Mind your own beeswax, ********! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved to a new community and are going to a different public library. Our old library was phenomenal for children's services, and the librarians were outstanding. Their philosophy was hey! whatever keeps the kids coming back to the library and using the services! So they were wonderfully tolerant of rambunctious play and other normal childhood behaviors.

Our new library has the stereotypical bitter old lady type librarians who seem bound and determined to keep the books locked up and clean, out of reach of those pesky clients who keep trying to check them out and actually read them.

They have a table of computers set up, and dd and I both have our own library cards with computer access privileges. Dd is 3.5 yo, but is completely media literate. She independently plays on the computer, puts in DVDs and runs the DVD player, so forth. Yesterday dd ran over to a computer, clicked on internet explorer, typed in 'starfall', pulled up Starfall.com and started playing games, just like she does on our home computer. I was sitting about 15 feet away in a reading area looking at magazines.

After a few minutes a librarian comes out from behind the desk and goes up to dd. She says 'honey, you aren't allowed to play on the computers.' At our old library the kids had to 'sign in' to play, which was just another way to encourage them to write their names in the lines, so forth. At this library they have a real sign in sheet, and dd had dutifully scribbled her 'M' and squiggles in the line, just as she knew she should. So dd just pointed to the sign in sheet, showing the lady that she was signed in to use the computer .

The ***** looks and says 'this paper is for grown ups. You're not to write on this. Where is your mother?' Dd points over at me and I smile, kind of frigidly, IYKWIM.

***** says "ma'am, these computers are not children's toys."

I said "My daughter is logged in on an educational children's website called Starfall, which is an excellent resource for early reading skills. I'm surprised you're not familiar with it. She has her own library card which includes computer access privileges. She's using the computer completely responsibly and appropriately, and she is signed in. So what's the problem?"

***** glared at me, turned and glared at the screen, glared at dd's sweet conerned face, turned and went back behind the desk. I told dd to go ahead and finish her game and I finished reading my magazine.

The ******* !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Good for your dd -- you must have been proud that she's so independent and did everything "right." FYI, though, I'm pretty sure that "no name calling" includes older women of a cranky persuasion.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:06 PM

Ugh. I'm a librarian and my children's librarian co-worker is like this. I can't stand people on a power trips like that.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I'll edit if I'm forced to.

This same lady tried to block dd from checking out a stack of books the first day we went. She counted them and said "You have ten books here!" I thought she was complimenting us for reading so much to dd and just kind of smiled and nodded. But she said "You can't check out this many books at one time!" :

I was surprised and said I wasn't aware of any limit on the number of books. And to be honest, this was a small stack for us. Usually we bring a canvas grocery bag and fill it up - probably more like twenty or thirty books. We go to the library about once or twice per week, so it's not like we have them for long.

She thought and said "Well, I'm not sure if there's an actual policy. But I just don't think it's a good idea to take this many books at once."

Good grief. These are children's books, yk? Dd runs through five or ten at any given session of us reading to her, and we read to her every day.

It just really surprised and disappointed me, the difference in the attitudes towards the kids reading and learning. At our old library they would beam smiles at us and tell dd what a lucky girl she was to get so many books to read.

I guess I'm missing our old library a lot .
Old 07-27-2007, 05:11 PM

How awful!!! I mean, it's a library! For public usage! Paid for with public dollars! For pete's sake... Good for you for having your wits about you. I can never think of an appropriate reply in times like those, and I usually just sputter angrily

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 07-27-2007, 05:14 PM

first of all, i think it's absolutely amazing what your dd is able to do! i have a little starfall lover here too, she's only 20 months but i am amazed at how much she's figured out so far. did you just let her try things on your home computer? at what age was she able to independently media literate?

as for this lady with the nasty attitude, i'm sorry that you had to deal with that but it sounds like you and your dd handled it wonderfully...kudos!

now i'm going to have to report your post for a ua violation...don't you know you can't call anyone a geriatric flying nocturnal mammal? JUST KIDDING!!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
... i have a little starfall lover here too, she's only 20 months but i am amazed at how much she's figured out so far. did you just let her try things on your home computer? at what age was she able to independently media literate?
My dh is an IT project manager, so he gets a brand new, top of the line laptop pretty much every year. So after three years, he's got one, I've got one, and dd's got one! :

Once at our old library a mom was watching dd negotiate the computer and she asked 'gosh, how did you teach her that?'

And I told her 'pretty much, I just LET her play on the computer', which is really true. Kids are such amazing learners, and if it's something they're interested in, all you have to do is just stay out their way, it seems. I think we're lucky to have the resources that we do, so that we don't get bent out of shape about jelly fingerprints on the screen or the fact that the CD player is broken after falling off the bed. Because it's her computer, yk?

