How much do you spend on your child's curriculum? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you spend on curriculum per year?
2000$ + 3 37.50%
1500$ - 1999$ 0 0%
1000$ - 1499$ 6 75.00%
500$ - 999$ 17 100.00%
250$ - 499$ 38 100.00%
100$ - 249$ 23 100.00%
0$ - 99$ 17 100.00%
other, please explain 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking at (and really overwhelmed by) curriculum choices. I want a LOT of things! (I know I can get stuff for free on-line and I've been doing that for years now.) I want to do a put-together-already type of curriculum starting this fall for my 5 year old, but it's going to be expensive to do this the way I would like! For example, I just priced my ideal curriculum from Harcourt and it was 2000$! I'm not going to spend that, but it got me wondering what other families spend.

ETA I guess I am asking how much per child per year.
ETA again -- no, I actually want to know how much you spend on your oldest child, since your younger ones can share some of it later.
#2 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 06:11 PM

we unschool, so no carriculum, but we do spend around $300 on books, per child, per year.
#3 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 07:31 PM

I said $249-499 per child but A LOT of the material can/will be used for multiple kids. The history program we'll use this yr was about $150 including all the readers and act bks but it will be used for 2 kids.
And you always spend more the first yr or 2 on long term supplies like maps, reference books on science, nature, history, etc, globes, art supplies, games, etc
I bet I spent over $2000 the first yr but you should see our home library! I also bought lots of games, science stuff, etc I bought most of it used/thrift stores so my money went FAR.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#4 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 07:49 PM

preschool- $0 for curriculum
K- $0 for curriculum
1st- approx $300 on curriculum
2nd- plan to spend about $175 on curriculm

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#5 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Hmm hard to say per child as much of what I buy will either get used now as a group or will be used later my kids #2, 3 and 4. I also don't buy a package but rather pull together various programs and materials to make my own.
This year has been expensive as my oldest has asked for some specifics like Latin and French and Algebra that I needed to buy. I'm using curriculum materials that will cost about $650 if I bought new all at once and only used it for him. However all but about $35 of that will be used for successive kids and/or used over a period of years (ie Bravewriter, Hands on Algebra, Rosetta Stone) with him. And much of it I have bought used or on sale over time and have probably spent about 50-60% of the cost of new.
I spent about $35-50 for each of my middles so far for next year and nothing for my youngest who is only just 4.

For us more money is spent on programs and field trips and supplemental stuff (books, craft stuff, science supplies etc) than on curriculum.

HTH
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#6 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 08:46 PM

For 3 children we probably spend around 1000-2000$ Dh's rational is that it is still far less than private school. We are using Calvert this year, and it does add up. Last year we used Sonlight, and that was over $800.

But there are SO many ways to do it for not so much. www.hillbillyhousewife.com has a free curriculum with links to free resources..math, reading, etc. Ambleside Online can mostly be done fromt he library and online.

I just need a laid out curriculum...or nothing happens. :
#7 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 PM

I spent about $350 setting ds up for 1st grade. The History will last us half-way into 2nd, as will the Science I purchased for 1st. And also, little ds will get to use everything too, I'll just need new consumables.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#8 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 09:18 PM

I just counted specific curriculum items such as Miquon Math and Cuisenaire rods.

Everything else, such as gym lessons, books, or zoo & museum passes I would have purchased anyways so I didn't count that.
#9 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies so far --

OK - good point every one is making about being able to reuse some of this. I really should be asking how much you spend on your oldest child. But my baby is 4.5 years younger than my DD - can I really reuse stuff for him? Is there any limit you all set for reusing curricula on the younger kids? Case in point: last year the # of planets changed from 9 to 8 -- think of all the other advances we might have in the next 5 years that will make the curricula I buy today obsolete!
#10 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 09:41 PM

We spent about $500 it will be reusable for dd#2

BUT next time we order I think I will be switching curriculums
#11 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 10:45 PM

Hi MDC buddy!

I've decided to use Oak Meadow with my son for first grade for the fall. I received my last items last week (I got mostly used) and I really like what I'm seeing/reading!

It cost me total about $350-400 including craft materials, etc for the year.

So how are you working homeschooling into your schedule? Or should I say: how are you working your schedule around homeschooling ?

