First Time Homeschoolers Support Thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read several places that the first year of homeschooling can be really difficult so I thought I'd start a support thread for anybody in their first year.

How about we start with introductions?

Name
Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s)
What made you decide to homeschool
What materials/curriculum you are using, if any
What you're excited about
What you're nervous about

Okay, I'm going to answer in a new post.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Name
Chrissy

Noah- 6 in November, Lilah- 3 in October, Rowan- 2 months now

not feeling comfortable with any of the other options.
-the public school is too big for me, 10 K classes!
-the day starts too early and is too long. he'd be gone from 6:45-3ish!
-private schools were all either too far, too expensive, already full when we moved here in April, or all 3.

I had resigned myself to sending him to public school but I just kept having these nagging fears and thoughts about it. I decided that I would research homechooling and that would be our fallback plan. Once I started researching it I got really excited about it and decided to give it a go!

We are using Enki- www.enkieducation.com I think I am going to supplement with some Spanish for all of us.

I'm really excited about Enki. It seems like such a great fit for us. I can't wait to get my materials and start reading. I am excited that we will be able to continue some of our routines from the summer that we are all really enjoying- morning walks/runs/bike rides, gardening, cooking together.

I'm nervous that we are going to drive each other crazy. Last year he was in preschool Monday-Thursday from 9-1 and honestly I enjoyed the break. BUT this summer we have done really well and I hope that will continue. I also worry about him being able to develop friendships without being with the same kids every day.

I hope all this makes sense. My brain is a little fried- dog barking out on the deck, 2 yo watching Barney next to me on the sofa....

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 AM

DS is 5. DD is 3. We're actually homeschooling him and she's just along for the ride
I feel that schools expose children to things to early. You can only be a child for so long, and I would like to keep his innocence and childhood for just a few years more. Also, I feel that children are more impressionable now - and we would like to be the people molding him...not other 5 and 6 year olds. His sister would be starting school in 2 years and I'm not happy with our school district's diabetes care plans. We haven't found another school that I would be happier with, and since I'm not sending her to school until she can manage it on her own or until I see practices from them that I approve of, it seemed odd to send him and keep her home later.
FIAR, Singapore Math, Discovering Great Artists, Hooked on Phonics, and a science program that I can't remember the name of. It's a K Science text. We'll be doing history, geography and social studies as it relates to the FIAR books. Language Arts will relate, as well.
Getting started. However, I'll admit that I'm nervously excited.
Getting started. Our biggest issue is scheduling right now. We're still trying to work out our schedules to make this work. Also, it will be the first time in my adult life that I have not WOH FT. Going PT is scary from a financial standpoint, as well as being a huge change for me. If I can't drop the hours, I'm not sure what we'll figure out.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 AM

Good idea! I guess it's not really my first year since we've been homeschooling 'preschool'. However this is the first year that everyone is expecting her to go to school, and it's the first year I'll be buying a curriculum... so it's feeling very official!

Name
Jenny

DD just turned 5 yrs
DS just turned 5 months

I've wanted to hs or do private school since DD was a baby. I liked school as a kid, but it was so lacking academically even though I was in AP courses and I also think it's pretty strange to be in a class full of other kids the same age all day. However, a few months ago she asked to go to kindergarten. (I think because she is a very social little girl, and after DS was born we got a bit isolated.) The private school I would have been willing to put her in (and that my family was pushing) was an hour away each way, so I decided against it. I researched a bunch & found a charter we really liked about 20 minutes away. I was trying to be excited about it (would give me more opportunities to do my work from home, would give DS more one-on-one time, instant friends for her, etc) but when she decided she really did want to do HS instead I was so excited!!

Don't know yet - I've been googling like mad. Up until now I've just tried to make everything a learning opportunity, or make up games like rhyming games and number games. We also do lots of on-line stuff like starfall.com, and we have some workbooks too (like from Target.) I've also been known to put together some cool unit studies from various sources on-line. But for her first 'official' year, I want to buy a curriculum. I am currently thinking reading and social studies from Harcourt, math from Saxon and supplementing with Singapore, and science from somewhere. We have art covered with stuff we already have. I'll do mostly 1st grade stuff supplemented with some K. And now Chrissy's got me thinking I want to do spanish too.

