Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Name
Max'sMama

Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s)
Max 3.5 & Neva 12 months

What made you decide to homeschool
I do not like the options for public school in my area. I don't like how NCLB is perceived in my area. I would rather be the one teaching my child and I love to see ds learning and grasping new concepts. Plus neither DH or I were challenged in the ps system. Neither of us liked sitting in a desk inside 'being taught'. We believe that learning shouldn't end when the school day does, so homeschooling is the perfect fit for us.

What materials/curriculum you are using, if any
We are starting Oak Meadow preschool. I really like the flow of the day and I think it will be a GREAT fit for our family. I really like that it is not based on religion.

What you're excited about
Everything. Being able to help him (and eventually her) stay innocent for a bit longer. Having the ability to tailor education to fit the child rather than fitting the child into the educational model.

What you're nervous about
Can I DO this ? More so the will I be able to stimulate him (and eventually her)? Will I provide enough variety in our days for optimal learning? Will he, very much specifically he, be able to EVER listen to me? Is it possible to learn everything through osmosis? As this is what we will need for the pre(home)schooler currently residing in my home

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#32 of 50 Old 07-31-2007, 12:54 AM

Name
mags

ds 3.5 ds 2
Not impressed with the schools, unhealthy socialization environment, I feel that schools dampen the yearn to learn, eurocentric curriculum, lack of multiculturalism, wanting to spend more family time together and focus on child led learning.

OM K, miquon with cuisinaire rods, usborne books, BFIAR, some unit study packets, membership to zoo and science center.

I am excited about everything. I want to get started and into a daily rhythm. We will be eclectic relaxed HSers, so we will have some structure, but will also be flexible as needed. It will be so fun to take field trips whenever we want and go on trips during the, "off" season. Watching my children and our family thrive on the HSing lifestyle.

Lol, everything!!! I am worried about the socialization, b/c most ppl we know are sending their kids to school. I'm a little bit afraid we will lose friends with our decision to HS. Disciplining my kids, I'm afraid they will walk all over me and not take me seriously, since I am their mom, yet I am still supposed to be their teacher too. I'm worried about not being organized and slacking off and not accomplishing anything. Dealing with my family, who I KNOW will give me hell about HSing. Having to form my own HSing group, there are no inclusive HS groups in our area. I'm worried that I will feel overwhelmed and burned out, that I will not have enough, "me" time.
#33 of 50 Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 AM

nak
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine View Post
Hi there!

I bought the Pearson teacher guides and the big books. You can't really use one without the other. Yes, they were a LOT of money...i don't think they were worth what I paid for them. I like them a lot, but only because I used money we received unexpectedly. You're probably better off looking at the free lesson plans online and doing it that way (using library books).
Thank you so much for letting me know what you think about the Pearson books! We have a less-than-stellar library, so I'll still be thinking on it. If only I could get Seeking_Refuges' discount! Thanks for your thoughts on Muzzy/Rosetta Stone too.

Quote:
I don't know Delta Education -- I'll have to look into them. For science, we are following the Sequence AND Real Science 4 Kids Chem.
Science is proving tough for me to choose. I really want a kit of materials already put together for me to save me time but I'm having a hard time finding something that I like. The ones at Delta are designed for 30+ students so I would have to tailor them and they still end up expensive. DD is probably the most excited about the experiments - she has always loved them.

Quote:
Dd1 is capable of both, and I strongly feel chemistry and physics should be introduced as early as possible.
As someone with a couple degrees in Physics, I won't argue with that.

Thanks and nice to meet you too
#34 of 50 Old 08-14-2007, 04:01 PM

Name
Becky
CJ (eleven), Gregory (nine) and Joyjoy (almost four)
Only CJ is being HS'd this year, our elemetary school is not bad at all and Gregory is doing well there. I guess you could say Joyjoy is unschooled. :eyeroll: Right now she's fascinated with the Leapfrog "Letters Factory" DVD. :
CJ is not and never has been a good fit for the modern public school. He would have been a much better fit a hundred years ago when they actually allowed boys to act like boys.
He is in the 6th grade this year and the middle school is not the right palce for him.
A little of everything. For my sanity, at least for a while, we're "doing school at home".
Not getting phone calls twice a week from the school!
He is not an easy child. In fact, he's a very, very difficult child. DH is going to have to step up to the plate and make sure I get plenty of "Mommy time" or life at home is NOT going to be pleasant.
My daughter is high-energy (and was a high-needs infant and toddler as well), but she and I understand each other and get along pretty well unless our groove is shaken, which having her brother home all the time may well do.
#35 of 50 Old 08-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Name: Kim

Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s): Hannah is almost 7, Aidan is 5.5, and Brighton is 18 months.

