, no way, nope.

There was nothing positive in school for my ds. The Montessori school punished him for things like eating his yogurt before his sandwich at lunch time (that was the point where I withdrew him), his elementary school experience was so bad he wound up on anti-depressants for a year after he left. His grade 7 program was supposed to be a project based, academically advanced classroom with lots of research and self-directed projects. What he really got was dozens of word searches and crossword puzzles a week for homework, colouring (!) assignments in his cooking class, his "robotics" course didn't have a lab, they spent all their time unsupervised on the internet, and I don't know how they managed this quite as fast as they did, but he went from being an avid, constant reader to avoiding any reading unless it was "required" in about 2 weeks.

I think if you haven't been in ps or around it for a long time, there is a tendency to forget just how bad it can be, and only remember the good stuff, but that good stuff is very few and far between.

Mamasgirl, the school supply list is quickly becoming a thing of the past, too, or just a huge burden. Ds's elementary didn't give lists, they just required a cheque up front and they would buy all the supplies. Schools that do give lists around here, they often add up to more than $150, plus regular requests throughout the year to buy things for the classroom, like kleenex, construction paper, etc.
#10 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
What parts do you think they will be missing? I have found that all the "fun" stuff PS did, we do more of now. More field trips, more b-day parties, more art class, etc.

When they get older there are plenty of opportunities for prom, graduation ceremonies, dances etc. through various homeschool groups and organizations.

AM
I think for me, even though I love hsing my children and don't plan to change that, is the energy I see my son's teachers have. I've known them for over a decade, and they are so inspried and inspiring. (To varrying degrees). The music teacher, fi, is one of the most respectful humans I've ever met. He loves what he does and that's contagious. I think that's what I wonder about them missing-- not any particular school-school thing-- not proms or anything like that-- but these particular people who are dedicated, and are supported in their freedom to create something meaningful. I love the atmosphere , the tone, the special chemistry that these people can share.

I am one person, and they are many; sharing, intereacting and being inspired by each other.
#11 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 AM

I feel the same way sometimes. My view is that nothing is perfect--overall, I do think homeschooling is the best choice for our family, but I don't believe that it's a perfect choice. I recognize that there are some aspects of public school that are really fun for kids--picking out a back pack each year, as one mama mentioned, and finding out which of your friends is in your class come September. And sometimes I feel guilty that my daughter isn't partaking in all the school experiences the other kids in the neighbourhood are.

I grew up in one neighbourhood, and went through public school and highschool with a lot of the same people. My highschool had a lot of school spirit and positive energy because we had all known each other for so long. Recently I've been reconnecting with some of those people on Facebook, and it's really fun to be a part of "the old gang" again. One person looked at a picture I had posted of my daughter and said "Wow, she looks just like you at that age!" and I had to think how amazing it was that this person remembered what I looked like when I was 8!

So that's one thing that I feel my daughter is missing out on, the feeling of belonging to a group, to a generation, to a graduating year, I'm not sure how to put it. Not that I have any fear about her making friends here and there--she's very social--but she won't have the same feeling I do when I look back at my highschool graduation pictures and see all the people I know so well all together, you know?

Of course I lived in a really special neighbourhood and my highschool was awesome too. I don't think my daughter would necessarily have that if she was in school, especially since there is a good chance we will move several times over the next few years.

And there were bad things about school too. The pubescent years were pretty painful in particular! And I didn't really enjoy highschool until the second half. But still, I worry that my daughter is missing out on something.

I suppose there is always a chance we may put her in highschool when she reaches that age. We're not sure about that yet. I don't think highschools in general are the same place they were in the early 90s when I was there.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#12 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post

So that's one thing that I feel my daughter is missing out on, the feeling of belonging to a group, to a generation, to a graduating year
With the exception of the "graduating year" part, I don't think these are school issues. My kids have a circle of friends that they're growing up with, a core group as well as acquaintences whom they run into at different social events and classes. It sounds more like you're worried that they won't have a sense of belonging, rather than missing out on anything school-related. Maybe it's because your kids are young? I'll bet that as they get older and get more involved in community or homeschooling groups, or other activities, you'll see a change.

