How much do you spend on your child's curriculum? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you spend on curriculum per year?
2000$ + 3 37.50%
1500$ - 1999$ 0 0%
1000$ - 1499$ 6 75.00%
500$ - 999$ 17 100.00%
250$ - 499$ 38 100.00%
100$ - 249$ 23 100.00%
0$ - 99$ 17 100.00%
other, please explain 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 08-01-2007, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We're basically unschoolers, so I don't need to buy much of anything. If I wasn't able to borrow from a friend, I would purchase a math textbook (to use as a resource, not to follow strictly like a curriculum).

I'll probably get some kind of Hebrew language curriculum, since we didn't do very well last year just learning together out of a textbook.

I can't imagine spending over $100 total on materials, so that's how I voted. I could be wrong and end up in the next higher bracket though.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#32 of 48 Old 08-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't respond to the poll, because I'm still buying stuff so I don't know. But I just wanted to say our local private school charges $250/month. That's at least $2000/year, so I figure as long as I don't go too much over that it's "reasonable". (And I don't think I'm going to spend anywhere close to that - and I plan to reuse it.)

Mama to three  
#33 of 48 Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 PM

I've spent about 300 and it's all reusable resources. This is our first year and I'm just trying to put interesting things around that my son can use when he wants to. I'll spend more on art supplies and books to read as I find them.

:
#34 of 48 Old 08-01-2007, 02:05 PM

I'm on some yahoo groups for Waldorf and Oak meadow supplies and at least Oak Meadow has a good resale value. I'd say $200 is not unreasonable (sometimes more- up to $300) for a $350-400 curriculum when it was new. I'd like to see them cheaper myself being more on the buying side with 4 daughters, but I've found better deals here and there.

Leslie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies so far --

OK - good point every one is making about being able to reuse some of this. I really should be asking how much you spend on your oldest child. But my baby is 4.5 years younger than my DD - can I really reuse stuff for him? Is there any limit you all set for reusing curricula on the younger kids? Case in point: last year the # of planets changed from 9 to 8 -- think of all the other advances we might have in the next 5 years that will make the curricula I buy today obsolete!
#35 of 48 Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Actual curriculum, hmmm.... about 5 dollars(at goodwill and salvation army) ha ha. I use non-curriculum books mostly and some free online curriculum. Some books were expensive, some ten cents.

Total, I'm guessing, because I didn't count: around 85 dollars

I'm not counting the violin and music books!
#36 of 48 Old 08-01-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Really enjoying reading everyone’s experiences

Well, since starting this thread, I’ve fine-tuned my approach a bit. I’ll be pulling lots of things in from all sorts of different places. But it’s still turning out expensive. Two main reasons:

1. Science kits. I’ve bought 13 so far from various places. My DD is so excited about these (in fact, she wants school to start NOW so we can dig into the kits) and I bet we will buy more. And now it looks like I will have to buy a microscope because when I told her I was thinking about buying one she went on and on for THREE SOLID HOURS about all the things she’d like to examine and experiments she’d like to try. So that’s 400-500$ on JUST science right there! For a 5-year-old! :

2. Teaching manuals. This is a need I bet I will outgrow, but right now I’m feeling like I need lots of guidance & supplemental materials for things like history and geography and such. Those are my weak areas and it is a really expensive part.

So far, still less than private school though. And as I get more comfortable with it in future years, I bet I spend less.
#37 of 48 Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
2. Teaching manuals. This is a need I bet I will outgrow, but right now I’m feeling like I need lots of guidance & supplemental materials for things like history and geography and such. Those are my weak areas and it is a really expensive part.
It's my weakest area too, but that hasn't stopped my son from inhaling atlases like they're candy.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#38 of 48 Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 AM

We are using Calvert K this year and it was 499. BUT to that I add: violin lessons, karate, Awana, and Upward Soccer. The music lessons count as part of our fine arts and the karate and soccer are our PE. Next year we will be classical homeschoolers, but for this year I needed a tick the box type curriculum (to prove to myself that we could do this!)
Michele
#39 of 48 Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
And you always spend more the first yr or 2 on long term supplies like maps, reference books on science, nature, history, etc, globes, art supplies, games, etc
This thread has made me feel so much better. Right now I'm at $290 and I'm not done buying for the year. :
#40 of 48 Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 AM

Astromom-- go check out the National Geographic Xpeditions site-- geography lesson plans, free online and loads of fun stuff. I just found it today!

#41 of 48 Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Eilonwy, thanks - those are GREAT! They are bookmarked over here now Great find!
#42 of 48 Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 AM

Pretty close to nothing. Some arts supplies and a few reading books. We're unschoolers and I've found there really isn't anything that we need to buy right now that we don't already have here, or get from the library etc.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#43 of 48 Old 08-03-2007, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninevp922 View Post
I didn't respond to the poll, because I'm still buying stuff so I don't know. But I just wanted to say our local private school charges $250/month. That's at least $2000/year, so I figure as long as I don't go too much over that it's "reasonable". (And I don't think I'm going to spend anywhere close to that - and I plan to reuse it.)
This what I tell my dh all the time. Our local private school is $13,000 a year, not including uniforms and extra-curricular stuff. So, by my calculations, we are waaaaaaaaaay under budget.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#44 of 48 Old 08-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
Our local private school is $13,000 a year

:

Mama to three  
#45 of 48 Old 08-03-2007, 09:03 PM

Private school in our area runs $13,00+ too.

I figure if I homeschooled both of my boys, I could spend literally thousands of dollars on trips (to Washington DC, NASA, the Grand Canyon, heck, even Europe) and still come out cheaper than sending them both to private school.

This is the tuition listing for one of the schools in our area:
http://www.portergaud.edu/admissions...ndfeessche.asp

Feel better about those books you ordered now?

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#46 of 48 Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM

I attended two different private schools for grades 2-6; I don't know how much they cost, tuition-wise, but I do know this: my mother never paid more than $30/month to send *four* of us to the first school, and she never paid a dime for me to attend the second. I received the first *complete* scholarship that school had ever offered to a student-- they even paid for my books and uniforms (not included in tuition). I'd be very curious about the amount of financial aid offered. In most cases, homeschooling is no doubt less expensive, but not always.

#47 of 48 Old 08-05-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
We're using a cyber charter school... so everything is free; books, workbooks, even 'extras' like the books we'll need to read over the course of the year and the really nice paintbrushes and tempra and clay that they recommend. I went out and bought the supplies that were not provided, but which we'll need anyway-- crayons, kid's scissors, glue sticks, pencil boxes, and I'm including a new, more-family-friendly planner for me. Oh, and a giant calendar for the wall (the boy NEEDS a schedule, otherwise he'll sit and do math or history all. day. long.). I spent a grand total of $30 on these supplies, for two children (the BooBah insists on participating) but on curriculum I spent only a half an hour of time.
Can I ask what cyber school you're using? I'm considering the K12 system, but am still researching . . .

Thanks!

http://k12.com/curriculum_and_produc...iew/index.html

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#48 of 48 Old 08-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
Can I ask what cyber school you're using? I'm considering the K12 system, but am still researching . . .

Thanks!

http://k12.com/curriculum_and_produc...iew/index.html

It's a K12 school, too. Agora Cyber Charter School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page