The first time I realized dd was so independent was at about 2.5 yo. She was watching a movie when dh called us to dinner. Dd got up, hit 'pause' and started down the stairs. I said "Dd! How did you know how to pause that?!" And she answered all matter-of-factly: "it's dinner time, Mom!"
Old 07-27-2007, 05:25 PM

wow. this sounds like the librarian in our little town.
once my then 3 year old DS was looking at a book, and dropped it, and it made a sound (GASP!) and she came over and shook her finger in his face and said "bad boy!" and put the book back. Ds then started to cry, and she started SCREAMING at me and DS. THIS IS A LIBRARY, IF YOU CANT SHUT HIM UP GET OUT NOW! We left and never went back. Oh, and by the way, there wasnt a single other person in that library.
we go to the library in the next town, and have to pay for it, but its worth it.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
Old 07-27-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00 View Post
We left and never went back...
This is EXACTLY what is NOT supposed to happen! People are supposed to feel supported and welcome at their libraries.

That person should be reassigned to a position not working with the public.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
I said "My daughter is logged in on an educational children's website called Starfall, which is an excellent resource for early reading skills. I'm surprised you're not familiar with it. She has her own library card which includes computer access privileges. She's using the computer completely responsibly and appropriately, and she is signed in. So what's the problem?"

Biddy glared at me, turned and glared at the screen, glared at dd's sweet conerned face, turned and went back behind the desk. I told dd to go ahead and finish her game and I finished reading my magazine.

The old bat !

YOU'RE MY HERO! i'm so non-confrontational and i hate that about myself! i'm so proud of you...ha ha, not that you were looking for a stranger to praise you (don't tell anyone in the gentle discipline forum ) Great Job!!! mama!!!!! you completely stood up for your dd, .....and that lady stinks.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 07-27-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
YOU'RE MY HERO! i'm so non-confrontational...
I don't *ahem* have too much trouble with confrontation typically

But thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hmm...I'll edit if I'm forced to.

This same lady tried to block dd from checking out a stack of books the first day we went. She counted them and said "You have ten books here!" I thought she was complimenting us for reading so much to dd and just kind of smiled and nodded. But she said "You can't check out this many books at one time!" :

I was surprised and said I wasn't aware of any limit on the number of books. And to be honest, this was a small stack for us. Usually we bring a canvas grocery bag and fill it up - probably more like twenty or thirty books. We go to the library about once or twice per week, so it's not like we have them for long.

She thought and said "Well, I'm not sure if there's an actual policy. But I just don't think it's a good idea to take this many books at once."

Good grief. These are children's books, yk? Dd runs through five or ten at any given session of us reading to her, and we read to her every day.

It just really surprised and disappointed me, the difference in the attitudes towards the kids reading and learning. At our old library they would beam smiles at us and tell dd what a lucky girl she was to get so many books to read.

I guess I'm missing our old library a lot .
wow, that's seriously messed up! she's supposed to be SUPPORTING literacy and love of books, for goodness sakes!

dd is like that, too...she's not yet 2 but she brings over books one by one, and the next thing you know, we've read through a pile of 20 of them. then she's ready to start over, and read them AGAIN!!

needless to say i've gotten really good at reading upside down.

thanks for your tips in your previous post, isn't it so amazing what the little ones absorb? a few days ago i discovered dd sitting on the couch by herself with our digital camera, she had turned it on and she was happily scrolling through the photos and making comments about each one. "ohhh, kira, beach!", "pool, swim, jump!" and "uncle d!". she even knew how to make the little video clips play. i don't know how she figured it out but she did and was using it completely safely and appropriately.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:59 PM

I can't believe she complained about ten books!

They must not have many homeschoolers come in!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Kudos to you!

I probably would have just glared at her and left.

We have a witchy librarian...everyone knows her hours and many "don't go" when she is working.

On the flip side, I just applied to work as a librarian at a county library and vow to be a child-friendly one!

kathy
Old 07-27-2007, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post

That was the main reason I posted this in the Learning at Home forum. I figured you guys would understand library issues better than just about any other collective group on the board.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:07 PM

10 Books is too many :

Our library when when we joined I asked the limit. The lady said dont worry about it, its like a couple hundred dollars value of the books :

We check out books for the 3 girls dh and myself and have never hit the "limit"

Our old library had a biddy for a librarian. She like me and dh but to most people she was nasty.

Such a good way to discourage people from taking advantage of all those wonderful books.

I like the op comeback
Old 07-27-2007, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Honest to Pete! She really does have a problem. Can you figure out her work schedule and try to avoid her?!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhemina View Post
Honest to Pete! She really does have a problem. Can you figure out her work schedule and try to avoid her?!
Ah, I just ignore her.

Like in this case, I just chirped up "No policy? In that case we'll be taking all ten!" :
Old 07-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love hearing about new websites!! Never heard of starfall!! I bet my little ones will love it!!

Thanks and way to go speaking your mind!! Bravo
Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Oh yeah, we have librarians like that, too. Some of them are great, and some are so awful. Totally on powertrips, like they transferred them over from the DMV.

