Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just started growing my own sprouts a few weeks ago.
DD likes to help but doesn't like to eat them...oh well.

I also just saw a short thing on pbs I think on a worm
garden. You cut the top off a 2 liter bottle than do layers
of dirt and compost (old fruits and vegis) add the worms
then tape the top back on. over the next days or week the worms do their thing as every one watches. I'm looking forward to trying this one, once it cools down ofcourse!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:35 AM

Subbing!!
Old 08-12-2007, 05:09 PM

I've been planning on using ambleside. But I was curious if anyone was has used Simply Charlotte Mason? I haven't read any review on it, is it new?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I have used the SimplyCharlotteMason site for a lot of my planning. I think it is one of the best sites out there.

AM
Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 AM

I've looked a lot at that site as well. Very informative.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 AM

subbing
Old 08-13-2007, 12:02 PM

hello~
just wanted to add yesterday i watch the movie
take joy
about the life of tasha tudor. maybe some of you have seen it already. i thought it was delightful, very charlotte mason. all about her lifestyle~gardening, studying animals for her drawings, cooking etc. she has had a very ecclectic life. super sweet~
i picked it up at my library.
mama-rasheika
Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 PM

I use Simply Charlotte Mason Early Years Guide. I love it! I really like the modules for history, art study and music study. I think it's well laid out and makes it easier for overplanners like me to have some sort of guidline to work from.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:59 PM

I went to Stone Mountain today in Georgia. I spent a couple hours walking through the woods. It was so beautiful. We found a place near the lake with quite a few dragonflies. We tried to photograph them but we couldn't quite get them to pose for us!

Now I can appreciate the importance of truly getting out into nature. My daughter was very upset that we left her bug observing kit at home.

I think I will spend sometime this next week putting together our nature backpack. Binoculars are a definate must! I hope to be better prepared. I didn't have anything but a bottle of water!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 AM

A nature backpack sounds like a great idea. I must do that. That way I can just grab the pack and head out without much planning. I'm thinking: sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses and hats, notebook and crayons/colored pencils of course, and as you mentioned binoculars.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe this thread is lucky, because we managed to have a successful nature walk too! Although S, about 3 mins into the walk, started asking when we were going back, and saying it felt like we had been walking for three hours. Of course, when we finished the walk, he said it didn't really seem that long. We spent about an hour out there. I did bring a camera, but the bug kit and binoculars sound like great ideas. Since I didn't want to carry it all, we left the drawing stuff in the van, and had a picnic snack when we came back and did our drawing there. The kids were more into this than I expected -- enough so that I was able to draw something in my notebook and actually finish it

Now I need to find room in my budget for some field guides -- looking it up on the internet after just isn't the same. Although now I know if I want to identify a tree, I have to check for things like alternate branching and simple or compound leaves.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 AM

I think I'll carry a small pack of colored pencils. and maybe two notebooks. On e for me and one for Elizabeth.

As for the nature guides, I'm looking in use book stores and in museums. sometimes nature museums have free guides. I'm on a tight budget...I found a great flower guide for $1. I also have found an old book about nature around seashores. Used book stoeres have great nature sections usually.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 AM

Have you checked the library? My library has a great selection of nature guides.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Old 08-15-2007, 01:56 PM

A camera! Of course I would need to add that to the backpack. Has anyone tried those digital cameras for young children? Would that be a worthwhile expense?

Check with local departments for nature guides. For example if you call the water management department here they will send you guides and info on all sorts of stuff like wetlands, native plants, etc.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:44 PM

Gotta keep this thread alive.

The pp who mentioned camera got me thinking. I'm going to buy one of those children's digital cameras and let them take some pics of their own. We can put those pics in the nature notebook.

The Fisher Price camera is $60 at Toys R Us and right now you can print a 20% coupon from the website to take into the store and that makes it $48. Not too bad....
Old 08-15-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
Check with local departments for nature guides. For example if you call the water management department here they will send you guides and info on all sorts of stuff like wetlands, native plants, etc.
Oh I love that idea! Even if its just photo copies, I could put them in a little folder! I wonder if there are any online links for when your visiting a state park. That way you could print and carry the info for your trip....hmmm.

That might be worth a few google to look into!
Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Love the idea of a nature bag!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
The Fisher Price camera is $60 at Toys R Us and right now you can print a 20% coupon from the website to take into the store and that makes it $48. Not too bad....
I would recommend going with a simple point and shoot ADULT camera if you can afford it. We have gone through a few of the kids cameras and nothing worked well or took good pictures.

I found the boys a Sony Cybershot 5 mega pixel on clearance a year ago for $100. I am very glad we spent the extra money. It takes great pictures. The boys figured out how to work it really easily. They even showed me a few things. They have even dropped it a once or twice and it still works.

Let me add that I haven't seen the Fisher Price one so I don't know anything about it.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Hey moms, I was just wondering what your favorite history books are for the younger students. I've been considering History of the World pt1. But also any picture books you that you have found particularly intersesting. My dd is just 4, so she still loves to look at pictures while I'm reading.

I would like to expand our library a bit. Fairytales and princesses are getting a little old. At least for me! I have a few books on the varoius lists, but I'm still in the early stages of purchasing the books needed.

