Mind your own beeswax, ********! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 103 Old 07-31-2007, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blessed- Yes, I believe so. But, unless only one child at a time was allowed in the bathroom I don't think this could be a "guaranteed" system (we recently had a case in our neighborhood library that a teenager was trying to lure small children out of the children's section with promises of Pokemon cards).

And even when my son went into the bathroom I could see a grandfather with a child-- so it was clear that the bathroom "policy" was being violated.

I should check back and see what the current policy is-- I am sure it must have been changed because it just was really out of the bounds of a parent's sense of safety.

But, back to your original post, I am so sorry that your library system is so antiquated. Children should be encouraged to imagine, flourish and experience the astonishing freedom and amazing journeys that reading books and our library provide!

I love, love, love our library (we just rode our bikes there today!)
#92 of 103 Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 PM

That is crazy and so sad. Our libraries have always been so outstanding and I've gotten used to it. My son is always engaging the librarian to help him find books from a specific series or author or on a subject. They are always happy to spend as much time as he needs helping him out. There are no strange policies and they are genuinely glad to see us. We have cards at 2 different systems and the first has a check-out limit of 99 books and the second 300 books. We also use the hold feature and ILL extensively. I always figured they were so happy for us to use their services because I'm sure they justify their budgets by spending money and serving patrons

I would go up the chain in command and not only complain about the librarian and her attitude but also about the unrealistic new policy.

Good luck!
Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#93 of 103 Old 08-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
Wow, can I go to your library?

Our librarians mostly ignore the kids, which (given some of the alternatives presented on this thread) looks good by comparison; however, whenever I've asked librarians for a book recommendation for my DD, the first thing they want to know about her is her age.

The problem with that is that her age and reading level are very different, and if I gave the age, they'd basically give me the wrong kind of book. This has happened even when I have said, "She's X years old, but reads at Y grade level." They've blown past "...but reads at Y grade level" and gotten books appropriate for an X-year-old. VERY FRUSTRATING. Finally, I simply refused to say and tried to gently redirect. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, I'm looking for a book for my dd.
Lib: How old is she?
Me: She loves all the Harry Potter books and has just finished OOP. She also loves Wrinkle in Time.
Lib: Well...is she in grade school? What grade is she in?
Me: We homeschool, so she's all over the place. Anyway, she also loves Eragon and has also read all the Unfortunate Events books. Do you have anything else that's not necessarily a series, but which preferably has a female heroine and is well-written and interesting?
Lib: Okay, well, you said she's how old?
Me: I didn't, but would you mind recommending a book for her?

ARRRGH.
I agree that the idea of age=reading level is absurd, is it possible she was inquiring age to make sure the subject material was appropriate? It may be a "cover their rump" thing to make sure they are not sending you home to a pre-preteen with subject matter more appropriate to a 14 or 15 yr old.
Maybe?
#94 of 103 Old 08-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clane View Post
I agree that the idea of age=reading level is absurd, is it possible she was inquiring age to make sure the subject material was appropriate? It may be a "cover their rump" thing to make sure they are not sending you home to a pre-preteen with subject matter more appropriate to a 14 or 15 yr old.
Maybe?
I agree... I would probably recommend different books to a 6 year old and a 12 year old, even if they were reading at the same level. I don't consider it a CYA thing, even, but just being concerned with developmental appropriateness. For example, I wouldn't recommend The Giver to the former, but I might to the latter.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#95 of 103 Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 PM