The way pre-teens/teens develop and maintain friendships is really different than the way young kids make friends.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#13 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 PM

No, I don't feel like my kids are missing things. If anything, homeschooling gives us the freedom to do so much more than we could if they were in school. During the school year, ds asks me to invite our public schooled neighbor on trips, but he can never go because he has to go to school.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#14 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
With the exception of the "graduating year" part, I don't think these are school issues. My kids have a circle of friends that they're growing up with, a core group as well as acquaintences whom they run into at different social events and classes. It sounds more like you're worried that they won't have a sense of belonging, rather than missing out on anything school-related.
I agree completely.
The only semi-positive thing that I think my kids will miss is the collective memory of school that's common essentially across the board in our culture.
Almost every other positive aspect of school is something that we can recreate as homeschoolers, often in ways that are healthier, richer and educationally/socially more appropriate for our particular kids.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#15 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
I do, but the school my ds attends is very nurturing. Children to not have to ask to go to the bathroom, and there aren't even any bells. They do a lot of wonderful things and the energy is lovely.

But my dds are thriving as hsers. I guess I wish there was a part time option. I wish we could pick and choose when/how/what to participate. I do have my youngest doing some of the summer outdoor programming (while I was helping to weed the school organic garden), and that's been really nice.
In Britain you can do part time. It's called flexi-schooling. Basically if the head teacher OK's it you can arrange for the child to attend school for the amount of time you and the head agree. You do have to ensure they complete the National Curriculum if you go this way, but I've read it's quite eassy to meet this in infants, even with unschooling the rest.

I've no idea about the law where you are but it might be worth looking into. Few people in Britain know fleix-schooling is leagal, including many LEA's.
#16 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 03:10 PM

I haven't read the replies yet.

This is by far my biggest struggle with homeschooling. The fun parts of school that I know my son would enjoy. He loves group projects, story time, arts and crafts, field trips, snack and lunch, etc. It is hard for me because he would probably do just fine in school, but we think that homeschooling is a better environment and educational experience.

We do a lot of classes because he likes them so much, and I try to feel better about what he is missing. I like summer because there are a lot of camps he can do. He is always just so thrilled at the end of the day camp.

This year every single one of his friends will be in school (some started K last year, but the last ones will be starting K this year, including our neighbor and his cousin), and the adults are doing a lot of hype about how fun school is to get their kids prepared. So it does make it even harder for me.

Plus, *I* miss things about school. I always envisioned volunteering in the classroom and on field trips, I like class projects and homework assignments, etc. I miss the automatic community that is created by having your child in school. And honestly, I miss being "normal" sometimes.

So missing out on what I see as the positives of school have definitely been the hardest part of homeschooling for us.
#17 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 03:26 PM

I know I can't give my children 'my' childhood. So many times I have wanted to move back to the same small town and try to share those experiences with them; recreate the good stuff. But I can't! It isn't 1982! The town is not the same, the people are not the same....and the schools are not the same.

These are different times IMO. Also IMO for my children, the best times will not be in school.

I agree that you may be searching for community and shared memories. A heritage for your children. Have you brainstormed other ways to provide that?
#18 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Dar

Sometimes. I wish Rain could have some of the arts opportunities that schools can offer, especially if she could go to an arts-based school. I'm not sure that's about school, really.... well, maybe. If she could spend all day at a school where she could do the things she loved, that would be great, and I know there are schools in some places that are like that.

Many school districts in the states allow for part-time schooling, too, especially at the middle and high school level. We're looking into that possibility, for arts and foreign language (she can also do these at the university, but it costs a whole lot more).

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#19 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Nope, not at all. I agree with dharmamama when she said:

Quote:
Besides, there is really nothing that a school offers that can't be found elsewhere while homeschooling. My kids would miss out on many, many, manymanymany better good things if they were in school.
When they get old enough and want a chemistry lab, for instance, then we do a class at the local community college. Other than things like that, there is nothing that they can offer in school that would in any way make me want to put my boys in there. Nope, I don't have a twinge of sadness when I think of anything my boys might miss at school, as I don't feel anything they'd miss to be worth my sadness. Just my opinion.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#20 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alima View Post
No, no, never, no, nope, nuh-unh, no way, nope.

There was nothing positive in school for my ds....

I think if you haven't been in ps or around it for a long time, there is a tendency to forget just how bad it can be, and only remember the good stuff, but that good stuff is very few and far between.

Mamasgirl, the school supply list is quickly becoming a thing of the past, too, or just a huge burden. Ds's elementary didn't give lists, they just required a cheque up front and they would buy all the supplies. Schools that do give lists around here, they often add up to more than $150, plus regular requests throughout the year to buy things for the classroom, like kleenex, construction paper, etc.

I really enjoyed this entire post, thank you for sharing! Also makes me feel better about some of the homeschooling supply expenses! That amount is just outrageous.