I'm excited that DD will be able to go at her own pace, she won't be bored with stuff she already knows, and she won't pick up bad habits from being around other 5 and 6 yr olds all day. I'm excited to teach her and to explore things. I'm excited about a new HS group I found that's close to where I live. Heck, I'm excited about the packs of new crayons and glue I have for her!

Telling my MIL that we are a go for homeschooling. She will be soooooooo upset. She's convinced DD won't be challenged enough at home : and that she won't have any friends . I am a little nervous that I will get worn out and start to slack off, or that my work will keep me too busy. I also worry a bit that I'm not making the right decision and that she'd have more fun in school!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:59 AM

Name

Laura

DS 1 is 5.5 and DS 2 is 3.5

Actually it was my husband that planted the idea in my head. He couldn't bear the thought of putting our very sensitive son into the rough environment of 25 kids with little supervision. He felt that schools lacked so much and we really could do a better job at home. I thought homeschool was only for very religious families but I spent all last summer researching and was pleased to discover that there were many different kinds of families choosing to homeschool. Starting about this time last year I began actively cultivating a homeschooling lifestyle and have noticed both my boys blossoming. We frequent the library, I take the time to answer their questions thoroughly, we research and discuss through play and fun. There is no thought in their mind that "education" is boring. They love to learn.

I love the unschooling philosophy and spend a lot of time pursuing their interests. DS 1 has been sick this week and we started talking about germs which led to print outs from the internet on germs and now we're going to the library on Monday to get books on germs (now that he is not contagious).

I'm not totally unschooling (yet!) and do use Singapore math because DS 1 enjoys it along with Hooked on Phonics (which he sometimes likes and sometimes doesn't) and Brighter Visions kits that come in the mail.

That I get to be with my sons at each step and moment of this journey. That I will have an active hand in their education and learn just as much as they do along the way. I also think our bond will be very strong.

Mostly the "friends" question. I've joined a homeschooling group but I teach 2 days a week at the local university and I'm worried I won't have time or the right people to cultivate friendships with. My DS 1 craves friends and we do play with some but once they start school I want to make sure we have plenty of fun alternatives.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:24 PM

T is 5, W is 3, and E is 16 mos
Short list: I pretty much unschooled myself right through the school system and found it to be a waste of my time.
Presently, Saxon Math K and 1, Phonics Pathways, the Core Knowledge Sequence, and whatever online resources I find. My oldest needs a more structured approach but at this age we structure according to interest.
Fitting school into our schedule rather than trying to fit our schedule into a public school. (I am a FT college student entering my last year in undergrad and getting ready to apply to law school, our schedule is packed as it is.)
Not much right now.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Name
Devon

Trevor- 6 yrs, Rachael- 4 yrs and Ariel- 2 yrs (though I am not doing too much with her!

I wanted to homeschool when my son was a baby but then I ended up with three children. In a panic I thought "I can't homeschool THREE!!" so I sent my son to waldorf preschool and ps K. Rachael went to regular preschool. While I had no problem with preschool, there was gaps in my son's K education and I also noticed he developed such an attitude with us and wasn't as close to his sisters anymore. I missed his relationship with us as a family and how he got to see all our daily chores, etc. He was always exhausted and I missed how he used to have so many interests (K was full day 9-3:35). He's had such a turnaround over the summer. He has reforged the relationship with his sisters and plays with them a lot. He's not so tired all the time, less argumentative (though his perfectionism and occasional pessimism will always be a part of him! He gets that from me : ) and more willing to help out in a household that he sees us running.

I was going to build my own curriculum but I was too nervous to do it my first year homeschooling. I am in college very part time (two classes at a time right now. I would like to pick up one more) so I feared I would be too overwhelmed to keep on top of my school and designing Trevor's. So I went with K12.com. I purchased it, rather than going through a virtual public school because I want to control his education directly and REALLY don't want to answer to anyone else. I like how complete K12 is and how much it covers and the lesson plans are all laid out for me. We all want structure. I like the idea of unschooling, but it's not for me, though I have no problem taking days off, etc.

EVERYTHING! Seeing Trevor (and Rachael, we're doing a little with her in phonics and she will learn along with Trevor in other subjects) learn, doing experiments, etc.

