Charlotte Mason Support Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would anyone else be interested in a CM monthly thread like the Unschooling and Waldorf have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sure

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Yes, although we're not purists. We plan on following Core Knowledge, but we will apply CM principles (short lessons, living books, etc.) Can I still post?
#4 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM

Absolutely. Where do I sign up? Oh...I should add that I just signed my kids up to attend a new start up school in our city that is a Charlotte Mason school. I don't homeschool (per se). Can I join?
#5 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

subbing
#6 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 PM

Sure, although I only visit this board once or twice per week.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#7 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine View Post
Yes, although we're not purists. We plan on following Core Knowledge, but we will apply CM principles (short lessons, living books, etc.) Can I still post?
Absolutely!! We are not purists either. We use a secular approach for one. We also don't do a formal Nature Study. In place of that we do a more modern Science curriculum. We make it a point to get out in nature and such but we don't do a formal notebook.

We do classical history (SOTW) which works just fine with CM and we will lapbook just about anything .
#8 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3happygirls View Post
Absolutely. Where do I sign up? Oh...I should add that I just signed my kids up to attend a new start up school in our city that is a Charlotte Mason school. I don't homeschool (per se). Can I join?
Cool, it might be interesting to see how what we do at home differs from the school setting.
#9 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM

Subbing too.
#10 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 PM

I'm here.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#11 of 135 Old 08-01-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah!

So does anyone have any great fun and exciting things planned for the beginning of the school year?

We actually school year round but take it easier in the summer. We are easing back in to our full schedule over the next couple of weeks.

DS1 had started reading Charlotte's Web but asked if he could read the Harry Potter series. This coming from a child who hates to read. Well I couldn't say no so we have put Charlotte on the back burner for a while. This will surely mess up my schedule but I may just have to get audio books for those and let him read HP. I'm not sure how CM friendly HP is but I have to give him credit for taking on such a big series.
#12 of 135 Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM

I'd like to join. This will be our first year *really* hsing (we just kinda skipped kindergarten), so also our first year doing CM.
We'll be using SOTW also. I just received it, and am really excited to start. I don't know when we'll start, however, as I'm still getting other stuff (science curriculum, classical music cd's etc). My big plan for the start of the school year is to have a baby - maybe for the first month we'll have a "unit study" on "how to care for a newborn"

Mama to three  
#13 of 135 Old 08-02-2007, 04:31 PM

I'm interested. I'm still exploring our "options" ~ and am very attracted to CM.

Aparently, I need to be filled in: what's SOTW??? :
#14 of 135 Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shy2post View Post
I'm interested. I'm still exploring our "options" ~ and am very attracted to CM.

Aparently, I need to be filled in: what's SOTW??? :
Story of the World

It is technically a "Classical Eduction" History program but CM and Classical theories on History study are almost the same.
#15 of 135 Old 08-02-2007, 11:47 PM

This will be our first year of really hs'ing too. Although we did start some things last year for kindergarten. We're planning on using Ambleside Online's book list. I'm still just planning right now...probably will officially start at the beginning of September.

Here's my idea for nature study - we have a membership to our local botanical gardens. I'm thinking of setting aside one afternoon a week to go hang out there and maybe take our drawing supplies etc. Is this a crazy idea? My kids spend a lot of time in our backyard already, but I was trying to think of a way to make it more intentional. Am I over-thinking this? Probably.
#16 of 135 Old 08-03-2007, 12:01 AM

i want in~
mamarasheika
#17 of 135 Old 08-03-2007, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Mommy View Post
Here's my idea for nature study - we have a membership to our local botanical gardens. I'm thinking of setting aside one afternoon a week to go hang out there and maybe take our drawing supplies etc. Is this a crazy idea? My kids spend a lot of time in our backyard already, but I was trying to think of a way to make it more intentional. Am I over-thinking this? Probably.
That sounds like a great idea! I might steal it!!
#18 of 135 Old 08-03-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninevp922 View Post
I'd like to join. This will be our first year *really* hsing (we just kinda skipped kindergarten), so also our first year doing CM.
Same here. I unschooled last year and this year I want to try a more structured approach.

Any thread that frogguruami starts I'm in.

I would love to hear what books/curriculum everyone here uses or will use. Nature study....haven't given that one much thought yet. Let get the ideas flowing!
#19 of 135 Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 AM

can someone explain what cm entails?
#20 of 135 Old 08-03-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I would love to hear what books/curriculum everyone here uses or will use. Nature study....haven't given that one much thought yet. Let get the ideas flowing!
We're going to use Story of the World for history, NOEO for science (the biology one), RightStart math, and whatever we get from the library for literature. I'm going to "wing" the rest, although I'm wondering about how to teach reading. Any ideas?

