what do you think of k12.com? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 55 Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just wondering if anyone has experience with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 55 Old 07-23-2007, 06:13 PM

i'm not interested at all in virtual schools, but if i *had* to choose one, i'd definitely pick k12. they use the core knowedge foundation for the bulk of their curriculum, and i love CK.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#3 of 55 Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 PM

I don't - but I'd recommend also looking into other alternatives that have a different sort of philosophy about nourishing the joy of learning, which is the most important element of all :

Oak Meadow

Clonlara

- Lillian
#4 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 03:07 PM

i *think* the main difference between k12 and oak meadow and other curriculums and such is that k12 in many states is a virtual school and is free. i don't think oak meadow is a virtual school (but i could be wrong - i don't use a curriculum like that).

so with k12 and connections academy you get a computer, free curriculum, teacher assistance, etc. BUT you also are enrolled in a public school (you just attend at home) and you are accountable on all accounts like a PS student. i don't like that at all, but i live in SC and i am glad that our state in 2008 will have virtual schools. i like the option of one for when my kids get in high school, even though i don't use them now.

#5 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i *think* the main difference between k12 and oak meadow and other curriculums and such is that k12 in many states is a virtual school and is free. i don't think oak meadow is a virtual school (but i could be wrong - i don't use a curriculum like that).

so with k12 and connections academy you get a computer, free curriculum, teacher assistance, etc. BUT you also are enrolled in a public school (you just attend at home) and you are accountable on all accounts like a PS student. i don't like that at all, but i live in SC and i am glad that our state in 2008 will have virtual schools. i like the option of one for when my kids get in high school, even though i don't use them now.
But you can get k12 without it being a virtual school, it just costs quite a bit of money. I am still kind of on the fence with it. I don't really want to go through a virtual school, at least not in the early years. But as a mom who is in college parttime and will be homeschooling, the idea of having all my lessons laid out for me and everything in one package really appeals to me.

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#6 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix View Post
But you can get k12 without it being a virtual school, it just costs quite a bit of money. I am still kind of on the fence with it. I don't really want to go through a virtual school, at least not in the early years. But as a mom who is in college parttime and will be homeschooling, the idea of having all my lessons laid out for me and everything in one package really appeals to me.
yes, you are definitely right. you can purchase the curriculum from any of the virtual schools to my knowledge.

on another note....if you are interested in purchasing k12, why not just use the free curriculum through core knowledge? the CK foundation is amazing, and you would only need to purchase phonics/reading/math. this is what i do, because like you, i really wanted my lessons laid out for me. just a thought.

#7 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:

so with k12 and connections academy you get a computer, free curriculum, teacher assistance, etc. BUT you also are enrolled in a public school (you just attend at home) and you are accountable on all accounts like a PS student.
The main difference for me is the second point you make - Oak Meadow and Clonlara have much different educational philosophies from public schools. K-12 is merely a home version of public school.

Lillian
#8 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned

I think some are lumping together virtual/distance learning/school with virtual charter schools.
Yes in some areas k-12 is available for free through the public school system as a virtual charter school. However anyone can use k-12 if they purchase it directly. I also believe there are "brick and mortar" private schools that use the k-12 curriculum.
#9 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha_lyn View Post
I think some are lumping together virtual/distance learning/school with virtual charter schools.
Yes in some areas k-12 is available for free through the public school system as a virtual charter school. However anyone can use k-12 if they purchase it directly. I also believe there are "brick and mortar" private schools that use the k-12 curriculum.
Wow, I didn't realize it was that widespread... - Lillian
#10 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

K-12 is merely a home version of public school.

Lillian
I am biased as we have registered DS with FLVA for 07-08, but I do not agree with that statement. Yes, with K12, you are still held accountable to public school testing and attendance requirments, but it is not exactly the same as moving a public school classroom home. The parent is working one-on-one with their child to teach the materials; you do not progress until your child knows the material (unlike public school). You are there to discuss questionable/objectionable materials. There are no bullies or other classroom management issues, you can make sure your child gets recess. I would say no cranky teachers, but that might depend on the day The material itself is superior to that presented in a tradional public school.

I understand that the virtual academy is not "true" homeschooling; we are using it as a compromise in our family (I want to hs our children, DH likes the checks and balances of this program). I think the highly organized format will be extremely helpful as a new homeschooling family (with a 3rd grade level child, a pre-k child and a toddler). The purchased version of K12.com is/was one of my personal choices for our family (if cost were not an issue). If not using K12, we would follow a modified classical program.