I'm not nervous about anything really. OK. I'm nervous about what to do with my 2 yr old while we homeschool, but I am going to come up with some ideas for her, too (playdough, colouring, etc)

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Name Erika
Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s) Amelia 5, Owen 3, Eden 1
This is a tough one. I am not totally sure, just a lot of things all mixed together. I never wanted to until the last year or so. Then I really started looking at my oldest and realizing how much better she would do at home. I would feel wrong sending her into the school this next year. My husband got onboard after watching the way that 2 girls in the neighborhood are sharpening their little claws on my daughter (that pukey stuff of inviting her over just to send her home because her outfit isn't as cute as theirs.... and they are only 6!), my husband shudders to think of Amelia being with children like that all day long. I have a good friend who is homeschooling and has been homeschooling her children for about 3 years now and watching her and knowing her kids has been a big inspiration! It gives me the confidence that I can do this too.
We are using Oak Meadow K. My daughter just started using the starfall website as well, so that might count. My son will just be along for the ride.... he argues with his sister all the time and says that he is homeschooled too :
I am excited about being a part of everything she learns! Right now she is working on letter sounds and it is so cool to see her get it! when she learns to read, I think I will be more excited than her! I am also excited for the new things we are getting involved in like the local unschooling group, YMCA classes, etc.
My parents (public school teachers) have recently started showing that they are uncomfortable with homeschooling. Before they sounded cool with it, but I guess that is when they thought I would change my mind. NOw that it is real, they are trying to get my daughter to want to go to public school. So, I am nervous that they will try to test her when we get together, that she will sense their disapproval or the fact that they are trying to test her, that she will feel dumb if she doesn't know the answers, and that they will judge harshly if she doesn't meet the public school kindergarten standards on their timeline. So, I am also nervous about pushing her too hard to get her to meet these standards that don't actually matter to anyone but the public school system.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:22 PM

Name Michele
Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s) Ethan (5)
What made you decide to homeschool: Many, many things. I want something different for DS then what the PS can offer. Our faith background. The fact that I am a PS teacher. DS's issues: aspie-we think and SPD
What materials/curriculum you are using, if any: Calvert K. I needed a check the box type curriculum this year. Proof to me and to others that he is learning. Next year we're off to something else, I think
What you're excited about: Getting to teach MY kid. I love teaching, so why would I not want to school my own kiddo?
What you're nervous about: Teaching DS and not sending him to traditional school. That DS will "miss out" on things and grow up to be angry aobut being HSed. HSing and working full time.
Michele
Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Name
harmat

L. (dd) almost five

Just briefly (I agree with lots of things already written) - Goes well with my parenting philosophy and general outlook on life. The advantages of self directed learning, lots of time to explore, play, dream, just be, etc. Believe it is the right choice for her in the long term. It's something I enjoy doing, sharing my life with her, helping her grow.

I'm planning to have the first year play based, and continuing what we've been doing so far. Reading, baking, walking together etc. Lots of art.
I have got Home Learning Year by Year to use as a guide later. Maybe Singapore Maths in the future.

Watching dd grow, learn, play. Spending lots of time together. (Pre-school's finally over, yay!)

My mom's forthcoming visit, and the zillions of demanding questions she'll no doubt bring with her :
Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Name

Amy

DD 6 and DS 4, new baby coming in January

So many things. Public schools here are awful to the point that the state has stepped in. Bad situation. Private school is waaaaay out of our price range. DD is anxiety issues that made her miserable when she went to a Montessori preschool for a few months. And I really like the idea of schooling my own kids.

So far, I have bought Miquon for math and The Story of the World, volume 1 for history. We are putting together a collection of good reading books and science projects.

Everything! This is going to be fun.

Keeping up with 2 active kids, the house, the cooking, homeschooling and having a new baby. Whew! I am going to plan in some serious time off when the baby comes and just live for a bit while we adjust as a family.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 07-29-2007, 04:31 PM

Like another poster, I suppose this is technically my second year homeschooling as ds could have gone to school last year. We didn't do much along the lines of academics last year though, it was just another year to play. We did some stuff but nothing too exciting and certainly nothing on a consistent basis.

This year I will be incorporating a little more structure and curriculuum because we have decided that is what will work with us.

Name
Stephany

DD1-14 DD2-12 DS - turns 6 next week DS 2

What made you decide to homeschool?

My older daughters are in the public school system...enough said. We have known since DS-2 was in second grade and we had DS1 that we would homeschool him.