Yes, asking about age doesn't seem that crazy to me. We recently asked for some mystery recommendations. Well, at 6 ds isn't ready for Hardy Boys but is enjoying some Famous Five, Cynthia Rylant's mysteries, etc. So I don't think giving up his age when asking for recs is a problem.
#96 of 103 Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post
Yes, asking about age doesn't seem that crazy to me. We recently asked for some mystery recommendations. Well, at 6 ds isn't ready for Hardy Boys but is enjoying some Famous Five, Cynthia Rylant's mysteries, etc. So I don't think giving up his age when asking for recs is a problem.
OT, but can I just say we *love* Rylant's work here.
#97 of 103 Old 08-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Thinker View Post
My local library is awful, too, and we live rurally so there isn't another option right now. They recently put up a "no public restroom" policy, and have told my 2 and 4 year olds, while they are saying "Need to go pee, Mom" that they will have to go across the street to the courthouse. I have cleaned up a minimum of 3 potty messes that would have never happened b/c of htat policy adn I am not going back until it's changed. I have called the library board and complained (months ago) adn they decided (durring thier once per quarter meeting) that they didn't care, they were not changing the policy. So, now I have called several city council members and the local daycare centers who parton the library and we are all going before the library board in August. I am seriously hoping those old biddies (all retired school teachers DH hated in school) change the policy b/c after this the gloves are off and I'm starting letting writing to the local paper and the local TV station. That's just WRONG! They do have a perfectly fine facility, they just don't want anyone to use it, and I offered several suggestions such as making it have a key, asking children under a certain age to be acc. by an adult, ect, or at LEAST letting us use it in the case of emergencies, but they are unwilling to do that. I cannot just sit and take it, I pay my taxes and want to be able to use the library. I have small kids and they deserve to be allowed to use the library w/o embarassing messes. (BTW, my kids are both PT and have been for some time, they just cannot hold it 10 minutes until we get from the library to the grocerystore, in and out of hte carseats, ect.).
Wow--that is just ridiculous! I hope your voice is heard loudly at the meeting.
#98 of 103 Old 08-01-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
The problem with that is that her age and reading level are very different, and if I gave the age, they'd basically give me the wrong kind of book. This has happened even when I have said, "She's X years old, but reads at Y grade level." They've blown past "...but reads at Y grade level" and gotten books appropriate for an X-year-old. VERY FRUSTRATING. Finally, I simply refused to say and tried to gently redirect. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, I'm looking for a book for my dd.
Lib: How old is she?
Me: She loves all the Harry Potter books and has just finished OOP. She also loves Wrinkle in Time.
Lib: Well...is she in grade school? What grade is she in?
Me: We homeschool, so she's all over the place. Anyway, she also loves Eragon and has also read all the Unfortunate Events books. Do you have anything else that's not necessarily a series, but which preferably has a female heroine and is well-written and interesting?
Lib: Okay, well, you said she's how old?
Me: I didn't, but would you mind recommending a book for her?

ARRRGH.
I think it just hurts their heads when they can't fit your child into a box. Afterall, the library arrangement is all about categorizing! People do this stuff to me all the time and I'm tired of it too. If you skip the whole age/grade discussion and ask for a book at a X reading level, would that help? You should be able to get help with the info you gave, but I think librarians simply can't function without a number to guide them.
#99 of 103 Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I agree... I would probably recommend different books to a 6 year old and a 12 year old, even if they were reading at the same level. I don't consider it a CYA thing, even, but just being concerned with developmental appropriateness. For example, I wouldn't recommend The Giver to the former, but I might to the latter.

Dar
I can see the concern, but I think it would be best to let the parent decide. What would be the problem with saying, "The Giver is a wonderful book, but it contains some serious issues of death and loss that you might want to pre-read or screen, depending on your child"?

FWIW, my dd loved The Giver and went on to read several more Lois Lowry books because of it.
#100 of 103 Old 08-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMamma View Post
I think it just hurts their heads when they can't fit your child into a box. Afterall, the library arrangement is all about categorizing! People do this stuff to me all the time and I'm tired of it too. If you skip the whole age/grade discussion and ask for a book at a X reading level, would that help? You should be able to get help with the info you gave, but I think librarians simply can't function without a number to guide them.
That's what I was trying to do in listing the books I did -- to give them a relative idea of what she enjoyed and what she was capable of reading.
#101 of 103 Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 AM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Thinker View Post
They recently put up a "no public restroom" policy, and have told my 2 and 4 year olds, while they are saying "Need to go pee, Mom" that they will have to go across the street to the courthouse.

Good thing the "public" isn't paying for those public restrooms. :

That's just terrible.
#102 of 103 Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
"Hugging distance?!"

Imagine a mom with three or four little ones in that age range? They'd have to form a little huddle and bustle together through the stacks like this to meet the criterion. How ridiculous. How about making rules about respect for property and other patrons regardless of age?
I'd be completely screwed.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#103 of 103 Old 08-03-2007, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our library rocks, btw. I've been on a homeschooling focus group, they're building a new children's wing, and they're going to do a multi-age homeschool story/activity/library skills time this year. We're very blessed.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page