Just sharing my .02 worth,
Carey
#11 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clane View Post
I am biased as we have registered DS with FLVA for 07-08, but I do not agree with that statement. Yes, with K12, you are still held accountable to public school testing and attendance requirments, but it is not exactly the same as moving a public school classroom home. The parent is working one-on-one with their child to teach the materials; you do not progress until your child knows the material (unlike public school). You are there to discuss questionable/objectionable materials. There are no bullies or other classroom management issues, you can make sure your child gets recess. I would say no cranky teachers, but that might depend on the day
Okay - points well taken. That's all quite true.

Quote:
I understand that the virtual academy is not "true" homeschooling; we are using it as a compromise in our family (I want to hs our children, DH likes the checks and balances of this program). I think the highly organized format will be extremely helpful as a new homeschooling family (with a 3rd grade level child, a pre-k child and a toddler).

Well, if it's working well, that's great. But as I said somewhere else within the last few days, my concern would be that these things can become obstacles to successfully settling into homeschooling - I've seen people stress their children and themselves over feeling they need to stick to what the program demands over what they're children really need. And the other side of that is that people usually do find their own paths after starting with a structure that was imposed from outside. I hope your experience goes smoothly. - Lillian
#12 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 07:35 PM

i'm really sorry if my comments offended anyone or were misunderstood. i realize k12 is a virtual charter school, and that it can also be purchased as just a curriculum with no affiliation to a public school.

most people i know that have used it though, did so because they lived in a state that acknowledged virtual schools as a PS option. i'm part of the core knowledge yahoo group, and many people who love CK enjoy the benefits of k12 as a virtual school because their children get the CK education at no cost to the families. core knowledge is used in many public schools nationwide as the "core" curriculum. for the original poster, you can read more reviews from others that have also used k12 here: http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/rev...ws.aspx?id=180

#13 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
yes, you are definitely right. you can purchase the curriculum from any of the virtual schools to my knowledge.

on another note....if you are interested in purchasing k12, why not just use the free curriculum through core knowledge? the CK foundation is amazing, and you would only need to purchase phonics/reading/math. this is what i do, because like you, i really wanted my lessons laid out for me. just a thought.
ok. Yes, while I am not completely new to homeschooling (have been thinking about it for years) this is my first year actually embarking on the journey, so I am pretty new to curriculums, etc. I have the CK book for my daughter, who is four but ready to casually do K stuff with, but now I am curious about it for my son (1st grade).

Why use K12 if CK is the same thing? Or is it not the same thing? There must be a reason to pay for k12 (and that is not meant to be snarky to anyone who purchases K12). I have a math curriculum (Miquon) and can read music, so I was thinking I would do a couple subjects through K12 (maybe language arts, science and history) and do the other stuff on my own (foreign lang., music, art). But now I am looking at CK more in depth. Does it require more planning? I am so confused! :

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#14 of 55 Old 07-24-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
ok. Yes, while I am not completely new to homeschooling (have been thinking about it for years) this is my first year actually embarking on the journey, so I am pretty new to curriculums, etc. I have the CK book for my daughter, who is four but ready to casually do K stuff with, but now I am curious about it for my son (1st grade).

Why use K12 if CK is the same thing? Or is it not the same thing? There must be a reason to pay for k12 (and that is not meant to be snarky to anyone who purchases K12). I have a math curriculum (Miquon) and can read music, so I was thinking I would do a couple subjects through K12 (maybe language arts, science and history) and do the other stuff on my own (foreign lang., music, art). But now I am looking at CK more in depth. Does it require more planning? I am so confused! :
those are great questions. core knowledge is a scope & sequence, but they also have many products for sale. for people that use CK, you will often hear them refer to the "CK sequence". the sequence outlines specific things that should be taught for each grade level, and it is literally a book you can buy that covers several grades. i personally use baltimore curriculum project that follows the CK sequence. k12 also follows the CK sequence. many homeschoolers that use CK like the pearson learning books a lot, which also are great in following the CK sequence. if you look at the core knowledge website (www.coreknowledge.org) it would explain it much more adequately than i am for earlier grades, some people just use the "what your _er needs to know" book and supplement with library books. i really like things laid out for me though, so i have found the BCP lessons to be a godsend and they're free. here is the scope and sequence i follow: http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/lesson_titles.htm and here are the lessons i use that go along with the scope and sequence: http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/draft_lessons.html

you can also supplement with additional lessons on the same scope and sequence by looking at www.coreknowledge.org and click on the lessons. the colorado lessons are fabulous there too! anyway, i hope this makes sense to you. there is also a video at www.k12.com that further explains core knowledge sequence