I would homeschool my daughters if it were feasible but my ex would not be in favor of that arrangement and I have to take his wishes into consideration. Also, I don't feel that homeschooling would be successful without both parents on the same page concerning the issue.

What materials/curriculum you are using, if any?
We have a real hodge podge of stuff. I have Patterns in Arithmetic, Handwriting without Tears but I don't plan on using the worksheets often unless DS seems interested in that. We have been doing Waldorf-ish type things with him for most of his life and that is where I will start this year. I have some of the materials from the Oak Meadow kindergarten year and although I don't plan on using that method exclusively, it is going to be a large part of our focus.

We are going to be participating in the local HSAP! I agnonized over this but the school has hired a really fantastic woman that I know from our UU to run the program and she is very friendly and open-minded so I am going to give it a go. The laws are pretty strict here in Iowa. About the only way to get out of filling out the CPI form and testing is to participate with the HSAP.
The group was given our own space. The school district had an empty portable building that has two full size classrooms and a nice yard. It will be fun to be in on the groundfloor so to speak, helping to build the program as we go. DH and I are going to be on the parent advisory team.

Dh's mom just found out last night that we are homeschooling "for real". She thought that we were just holding back a year because he was so young last year. She is not a fan of the idea to say the least so I am sure we will have a lot to deal with in that situation.

Stephany
Old 07-29-2007, 07:36 PM

Name
Chan

DS 6, DS 4 and DD 14 months

Better able to help with behaviors
Keep and deepen the bond we share
Religious reasons
Learning at his own pace and being able to learn what he wants
More FREEDOM, period.

For this first year, we are using a curriculum. Next yr. we may not. Right now we're using MFW 1st grade for my 6 y/o and a 'workbook' and free play for my 4 y/o

Everything!

Butting heads with my 6 y/o
Old 07-29-2007, 08:56 PM

Name
Frances

Obie (6yo) and Eli (4yo)

We are "accidental homeschoolers", I guess - terrible local ps, didn't make it into the charter/magnets, refuse to pay $7,000/year for private

Singapore and Miquon math, Headsprout.com for reading, SOTW for history, NOEO (physics) for science.

I'm excited about how excited ds is! He's a fun kid to teach - loves to learn things and always asks tons of questions about everything.

I work fulltime, so I'm nervous about how I'm going to get involved with local groups.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:04 AM

I'm so glad this is here! I was just going to start a thread like it!

Name
Stacy

Abby, almost 6 and Ashlynn, 4

Wow, this could be a long answer! The first reason is because our public school is a mess. There are 1800 kids in my elementary school, and 13 kindergarten classes. Abby is very bright, and we were even considering skipping kindergarten with her because we were worried that she would get lost in the system. We are also a Suzuki family- I teach about 30 violin lessons a week, and my daughters are both in lessons as well. If they were in school all day, they would get home just as I was starting to teach, and I wouldn't get to spend time with them until after dinner. Then it would be homework and practicing, and cranky kids and a stressed out mom. What sealed the deal was when we ran into a fmaily friend who is homeschooling her four kids ages 5-16. Dh and I talked to her for hours, and she had wonderful answers to all of our concerns. After talking with her, it just felt right.

We are still very much in the research stage. I think we will be using Thomas Jefferson Education, and have the materials on order. What I have learned about it appeals to me so far. It seems very flexible and child driven. Almost like unschooling in the early years.

Like someone else said, building school into our lives, rather than working our lives around school. Really being with my children. Seeing them learn and progress, and being able to be a part of it.

Everything! Can I really do this? Will I still like my kids? Will they learn all they need to? Etc...

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 AM

Name: Juliette
Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s): Kelvin, 4.75
What made you decide to homeschool: I always say "it just fits our family." What I mean by that is that we are a small family who really value our time together. We all three (Papa too!) love learning things together and we just didn't want to try to cram that into evenings and weekends. We also really love to travel and want to have a schedule which allows us to travel together.
What materials/curriculum you are using, if any: We've started kindergarten work and have been very eclectic about it so far. I don't imagine we will decide to use a single curriculum. Currently we are using several fun workbooks and endless sources from the library. The odds and ends approach is working so much better than I expected so I'm in no hurry to change it!
What you're excited about: I'm excited about so many things--the field trips, the co-op we are a part of, learning while we are traveling. But the single thing I'm breathless about is watching DS learn to read. He's really getting the hang of it and I'm just so excited to watch that world open up to him!
What you're nervous about: I'm nervous about the bad days. I struggle to make sure that my own responses to frustration don't damage our relationship. But I'd feel that way if he was in school too!
Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 AM

