Anyone do the back-to-school shopping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have decided to take my oldest back-to-school shopping since she will be starting kindergarten this year at home. I just realized this morning how much she wants to get all the stuff that her friends who are going to public school are getting.... she kept longingly flipping through the Shopko ad looking at markers and notebooks. I figured to make a big deal out of buying a few notebooks might be a fun way for her to celebrate this passage into being school aged and a way to excite her about homeschooling.

Anyone else doing this? Or am I just ridiculous?

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#2 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We do. It's a fun way to kick off the school year, and can be pretty cheap. I'm planning on spending around $10 for crayons, glue, pencil boxes, etc. - much cheaper than the lists provided by the schools last year! I totaled up how much it was for a second grader last year - it came close to $100. They were very specific in what each child needed to get:
3 boxes of Puffs Plus tissues with Aloe
Ziploc quart sized bags with slide closure
Crayola 24 count crayons

And this was a public school! I shook my head and gave my thanks that we weren't doing that instead.
#3 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 03:43 PM

Yes, yes, yes! At back-to-school time I stock up on all the things I think we will need throughout the year. It's SO cheap. We get crayons and pencils and pens and glue and notebooks, etc. I haven't ever made a big deal out of it (but she's only 4), but it's nice to let her pick out some things for herself. I like the idea of letting your dd pick out some special notebooks as a way to get excited about homeschooling.
#4 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 04:06 PM

good time to stock up on stuff for crafts

I found stick glues for .10 a piece. my girls go through lots of the stuff.

nak
#5 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 04:24 PM

I love back to school sales. It's one of my favorite things to shop for. Even before I had kids I would stock up :. I have enough looseleaf to last a few years, lol! I can't wait until they start. The stores don't even have displays up yet!!
#6 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
Anyone else doing this? Or am I just ridiculous?
You're not ridiculous at all. Last week we bought some lunch boxes for the girls (my oldest would be Kindy age, and of course her younger sister had to have one too ).
#7 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 05:20 PM

back to school shopping here too, and a first day school picture, and we'll make cupcakes to celebrate, and i've got some ideas planned for the first day too for activities.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#8 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 05:40 PM

Some of the people in my homeschool group also belong to H.E.A.R.T.S. We do charitable work throughout the year, and the current activity is gathering up school supplies for kids who can't afford them for themselves...every year we do this we always get some for us too!

http://www.h-e-a-r-t-s.org/SchoolSupplies.html

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#9 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Anyone else doing this?
Yes. My dd is also starting "school" this autumn. Although we don't really need anything we don't have already, and the rest can be bought as and when. But with all her friends looking forward to school and talking about it, I thought I'll get dd some things. Pretty pens, excercise books, paintbrushes, etc, nothing expensive. I'm also looking to buy a small table or desk for her, haven't found one yet. Yes, the dining table would do perfectly fine, but I can just see her sitting at her own little desk and doing her 'writing' she's so fond of.

Two more days of pre-school, and then we're finished with institutions. Can't wait!
#10 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 PM

Yes, I stock up on cheap school supplies this time of year! Love the $.30 packs of paper and $.10 glue!
#11 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 PM

I don't think it's ridiculous at all! Even HSers use a large majority of school supplies, just at home, obviously. I guess you wouldn't need certain things, like a backpack or a lunchbox, although I don't think there's anything wrong with buying one if your dc wants one. Good for library books and field trips.
#12 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 PM

We definitely do back-to-school shopping. My kids need 5/8" ruled paper, and this is the only time of year I can buy it without paying shipping. We also picked up lunchboxes (for field trips), and crayons and pencils and pens.

I spent more than I care to admit, actually. We also found a bunch of fun things in the $1 section at Target-- map and math fact place mats, among other things.

ZM
#13 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I always thought homeschooling was a way of avoiding this annual ritual, but many notebooks, linepaper, pens and other supplies are on sale at this time of year, so I try to stock up.

Capri Sun is on sale also.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#14 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 PM

We do just to take advantage of the sales!!! We school year round so there is less of a start and stop to school for us.

This year BTS sales are a big deal for us because we are organizing school supply donations for the local community center. I can make the donations stretch pretty far with the sales.
#15 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I always thought homeschooling was a way of avoiding this annual ritual, but many notebooks, linepaper, pens and other supplies are on sale at this time of year, so I try to stock up.