I agree with everyone who said no. I guess it all just depends on your memories of school. I remember having one friend in the 7th grade, fights every week, mostly between girls, the "cool" kids talking about smoking pot and getting felt up over the weekend on the beach (yes, 7th grade - I was 12) When I finally made it to high school, I got to stay in one school for the whole four years, and I don't remember one single thing I supposedly learned, while earning a 3.2 GPA. And I know it is not getting better now, the news story are horrifying - kids in the 5th grade having sex in the classroom while an assembly is going on, pedophile teachers seem to be on the news every day now! Those aren't my reasons for homeschooling, but they sure don't make me nostolgic for what they might be missing out on, that's for sure!

I'm not worried about my kids making friends... I'm not worried about any activities they might miss, because we can do that ourselves like others have said... and I'm not worried about exposing them to dedicated enthusiastic teachers, because I would really like to reach out to individuals like that in the community as the kids get older and fine-tune their interests. There's just too many opportunities.
#21 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 12:28 AM

My son went to preschool at the elementary school he would have attended if we had decided not to HS. While I generally feel like I can do all the school stuff as well or better, I'm still a little sad he isn't attending THAT particular school. We live in a working class neighborhood with lots of racial diversity and the school manages to really put their heart into it. Kids, teachers and parents who have been through that school feel like it is really doing a great job--and that's what I saw in the two mornings a week DS was there. So anyway, that's the thing I'm a little sorry about--but not enough to change our minds.

Juliette
#22 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 AM

I think about this sometimes - though we aren't officially "schooling" yet. I think for me, it is more nostalgia than any real thought that my kids would miss out on something. The idea of "catching the bus" and snapping the picture - but then I remember how horrible it was to ride that bus with the bullies and how early we had to get up every morning... ugh. School supplies - I plan to take them to get supplies - but we will get what we want not what is on a list. I know not everyone can do this, but we have plans to build a "schoolroom" into our house. I'm looking for inspiration from the Montessori and Waldorf stuff. I think HS is going to be so fun. I can barely wait to get started. Hopefully, the kiddos will think learning is as much fun as I do - especially since they will be free to learn as much as they can and not constrained the way I was.
#23 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 01:19 AM

I do sometimes wish my kids could have the experience of having a really wonderful teacher. I'm not sure I had that while I was in school, but I hate to think I'm depriving them of someone else's wonderful insight.

But that isn't something that has to happen in school either. And I can't imagine subjecting my kids to all the restrictions they would have in public school. Whenever my resolve weakens, my oldest makes it very clear that she does not want to go. My youngest decided that school is for kids who don't have a parent home during the day and dumb kids who can't figure things out on their own. (Yes, I corrected her, but she still doesn't want to go either.)

ZM
#24 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post

This is by far my biggest struggle with homeschooling. The fun parts of school that I know my son would enjoy. He loves group projects, story time, arts and crafts, field trips, snack and lunch, etc. It is hard for me because he would probably do just fine in school, but we think that homeschooling is a better environment and educational experience.

We do a lot of classes because he likes them so much, and I try to feel better about what he is missing. I like summer because there are a lot of camps he can do. He is always just so thrilled at the end of the day camp.

This year every single one of his friends will be in school (some started K last year, but the last ones will be starting K this year, including our neighbor and his cousin), and the adults are doing a lot of hype about how fun school is to get their kids prepared. So it does make it even harder for me.

Plus, *I* miss things about school. I always envisioned volunteering in the classroom and on field trips, I like class projects and homework assignments, etc. I miss the automatic community that is created by having your child in school. And honestly, I miss being "normal" sometimes.

So missing out on what I see as the positives of school have definitely been the hardest part of homeschooling for us.
We haven't started hsing yet, but these are my thoughts, as well.

I loved school as a kid, but like someone else mentioned, this isn't 1982, and the experiences I had (like basic school safety!) is not a given.

The other thing I fear the kids will miss was the inspiring, academic rigor of my high school AP classes, especially the group discussion part of it. The lectures totally opened my mind and when I got to college, I felt prepared and excited. I don't know if discussions with ME are going to be all that fascinating or challenging or confidence-promoting for my children.

As someone else said, there are trade offs, so I'm trying to focus on the good things. And there are so very very many!
#25 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 03:03 AM

I have thought about this even though my dd is only 14 months but i know what im going to do is the best for her and i figure i can do the things that i think she might miss at home.
#26 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I loved school as a kid, but like someone else mentioned, this isn't 1982, and the experiences I had (like basic school safety!) is not a given.
I'm in the "Nope, nothing, nada" camp. (And funny that the year mentioned is '82 -- I moved to my 'hometown' then, it was second grade and I was 7 yo.)