Name Khourtniey
Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s) My school kiddo is Kaia and he is 3. Alo is 2
What made you decide to homeschool A lot of reasons. I was partially homeschooled and saw first hand the benefits and how different it is from public school. I live in a city where the schools are not all that great. I worry about the violence and my kids not getting enough one on one attention, as well as not being taught enough. For me, the decision was made before I even had kids and before living in my current city. Also like Juliette said, it will just fit our family.
What materials/curriculum you are using, if any Still unsure, but we are just starting preschool this year and I believe I will be printing a lot of stuff out from online (My printer is busy as I type this)
What you're excited about Everything
What you're nervous about Nothing really.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 AM

Name
Samantha
Sebastian-6, Sophie-2, Kaitlyn-2
My own experiences in school and the fact that children today are not getting what they need in school. I want my children to have a happy childhood, which I don't think public school would give them. My son had a horrible kindergarten year. I sent him to a charter school, which ran out of money by spring break. I had to hurry-up and send him to a ps for the rest of the year. This is after I swore that I would never send him to a ps. From now on, it's homeschool.
dabbling in old fashioned education, with many books, and my own ideas. Violin and German
Getting started. I can't wait to start, but I want him to have all of his summer vacation.
My parents and grandmother don't approve of homeschooling. I have yet to tell them. This causes much nervousness for me. I still don't know how to tell them. One day I suggested not sending him to school, and got my head bitten off. I wish my parents were more accepting. On the other hand, I'm not afraid to tell my inlaws, because they don't butt in so much, but I haven't told them either.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:46 AM

Name
Linda

Childrens names
Emily (5 1/2) and Abigail (2)

First of all I could not imagine after being so careful after 5 years to just hand my child over to a bunch of strangers.My SIL says for the first 5 years they are your children and then they become societys children.I looked at society and said"NO WAY!!"
Secondly,our area has full day K and teaches to the test.That would be great if they were not red flagged for the kids not passing the test.I would also like them to use more out of the box thinking and not lose their love of learning.I think that kids these days grow up too fast.

We have FIAR and making math meaningful and I plan on winging the rest!!

To have the freedom from the time constraints that public school brings.

How much we will actually accomplish with my 2yo "helping"
Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 AM

Name Pepper

Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s) Abby-5, Mimi-17 months

What made you decide to homeschool I always say I am selfish. I just can't stand the thought of my kids being gone from me 8+ hours a day. We are a bilingual family and I want them to be taught in both languages and to be fluent (read, write, speak) both languages.

What materials/curriculum you are using, if any What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know, Singapore Math, MathUSee Primer, Story of the World, Handwriting Without Tears, Rocket Phonics

What you're excited about Watching my children learn and letting them learn at their own pace, whatever that may be. Letting my children help to choose what and how we learn and when. Not missing out on anything.

What you're nervous about Driving each other crazy. Working around a busy toddler.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 AM

Alex will be 5 in December, Sage is almost 2.5 right now

We can study things the girls are interested in, we can take as much time as we need to cover things in depth, we can be flexible and travel whenever we like, I don't have to asnwer to anyone, dd1 won't have to try to sit still for long periods of time, we can be outside as much as possible, the girls don't have to wake up too early, they won't be subject to the horrible bullying/peer pressure/ crappy attitude that I see going on amongst the school kids (as young as Kindergarten!).

We have been doing Ambleside Online Year 0 readings and Singapore already, in addition to the language instruction below.

This fall we will:

follow a Core Knowledge outline using Pearson for History and Geography, plus
continue Singapore and the Ambleside Year 0 readings, plus
go through McGuffey's Readers (skipping the religious content), plus
follow a loose Country of the Week plan from www.letteroftheweek.com,
continue Spanish lessons following the Muzzy Teacher's Guide,
continue Chinese and Sign Language DVDs (we do these already, the girls LOVE them),
continue Fench Rosetta Stone a couple of times a week.
Real Science for Kids Chemistry Pre-Level One

The aboev is for dd1. For dd2, I'll just keep reading to her, count everything, and continue to playfully learn phonics (she knows the alphabet and what the letters "say").