What made you decide to homeschool: Many things. My older two went to a public school last year and while it was "one of the best school districts" to be in I couldn't believe the stuff they were coming home saying. I hate the way they have to sit still all the time, they have to be away from home for too long, oh the list could go on and on. I just feel that regular school is unhealthy for so many reasons. Plus I want them to have a Christian education.

What materials/curriculum you are using, if any: We are using Charlotte Mason via Ambleside Online. Most of the materials will come from the library and from printing off Ambleside. A few other things we have are just things I've accumulated.

What you're excited about: Everything! I'm taking so much pride in the fact that I'm going to be teaching my children. It's such a satisfying feeling and I can't wait to see them enjoy learning and help mold them into wonderful human beings! (am I being too optimistic? )

What you're nervous about:Honestly, sometimes I think I might go insane when we're having a really bad day. But most of the time I'm thinking piece of cake. I'm a little bit worried about my family. They are not really for it and are soooo worried about it. Part of me wants to prove to them that I can do it and the other part just wants to let it go. I just hope I can handle all the criticism.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#36 of 50 Old 08-15-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
so I was thinking we'd try it but I've heard good stuff about Muzzy.
Quick note about Muzzy from my house. My kids don't like it that much. They say it's boring. So I have been wondering about Rosetta Stone. How is that for ya?
#37 of 50 Old 08-15-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Name
"Little Witch"

Quote:
Two boys ages 6 and 3

Quote:
After obsessing and exhausting every possible school option I decided homeschool was the best. For many of the same reasons already listed by others I want to keep my kids home.

Quote:
Until I change my mind

I'm also following a Charlotte Mason plan. I'm using suggestions from ambleside, tanglewood, and simply charlotte mason sites. I've been working on my own reading schedule using those resources.

I'm using Teach Your Child To Read...
Right Start math
History Odyssey

Quote:
Everything!

Quote:
Everything!

Mostly, how I'm going to balance everything and everyone.
#38 of 50 Old 08-15-2007, 02:10 AM

Name
Sue
Henry and Oscar, both just turned 5
Lurking on this board
Desire for more time with kids
Wanting more freedom and free time for kids
Adventure
Perceived problem with one twin being "ready" for kindergarten, the other not

Well, I originally thought that I would loosely weave something together myself, but then I panicked and bought Oak Meadow K, and then further panic resulted in additional purchases of curriculum materials. Henry is learning to read with Phonics Pathways and the BOB books. We are also using Right Start Math Level I and the Italic Handwriting Series. We will also do some beginning violin using The Violin Book series. All will be on an "as-needed/wanted" basis.

All of it - the human potential, the fun, the adventures we can have (see: What made you decide to homeschool )

being derailed by kid's crappy moods and fighting
not being able to get into a routine and get anything done
not enough time for myself and exercising
envy over friend's newfound free time

Thanks for starting this thread - I feel better already!
#39 of 50 Old 08-15-2007, 12:29 PM

nak
hi everyone We start officially next Monday and we meet with our new hs group for the first time tomorrow. I have all the pieces of the curriculum. We're excited! (Oh I think we'll go with Rosetta Stone, esp. since it's free to try - but not right at first. Thanks for the comments on muzzy vs rosetta stone.)

So - there were some of us who were nervous about telling family - how is that going for everyone? My MIL was upset as expected but I think she's ok with it for now. She said she will support us in this decision since she couldn't find any flaws with our reasoning - but she is still insistent that the best thing for DD is private school. Aaargh. I know it doesn't really matter, but MIL is a pretty big part of our lives and having her support is nice, even if it's not enthusiastic support at this point.

back to work..
#40 of 50 Old 08-15-2007, 02:34 PM

Name
Marisa

Westen 5.5
Noel 3.5
Geneva 1.5
Jonas due in November

I don't like public school for a million reasons

Right now we read Usborne books, play starfall, do printouts from first-school.ws, and do Bible - when I can afford more structured materials I will get some used.

Being with my kids, helping them love to learn

Structure and discipline to our days - the whole family is at home in our small house, my husband runs a home business all day.
Having four kids under 6 in a few months
#41 of 50 Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM

I'm not worried about family. Support or no support I do what I want anyway.

The inlaws never voice opinion about anything. My parents know better than to argue or debate with me.
#42 of 50 Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 PM

Name
DesertMommy

Boy Kiddo, age 6

Always wanted to, but did do preschool and KDG from family/society pressure. Boy was I silly! This summer was magical for our family. Improved attitudes, fun, not hectic schedule. I want it to stay Summer 07 forever!