We enjoy going to the library but I travel too much to get a library card. Oh how I look forward to buying a house someday and enjoying the community resources! But until then I have limited space so quality is important. Out with the twaddle, in with the living books.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 PM

My 5yo is really enjoying 50 Famous Stories Retold and An Island Story. They are both part of the history selections for Ambleside Online's Year 1. 50 Famous Stories has more pictures.

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM

I was just told about the D'Aulaire books (by Ingri & Edgar Paren d'Aulaire). I was told about them by our Head of School (at our NEW Charlotte Mason school here)!!! Have I mentioned how *EXCITED* I am about this school? : Anyway, it doesn't take away from our studies here at home on things that we're interested. I have two 5 yr. olds who are particularly interested in the princess stuff. I "pitched" our Disney Pocahontas book, because I just couldn't stand it....that they Dinsney-fied a true historical female hero. My girls were telling everyone "Mommy doesn't like Pocahontas", so I HAD to do something, but most "Indian" books "scared" them (don't flame me). But, I've searched and searched and finally asked this teacher at the school.

All that to say...these are picture books, longer stories than a typical picture book, but pretty acurate historically, but deals with the subject matter more delicately I thought. Fun to look at and well-written. So, check it out.

They have the following titles:
Pocahontas
Abraham Lincoln
Benjamin Franklin
Buffalo Bill
Columbus
George Washington
Leif the Lucky

DISCLAIMER: I don't know about the contents of anything other than Pocahontas.

Hope you enjoy as much as we have. We found ours at our library, but found there to be a pretty big waiting list. : homeschoolers.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3happygirls View Post
I was just told about the D'Aulaire books (by Ingri & Edgar Paren d'Aulaire).
Thanks, I'll check them out. The book list I carry around to used book stores is so long I get overwhelmed. This gives me a name to focus on.

I feel the same way about Disney books. I have a small set that were given as a gift to dd, but I only take them out once a year. I haven't quite decided to donate them yet. Mainly because "out of sight out of mind."

I also have quite a few watered down fairy tale books that I bought before learning about CM and living books. I will most likely give these to a daycare since they are oversized for reading aloud.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

We are using Story of the World. We do a chapter a week and try to read at least one of the supplemental titles each week. We also do a lot of hands on history.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_mommy View Post
My 5yo is really enjoying 50 Famous Stories Retold and An Island Story. They are both part of the history selections for Ambleside Online's Year 1. 50 Famous Stories has more pictures.
I just went through my ambleside lists and reread what it said about 50 Famous Stories Retold and I'm excited to read this to my little group. The boys I tutor might really get something from these stories. (okay and me too). Would I be able to finish 1 story per reading? I usually pick one story then let them pick a story...they have a massive book of Disney Stories. But at least its an older book with some of the less known stories.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 PM

I LOVE Charlotte Mason. My kids love it more, I think. We have always been very unschooly, but they really enjoy CM activities. Our weeks include copywork, readalouds, narration, dictation, nature sketching, daily walks, art appreciation, journaling (and blogging), and handicrafts.

We use mainly whole and living books, but the kids are free to read whatever they find interesting. I've been hesitant to try the timeline since I'm not sure exactly how to do it. But this year we'll start one. We've done the short lessons, but lately older dd has mentioned she would like to try focusing on one subject per day. I was thinking that if like we did science on Tuesdays, we'd maybe pick "parts of a plant" as the theme. We'd start out with a readaloud with narrations. Then maybe a nature walk and sketching. Then at home, go through the field guide, identifying specimens we brought home and drew. Then do one of the plant experiments from a book we have. Then work in the garden, then finish up the day with website games - all having to do with the same daily theme, and all of which they love doing (and actually put on the schedule themselves). Other science themes could revolve around "weather", "astronomy", "rocks", etc.

With a plan I think it could work with all subjects. We haven't tried a week like this yet - I'm so curious to see how it goes. Opinions?

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
DD(18) Graduate of the (real) Fame school, now a Dance Theater major at a performing arts conservatory
DS(13) Experiential Charlotte Mason homeschooler
Old 08-16-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyfeet View Post
Hey moms, I was just wondering what your favorite history books are for the younger students.
This has already been mentioned, but I'm seconding the history books recommended at Ambleside Online. Most are in the public domain and available online to print.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 08-17-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
This has already been mentioned, but I'm seconding the history books recommended at Ambleside Online. Most are in the public domain and available online to print.
I just finished printing a couple stories for school tomorrow. I admit, I'm still figuring out ambleside and all the online books. I can't wait to read the stories tomorrow!

bty some of the y0 books are located at the Baldwin project if you click the waldorf link under curiculi. I'd show you the link but hey, one step at a time...I'm still figuring all this new technology out.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:32 AM

Narration is such a simple idea and yet I never thought of it until I stumbled upon CM. So I started narration with my 6 yr old. At first he was very confused and frustrated and couldn't tell me anything about what I had read. It's been only a week since I started with it and now he is much more confident and has fun. It's interesting to me to hear what it is he actually picks up from the reading....it's not always what I think it will be.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_mommy View Post
I know "An Island Story" is a history of England. What actually is "50 Famous Stories Retold" about? Is it from one particular time or from all over?

User Tag List