Charlotte Mason Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 135 Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone used the McGuffeys readers?

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#122 of 135 Old 08-24-2007, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
I don't have them, but my oldest enjoyed Dick and Jane.

ZM
#123 of 135 Old 08-24-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
We have been using Pathway Readers right now. I am looking into McGuffeys as well.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#124 of 135 Old 08-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Here is a link to download the readers free online.

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-en...mcguffey.shtml

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#125 of 135 Old 08-24-2007, 06:38 PM

Thanks, AB -- I actually already have that, but from gutenburg (I think, though it looks the same). I'm going to look for a copy with pics -- I have a few on hold at my library (they don't have all of them, unfortunately).

I'm just kind of lost as to what you're supposed to do -- is it anything other than reading them (and narrating)? I'm thinking back to the Little House books, where the children studied their lessons and then came up to the front to "tell" their lesson. Did they memorize the whole thing, or just read it?

Maybe a silly question, but when I look at them -- especially just typed out, instead of in book form -- I get a bit bewildered.

#126 of 135 Old 08-24-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Maybe a silly question, but when I look at them -- especially just typed out, instead of in book form -- I get a bit bewildered.
Me too : That is why I am still trying to figure this all out. I would love to find a link that is just the actual book page by page.

Come to think of it.....I will check on www.oldfashionededucation.com

#127 of 135 Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Ok...guterburg has it that way. : I already should have known that since that is how we used the book before

#128 of 135 Old 08-24-2007, 06:56 PM

I think you can still purchase it -- I mean, it's still being published -- so maybe there's some reason why only the text seems available online?

I found a website that 19th century schoolbooks on it, looks like quite a few. So far, everything I have looked at is scanned page-by-page, which I personally find only slightly less annoying than having no pics at all. I haven't seen the McGuffey's on here yet, though.

Here is a link to their Browse books section.

ETA: I posted too soon. Here is a link to a page that lists the McGuffey's readers, and so far, all scanned page by page. Not always great quality, but it's all there.

I pasted a page into microsoft word, and it actually fits quite nicely onto one page, though I can make it a bit bigger without going off the page. Either way, since it's scanned, it's not crisp and clear like typed text -- kind of greyish around the edge of each letter. I'm not sure how easy a read it would be. Maybe text capturing software would work -- I wonder if my dh wants a computer stuff project to take on

I found the readers through a link on this website.

#129 of 135 Old 08-26-2007, 05:26 PM

For anyone else interested in the McGuffeys, apparently Ruth Beechick has a guide to using them... link

Also, I have copy and pasted the McGuffey's Eclectic Primer into Word... I printed it up and it seems fine, though a little bit fuzzy, and on a couple of pages, the original scans were cut off around one of the edges a bit. But it's easy to figure out what it would have been and just write it in. So if anyone wants it, let me know.

#130 of 135 Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM

Hey guys! Sorry for "popping in" like this but I need some help.

I am doing my curriculum and I thought I had it all figured out, but of course I don't. What did/do you do for music and art study? I am following the ambleside schedule and have set art and music for 1x a week (for my oldest), but I'm at a total loss as to how to incorporate it. What exactly are we supposed to be doing?

Thanks for *any* advice!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#131 of 135 Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
What exactly are we supposed to be doing?
Well I don't know what we are supposed to be doing but this is what I do.

My kids are still young so we don't do anything with biographies or fancy terminology. For music we have one composer or musician (This year we are doing styles of Jazz) that we focus on each block (4 weeks). I get as many CDs from the library that I can find and we listen to them often, in the car, while playing, before bed, etc. I make often mention of the style or musician and hope that they will make the connection between the two but it is not my main concern. I am looking more for awareness and appreciation of the music.

We also study one artist during each block. We try to read a book or short bio about them (preferably written for children). Where they lived, when they lived... We look at our globe and plot them on our time line. We get a book of their artwork (I buy a new one each block because I feel it is a good investment! That and I am a book junkie ) and look through it. If you are concerned about nudity (we are not) be sure to preview it. Then we do a few art projects from Discovering Great Artists and Art for the Very Young. Those go into a scrapbook. We look back through the scrapbook at the end of every block and try to rename all the art styles and artists. Again, it is not that important to me that they know facts and figures; it is more about appreciation. I also check out the museums in our area to see if anyone has any of the artwork we are studying.
#132 of 135 Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 PM

Thanks for responding. You have some very good ideas! I love the idea of getting cd's from the library-I never even thought of that!

Yes we will be studying one type of music (or musician) and one artist for several weeks (or maybe months I'd have to check) and then switch. No I'm not concerned about nudity either. As long as it is tasteful.

Love the globe idea and doing some type of artwork...really, they're all good ideas.

Thanks!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#133 of 135 Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM

Where do you get the Dick and Jane books?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#134 of 135 Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Where do you get the Dick and Jane books?
I heard form one of my dance moms that they sell them at Barnes and Nobles.

#135 of 135 Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
I heard form one of my dance moms that they sell them at Barnes and Nobles.

And you can find anything on ebay. :-) Including kidneys. LOL:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page