Mama to three  
#21 of 135 Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
can someone explain what cm entails?
I think the best site out there is SimplyCharlotteMason.com More info there than I can type out tonight!!

AM
#22 of 135 Old 08-03-2007, 12:25 PM

I agree that www.simplycharlottemason.com explains a lot. Also Wikipedia has a pretty straighforward article about her and her methods.

We have only been homeschooling since Jan of this year, and in that half year I found that my daughter really needs a structured approach. So this fall I am going to try harder to "do" Charlotte Mason--so far I have just been loosely incorporating some aspects of it.

Short, timed lessons especially are really needed for my dd because otherwise she will daydream and dawdle forever. I'm going to make a timetable as well and try to stick to it.

And I'm going to try harder to make sure my kids spend as much time as possible outside. Lots of outside time should be one of the benefits of homeschooling!

I'm reading the first book in her Original Homeschooling Series right now, and I'm really enjoying it and getting some great ideas. Although a few things she mentions in there are laughably out of date (for example mentions of governesses), overall I think her approach to education is wonderful. I like that it is gentle and yet firm, and I love that she places first importance on the development of the child as whole person, not just their intellectual development.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#23 of 135 Old 08-03-2007, 05:43 PM

oh I'm so excited that this thread has started. I have been acquiring the books for ambleside y0 and y1. My daughter is only 4 so we haven't formally started, but I've been researching and preparing for when the time comes. Actually to start I've been reading some unabridged classics and narrating to myself. I'm amazed at how much more I remember by doing this.

When I read to my dd I ask simple questions to try to get her talking about the story. We have also used finger puppets to act out fairy tales she knows.

I will be implementing the y0 curriculum for 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. I keep most lessons fairly short, she still doesn't care for the longer chapter books. I've also started playing french childrens' music during her playtime (this is also my housekeeping time). We also listen to classical and folk songs as well.

As for nature studies, that's my biggest challenge. I try to take her out to parks and nature museums at least once or twice a week. Sending her outside to play for very long isn't much of an option yet. Some day hopefully we'll have our own house with a yard...

Anyway, I truly hope this will be an ongoing thread!
#24 of 135 Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 PM

We don't do too much outside play during the day here in the summer. It's too hot. The boys play outside more during the winter.

We are going canoing tomorrow though. (If Ds feels up to it...he has a fever)

What are some things we can do on the canoe? I'm thinking of asking ds to draw a picture of some of the things he sees.
#25 of 135 Old 08-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Kleine Hexe,
How was the canoe trip?

Mama to three  
#26 of 135 Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 PM

The boys had fun on the canoe trip. I didn't go. My mom does not like outdoor activities so I stayed with her and we went "school" shopping. So the boys went with DH and my dad. They are drawing pictures of what they saw.

Another thing that I think I will start doing is having the boys make up stories. They will tell me a story and I will write it on paper for them since they do not write yet. I saw this on the DVD "Raising Cain" in one of the kindergarten classes this is what a teacher did once a week.
#27 of 135 Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
Another thing that I think I will start doing is having the boys make up stories. They will tell me a story and I will write it on paper for them since they do not write yet. I saw this on the DVD "Raising Cain" in one of the kindergarten classes this is what a teacher did once a week.
That is such a cute idea. We did something like that 2 years ago. I bound everything into a book and gave it as Christmas presents.
#28 of 135 Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 AM

That would make cute presents. Hadn't thought of that.
#29 of 135 Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 AM

I'm in!

We're doing Ambleside Year 1 this year, and so far so good We did Year 0 last year and my kids really enjoyed it. I've gone back and forth on whether or not I want to try a different curriculum for my 3 1/2yo dd who wants to do school too, but I think she's just going to kind of tag along for now She has her own math, nature study book, and phonics stuff to work on, and then she understands the art, music, etc... so the only thing that is left is the book list because she can't quite grasp the Year 1 materials (duh, she's still really little.) We'll see... no matter what we do, it will be from a CM perspective. I'm just not sure if we may try something else before she starts Ambleside...

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#30 of 135 Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 AM

I'd be interested. I'm hoping to hs dd (8) this fall and plan on using the AO schedule, though I haven't decided yet what year to start her in.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page