#15 of 55 Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
those are great questions. core knowledge is a scope & sequence, but they also have many products for sale. for people that use CK, you will often hear them refer to the "CK sequence". the sequence outlines specific things that should be taught for each grade level, and it is literally a book you can buy that covers several grades. i personally use baltimore curriculum project that follows the CK sequence. k12 also follows the CK sequence. many homeschoolers that use CK like the pearson learning books a lot, which also are great in following the CK sequence. if you look at the core knowledge website (www.coreknowledge.org) it would explain it much more adequately than i am for earlier grades, some people just use the "what your _er needs to know" book and supplement with library books. i really like things laid out for me though, so i have found the BCP lessons to be a godsend and they're free. here is the scope and sequence i follow: http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/lesson_titles.htm and here are the lessons i use that go along with the scope and sequence: http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/draft_lessons.html

you can also supplement with additional lessons on the same scope and sequence by looking at www.coreknowledge.org and click on the lessons. the colorado lessons are fabulous there too! anyway, i hope this makes sense to you. there is also a video at www.k12.com that further explains core knowledge sequence
Just wanted to thank you for your links and explanations! I decided to do Grade one K12 for a few subjects (paying for it, not through OLS) for my son. I have the CK K book and I am going to being casually doing some of that with my daughter- that link you posted has lots of great things to try. Since she is technically not "school age" and has never formally learned things (unlike my son) I don't feel so bad winging it with her in order to get the hang of homeschooling. Then we'll see what happens with my son next year, if the structure of K12 is too much and we need to back off, or if he really likes it (which I suspect he will).

#16 of 55 Old 07-25-2007, 11:14 PM

if you're paying for k12 as opposed to enrolling, you should be VERY happy with it. you won't be accountable to anyone and can move at your own pace. i hear great things about the curriculum, and the only negative comments i've ever heard are in regard to keeping up with the work as a charter student. i hope you will continue to post here throughout the year, i'd love to hear about it!!!

#17 of 55 Old 07-25-2007, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
You are correct.

Quote:
so with k12 and connections academy you get a computer, free curriculum, teacher assistance, etc. BUT you also are enrolled in a public school (you just attend at home) and you are accountable on all accounts like a PS student.
True. I liked it. I used it for a year. It is very comprehensive, very flexible and complete.

For the record, I used Oak Meadow for a year and I did not like it at all. That includes the people who run it. They were extremely rude and hostile.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#18 of 55 Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
if you're paying for k12 as opposed to enrolling, you should be VERY happy with it. you won't be accountable to anyone and can move at your own pace. i hear great things about the curriculum, and the only negative comments i've ever heard are in regard to keeping up with the work as a charter student. i hope you will continue to post here throughout the year, i'd love to hear about it!!!
I will definitely keep posting! Sometimes I had been a little nervous posting here because I thought there weren't many structured homeschoolers here, but I am glad to see there are some!

#19 of 55 Old 07-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I will definitely keep posting! Sometimes I had been a little nervous posting here because I thought there weren't many structured homeschoolers here, but I am glad to see there are some!
You know, I love the general Mothering board, and have looked around on the internet for an inclusive homeschooling board and have not found one that was inclusive enough or busy enough for me - so I check at Learning at Home and Beyond here at Mothering every day just for new posts. I hope that EVERYONE who homeschools and frequents Mothering will post here frequently and make this a busy supportive homeschooling board that meets all our needs!

I am not very structured myself, but I would love to hear about your K-12 experiences as the year advances. My oldest son is an advanced learner and I am alwasy concerned that I am not providing him with enough challenges.
#20 of 55 Old 07-26-2007, 01:54 PM

Y'know, I started out as a structured homeschooler, and moved over to the other end of the spectrum - so I know exactly what it feels like from both perspectives. But I want you to know that unstructured homeschoolers are just as hesitant to post here these days - I think the limited nature of online communication makes it feel as if people are being a lot more aggressive with their opinions than they mean to be. In real life, sitting around a table, we wouldn't be so put off when friends and/or acquaintances and/or strangers toss in their strong opinions - we'd just think of it as a discussion, and might find it very stimulating and thought provoking. But people here, going only by what they see printed onscreen, tend to jump to assumptions that people are meaning to control things. I think that if we were all willing to just keep expressing ourselves, maybe some of that illusion could start to break down. I still have friends I met online back when the dinosaurs roamed who came from the whole spectrum - and for whatever reason, we managed to find our simularities rather than getting our feathers ruffled about our differences. We learned a lot from one another - not by way of changing one another's minds but in stretching our own.