We will piece together some things for what I think are key subjects (math, language) I like the looks of Miqoun(spelling?) math and we actually like Hooked on Phonics! and unschool the rest. Eclectic I think.
Watching my child grow everyday and slowing down to the speed of life instead of having to get to know him again everyday picking him up from school. Pick ups were always so traumatic, he was exhausted, cranky etc. I was always disappointed at the reception I got, he couldn't even muster the strength to give me a smile, let alone a hug!
I am a WAHM and hope I can give him enough one on one time and work out a good flexible schedule for our days so we have lots of learning opportunities.
#43 of 50 Old 08-16-2007, 06:03 PM

Name
Norah

Nathan 4 1/2, Noah 2 1/2, Zachary 2 1/2

I hated school. I feel like I would have been better off homeschooled. Our public school system in my state stinks. They've dropped so many subjects because they are teaching to a test. My child loves to learn everything he can about something and I just don't see him being allowed to do that in public school.

A mixture of things:
Singapore earlybird math
Handwriting without tears pre k
a blue's clue's workbook
Earth School

My child loves to do things on worksheets so I let him do a few and then we learn through other methods.

Watching how excited my kids get over learning and doing things. Something that I feel I never experienced. I love the look they get when it just clicks for them and how excited they are that they figured out how to do it.

My mother is 100% against me homeschooling the boys. Also my oldest loves people and I do worry that I won't get him out to play with others. But this stems from my dislike of school and distrust of others so it's something only I can fix.
#44 of 50 Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 PM

lurking

dd is one day after kindy cutoff, tested well, so thinking about kindy homeschooling. She is the youngest of 3.
#45 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 AM

Name
Jenifer

DS1 (6), DD (2.5, but is more like a 4yo) and DS2 (1)

1. DS1 asked to be homeschooled.

2. After thinking about it I realized he was bored because he finished PS's Kindergarten requirements about 3.5 mo ahead of the rest of his class and was being held back on learning more.

3. I didn't like the influence his peers were having on him. He finished the year with more than a Kindergarten "diploma"-he got a whole new rude vocabulary and attitude to go with it!

4. DH is military and
(a) he is going to be deployed a LOT over the next year! It seems that all his times he'll be home on Leave are when PS is in session! I don't think it's fair to my kids to miss out on time with Daddy just because they say they have to be in classes!
(b) We don't know where this lifestyle with the military will take us next. Who knows what type of school systems we'll live near!
(c) When DH is away and I am homesick, we can't just up and leave to go visit family in the middle of the "school year" if they are in PS.

5. I was a child who loved school until 4th grade (when a teacher told my mother and I that I was stupid because I didn't understand her. I was in Algebra in 4th grade! I was NOT stupid- she was!: ), then I was bored in school because it was too easy. My dad said I was very bright, but I need to be challenged! I begged them to take me out of PS, but where we lived they couldn't afford private, there weren't Charter schools and my dad didn't have the time to HS me because he was a single parent of 4 kids (after my mother left). DS1 reminds me a LOT of me and I don't want him falling through the cracks like I did.

6. My kids love to learn and I love teaching them. Yeah, I get frustrated when DS1 doesn't 'get' something after a few gos, but I think this will teach me some more patience. See? We can ALL learn from HSing!!!

7. The MOUNDS of homework I saw all the kids come home with last year! There would be no time for playing, sports or family time! Our children are not little machines! They are CHILDREN and I believe society is forcing our children to grow up too fast and not learn those important childhood lessons all children should learn. I think too many people let PS parent their kids for them. JMO though.

For DS1:
Sonlight's Core C- Geography and History, Readers, Read Alouds, Phonics Workbooks and Handwriting w/o tears 1.
Math Science Nucleus and National Geographic for science.
Not sure how exactly we are going to go about math yet. I know DS1 doesn't know much about subtraction yet, but aces addition and counting in 5's and 10's. My MIL is donating her cussinaire (sp?) rods to us to use.
I plan on doing a lot of art projects also for the older 2 kids.
We can also go to the YMCA on Monday mornings for Family Yoga for a PE class along with soccer in the evenings and weekends.
IF we get time and on a good schedule we'll consider adding Gaelic as a family learning activity.

For DD:
I bought her a Pre-K workbooks from our local Teaching store. I got her numbers, letters, shapes, colors and animal alphabet workbooks so she can work right along with her big brother. She is so excited.