We've been scolded for returning the books to the book slot instead of just setting them on the counter because then they have to bend over an entire foot to get them out. If it's so hard, why in the world do they have it? Of course kids are going to want to use it.

Mommy to kids

Old 07-27-2007, 07:35 PM

OP - you rock. Your DD rocks, too!

About a week ago I took my girls to the library and there happened to be some group there. We just stayed out of the way & let that group of kids do their thing. I found a comfy chair & started to read a book to the girls when a little girl, about 4-ish, came over nearby to a table full of coloring sheets and took one, proceeding to write on the top - her name, I assumed. The "leader" of whatever this group is RACED over, grabbed it, and hollored "You're WRITING ON THIS!" Um, it was a coloring page! Get a grip, lady! : What WERE they for??

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:07 PM

Aw man, am I ever grateful for our amazing library where all the children's librarians know my two-year-old by name and a little about which books she likes.

I asked for mermaid books the last time we were in, and two librarians spent about ten minutes going back and forth finding books and discussing reading level and scary content issues with me. They really *care* about finding the right books, even for a two-year-old, even if the right books might be off the beaten path. (For the record, none of the books was the Disney novelization.)

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:33 AM

I am ever grateful for our librarian too ... she'll even call me to tell me when Borders or B&N is having an "educators" discount sale so I can go get homeschooling books.

OP - you rock! I am so thankful we don't have librarians like that ... all of ours are wonderful. I still remember the childrens' librarian from when I was little and she was cool too.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 07-28-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post

Really.

The kids and I have 3 library cards between us and we frequently fill up at least 2 cards, 50 books EACH card. The librarians compliment us on "keeping the library open". We are the customers, we keep their circulation up. It would seriously depress me to have the "cranky" woman discourage us from checking books out. Do they have a director you can call?

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 07-28-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
10 Books is too many :

Our library when when we joined I asked the limit. The lady said dont worry about it, its like a couple hundred dollars value of the books :

We check out books for the 3 girls dh and myself and have never hit the "limit"

Our old library had a biddy for a librarian. She like me and dh but to most people she was nasty.

Such a good way to discourage people from taking advantage of all those wonderful books.

I like the op comeback
ours used to not have any limits, and it rocked, we get alot out for ds and myself. Now they have a new policy of only 3 per author/subject/type so im only allowed to get 3 kids books

so we go to the other 2 close towns librarys where there are no limits.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:28 AM

Ughh I really dislike mean librarians. We have that problem here. The librarian wouldn't let me in to story time with DS one day because we didn't get there 15 minutes early.

Then another day they kicked us out because DS was talking too loudly. We were the only people in the children's library at that point. :
Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
once my then 3 year old DS was looking at a book, and dropped it, and it made a sound (GASP!) and she came over and shook her finger in his face and said "bad boy!" and put the book back. Ds then started to cry, and she started SCREAMING at me and DS. THIS IS A LIBRARY, IF YOU CANT SHUT HIM UP GET OUT NOW! We left and never went back.
That is the worst bad library experience I think I have ever heard of.
What a bat!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:30 AM

Oh gosh, she would hate us!

We fill up our wagon with books every Wednesday. Usually somewhere around 30-50 books, DVD, books on tape, magazines and computer programs at a time.

Not to mention that my 2 year old has no volume control.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
thanks for your tips in your previous post, isn't it so amazing what the little ones absorb? a few days ago i discovered dd sitting on the couch by herself with our digital camera, she had turned it on and she was happily scrolling through the photos and making comments about each one. "ohhh, kira, beach!", "pool, swim, jump!" and "uncle d!". she even knew how to make the little video clips play. i don't know how she figured it out but she did and was using it completely safely and appropriately.
I'm thoroughly convinced that this is because they aren't afraid they'll break it. They aren't afraid to push all the buttons to see what will happen. LOL I tend to be much more careful and make sure I don't push the wrong thing - forever causing my camera/computer/dvd to never function again. But man, these kids just whip through the stuff w/out any hesitation - learning how it works along the way.
When my eldest DD was around 2, she was just poking away at my mom's computer keyboard (at her job) and caused the computer to do something that the IT people had been actively trying to make it do. They were never able to make it happen again.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natensarah View Post
Oh yeah, we have librarians like that, too. Some of them are great, and some are so awful. Totally on powertrips, like they transferred them over from the DMV.
: Great analogy!!

Ten books? Gosh, we'll get 10 books, each, on a first pass near the easy reader stacks. And there are 4 of us grabbing and gathering. Then there are the ones we actually look for. Oh, and don't forget the 5 or more already on hold for us... Grrrrrr to her for giving you a hard time: She needs a new job. We have upwards of 90 items checked out at once on a regular basis- we'd probably give her an aneurism if she saw our account
OP, to your response to her re: the computer usage!

User Tag List