Incidentally I took a poll to find out what the spread of styles is: "What style - in general - do you follow?

Lillian
#21 of 55 Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 PM

I actually just posted my little blurb as a way to say that I hope this particular subforum becomes and stays BUSY, I never really noticed anyone getting annoyed or flustered by others opinions... but perhaps I just never, uh, ... noticed, LOL.

I just want this to be a (very busy) place of inspiration and lots of chat about something (homeschooling) that is so pivotal to my lifestyle, my being!
#22 of 55 Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM

Well, I have another question that maybe some people who use K12 can help with. I realized they have more than sample lessons on their website, I can actually download curriculum outlines! I wish I had noticed it before : !

My son took the LA placement test and placed into K, not Grade one. He does not read yet, though he can sound out simple cvc words, if they aren't real words (like some of them on the placement test) he is lost. This prompted me to look at the scope and sequence on the K12 website when I realized it was there. In K they are starting on, oh, I forget the term- digraphs? When they have "ck" and "sh" type blends. He didn't do this in K in ps. He knows all the letters, their sounds, etc, just not the blends. Then I looked at K science and history and they seem more, well, put together than he had in ps. I mean, they are talking about locating australia on a map, etc and I don't think he ever did that in K.

He's only 6. I am seriously thinking about ordering him the K curriculum for k12. It seems so much more complete then he got in school. He graduated K just fine, though. So should I put him in K for LA and do grade one for everything else? Or is the grade one curriculum going to require knowledge of writing and reading that he doesn't have yet and touch on things that happened during the K curriculum that he didn't cover in his ps education?

And-- do you think I could make double copies of everything and have my daughter do some of this stuff for K (esp the phonics), as well, but not paying for the K12 lesson plans? So then I can kind of see how she learns and does, etc?

I really want to go ahead and purchase it this week. I don't know how long it will take to get to me and I want to start the 15th of Aug.

#23 of 55 Old 07-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Our private school ahs become a little too, well, private for us so i have decided to homeschool. Our school district offers k-12 for free and I was so pleased to see like minded parents reviewing it. Thanks for putting your opinions down for others to see.

Snarky Army wife, mom to 2 girls : 6, : 9, twin boys, 4 : and born 12/10.
#24 of 55 Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4it2snow View Post
I actually just posted my little blurb as a way to say that I hope this particular subforum becomes and stays BUSY, I never really noticed anyone getting annoyed or flustered by others opinions... but perhaps I just never, uh, ... noticed, LOL.
Oh. Well, I guess I've become a little quick on the draw...

Quote:
I just want this to be a (very busy) place of inspiration and lots of chat about something (homeschooling) that is so pivotal to my lifestyle, my being!
I think you'll find this - this is the best homeschooling forum I've seen, and the threads whiz past pretty rapidly. Full spectrum of subjects and posters. - Lillian
#25 of 55 Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM

I'll bump this thread up. Anyone else (vs or not) using it, I'd love to keep it going.

I ordered my K12 stuff today. We're starting with three subjects- K language arts, K History and Grade one science. Trevor tested into K LA because he doesn't have phonics down and I kept him in K History because it covers lots he didn't cover in school (locating countries on a globe, looking at countries other than the US, etc) but K science looked very basic. Some of it's stuff he didn't really touch on in school, but stuff he learned about at home through his own interest. The curriculum covers MUCH more than a typical ps year would cover.

I spoke to a K12 rep and she was very nice, friendly and helpful. She told me there is basically no difference being using a virtual school and buying it directly but when you buy it directly you are not bound by a school year calendar and can work on things slower and have more freedom to skip around. But they provide the same lessons, etc the vs gets.

So I'm excited! We put our start date as Aug 15th, but I dont know how long it takes to get the materials. YAY!

#26 of 55 Old 07-27-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post
[COLOR="Indigo"] I think the limited nature of online communication makes it feel as if people are being a lot more aggressive with their opinions than they mean to be. In real life, sitting around a table, we wouldn't be so put off when friends and/or acquaintances and/or strangers toss in their strong opinions - we'd just think of it as a discussion, and might find it very stimulating and thought provoking. But people here, going only by what they see printed onscreen, tend to jump to assumptions that people are meaning to control things.
i think that is SO true. i find a lot of people at MDC are very passionate, but because we can't convey that passion with our body language and tone in our voice, it can often be mistaken for anger or criticism...or whatever else. i try to be very neutral in my post (well..usually: ) to avoid getting flamed

#27 of 55 Old 07-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I'll bump this thread up. Anyone else (vs or not) using it, I'd love to keep it going.