Your quote describes me perfectly. I too loved school -- getting a new backpack, lunch box, and supplies actually enthused me. I loved class pics at the start of the year and knowing my daily routine. School was safe, I liked most of my teachers, and I loved seeing friends that I didn't get to see over the summer.

While this probably stands true still for kids, the classroom of 20-25 kids I had no longer exists. Sure in my state (CA) there's a mandate to have no more than 20 kids to a class that's grades k-3. But the minute that class is grade 4+, all bets are off. Classes in our city that are grade 4+ start at 32 kids. Some can go as high as 41. I remember 32 being a large class back in my day.

The amount of fund raising that's now required by families due to lack of school funding is : . I encountered this a lot with my brother. He's 12 yrs younger than me (started kindy the fall after I graduated HS.) My mother was always fund raising for his class, his field trips, his band activities, etc. He went to the same PS elementary and HS that I did (a new middle school opened between the two of us, so we went to different ones.) She was a room mom, chaperon on the few field trips they had, and band mom. My brother is now 20, so it wasn't that long ago.

Parents are different now. Yeah, generations vary, cultures vary, what have you. But due to the growing population of the town, there were more kids that my brother went to school with than me. I had to pick up my brother from school once and just about wanted to kill all the inconsiderate parents that held no regard of safety for anyone else's child but their own. They would double park, not move from their spot despite the fact that they were in the middle of the school lot, or simple speed across a cross walk even though a crossing guard held up a stop sign. I can't believe the amount of teachers and administrators that have to help with controlling traffic after school! Now, there's even more kids packed into that same elementary that my brother and I attended. I drove by our elementary school recently and there's more portables, less play space and a newly installed basketball court. That same area was once part of 2 soccer fields for me!

I now live a town over from my parents and where I mostly grew up. That district is much better than the one we live in. I have visited schools here (I'm a children's librarian and outreach to schools is one of my duties.) I see the same issues here that I do over there -- overcrowding, lack of an adequate play area, need for (what I consider) extensive fund raising... I don't take too much stock into test scores, but the ones here are awful. The district is cumbersome and unyielding. I've spoken to parents of current students and retired teachers who all mention how much red tape there is to deal with in this district.

Quote:
The other thing I fear the kids will miss was the inspiring, academic rigor of my high school AP classes, especially the group discussion part of it. The lectures totally opened my mind and when I got to college, I felt prepared and excited. I don't know if discussions with ME are going to be all that fascinating or challenging or confidence-promoting for my children.
AP classes vary greatly by the teacher. I had one teacher whom I angered by not taking the English AP test. I looked at a prep book and was overwhelmed by it. All she taught was poetry, because that was her interest. She didn't help us develop adequate essay writing skills at all. In fact, when I got to college, I had to learn the hard way in my intro to humanities, how much I didn't know. My Calc A/B teacher was excellent -- she taught what might be on the test and held 2 tutorial sessions. She was an experienced teacher (compared to my English teacher) and wanted to accommodate those of us who also had other after school activities -- sports, band, etc.) I was confident and pass the exam.

If AP is in our future, I don't see how community college courses couldn't help prepare my child, let alone working with them and a good prep book.

Hs'ing today isn't what it was when I was a kid. Back then it was like a punishment or for a child with "problems." Hs'ers I heard of or knew came from homes where there was much more going on than a simple case of a smart-alecky child or someone with special needs. Due to the growing number of hs'ers, a number of alternatives are available to compensate for those things we former PS kids grew up -- ID cards, yearbooks, prom, graduation, etc. Given that, I don't feel like there are things my kids will be missing out on.

(*side note: I'm going to my first state hs'ing conference next month. One of the events is graduation. This is something I'd like to see, not only to support those graduating hs'ers, but to see if there's really a difference to it vs. my PS graduation -- which I sincerely doubt there will be.)
#27 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
My friend Stephanie, a wise unschooling mom of a fully-fledged adult daughter, calls this "FMS Syndrome" -- 'Fraid of Missing Something Syndrome. Then she points out that any time you make a choice, you're missing something. Have Cheerios for breakfast and you miss out on Froot Loops. Marry Bob and you miss out on marrying Bill. Homeschool and you miss out on school. That's how life works. You can't live your life regretting not having the things you didn't choose.

