Anyone do the back-to-school shopping? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 07-22-2007, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah! DD had just picked the last notebook from the stock we got last year so it was really good timing!

We got:
10 notebooks
10 folders
5 boxes of crayons
2 bottles of glue
3 packages of glue sticks
2 packages of markers
2 boxes of colored pencils
some pencils, erasers and pens
5 pencil boxes for the organization of pencils, markers, crayons, colored pencils and glue

Cost under $15 for the whole lot!

Now I have all my supplies all organized and neat...which should last about a week tops!
#32 of 47 Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb View Post
Oh yeah! DD had just picked the last notebook from the stock we got last year so it was really good timing!

We got:
10 notebooks
10 folders
5 boxes of crayons
2 bottles of glue
3 packages of glue sticks
2 packages of markers
2 boxes of colored pencils
some pencils, erasers and pens
5 pencil boxes for the organization of pencils, markers, crayons, colored pencils and glue

Cost under $15 for the whole lot!

Now I have all my supplies all organized and neat...which should last about a week tops!
where did you go?
#33 of 47 Old 07-22-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
where did you go?
Walmart
#34 of 47 Old 07-22-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
which has the better deals--- walmart or target (before school starts)?
Target has better loss leaders (at least they did last year) but Walmart is a better on-stop-shop.
#35 of 47 Old 07-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking at the sales fliers last sunday, I saw that actually, I'd probably be going BOTH places, as they had different stuff on sale. Walmart had boxes of penciles for a penny, but target had larger boxes of crayons for a better price and glue sticks at a a batter price, I think... I haven't had a chance to look yet this week...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#36 of 47 Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 PM

I just got back from my local Target and wasn't very impressed.....They had a few good deals, gluesticks $.15, notebooks 10 for $2, and highlighters. Couldn't find any filler paper whatsoever. Walgreens had filler paper for free (limit 4 with mail rebate: i suck at those so i'm going to walmart).
#37 of 47 Old 07-23-2007, 04:49 AM

I went to Staples today- couple of 8- and 12-packs of pencils for a nickel, looseleaf notebook paper for $0.69 for 150 sheets, folders for a penny a piece, 2-packs of composition books for $0.78. I got out of there for $6.08.

DD1 has discovered the absolute joy of punching holes in her drawings (mostly room organization designs lately) and making presentations of them by flipping through a looseleaf notebook... so I think I'm going to need to stock up on 1" notebooks somewhere, if anyone spots a good deal...

Unschooling mama to DD1, 11/2001
and DD2, 11/2004
#38 of 47 Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
I buy the loss leaders before school starts. Pencils for a penny, glue for 9 cents, crayons for 9 cents, etc. Then a week after school starts Target is DESPERATE to get rid of school supplies so they can set up Christmas stuff : that they are practically giving stuff away!!! That is when I get all the things that never go on sale. Red correction pencils (DS loves to do his math in them), fancy file folders, fancy spiral notebooks, calendars, magnets, etc.
It's true! Also they put all the "dorm room" decoration type stuff on sale, some of which is homeschool friendly, ie. stuff for organizing and so forth.
#39 of 47 Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 PM

I love the back to school sales! All that stuff is just so expensive the rest of the year.
Looking forward to all the nice new stuff
#40 of 47 Old 07-23-2007, 01:17 PM

you guys are getting me all excited! I've been trying to avoid looking at any fliers, because I think we have most of what we need, but I can see that resistance is futile!!!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#41 of 47 Old 07-23-2007, 04:39 PM

I'm glad I saw this thread. It reminded me to start picking stuff up. I always buy enough crayons, glue, notebooks etc to last through the year while they are super cheap. Crayons and markers especially can make a nice add on to a birthday gifts during the year.

-Pam
#42 of 47 Old 07-23-2007, 08:25 PM

We stock up too. And dd is only 2! But for her, glue, crayons, markers, and notebooks are great to buy at these low prices. And for me, pens, staplers/staples, sharpies, and organizers! Plus when everything goes on sale, lots of teacher supplies do too, like construction paper, stickers, and cool little learning/teaching helps. We will unschool, but still, who knows if in the future any of this stuff will hold her interest?:
#43 of 47 Old 07-24-2007, 05:46 PM

We're doing this,too. I love to walk throught he aisles- it gets me excited about the coming year! So we've picked up markers. crayons, etc (probably more than we'll need, but I couldn't resist : ). I let ds pick out a folder for his stuff. He's loving it because it all goes into the "schoolroom" and it feels kind of special.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#44 of 47 Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 PM

I love the sales..notebooks 10 for a dollar at drug fair. I get all excited. I LOVE notebooks!!

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#45 of 47 Old 07-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
We are getting $3 worth of crayons and making crayon muffins for a project this year. (my DS will make them and my DD will use them, its a win/win) They're like 15 cents each atm I think. We'll also be getting a couple of notebooks and computer paper if thats on sale (I hope!) and art supplies.

Mostly I just love the smell of new paper and pencils so would buy it even if I didnt have kids
Please explain... I keep trying to imagine what a crayon muffin might be but it seems like a cranberry muffin with bits of crayon in it-- which reminds me of my childhood dog that used to love-love-love to eat crayons. What is a crayon muffin REALLY?

Also, what is a loss-leader? I've seen that term in here and don't know it.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#46 of 47 Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
Please explain... I keep trying to imagine what a crayon muffin might be but it seems like a cranberry muffin with bits of crayon in it-- which reminds me of my childhood dog that used to love-love-love to eat crayons. What is a crayon muffin REALLY?

I've never heard them called crayon muffins, but you break bits of crayon or use all those little broken pieces and melt them in muffin tins (mini muffins are best). You only fill them a little and you end up with a multi-colored crayon. You can look it up on line. We did it with some friends and used heart shaped mini-muffin tins and came up with some cool crayons. You can be totally random or do it by families - like shades of green.

We do back to school shopping even though we're pretty much unschoolers. We always need art supplies. I hit Staples this year; they had a penny sale. 1 cent for a pack of pencils, pencil sharpeners. I think it was 9 cents for bottles of white glue. Folders, notebooks, etc were all on sale too. We usually hit Target for things like 10 packs of crayons for $1 but this year their sale isn't good.

All our kids have backpacks, even the 2 yo. Backpacks come in handy during overnights at grandma's, trips (last time we flew, everyone carried their own toys and cuddly) or even adventures around town. Our oldest does a three hour art class where he brings a snack so he has a lunch box - also good for trips to the park, etc.
#47 of 47 Old 07-25-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post

A loss leader is an item advertised at a very low price. It is basically to get you in the door

We picked up some supplies but I need to go back, I didn't get nearly enough! I'm trying to stock up for the year.

Mama to two boys and a girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page