I ordered my K12 stuff today. We're starting with three subjects- K language arts, K History and Grade one science. Trevor tested into K LA because he doesn't have phonics down and I kept him in K History because it covers lots he didn't cover in school (locating countries on a globe, looking at countries other than the US, etc) but K science looked very basic. Some of it's stuff he didn't really touch on in school, but stuff he learned about at home through his own interest. The curriculum covers MUCH more than a typical ps year would cover.

I spoke to a K12 rep and she was very nice, friendly and helpful. She told me there is basically no difference being using a virtual school and buying it directly but when you buy it directly you are not bound by a school year calendar and can work on things slower and have more freedom to skip around. But they provide the same lessons, etc the vs gets.

So I'm excited! We put our start date as Aug 15th, but I dont know how long it takes to get the materials. YAY!
i think it's great that you are using k12 and can tell us all about it!! like i said, i really love CK and i have heard wondeful things about k12 curriculum....the only negative things i've heard are regarding it for charter students. i think moving at the child's pace and following their lead is so important, yk? i can't afford k12....so i'll stick with the BCP lessons.....but i'd love to keep our dialogue throughout the year so i can steal ideas from you!!!!

#28 of 55 Old 07-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use K12 through a virtual academy. Our first year we paid for it....IMO it's not worth the money if you can get it for free. Just make sure to mark attendence everyday and steadily move through the curriculum at your child's pace and they leave you alone My dd sometimes takes 3 or 4 days to do one math lesson because that lesson is a hard one for her. So she gets to mark attendance everyday for doing math even though she only did one lesson. You just have to take a deep breath and say inside your head while the teacher is talking to you, "What you don't know won't hurt you and our life is none of your business." For this you get a curriculum that is all laid out for you, that your older children can even do independantly , that normally costs well over $1000 a year, for FREE.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#29 of 55 Old 07-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
We use K12 through a virtual academy. Our first year we paid for it....IMO it's not worth the money if you can get it for free. Just make sure to mark attendence everyday and steadily move through the curriculum at your child's pace and they leave you alone My dd sometimes takes 3 or 4 days to do one math lesson because that lesson is a hard one for her. So she gets to mark attendance everyday for doing math even though she only did one lesson. You just have to take a deep breath and say inside your head while the teacher is talking to you, "What you don't know won't hurt you and our life is none of your business." For this you get a curriculum that is all laid out for you, that your older children can even do independantly , that normally costs well over $1000 a year, for FREE.
Will the school allow you to work over the summer? We do all our vacations, etc during the fall/spring/winter. Trevor was absent enough at school that they sent me a nasty gram saying it was my responsibilty to make sure my son attended school or he would fall behind everyone (which he wasn't). I am interested in being able to do year round school and taking a couple weeks off every few months. Would a vs be open to this? I kept reading how we were bound by the school calendar and I was afraid we would get behind. One of the biggest reasons I am homeschooling is for the freedom to choose when we homeschool and the idea of being tied to a specific number of schooling days with someone else telling me when to take my days off really kept me from using a vs. I am a sucker for a gorgeous day to get out to hike and have a picnic, or go sledding on a snowy day, etc so I don't mind paying for the freedom to use my own calendar!

#30 of 55 Old 07-28-2007, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Will the school allow you to work over the summer? We do all our vacations, etc during the fall/spring/winter. Trevor was absent enough at school that they sent me a nasty gram saying it was my responsibilty to make sure my son attended school or he would fall behind everyone (which he wasn't). I am interested in being able to do year round school and taking a couple weeks off every few months. Would a vs be open to this? I kept reading how we were bound by the school calendar and I was afraid we would get behind. One of the biggest reasons I am homeschooling is for the freedom to choose when we homeschool and the idea of being tied to a specific number of schooling days with someone else telling me when to take my days off really kept me from using a vs. I am a sucker for a gorgeous day to get out to hike and have a picnic, or go sledding on a snowy day, etc so I don't mind paying for the freedom to use my own calendar!
You can work where and when you want. You can mark things complete and progress through the curriculum on weekends, holidays, summer etc. You just can't mark attendance on non-school days. The Online School is down for "Reboot" for about 1 week in august, but it's up the rest of the time for you to use as you like. If you go sledding on a day, mark attendance for PE that day. Your child just has to be marked present for at least one subject each day, and non-k12 activities cound for attendance if you can fit them into a subject category.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :

User Tag List