Capri Sun is on sale also.
My favorite is the week AFTER school starts when everything goes on sale half price!!!!
#16 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
My favorite is the week AFTER school starts when everything goes on sale half price!!!!
Absolutely! Good idea...to be more precise, these items are actually lower in price at this time of the year. I would not want to buy spiral notebooks at any other time of the year.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#17 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
Ah, good to know.
#18 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 PM

Yup, I plan on picking up supplies too. You really can't beat the deals lol!

BTW, are things really cheaper the week AFTER school starts? I never noticed that...

I'll have to check that out!
#19 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 10:53 PM

I stock up on crayons,notebooks,those little mini notebooks, pens for me and markers. I will have to look for glue and glue sticks sticks this year!

we actually just opened our last packs of crayons bought last August.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#20 of 47 Old 07-20-2007, 11:02 PM

Absolutely! I love getting the supplies when they are cheap. We stock up on spiral notebooks for the girls. They are great to take in the car on trips. And crayons, notebooks, pencils, etc. Plus, like others, we donate many to kids in need. This year I am also stocking up on crayons and such for Halloween. Yep, I'll be the geeky house giving out crayons instead of candy to the younger kids.
#21 of 47 Old 07-21-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids View Post
Yup, I plan on picking up supplies too. You really can't beat the deals lol!

BTW, are things really cheaper the week AFTER school starts? I never noticed that...

I'll have to check that out!
I buy the loss leaders before school starts. Pencils for a penny, glue for 9 cents, crayons for 9 cents, etc. Then a week after school starts Target is DESPERATE to get rid of school supplies so they can set up Christmas stuff : that they are practically giving stuff away!!! That is when I get all the things that never go on sale. Red correction pencils (DS loves to do his math in them), fancy file folders, fancy spiral notebooks, calendars, magnets, etc.
#22 of 47 Old 07-21-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I buy the loss leaders before school starts. Pencils for a penny, glue for 9 cents, crayons for 9 cents, etc. Then a week after school starts Target is DESPERATE to get rid of school supplies so they can set up Christmas stuff : that they are practically giving stuff away!!! That is when I get all the things that never go on sale. Red correction pencils (DS loves to do his math in them), fancy file folders, fancy spiral notebooks, calendars, magnets, etc.
OOh. Good to know! TY! I need to figure out what week school starts so I can make a note for myself to go to Target the following week. (Yes, I will forget if I don't write it down )
#23 of 47 Old 07-21-2007, 12:34 PM

We are getting $3 worth of crayons and making crayon muffins for a project this year. (my DS will make them and my DD will use them, its a win/win) They're like 15 cents each atm I think. We'll also be getting a couple of notebooks and computer paper if thats on sale (I hope!) and art supplies.

Mostly I just love the smell of new paper and pencils so would buy it even if I didnt have kids
#24 of 47 Old 07-21-2007, 01:00 PM

Us too! DS is five this year, so this is our first year of "real" homeschooling (kinda makes me wonder what we were doing the past two years
We have a backpack for taking stuff between home and the sitters (I'm a single, working HSing mama!), a lunch box for trips, crayons, markers, the usual. I also saw some cool K-1 grade journals yesterday that I think I'll pick up today!
Michele
#25 of 47 Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Going to head to WallyWorld today for their back-to-school sale if DD starts feeling better!
#26 of 47 Old 07-21-2007, 02:40 PM

We'll buy some things.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#27 of 47 Old 07-21-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
wonderful to know

thanks
#28 of 47 Old 07-22-2007, 02:30 AM

It's such a marketing ploy. One that I have totally bought into. I find myself looking longingly at the notebooks and pens etc. ... luckily my kids haven't caught on yet because that stuff can get expensive!
#29 of 47 Old 07-22-2007, 11:48 AM

which has the better deals--- walmart or target (before school starts)?
#30 of 47 Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 PM

We stock up at Staples. I think last year we got 20 bottles of glue for 9 cents each. We have about 3 left. At that price I find I don't cringe when I see my son squeezing half a bottle at a time! We also bought enough to make craft boxes for all of the nieces and nephews holiday gifts. We bought tackle boxes, decorated them on the outside, and filled them full of crayons, markers, collage materials, etc. They were a big hit!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page