Let us know what you pick!
#12 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hmmm...we don't use a curriculum, but I seem to spend loads on all sorts of books, piano lessons, gymnastics, swimming, butterfly kits, science experiments, art supplies, garden tools...etc, etc, etc. $1000 to $2000 a year would be my best guess if I included everything. All this stuff is part of our learning.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#13 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 PM

this is our first year hs'ing. we'll be doing Kindergarten/1st grade with Enki. i spent $790, i think. i am pretty sure we are going to do something for spanish too.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#14 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 PM

The only curriculum we use is Saxon Math with runs us around $100 a year but we spent approximately $1500 last year on various educational-related books, field trips, supplies, website memberships and stuff.
#15 of 48 Old 07-28-2007, 11:20 PM

I said 1,000+ but then I was including books and educational type games and things in that. I call all of that 'curriculum' because curriculum is simply your course of study it doesn't have to be something that comes all together in a box. I didn't include my daughters dance class lessons, but from the defination below, everything is 'curriculum'

From Wikipedia
"In the first published textbook on “Curriculum” in 1918, John Franklin Bobbitt noted that the idea of curriculum has its roots in the Latin word for a race-course, and explained curriculum as the course of deeds and experiences in which children become the adults that they should be, for success in adult society. He explained, further, that curriculum must be understood as encompassing not only those experiences that take place within schools, but the entire scope of formative experience both within and outside of schools. Further, this includes experiences that are not planned or directed, as well as experiences that are intentionally directed (in or out of school) for the purposeful formation of adult members of society.

So if someone is grilling you on using a curriculum you can quite honestly say "Yes we use a curriculum!"
#16 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 02:08 AM

I voted $500-999.

I guess that would be right for this year, based on how much I spent on my oldest child. That said, right now we're using Winter Promise, and all four of my kids are using the books together. I also spent more this year than I usually do because we moved to a new area and I wasn't sure what the library in our new town would be like. Rather than rely on the library for readers, I chose to expand our home library.

If I were to break down how much I spent on curriculum this year, strictly per child, I would be in the $100-249 category.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#17 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 02:12 AM

We compose our own ecclectic, classical-inspired, semi-unschooly program for dd. But it's maybe $300 dollars per year for books, supplies, and activities. Well worth it, though.
#18 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 AM

I voted $250 - $499, but it's closer to the lower end of that range for now. (My oldest is doing mostly 2nd grade level work.) I take full advantage of the library for many, many of our suplimental books. Both our history and science curricula use "real" books in addition to, or instead of text books. I pick and choose curricula rather than buying a packaged set from one publisher. I think this saves money over-all for our family based on the way we homeschool. (We only use curriculum for a few "core" subjects with dd -- math, history, and science right now.)

Also, that figure only includes curriculum intended for "formal" study, since that seems to be what you are asking about. If I added in all the other books, toys, games, trips, etc. that have any educational benenfit whatsoever, the figure might be higher, and much more difficult for me to estimate!

Although we try to keep costs down, I've found that in many cases it's worth it not to try to go too cheap. Our math and science curricula are both on the pricey end, but well worth it in quality. We tried a cheaper science curriculm, for example, but found it boring and uninspiring. The one we use now is much better for dd, who really craves more in-depth exposure to scientific concepts.

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#19 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 08:24 AM

I bought Enki K which was about $475 after shipping I think. I selected th3 $500-$999 choice though cuz we're also going to buy supplies and I include that.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#20 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 09:16 AM

when all is said and done, i've probably spent TONS of money on curriculum, ....but what i actually plan to use this year is a different story with that, i've probably spent a couple of hundred bucks, but that includes everything from books to crayons, markers, etc. i use freecycle a lot,.... in fact i'm going to pick up TONS of easy readers and chapter books today after church - that will save me a lot. plus, i always buy used from www.vegsource.com or www.homeschoolclassifieds.com & i love thrift stores for books too.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#21 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Everyone's posts have been really interesting and informative! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwomantomars View Post
Hi MDC buddy!