Receiving all my books and supplies so we can START!! My kids have been asking when we can start learning again! I did a practice day w/ DS1 to see if he really did enjoy learning at home and he LOVED it. It was the most fulfilling day I had had since before he started Kindergarten at the PS. I felt MORE like a parent and more like I was doing the right thing than I did that whole year he was away. We all went to bed happy that night!

I am so scared I am going to screw him up for life by not having him in PS. I am scared I am going to get so overwhelmed and frustrated that it will interfere with my teaching him. I am afraid of not knowing what to do next. I am afraid of getting stuck in a rut. I am nervous all around!!
I just want him to continue enjoying learning and excel. I want the same for the other 2 as well.
#46 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 02:35 AM

Name
May

Maya (6 1/2) and Tao (1 1/2)

Provide stability for my dd because we move around so much. Plus, I've been disenchanted by the p.s. system. Teaching to the test is getting worse.

Still searching and would love ideas for project-based curriculum for my first grader???

Watching her learn will be priceless!

Time management and how to balance a home business while teaching and caring for my dc. I'm also nervous about making my ds (the toddler) feel left out.
#47 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 02:39 AM

Well, I'm not exactly a new homeschooler. This is technically our third year doing it, but I wanted to say hi anyway and let others know where we're at.

Name
Crystal

Autumn turns 7 in a month, Aiden 4.5, and Natalie 6 mo

Hubby grew up homeschooled. Our daughter was diagnosed with ADHD very young and wouldn't do well in school, and they are both already at different levels for different subjects that ps would be hardpressed to work with us on. DD, for instance, is not yet 7, but reads on a 4th grade level. DS is 4 1/2 and can count to 100, knows several basic addition facts, and all his phonics sounds (can't pronounce half of them, but he knows them). He will probably fly through math. Also, not so much from my experience through 7th grade, but my 8th grade and high school experience, and seeing my brother in elementary school, I am not comfortable with my children learning stuff they don't need to know at that age. In so many schools there are no morals and I want my kids to have a firm basis in what we believe and why. If they change their faith through exploration later, that's one thing, but I don't see any reason to confuse them at a young age.

Well, we are using the Sonlight reading program, MCP Word Study D, Math-U-See primer and beta (and probably gamma before the year is out), ScienceArts (not an actual curriculum, just a cool book), and we are doing history and geography through regular books -- the Discover America alphabet books by Sleeping Bear Press

Adding science and working with both the older kids together.

Nothing really. A little nervous about our history/geography, as we'll somewhat be making it up as we go.
#48 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 02:40 AM

I know this is a first time support thread. But I feel intimated asking this question to the general Hsing mamas. So can anyone share what curriculum you're planning on using? If you've heard of great curriculum out there?

My dd will be a first grader. But she doesn't like desk work too much. So I'm on the hunt for project-based learning curriculum (at least for science, social science and such).

Thanks,
May
#49 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 02:58 AM

That's like my DD. That's why we're using ScienceArts for science. It introduces science concepts through art projects. For history/geography, we are using alphabet books about each state (just covering New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Southern this year) where each book has a simple rhyme telling about the state, but also includes more information. For instance, the Alaska book (we live in Alaska, so have that one) has Alaska Natives for letter A and on the sides of the pages talks about how there are 5 different groups and tells a bit more about them. So we're going through the states and for each state picking our own project. So, maybe for Pennsylvania she'll want to do research on chocolate because of Hershey and we'll try our own hand at making chocolate candies. Just an example. I admit I don't know much about the various curriculums.

Crystal
#50 of 50 Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 AM

Hi!! I've been offline for the summer, so I'll just jump in here!

Name Heather

Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s) Grace (4.5) and Abagale (1.5)

What made you decide to homeschool DH and I were both dreading sending DD to kindy and tired of fending off all the questions about why she wasn't in preschool yet. I think homeschooling just never occured to me until a new friend of mine asked me if I was homeschooling, too. So I guess she inspired me to look into it.

What materials/curriculum you are using, if any So far we're not doing any curriculum, and I don't plan on using anything for this next year. We do a lot of games and field trips, and I'm just joining our local homeschooling group now so that should be a source of inspiration. Every week DD picks a country from the globe and we learn about that country all week, then on Friday night we have a traditional meal and watch a movie. DD likes this and you can really work a lot of learning into it!

What you're excited about Watching DD learn is so great! I'm excited about our HSing group and both of us meeting new friends.

What you're nervous about I'm nervous about my ex making problems. He only shows up about twice a year and it's always a big dramatic blowout.
I'm also nervous about my ability to keep it all organized while also trying to grow my soapmaking business. Right now it's really hard since we're in a small apartment, but hopefully it gets better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page