Finding the playfulness in all the above. Alex is very smart and requires almost constant stimulation. I think she will really groove on the plan...but if she doesn't, I look forward to altering it however it needs to be altered. SO I guess I'm looking forward to discovering which things really click with her and which things don't. So far, I haven't found something that doesn't click...except MiQuon Math (which she hated...she LOVES Singapore, though).

Friends for dd1. It's hard to find friends whose parents have the same values we do. She only has two friends she sees every week, and each only for an hour and a half or so. She has two other friends (they're brothers) she sees twice a month, for 4-6 hours at a time. She's entering into a lot of activities this fall, so I'm hoping we'll meet more kids that click with her (and us).
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 AM

Name Genie

Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s) Trevor (5) and Isaiah (3 in October)

That's a hard one...I have many many reasons to homeschool, but I guess my main reason (at first) was that I didn't want to leave my son's education up to someone else.

We bought the Enki K curriculum, and we might buy some learning to read materials cuz ds really wants to read.

What you're excited abouteverything!

What you're nervous abouthmm...I'm not really nervous, I've been around homeschoolers online so long that I have no doubts about it. I do sometimes worry that I won't be a good rhythm to our day going.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 PM

OK to chat in this thread too?

RedWine, your DD sounds like mine! Just last night I found the Core Knowledge stuff and ordered What Your Kindergartener Should Know and the Teacher Handbook and the Sequence and I am so excited about the breadth. I was wanting to do a boxed curriculum to save myself time (for example I'm supposed to be working right now, not thinking about curricula ) but DD already knew the K stuff in all of them. Then I found the Core Knowledge K stuff and it's great to have this guide that says to me 'your kindergartener may be capable of learning this stuff, so give it a try!' So it looks like I'll be pulling a curriculum together in bits and pieces after all. I wanted to ask you about Pearson for History and Geography -- do you mind if I ask you if you bought just the teacher guides or the whole thing with the big books? I can't decide if I want to shell out the money for the big books or not. I have my eye on some expensive science kits I like from Delta Education and I am trying to figure out how best to spend my $! And do you like Rosetta Stone or Muzzy better? Since you are using both I thought I'd ask. My MIL has a copy of Rosetta Stone for Spanish that we could borrow, so I was thinking we'd try it but I've heard good stuff about Muzzy.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s) Gabe almost 4 and Avery 14 mos

Ds1 is a very bright and sensative child, and from early on, I knew that a ps setting would not work for him, at least in the early years. I strongly feel that he would slip through the cracks or get "lost" in the crowd.

What materials/curriculum you are using,

We are starting with Oak Meadow preschool and going from there. I plan on suppleenting with alot of nature stuff and he is well on his way to reading, so we will explore that as well.

Everything! I feel like we have this whole wide world waiting for us to discover. I think it will be a great experience for our whole family.

I am nervous about making the best decisions for my children. I hope I can provide them with a rich magical childhood

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Old 07-30-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
OK to chat in this thread too?

I wanted to ask you about Pearson for History and Geography -- do you mind if I ask you if you bought just the teacher guides or the whole thing with the big books?
I guess I have to ask about this too. Is the stuff any sort of decent. After I read that I googled Pearson Homeschooling and found the stuff you are looking for. I didn't even know about it! I suppose that wouldn't be remarkable in itself except that dh works for Pearson and gets 50% discount on all of their publications. You would think he would have mentioned this stuff, huh?

In his defense it is a huge company and he works in the educational measurement division not the publishing division.

Stephany
Old 07-30-2007, 07:11 PM

Name Kate
Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s) Emma (3)
PS scares me. I was ahead when I was in lower elem. & got lost in the shuffle of things & ended up getting extra lazy because I wasn't challenged enough. I can't imagine Em being gone from me for so long during the day - I like being with her not because she's mine but because she is a cool kid to be with! The 1 Montessori we would maybe send her to is way $$$
Still not sure - trying to find something that isn't religious based - any tips would be great!But right now we are learning through play, me reading to her, everyday life, printed worksheets/workbooks
watching her learn -
teaching her when she's older

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
Old 07-30-2007, 08:08 PM

I also have a question about History. It seems most kids in the thread are about dd's age. I can't imagine teaching her history right now, she only recently stopped living in the present, iykwim. So just wondering, what kind of things are in a history curriculum for kindergarten, first grade?