When I was on the threshold of declaring myself a homeschooling parent, I had similar concerns to yours. At that point my only frame of reference was schooling, because I was schooled. So when I envisioned a homeschooled childhood, I envisioned something vague and intangible devoid of those school experiences. But I didn't really appreciate what would go into that void instead.

Now that I'm almost a decade into homeschooling, I can say with assurance that the instead stuff rocks, that schoolkids miss out on a heck of a lot. I can point to zillions of moments, experiences, connections, warm-fuzzies, relationships and adventures that my kids have had that school children could not possibly experience. Every once in a while I pull myself up short, look at what my kids are doing at a particular moment, and think "this is fantastic -- and there's no way this would be happening if they went to school"

To those who wax nostalgic about that sense of belonging to a grad year ... I wanted to say that I think that for all the sentimentality we formerly-schooled adults feel, it's pretty shallow stuff. It was the best we could do, to draw our sense of community identity from our grade-year. It was a contrived institutional pseudo-community, but it was all we had, and we made the best of it. In fact, we were so desperate for a sense of community that we elevated the 'grad class' identity and values to ridiculous and pretty meaningless heights. Sometimes, fortunately, real meaningful human connections formed that transcended the institutional pseudo-community. Not often, but fortunately occasionally.

My kids draw their sense of identity from deep within themselves, from the real community they live in and from the real work and real connections they form over the long term with other children, adult friends and mentors. They don't need the arbitrary and contrived pseudo-community of agemates / grad year. What they have is far richer.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#28 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
My friend Stephanie, a wise unschooling mom of a fully-fledged adult daughter, calls this "FMS Syndrome" -- 'Fraid of Missing Something Syndrome. Then she points out that any time you make a choice, you're missing something. Have Cheerios for breakfast and you miss out on Froot Loops. Marry Bob and you miss out on marrying Bill. Homeschool and you miss out on school. That's how life works. You can't live your life regretting not having the things you didn't choose.
~and~

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
My kids draw their sense of identity from deep within themselves, from the real community they live in and from the real work and real connections they form over the long term with other children, adult friends and mentors. They don't need the arbitrary and contrived pseudo-community of agemates / grad year. What they have is far richer.
(Not that your whole post didn't )

Thank you, Miranda! You are where I hope we might one day be in ten years. (Our hs path is only starting with pre-K this year. )
#29 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
I encountered this a lot with my brother. He's 12 yrs younger than me (started kindy the fall after I graduated HS.) My mother was always fund raising for his class, his field trips, his band activities, etc.
Funny, my little sis started kindy the fall after I graduated HS too! I don't know of many other families with that kind of spacing.
And OMgoodness did she have to peddle junk for that school! And we were in a much wealthier area than where I spent most of my school years (we moved when I was 15) but she had to raise money for every single thing she was involved in plus schoolwide fundraisers.

I was in band in middle school, but never had to sell anything for it, but her band class had several fundraisers a year. One of our biggest fundraisers when I was in elementary school was collecting Campbell's Soup labels, but my sis was always selling overpriced t-shirts, candy, wrapping paper, or magazine subscriptions.

Miranda, I am saving your post. It's so great and even though my guy's is only turning 6 this summer, I feel the same way. Your unschooling friend is indeeed very wise. FMS Syndrome--I love it!
#30 of 54 Old 07-06-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle in the Hay View Post
Funny, my little sis started kindy the fall after I graduated HS too! I don't know of many other families with that kind of spacing.
OMGoddess, first off, your handle is too much a coinkidink! While I knew I wasn't the only one, I've never met anyone else in the same situation! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle in the Hay View Post
And OMgoodness did she have to peddle junk for that school! And we were in a much wealthier area than where I spent most of my school years (we moved when I was 15) but she had to raise money for every single thing she was involved in plus schoolwide fundraisers.

I was in band in middle school, but never had to sell anything for it, but her band class had several fundraisers a year. One of our biggest fundraisers when I was in elementary school was collecting Campbell's Soup labels, but my sis was always selling overpriced t-shirts, candy, wrapping paper, or magazine subscriptions.
You didn't get the joy of cookie dough? Geez the years I baked that for others! :Puke But I totally understand the peddling of crap. That is so true! My mom lives in the middle to upper middle class area. Personally, I would've thought that much was covered by the school with some to little fund raising needed. Since that wasn't the case, I can only imagine what the schools near me currently need in fund to get by...

Isn't it sad how a PS needs to do that to survive? I almost equate it to prostitution. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page