So how are you working homeschooling into your schedule? Or should I say: how are you working your schedule around homeschooling ?
FWTM! Glad to see you over here. Excellent question about scheduling. If you have any tips let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties View Post
Also, that figure only includes curriculum intended for "formal" study, since that seems to be what you are asking about. If I added in all the other books, toys, games, trips, etc. that have any educational benenfit whatsoever, the figure might be higher, and much more difficult for me to estimate!
Yep, I was thinking formal study when I asked. I already pay for tons of books and educational games, trips, etc... and I would buy them anyway. So yes, trying to gauge the extra cost of the formal curriculum. But I'm glad some people are including both numbers!
#22 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I have a 13yo, as well as three younger kids. I voted based on what I spend on my eldest, not counting her piano and violin lessons. I said $250-499. That would be considerably lower if it were not for the fact that we don't really have access to a library, meaning that I spend about $250 a year on novels for her. We spend almost nothing on curriculum. I just spent $200 on a math curriculum for her, but that's the first time I've spent more than $20 on math in a year.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#23 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 01:14 PM

Last year it was 200-300 dollars for my daughter, then in kindergarten. A lot of it though was basic supplies we didn't already have. We didn't do a big curriculum for kindergarten, just themes. I have most of the themes with links we did on my blog.

I am doing a bit more of a curriculum this year for first grade, and will spend around 200-300 on the actual curriculum, and then whatever more for the supplies.
#24 of 48 Old 07-31-2007, 10:18 PM

This year I spent $1100 on curricula for my 3 children who are 11, 9 and 6. Over the years some of our textbooks have been re-used but some programs did not work with a younger child's personality or learning style. For example, I used the Zaner-Bloser handwriting with my daughters but my youngest is a lefty so I am using Handwriting Without Tears for him. So, while the bulk of that $1100 honestly does belong to eldest DD there are some things I have purchased anew for the younger children. That figure does not include dance, scouts, gymnastics, zoo pass, website memberships, etc.
#25 of 48 Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM

I couldn't even estimate it. It was a lot . But here's an article I wrote about it. It was originally just a couple of posts to an email group, and a friend asked me to put it into an article - because she realized it was the same kind of thing experienced by lots of us, herself included, who had been at it for a while:

Reflecting on the Value of Materials and Classes

Lillian
#26 of 48 Old 07-31-2007, 11:42 PM

We kind of unschool and use the library a LOT. I expect that when all is said and done I'll have spent @ $200 on my oldest (headed into 1-2nd grade) for curriculum and schoolish books. This doesn't include art supplies or classes.

ZM
#27 of 48 Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 PM

We're using a cyber charter school... so everything is free; books, workbooks, even 'extras' like the books we'll need to read over the course of the year and the really nice paintbrushes and tempra and clay that they recommend. I went out and bought the supplies that were not provided, but which we'll need anyway-- crayons, kid's scissors, glue sticks, pencil boxes, and I'm including a new, more-family-friendly planner for me. Oh, and a giant calendar for the wall (the boy NEEDS a schedule, otherwise he'll sit and do math or history all. day. long.). I spent a grand total of $30 on these supplies, for two children (the BooBah insists on participating) but on curriculum I spent only a half an hour of time.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#28 of 48 Old 08-01-2007, 02:56 AM

Last year and this, it's been between $1000 - $1500 for our oldest (kinder and 1st) because we have both Oak Meadow and Enki, plus supplemental stuff and tons of books. Except for the consumables (main lesson books and eventually crayons and paints), it'll all get used with ds#2 and ds#3. Next year, it will be closer to $500 - $800 or so as I think I'll only get a couple pieces of both OM and Enki, and then continue with the supplemental stuff, etc. The start-up costs have been expensive, but only buying one set of curriculum, instead of eventually 3, each year is a big plus!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#29 of 48 Old 08-01-2007, 09:56 AM

a lot of people included stuff i didn't. i based my answer on curriculum as in books and art supplies, etc. we also pay money for our homeschool association, our homeschool group membership, dance class, field trips, outings, etc. if you take all of that into account -- it's a lot more than i first posted in $$$ and it hurts my head.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#30 of 48 Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Our DD will be 7 in the fall. These are our approximate costs for now:

**"Curriculum" $100/year, I put together our own stuff, buy some used books at the HS supply store and utilize the public library a lot
**Homeschool co-op (meets once a week--DD takes music/ballet/gym/art) $850/yr
**Classes through our parks and rec dept (like horseback riding, art, chess class, etc.) $500

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page