I'm also a bit torn about teaching reading. I wasn't going to start this until next year. I'm thinking her pre-reading and language skills will continue to develop through play and listening to fairy tales, rhymes etc. Sure she could learn her letters, but what use are they, if you can't read? So I figured I'll start when she's more likely to be developmentally ready. However, now she's frustrated she can't read yet (and never will, apparently ). So today she was playing around with starfall for ages. I had to promise her to start teaching letters, tomorrow. Oh, I didn't expect to have to think about all this already
(I'm not trying to start a debate about early reading btw)

Quote:
I like being with her not because she's mine but because she is a cool kid to be with!
Same here
Old 07-30-2007, 09:10 PM

NAK

Name:
Jen
Name(s) and age(s) of kiddo(s):
Jacob 5 1/2 Emma 3 1/2 and Kara 13 months
What made you decide to homeschool:
I have always known I would. My husband and I had mostly misrible school experiances and we want something better for our kids. The more I learn about the school system and how children really learn; the less appealing ps becomes.
What materials/curriculum you are using, if any:
We have FIAR, Phonics Pathways, unit rods, family math, maps etc. I bought them mostly as resources. I plan to use them but in any strict sense. If my kids are not interested then it's ok with me. I'm leaning heavily towards uschooling.
What you're excited about:
continuing to be there for all the new things they are learning, not needing to drag them out of bed every morning, continuing life as usual
What you're nervous about:
unschooling myself and avoiding putting pressure on my kids. dealing with criticism and concerns of ppl on our lives. giving my children a rich enviroment when i am a natural introvert.

:
Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 PM

Harmat, one of the things that dd's preschool does, that I think is awesome, is to incorporate letter sounds every time you say the letter. So you don't jsut say the letter "b", instead you always say "buh, buh, b" for example. I talked to them about this, and their theory is that the kids learn their letters, but reading has very little to do with the letter names, but more to do with their sounds.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you want more explanation.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
RedWine, your DD sounds like mine! Just last night I found the Core Knowledge stuff and ordered What Your Kindergartener Should Know and the Teacher Handbook and the Sequence I am so excited about the breadth. I was wanting to do a boxed curriculum to save myself time (for example I'm supposed to be working right now, not thinking about curricula ) but DD already knew the K stuff in all of them. Then I found the Core Knowledge K stuff and it's great to have this guide that says to me 'your kindergartener may be capable of learning this stuff, so give it a try!' So it looks like I'll be pulling a curriculum together in bits and pieces after all. I wanted to ask you about Pearson for History and Geography -- do you mind if I ask you if you bought just the teacher guides or the whole thing with the big books? I can't decide if I want to shell out the money for the big books or not. I have my eye on some expensive science kits I like from Delta Education and I am trying to figure out how best to spend my $! And do you like Rosetta Stone or Muzzy better? Since you are using both I thought I'd ask. My MIL has a copy of Rosetta Stone for Spanish that we could borrow, so I was thinking we'd try it but I've heard good stuff about Muzzy.
Hi there!

I bought the Pearson teacher guides and the big books. You can't really use one without the other. Yes, they were a LOT of money...i don't think they were worth what I paid for them. I like them a lot, but only because I used money we received unexpectedly. You're probably better off looking at the free lesson plans online and doing it that way (using library books).

I don't know Delta Education -- I'll have to look into them. For science, we are following the Sequence AND Real Science 4 Kids Chem. Dd1 is capable of both, and I strongly feel chemistry and physics should be introduced as early as possible.

As far as language...Dd1 doesn't care for Rosetta Stone that much. Since we're doing different languages, I wanted our approach to each to be VERY different from eath other. She tolerates Rosetta Stone and is learning a bit, but she doesn't really LIKE it. I ask that she do 10-15 minutes at a time, 3 times a week. I usually do it with her and try to make it more fun.

She likes Muzzy a lot, but it is a LOT of work for the parent. I have the teacher's guide lesson plans, and it is labor intensive for me! However, both my girls like the lessons and are learning quite a bit. We will probably continue with Muzzy II when we're finished.

Nice to meet you!

User Tag List